SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

On 25.5.2016 at 9:35 PM, peffy said:

Shovel Knight - Playing on my Vita.. they really nailed the NES (or SNES?) retro feel. I'm a bit frustrated at how often I fall down holes and die because I misjudged how far I can jump, or some bullshit physics happened..  and the penalty for dying is pretty harsh in that situation. When you die, a portion of your gold becomes floating bags (at the place you died) that you need to grab, but if you die again before picking them up you lose them permanently. So I end up losing a LOT of gold because the bags are floating over the same pit-filled place I'm having trouble with..... Otherwise, I like what's going on.

This is one of my favourite games in newer time. I think it's absolutely brilliant, and everything from the gameplay, visual style and music reminds me of times when gaming was a lot better than it is today. I cannot explain just how much I love this game. 100% my cup of tea. My only complains is that I found it a bit too easy and I didn't die much at all, but other than that it was an excellent game!

^ Yeah, I've beaten 3 bosses so far and didn't have that much trouble with them. Died a couple of times on the first boss cuz I was still getting used to the controls, and I had less health. Didn't die a single time on the 2nd and 3rd, which is .. maybe impressive, for me.

-

I started up Yakuza 0 last night, and oh my GOD. Wowowow the battle system.. They completely replaced experience points with MONEY. Money is the one currency for upgrading & getting skills, as well as buying food/items/equipment. So the most hilarious part is that when you beat up an enemy, literal Japanese Yen bills/coins go flying out of them and you get that satisfying sound effect of clinking coins. It's ridiculous. It's amazing.

Here's a bunch of examples of how it looks. Also, yeah the person who made the video has 1 TRILLION YEN. (entirely possible, because I made 10 million in the short time I played yesterday)

ODIN SPHERE LEIFTHRASIR

My god this game is so wonderful! I've forgotten how fun and beautiful this game is... truly Vanillaware at it's absolute best, I's so wonderful how it feels like your are playing/reading a story book and the art is just breath taking, sometimes I find myself having to stop in between the action to just observe the beautiful backgrounds and character art. Of course this is a remaster and in that regard it is great one at that, every single bit of the game feels improved over the original PS2 version and it just makes a already great game into a even more amazing game.  Also playing this game at 60fps feels butter smooth like a 9 year game should obviously.

final verdict: Worth it! x1000

7 minutes ago, Kaye said:

Resonance of Fate!

Finally decided to actually go and play the rest of it after not having touched it much for years.

such an underrated game in my opinion :D have fun !

Resonance of Fate is one of the few JRPGs I couldn't bring myself to finish.
Something about the combat system thoroughly pissed me off =_= Just couldn't get the hang of it.

2 hours ago, Original Saku said:

such an underrated game in my opinion :D have fun !

Thanks! Will do :)

57 minutes ago, peffy said:

Resonance of Fate is one of the few JRPGs I couldn't bring myself to finish.
Something about the combat system thoroughly pissed me off =_= Just couldn't get the hang of it.

I understand this completely though. But I guess I just like to suffer sometimes. Once you get the hang of it it's alright, though I'm sure there's quite a bit of depth I still have to learn about.

I played the demo for Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, and I was a entertained for maybe 10 min, until I was bored. So I cannot understand the high praise it's getting right now.

Anyone else play the actual game and can tell me what I'm not seeing?

edit: Oh it's an HD remaster?!?

That $60 price point  is not convincing me any more to get this game.

Edited by YuyoDrift

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

I played the demo for Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, and I was a entertained for maybe 10 min, until I was bored. So I cannot understand the high praise it's getting right now.

Anyone else play the actual game and can tell me what I'm not seeing?

edit: Oh it's an HD remaster?!?

That $60 price point  is not convincing me any more to get this game.

Are you not familiar with Vanillaware? George Kamitani? Ring any bells?

games include Princess Crown, Odin Sphere, Grimgrimoire,  Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Dragon's Crown...

Like seriously Vanillaware is highly touted as the vanguard of 2D side scrolling RPGs in the modern industry, without them the genre would have probably died a long time ago. Before they came into the industry the 2d genre was heavily stagnated graphically. While a huge 3D graphics focus was taking place at the time, Vanillaware and George Kamitani were able to evolve 2D graphics and visuals  eventually into what it is today. Some of the most beautiful art and stories you will ever play will be Vanillaware games. In fact when Odin Sphere originally released on the PS2 in 2007 (at the end of the systems life cycle) it was considered the best looking game visually on the system by a lot of people and still is considered one of the most beautiful games of all time art wise.

The $60 price is justified simply because the only way to play this game before now was to either buy a PS2 copy and play it on there or pirate it and play it on emulator. For such a Iconic game in Vanillaware's catalog to finally get a re-release on modern consoles coupling with the fact that it's actually a superb remaster with lots of quality of life improvements, and increased visuals (like I don't even know how that's even possible, the original was already one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen) and added mechanics all running at a smooth 60 frames per second without any performance hitches.... yeah I would say this remaster is more deserved of the sixty dollar price tag than most remasters.

All I can say is give it a chance, maybe a few hours of play... the combat might be a tad on the repetitive side which is probably the only thing I can fault the game on but it's fun and to me that makes up for it. The story and art are the main draws for the game though, if after a few hours of play and you can't find anything to like in either then the game is just not for you, maybe try one of their other games instead since they all have distinct art and stories that differ from each other.

Finished the main-story in Borderland with my brother and two friends. It was way too easy and the ending was such an anti-climax, but overall it was very fun and playing together with someone just made the entire game much better. But I wish the bosses were much harder and more difficult to destroy. Shooting some fat fuck in the eyes for two minutes just isn't much fun.

Started on some of the DLCs now. Will play some of them before we start on Borderlands 2. Looking forward to that!

But all in all I'm happy with the game. 7,5/10. Great atmosphere, much due to the soundtrack and good humour.

5 hours ago, Bear said:

Finished the main-story in Borderland with my brother and two friends. It was way too easy and the ending was such an anti-climax, but overall it was very fun and playing together with someone just made the entire game much better. But I wish the bosses were much harder and more difficult to destroy. Shooting some fat fuck in the eyes for two minutes just isn't much fun.

Started on some of the DLCs now. Will play some of them before we start on Borderlands 2. Looking forward to that!

But all in all I'm happy with the game. 7,5/10. Great atmosphere, much due to the soundtrack and good humour.

The story DLC's are so much fun! Hope you like them!

Well I was playing a lot of Witcher 3 but since the new patch that dropped yesterday broke every single damn mod I had installed, I'll be taking a break from that game and playing something else until all my mods are updated... maybe I'll restart that modded Deus Ex playthrough I was talking about the other day in the upcoming game thread.

Other than that I've been playing Odin Sphere on and off the past few days. I'm also gonna be picking up Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE next week for the WiiU, so that's something I'll be playing a lot of soon.

borderlands: the pre sequel

Playing it with a friend, he had only played the first hour or so and I had never played it. Enjoying it so far, the zero gravity feature is a nice way to make the series feel a bit fresh. 

I also started to play Borderlands 2 by myself (No one seems to play this online on PS4 haha)

Never finished it, think I made it halfway on xbox 360 when it was first released. 

Playing as Krieg, I am dying alot haha.

Tried playing the Witcher 3 this week.

I'm such a filthy casual, that I feel dirty for not remembering what I did the last time I played it haha. I haven't even killed the first monster el o el.

Oh and Atelier Sophie ~The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book~ looks so kawaii!

So someone please tell me Mighty No. 9 is not as bad as the reviews are saying....... ANYONE?!?!??

I haven't watched any game play, and won't until my copy arrives in the mail and I play it for myself.

Wanna try out Overwatch but some sadistic SOB keeps renting the only copy at my movie rental store.

So someone please tell me Mighty No. 9 is not as bad as the reviews are saying....... ANYONE?!?!??

I haven't watched any game play, and won't until my copy arrives in the mail and I play it for myself.

The review excerpts I have skimmed over all seem to say that "if you're a die-hard megaman fan, you might like this, kind of, maybe"

Good luck

Sadly, I'm pretty sure MN9 is going to suck, and you will be better off playing X1, 2 and 3 all over again =(

Overwatch is GREATO. I'm totally hooked, it's great to jump in, play a few matches and go do something else, no time wasted, just action! It could use a few more maps and modes tho, but I'm sure Blizzard will fix that sooner or later

10 minutes ago, peffy said:

The review excerpts I have skimmed over all seem to say that "if you're a die-hard megaman fan, you might like this, kind of, maybe"

Good luck

Thanks. IGN/Gamespot reviewers are terrible, and the sheep that believe what they spew are even worse. I bet 1/2 of them have never even played most of the games from MegaMan to know how to distinguish Beck from the original franchise.

3 minutes ago, chemicalpictures said:

Sadly, I'm pretty sure MN9 is going to suck, and you will be better off playing X1, 2 and 3 all over again =(

X/Zero/Battle Network series are GOD. I think MN9 is supposed to mimic the original Megaman NES games of old times. I personally thought those games were infuriating lol, so we will see.

Edited by YuyoDrift

Thanks. IGN/Gamespot reviewers are terrible, and the sheep that believe what they spew are even worse. I bet 1/2 of them have never even played most of the games from MegaMan to know how to distinguish Beck from the original franchise.

X/Zero/Battle Network series are GOD. I think MN9 is supposed to mimic the original Megaman NES games of old times. I personally thought those games were infuriating lol, so we will see.

A gaming group on FB was discussing this game right now and I happened to watch a video of the final boss battle. I have to say that I'm absolutely not buying that game until it's like 90% discount on steam sale, unfortunately...

20 minutes ago, chemicalpictures said:

A gaming group on FB was discussing this game right now and I happened to watch a video of the final boss battle. I have to say that I'm absolutely not buying that game until it's like 90% discount on steam sale, unfortunately...

lol thanks for the input. At least it's $30 starting, so it may not take too long. 

I am a long time fan, so I had to get a special edition of the game.

Yeah I knew Mighty No.9 was gonna be a failure as soon as it got delayed like 5 times XD They really have no excuse for it either, they had somewhere in the ballpark of 4.5 million dollars from kickstarter and outside funding and over 3 years of development and just couldn't deliver... I feel really bad for the kickstarter backers....

It's funny though,  people are trying to say that for that amount of money it's no wonder they couldn't make a good game.... like four million dollars isn't enough to make a good game or something? Just look at Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin , both were kickstarter games as well and actually raised less than mighty no.9 but still are some of the best games to come out in the past few years. some people are just either stupid, really uninformed, or both :lol:

maybe if Inafune would of just made one fucking version of his game instead of splitting resources between a dozen different versions the game would have turned out better? who's to say? but right now I have a feeling nobody is gonna fund his next kickstarter project.

2 hours ago, Original Saku said:

maybe if Inafune would of just made one fucking version of his game instead of splitting resources between a dozen different versions the game would have turned out better? who's to say? but right now I have a feeling nobody is gonna fund his next kickstarter project.

It's funny you mention that, as I was just in an argument with someone earlier today about it. I blame Inafune for taking on other projects during the making of MN9, deteriorating his rep for each delay he announced.

The bigger argument here is this: if the potential of a game maker such as Inafune, or even Kojima and Igarashi, is going to turn out like this, then do we really  want to crowdfund or even give so much hype over something that hasn't even been planned out yet?

With that being said, I don't believe the game should suffer because of the mishaps between its release date. As all games being released now, MN9 was put on some pedestal by everyone, and was doomed to fail form the beginning. I hope Igarashi's Bloodstained or Kojimas new game won't suffer the same fate.

I'll play MN9 when I receive it in the mail, and give my thoughts on it.