Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

Fitear1590's Five Top 5s of 2015

Fitear1590's Five Top 5s of 2015

Welcome to my year-end list! I'll be the first to admit that 2015 wasn't my favorite year in music. Sure, there were great releases or songs here and there, but overall, the year left a bad taste in my mouth with crushing disbandments/hiatuses (MoranyazzmadMy Fairytale, etc.) and underwhelming releases from so many of my faves: DIV's SecretNEGOTO's VisionKayoko Yoshizawa's Himitsu KouenOdotte Bakari no Kuni's SongsScenarioart's Happy UmbrellaDOPPEL's Röntgen, etc. With this in mind, I revamped the structure of my list and came up with five Top 5s: Japanese Artists, International Artists, PVs, Singles, and Surprises. In order to ensure the most breadth and variety, I made sure that there were no repeats throughout the five lists. Even if 2015 didn't seem that great when I started compiling this, I'm happy with the results and proud to share this with you. Hopefully, you find a few things worth checking out! Have a listen and be sure to let me know what you think in the comments!

Top 5 Japanese Artists

Chanty

You might not realize it, but Chanty is a bit of an indies VK superband, comprised of the vocalist of Administrator and musicians of ジミニークリケット(Jiminy Cricket)タロット-Tarrot-Chemical Pictures and more. I don't list these for name-dropping purposes--I enjoyed each of those bands back in the day and they're still delivering quality tunes now, even if in a completely different style. In their short two years, they have boomed in popularity, becoming the premier representative of this recent wave of indie rock-influenced VK. While it's difficult to pin Chanty's best release at this point, their album will at least be a good indication of what 'Chanty's World' is all about. After that, they released two additional singles this year, m.o.b. and ヤサシイコエ (yasashii koe). While "m.o.b." is one of my new favorite songs from them, two of the b-sides were a bit weak. The entire ヤサシイコエ single, however, is fantastic! Brimming with crossover appeal, Chanty is a perfect 'gateway band' for VK fans looking to venture into indie rock or vice versa.

The fin.

One of the earliest surprises of this review year managed to be one of my absolute favorites! Clearly with an affinity for more Western indie tastes, The fin. is a bit of an anomaly in the J-indie world, where angular indie and math-rock stylings are king. But they embrace it! With their gentle and dreamy, synth-kissed style of indie pop completely matching their aesthetic (see the gorgeous cotton candy-filtered PV below), they truly are the whole package. "Night Time" is so unbelievably catchy that it has the potential to be the new indie hit, like Grizzly Bear's "Two Weeks" or Washed Out's "

THE NOVEMBERS

After Fourth wall and zeitgeist, which mostly delved into THE NOVEMBERS "heavier" half, fans seemed due a full release dedicated to the band's "softer" side; the Elegance EP is the band's answer to this call. Almost all the necessary NOVEMBERS ingredients are here: sublime vocals, sexy bass lines, and an ethereal atmosphere so potently gentle, it's like being violently fluttered with angel's wings. One aspect that just misses the mark on Elegance is the twangy guitars. I had hoped to hear more development of the band's glorious jangly guitar, as heard in last year's "Romancé" or in the 2012 NOVEMBERS ~lite~ masterpiece EP  
PELICAN FANCLUB

PELICAN FANCLUB is hands-down my favorite band discovery of 2015 (thank you, UK.Project!). With two mini-albums under their belt this year, they've shown that they know a thing or two about fusing indie rock with jangly guitar bliss. This is particularly showcased on ANALOG, their Tower Records limited-release from early in their year. Their second mini, self-titled, introduces a bit more diversity. The release opens with the dense shoegaze showstopper "Chilico". Prepare to be smacked in the face with an ethereal wall of guitar noise. The next track "プラモデル (pura model)" jarringly combines the two-sides of THE NOVEMBERS, weaving in and out of loud, grungey choruses and euphoric verses with vibrant guitar lines and robust drumming. Later in the mini, the emotional alternative anthem "ファ (fa)" is sure to impress; fans of slow, eruptive indie rock à la Itsue's "ラブレターフロム (love letter from)" or even caroline rocks' "Tokyo ice age" will likely be onboard. The middle of the mini-album (much like ANALOG) leans more towards a western indie sensibility, citing British indie pop guitar and the tremolo stylings of Vampire Weekend (@doombox originally made this comparison and I can definitely hear it now!). As if I didn't love the band enough musically, vocalist Endo Anri is so refreshing with his clear voice. I could strongly recommend every song from the PELICAN FANCLUB mini, except maybe the closer, only because the first six tracks set the bar so high. All I can say is don't just try one song from the band. I thought I had their sound pegged--as great as it was--after listening to "Dali," but the full release took me by wonderful surprise. There is so much to enjoy from these fresh faces in the scene and I hope they have a productive 2016 as well. Sign me the hell up for the PELICAN FANCLUB fanclub!

Dancing Queen:
Chilico:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86idQWINUZA

ユナイト (UNiTE.)

Surprise, surprise! As you might know, UNiTE. is my favorite active VK band. With a one-man live DVD, single マーブル (marble), and 4th album UNiVERSE, they had a good year! While "scenes" was already one of my favorite tracks from the band's third album—and a bonus track at that!—their live revamping is just fantastic! Live keyboard and sax from guest musicians NAOKI and RUPPA give the song some extra kick. Everyone else gives their best, but Sana's drumming is especially notable. Being that this live DVD documents his debut show with the band, I think he helped deliver an awesome first impression! "Marble" is the debut composition from Sana. How does he stack up? Well, he definitely sounds like he belongs! In fact, I wouldn't have a hard time believing that guitarist Shiina Mio had actually written the pleasantly heavy, yet twinkly track. Yui's vocals are as agile as ever, effortlessly gliding through gentle verses and powerful choruses. UNiVERSE delivers a patchwork of different sounds and after looping it this year, I can safely say that "zouka to uso" is my favorite--Sana also composed this one! He took the new album as an opportunity to show off more of his songwriting, penning about a third of it! This track recalls the mellow, but emotional atmosphere of past UNiTE. tracks like "青と白のコトバ (ao to shiro no kotoba)" and "ハートレス クラシックメモリー (heartless classic memory)". In 2016, they're slated to release a new single and they've already debuted their new art-kei-esque promo pics... If that's any indication of the sound they're going for, I am beyond excited!

zouka to uso:

Top 5 International Artists

Alina Baraz & Galimatias

As far as I know, the collaboration of American vocalist Alina Baraz and Danish producer Galimatias originated on SoundCloud--what an amazing pair they are. The combination of her angelic vocals and his chill-tastic beats is a match made in heaven. If you like what you hear in the samples below, then you are in for a treat. Their Urban Flora EP is 8 songs of sexy bliss and there's not a dud in the bunch.

Autotelic

Autotelic is an electro/pop-rock outfit from the Philippines. The majority of their songs are performed in Tagalog, but "Unstable," a ballad number, is also beautifully sung in English. Their self-titled mini-album from this year compiles some of their older EP tracks with a handful of new songs. What I like most about them is the fact that their songs build up slowly.

https://soundcloud.com/autotelicmusic/misteryoso-radio']

Beach House

Dream-pop duo Beach House last released an album in 2012. This year, they gifted us TWO albums: Depression Cherry and Thank Your Lucky Stars. Fans of the band's previous work will likely also enjoy the tunes here. One of the subtle differences I can discern from the band's 2012 album Bloom is the improved drum sound. However, there are also a few surprises, such as the glorious choir-like finisher on Depression Cherry, "Days of Candy." All in all, it was a great year for the band, made even more grandiose with a second album's worth of material.

Grimes

Like Beach HouseGrimes also made a return from a 3 year slumber with her new album Art Angels. While generally more accessible than the ghostly (or "witchy"?) singing on her last album, I would say that the music is much more complex. When I think back to 2012 hits like "Genesis" and "
Postmodern Jukebox

You've probably encountered one of Postmodern Jukebox's live covers on YouTube. Providing jazz, swing, big band, and otherwise "vintage" versions of modern pop songs, they are the one way I can finally enjoy listening to the likes of Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Kesha, Jason Derulo, and more. Very rarely, they cover songs that I already love (see their Strokes cover) and they still manage to put a fresh spin on them. The man behind all the arrangements is pianist Scott Bradlee. By organizing a rotation of talented vocalists and backing musicians, his group has successfully covered 100+ tunes since late 2013--and believe me, they don't just churn out crap like their pop brethren. 2015 saw four of their cover collections released, with Selfies on Kodachrome and Top Hat on Fleek being my favorites. If you're a fan, help me get the MH >Postmodern Jukebox thread going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwuq8GI8LME

Top 5 PVs

己龍 (Kiryu) - 九尾 (kyuubi)

The always dependable Kiryu! Upping the ante of previous spooky, violent PVs like "
"Anything" by TOPS

Always a blast from the past, TOPS takes a slightly darker turn in their latest 80s-inspired number. Vocalist Jane Penny also gives one of her best performances. Be sure to check out the music video as well, featuring abandoned Canadian cityscapes and VHS aesthetics.

ImageImage
"CELINE" by möscow çlub (moscow club)

möscow çlub first gained notoriety a few years back for being one of first Japanese bands to successfully crowdfund their debut album. Their second album just came out on September 30th, but they gave us an early taste with this single, featuring Amanda Åkerman from Swedish twee pop duo Alpaca Sports on background vocals. Despite some lines of awkward Engrish, "CELINE" captivates with its enchanting, ethereal atmosophere, calling to mind the garish beauty of twinkly 80s anime themes. It really hits the spot around the halfway mark!

Image Image

"Gabby" by The Internet ft. Janelle Monáe

The Internet's now Grammy-nominated album Ego Death is definitely worth a listen if you are into chill music. However, my favorite track by far is "Gabby," as it represents in the most distilled manner everything I love about this group: great vocals, tight musicianship, hot beats, and an unmatchably chill vibe. The Archandroid herself Janelle Monáe is even briefly featured, despite only doing soulful vocalizations, but hey, it's better than whatever "

"Sentimental Girls Violent Joke" by The Bilinda Butchers ft. Smany

We have underground label Zoom Lens to thank for putting this unique collaboration in motion! The original track by indie legends Number Girl and this intercontinental cover are worlds apart and yet, the result is beautiful! Japanese vocalist Smany and these Californians have managed to craft a completely different atmosphere, recreating the indie rock jam as something soothing, ethereal, and slightly... tropical? Whatever it is, the dreamy house combo is working wondrously inside these ear holes. Check out more of  Smany's music on Soundcloud.

While 2013  delivered the completely out-of-character "

a crowd in rebellion

@doombox's contribution on her 2014 year-end list singlehandedly introduced me to this group. Post-hardcore isn't typically my jam, but then again, most such bands that I've encountered take a "by the numbers" approach. If you like a little extra flair in your post-hardcore, then this is the band for you! They went major this year, releasing the single The Crow and mini-album Daphne. I'm a huge fan of the high pitched clean vocalist, but I know he might irk some people! Well, the harsh vocalist is there too. If nothing else, you should appreciate the band musically. While completely different styles, I think this band is similar in approach to the pop-rock band Scenarioart: dynamic compositions that are unpredictable, yet catchy. Highly recommended to post-hardcore fans looking for something a little different; I can see neo VK fans also enjoying them!

Archy Marshall

You might not recognize this name, but maybe King Krule rings a bell. Well, the oafishly-baritoned runt of indie is now trying his hand at... hip-hop? Releasing an album under his real name in a completely different style from his previous material, he's taken us all by surprise! And get this, it works amazingly well! While I found his voice to sound dopey at times before, it actually sounds a lot more pleasant with chill hip-hop backing. I think I'm here for this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Wc4lOp1Yg

川谷絵音 (Enon Kawatani)

It took a few years to win me over, but Enon has finally done it! The frontman behind two successful groups, Indigo la End and ゲスの極み乙女。 (gesu no kiwami otome), Enon produced five singles and even an album between the two this year (forgive me if my math is incorrect); he also already has material slated for next year. Frankly, it's too much to keep track of, but he also seems to have finally hit his stride, somehow continually producing great tunes! Just about everything I've checked out this year has been a home run, but my favorites have been Indigo la End's "夏夜のマジック (natsuyo no magic)" and gesu no kiwami otome's "私以外私じゃないの (watashi igai watashi janai no)". At this rate, the fear of burnout is very plausible, but I hope Enon has the good sense to slow down while he's ahead, so to speak. We'll see what 2016 brings!

GRIMOIRE

Comprised of the vocalist of embarrassing lip sync-roar band Diement. and the musicians of low-budget lens flare pop group PIECEGRIMOIRE is the unlikely phoenix, risen from the Dear Dolce label's ashes (and ashes). All kidding aside (I guilty pleasure loved PIECE), these boys have grown up over the past 5 years. Delivering an intriguing first single with ひとりトピア (hitoritopia), which you can see with the first video, the band immediately caught my attention with their use of atmospheric interludes--this is something I would not have dreamed possible based on their previous music. While their newest PV largely forgoes the ambiance, the music's production values have been amped up considerably. With sprinklings of creepy carnival aesthetics and riffs so chunky you could take a bite out of them, GRIMOIRE achieves what I've been wanting from neo VK bands like ペンタゴン (Pentagon) all along. Top it all off with unique zodiac-themed visuals and GRIMOIRE is poised to be one of the new darlings of indies VK. Let's hope they keep up this momentum.

滅びの美学 或は、加虐偏愛者の調性の確立 (horobi no bigaku arui wa, kagyaku henaisha no chousei no kakuritsu)

I felt compelled to include this band, if only for science. They are one of the most mysterious discoveries this year from their name to their members. How often does a VK band get inspiration from atmospheric black metal? Not to mention, one of the members has a sniper rifle. I'm not sure if this song is just a demo (so far, the song only appears to be available via their YouTube channel), but in all seriousness, the music is pretty intriguing. The calmer moments of off-kilter riffs slowly build up into a grim, sprawling mass that is nothing to sneeze at, coming from ostensibly newcomers to the scene. We may never again get dank forest kvlt sniper kei, so let's be grateful. I can only hope that 2016 will bear horobi no bigaku's first official release!

PELICAN FANCLUB

PELICAN FANCLUB is hands-down my favorite band discovery of 2015 (thank you, http://ukproject.com/'>UK.Project!). With two mini-albums under their belt this year, they've shown that they know a thing or two about fusing indie rock with jangly guitar bliss. This is particularly showcased on ANALOG, their Tower Records limited-release from early in their year. Their second mini, self-titled, introduces a bit more diversity. The release opens with the dense shoegaze showstopper "Chilico". Prepare to be smacked in the face with an ethereal wall of guitar noise. The next track "プラモデル (pura model)" jarringly combines the two-sides of THE NOVEMBERS, weaving in and out of loud, grungey choruses and euphoric verses with vibrant guitar lines and robust drumming. Later in the mini, the emotional alternative anthem "ファ (fa)" is sure to impress; fans of slow, eruptive indie rock à la Itsue's "ラブレターフロム (love letter from)" or even caroline rocks' "Tokyo ice age" will likely be onboard. The middle of the mini-album (much like ANALOG) leans more towards a western indie sensibility, citing British indie pop guitar and the tremolo stylings of Vampire Weekend (@doombox originally made this comparison and I can definitely hear it now!). As if I didn't love the band enough musically, vocalist Endo Anri is so refreshing with his clear voice. I could strongly recommend every song from the PELICAN FANCLUB mini, except maybe the closer, only because the first six tracks set the bar so high. All I can say is don't just try one song from the band. I thought I had their sound pegged--as great as it was--after listening to "Dali," but the full release took me by wonderful surprise. There is so much to enjoy from these fresh faces in the scene and I hope they have a productive 2016 as well. Sign me the hell up for the PELICAN FANCLUB fanclub!

Dancing Queen:

Chilico:

4c0d88551a94862a2e862b654bd7d12f.jpg

Great list, fitzzz

even though i dont know most of the international artists lol

and wow i havent heard of nemesis in a looong time, good to know they are still active ;;

Happy to see The fin. show up. I know they releases late for lists last year but their album was amazing and they deserve some recognition, absolutely. Also big thanks for turning me onto PELICAN FANCLUB. They are so great! They'll be on my radar from here on out. And I'm so angry I still haven't listened to the new Grimes yet. I knew it was gonna be fabulous. *furiously downloads* Also glad to see crowd of rebellion is still doing it for you. I think their sound is maturing rather nicely. 

Love the short but sweet top 5 lists. I wish mine could be so concise. Great job. ;)

was kind of expecting a yukino nod since u turned me onto his solo work this year, but he made it onto my list so ur influence is real LOL. also nice grimoire mention, i loved their boku to whatever (dkm) song it was circus kei REALNESS

Yeay! Chanty, THE NOVEMBERS and PELICAN... your artists were well picked.

I always thought this was Akuta's first band, thank you for info.

Yay, glad I was able to help! Here's one of my favorites from Admistrator: 手招く太陽

4c0d88551a94862a2e862b654bd7d12f.jpg

Great list, fitzzz

even though i dont know most of the international artists lol

and wow i havent heard of nemesis in a looong time, good to know they are still active ;;

And you get one of these for being a fellow PELICAN FANCLUB/Nemesis fan!

5526d79030737ba457f26f5cc41a3fd5.gif

And I'm so angry I still haven't listened to the new Grimes yet. I knew it was gonna be fabulous. *furiously downloads*

Hope you enjoy it! :D

was kind of expecting a yukino nod since u turned me onto his solo work this year, but he made it onto my list so ur influence is real LOL. also nice grimoire mention, i loved their boku to whatever (dkm) song it was circus kei REALNESS

Touché, haha! An obvious shortcoming of my list. He better get to work and make 2016 a productive year. He's due for a new DIMMDIVISION. release!

Where is your list though??

Really glad to see that someone else enjoyed Alina Baraz & Galimatias. That album is super easy to listen to and just hits all of the right spots.

Of course you know I can vouch for THE NOVEMBERS and chanty. I'm still open to retrying PELICAN FANCLUB too.

Kyuubi and Lianne are also great picks. What did you think of her album as a whole? That song by the internet is good too, did you like their album as well?

And yep, Enon was a huge surprise for me too this year. He's been on fire, and I'm hopping he keeps it up!

Good list, Fitz!

Kyuubi and Lianne are also great picks. What did you think of her album as a whole? That song by the internet is good too, did you like their album as well?

Good list, Fitz!

Of those two albums, I'd say:

The Internet's Ego Death > Lianne La Havas's Blood

"Unstoppable" was definitely the song that had me most excited going into her album, but "Green & Gold" has also stuck with me. Her vocals are so warm and beautiful, but I didn't find myself as interested in the music on other parts of the album. Maybe it'll continue to grow on me more.

With The Internet's album, on the other hand, I love the whole thing. Their style is so effortlessly cool and I enjoyed this one as much, if not slightly more than 2013's Feel Good.

Thanks for checking out my list, d00d! 

Sign in to follow this