CAT5

Recommended Tracks: November 2015!

Best New Tracks: November 2015!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which tracks did you enjoy this month?

• Develop One's Faculties - "insert memory"
    • GRIMOIRE-ã?°ã?ªã?¢ã?¢- - "ぼくとã?¿ã?«ã?? (boku to tulpa)"
    • umbrella - "軽è??ã??ã??ã??"
    • yazzmad - "Re:ã?ã?«ã?·ã?ªã?³ (re:halcyon)"
    • ã?¢ã?«ã?·ã?¸ã?¢ (akathisia) - "Inner C"
    • the GazettE - "UGLY"
    • A Ghost of Flare - "Fall Asleep"
    • Day and Buffalo - "é?·ç?? (kaminari kuma)"
    • KANA-BOON - "PUZZLE"
    • Mono - "Death in Reverse"
    • fox capture plan - "In the Darkness"
    • きのã?帝å?½ (Kinoko Teikoku) - "ã??ã?©ã?¤ã?? (drape)"
    • ã?·ã??ã?ªã?ªã?¢ã?¼ã?? (Scenarioart) - "ã??ã??ã??ã??ã?¸ (nana hitsuji)"
    • ã?ã??ã?¯ã??ã?­ã??ã??ã?·ã?³ã??ã?¬ã?© (Backdrop Cinderella) - "æ¿?æ??とã?¦ã?³ã?¶ã?¦ã?³ã?¶ã??è¸?ã?? (gekijou to unzaunza wo odoru)"
    • ã??ã??ã?ªã?¨ (Hitorie) - "ã?·ã?£ã??ã?¿ã?¼ã??ã?¼ã?« (Shutter Doll)"
    • ã??ã??ã?­ã?¼ã?«ã?º (PETROLZ) - "Fuel"
    • ã??ã?«ã?­ã??ã?ã??ぴつ (Macaroni Enpitsu) - "é³´ã??ã? (narase)"
    • BENI - "DEEP SWEET EASY"
    • Jimanica - "Warp Stairs feat. å±±ç?°æå¥? (Anna Yamada)"
    • Qaijff - "After Rain"
    • Rie a.k.a. Suzaku - "Passion"
    • muffin - "6æ??のç?©èª? (Story of June)"
    • ã?とã?ã?なã? (Ito Kanako) - "Cherish"
    • ã?ã?£ã?©ã?³ï½¥ã?ï½¥ã?©ã?³ã?¿ã?³ (CHARAN-PO-RANTAN) - "ã?¡ã??ã?¦ã?¹ã®è¡?き止まã?? (Mobius no Ikidomari)"
    • ã?ã?¸â?? (hazzie) - "è¨?念æ?¥ã??(Kinenbi) feat. miwa"
    • ä¸?十ä¸?十ä¸? (HITOMITOI) - "ã??ã?¹ã??ã?ªã?¼ã??ã?¬ã?¤ã?³ (Mystery Train)"
    • å??ç?°ã²ã¨ã¿ (Harada Hitomi) - "Overdrive"
    • æ°´æ??æ?¥ã®ã?«ã?³ã??ã?ã?© (Suiyoubi no Campanella) - "西ç??夫 (Nishi Tamao)"

Best New Tracks: November 2015!

As always, the Official Review team (ORZ for short) has returned with a batch of new and recently released songs to recommend to our fellow Monochromians! We've got a packed selection this month, so we hope you enjoy this edition! Take a look and feel free to comment or recommend your own tracks below!

Once again, we give a special thanks to @emmny for contributing a guest blurb this month! :D

Visual Kei

"insert memory" by Develop One's Faculties

albumartist

Who will save #artkei? It's the most pressing question of 2015 as moran, amber gris and yazzmad have fallen to the wayside. Cue Develop One's Faculties, formed from ex-cocklobin, and chemical pictures members. A promising lineup doesnt always translate to strong music, but "insert memory" redeems their prior missteps. It opens with a jangly riff akin to Moran's upbeat singles, but instead of the raw energy Moran packed into their songs, it has a restrained vocal line and sparse chords which lead to the chorus. If there's one musical moment you'll remember this 2015, it's all hell breaking loose in the brilliant chorus: 3 or 4 tracks of vocals are tracked over each other, all singing different words on top of a twinkling guitar arpeggio. It sounds like a chaotic miss-mash of several songs all thrown into a blender with a common guitar line, but it oddly makes for one of my most emotional musical experience this year. It's all a hot mess really, but DOF make it work and end up writing an odd and heartfelt yet incredibly fun song. Will they fill the hole left by your art kei favs? I'm not sure, but if the rest of their material follows “insert memory”, then there's definite cause to rejoice.

- @emmny

"ぼくとタルパ (boku to tulpa)" by GRIMOIRE-グリモア-

albumartist

Comprised of the vocalist of embarrassing lip sync-roar band Diement. and the musicians of low-budget lens flare pop group PIECE, GRIMOIRE is the unlikely phoenix, risen from the Dear Dolce label's (tears and) ashes. All kidding aside (I guilty pleasure loved PIECE), these boys have grown up over the past 5 years. Delivering an intriguing first single with ひとりトピア (hitoritopia), the band immediately caught my attention with their use of atmospheric interludes, something I would not have dreamed possible based on their previous music. While this newest PV largely forgoes the ambiance, the music's production values have been amped up considerably. With sprinklings of creepy carnival aesthetics and riffs so chunky you could take a bite out of them, GRIMOIRE achieves what I've been wanting from neo VK bands like ペンタゴン (Pentagon) all along. Top it all off with unique zodiac-themed visuals and GRIMOIRE is poised to be one of the new darlings of indies VK. Let's hope they keep up this momentum.

- @fitear1590

"軽薄ナヒト" by umbrella

albumartist

umbrella's latest releases fell off my radar and I only discovered them this month, much to my dismay. Being one of the few VK bands I actively try to keep on top of their music (which, ironically, I've failed in doing), their newest mini-album proves to be an absolute blast as expected. What truly caught me off guard was the second song. It's one of few songs out there I didn't see much in at first but became increasingly fond of the more I pressed play. The very obvious violin tune that comes in here and there with the overall orchestral sound is pushed right to the forefront, creating something truly memorable and worth checking out. The contemporary, yet classical, spin on the song makes this a true hit, and let's not forget those goose-bump inducing vocals and richly polished chorus!

- @beni

"Re:ハルシオン (re:halcyon)" by yazzmad

albumartist

Speaking of "art-kei" (shoutout to guest contributor @emmny's blurb!), yazzmad has been another serious casualty of 2015. Their final PV, from their last mini-album The Strange Bloomer, is actually a rerecording of one of their earliest songs. This time around, listeners are treated to more dynamic production and a smoother vocal performance, but there's plenty to love for both new and old fans of yazzmad. Feathery chimes, vibrant basslines, and ethereal twangy riffs set the stage for the band's final farewell. While a brand new song might have been an even better sendoff, I'm not mad at the band for choosing to revamp this song!

- @fitear1590

"Inner C" by アカシジア (akathisia)

albumartist

If you've been missing female voices in your visual bands like I have then Akathisia may help fill the void. Their style thus far isn't a large departure from the current popular trends in the scene. However, they keep things fairly light and melodious, which suits Cra's low and husky vocals quite nicely. The songs from the single are simple, but hold solid arrangements and strong musicianship with "Inner C" being my favorite among them.

- @doombox

"UGLY" by the GazettE

albumartist

Posted Image

- @Seimeisen

Rock / Metal / Punk / Indie / Alt.

"Fall Asleep" by A Ghost of Flare

albumartist

A Ghost of Flare are one of those bands who basically have one way of approaching their songwriting, and that is to go as hard and intensely as possible. But if you buy into AGoF's brand of metalcore, you're guaranteed a standard of consistency and quality with every single release. Though I would have prefered more new songs on the mini to choose from, since half have been previously released as singles, "Fall Asleep" remained an easy choice for this month as it is built to keep you moving from beginning to end.

- @doombox

"雷熊 (kaminari kuma)" by Day and Buffalo

albumartist

Day and Buffalo are a pretty obscure indie band. Formed some time back in 2007, they didn't actually release anything until 2013 with their first album My Short Brain. This year, they released a series of one-song singles including the track "雷熊". It's a peculiar song because it hearkens back to early/mid 00's Japanese indie sound, but also has a distinct western slant to it as well. Both of these elements play out in the song as well, as the spacey, desolate sounding first half of the song brings to mind the former, and the second, more melodic and rocking half hints at the latter. Day and Buffalo may fly under the radar, both in Japan and abroad, but they've certainly got a sound worth keeping an ear out for!

- @CAT5

"PUZZLE" by KANA-BOON

albumartist

KANA-BOON is a band whom I've seen around, but never properly given a chance--how fortuitous that they would release a split-single with Scenarioart! Scenarioart may have won the battle of the lead singles, but accounting for b-sides, KANA-BOON is the clear champion. Both "PUZZLE" and "ぬけがら (nukegara)" are solid pop-rock entries. "PUZZLE" is particularly memorable for me with its frenetic guitar riffs and pumping chorus. And for any fans of the VK band ゾロ (ZORO): am I crazy or could this totally be a ZORO track? From the Taizo-esque guitar works to the vocal cadences in the chorus reminiscent of Ryuuji (lacking the raspy delivery, though), I get nostalgic ZORO feels with this song. Although I'm sure that wasn't at all KANA-BOON's intention, it worked out quite nicely!

- @fitear1590

"Death in Reverse" by Mono

albumartist

It doesn't matter how many songs Mono puts out that follows their tried and true post-rock formula; each song manages to satisfy me like I've never heard it before. I feel comfortable sliding "Death in Reverse" among other Mono greats such as "The Flames Beyond The Cold Mountain" or "Ashes in the Snow". Best described as a compendium of strained emotion and chaotic complacence backed by an underlying current of anticipation threatening to explode into a wall of sound at any moment, it subverts all expectations by never quite getting there. It ends before it ever really begins, with the abrupt outro bring to mind garbled imagery of life and death lost to the never ending march of progress. Even the album cover is an infant surrounded by a crowd of demons, illustrating both "life" and "death" perfectly. Each Mono song is inspired by a story or a collection of feelings which the band translates musically. This time we were lucky enough to get comments from guitarist and main song writer Takaakira Goto, in which he explained his interpretation of the song:
"The theme of this track is life and death and regeneration. Even when our bodies decay and decompose, our souls will prevail unchanged. Our bodies will act as seeds for the next generation, while our souls will journey together into our new eternal life. This is the story we want to explore with our next album, a portrayal of our journey through life towards death; from living out our lives proud and high, to bodies immolating, infused with precious memories… and through the vast, noisy tunnel of space, we become pure souls – a single drop of water in the fountain of life.“
Mono in 2016 can't come any faster.

- @Zeus

"In the Darkness" by fox capture plan

albumartist

fox capture plan has always seemed like a promising act on paper - two musicians from quality jazz bands JABBERLOOP and Immigrant's Bossa Band and one from ever-so-quirky, math-rock outfit nhhmbase. One would expect an interesting outcome at least, but this trio's output has been lukewarm at best. They've attempted to fuse jazz and post-rock, and instead of finding a happy medium between the two genres, they've only achieved a diluted mix that does neither style justice. These guys may finally be on their way to discovering their niche with "Butterfly", though. The use of orchestral instruments, particularly on tracks like "In the Darkness", seems to do wonders for their sound. Melodies that may have once been regarded as cheesy, now appear as cinematic and compelling. fox capture plan may leave much to be desired, but this is certainly a step in the right direction!

- @CAT5

"ドライブ (drape)" by きのこ帝国 (Kinoko Teikoku)

albumartist

After the release of Kinoko Teikoku's first mini album in 2012, they quickly became one of the 'it' bands among Japanese indie fans abroad with their emotionally charged shoegaze sound. Unfortunately, their second album "フェイクワールドワンダーランド (Fake World Wonder Land)" saw the band take a sharp turn into accessible territories, and now, on Kinoko's third full album and major debut, "猫とアレルギー (Neko to Allergie)" they've gone full-blown pop-rock. It should go without saying that fans partial to their early works probably won't have much to get excited about, but the mid-album track "ドライブ (drape)" might offer a bit of consolation. It's an ethereal, somber, and slow-burning number where the band almost sound like a Japanese Warpaint. It's still not the compelling shoegaze that some us had hoped for, but where this band is heading, this is as good as it gets!

- @CAT5

"ナナヒツジ (nana hitsuji)" by シナリオアート (Scenarioart)

albumartist

Scenarioart was just one of many bands to disappoint me when it came to full albums this year (*sideyes NEGOTO, Kayoko Yoshizawa, et al.*). However, their new split-single with KANA-BOON is a step back in the right direction. The band has always excelled at intertwining the vocals of drummer Kumiko and guitarist Kousuke. Lead single "nana hitsuji," one of the band's darkest compositions in a while, delivers that in spades. While the b-sides to this single are more in line with the overly poppy tracks from the Happy Umbrella album, songs like this are what prove that Scenarioart can be a formidable foe when it comes to bridging pop and indie sensibilities.

- @fitear1590

"激情とウンザウンザを踊る (gekijou to unzaunza wo odoru)" by バックドロップシンデレラ (Backdrop Cinderella)

albumartist

After the release of Backdrop Cinderella's third album back in 2011, I was hooked on their kooky punk style. Since then, they've unfortunately been rather hit and miss. The latest single from their seventh album OPA!, however, is brimming with all the best Backdrop Cinderella signatures: tight guitar work, groovy basslines, and folksy melodies, all delivered with unbridled energy, ensuring a compositional feat that will keep you on your toes. Each member also contributes to the vocal patchwork, whether through chanting or gang vocals. The fun PV was filmed in what looks like a VK church!

- @fitear1590

"シャッタードール (Shutter Doll)" by ヒトリエ (Hitorie)

albumartist

Hitorie's music ranges from decent to brilliant, and while their latest mini album was a bit lower on the quality rung, they've stepped their game back up on with their follow-up single "シャッタードール". Wowaka's vocaloid-esque, rapid-fire crooning and the vibrant riffs that we've come to love are all in top shape, but the song is also the funkiest tune they've churned out so far. Interestingly, the other 2 songs on the single are instrumental, but this song jams so much that it doesn't even matter. If you're not doing this while listening, then I'm not sure what to tell you. At any rate, Hitorie has another new single set for release in the new year, and if "シャッタードール" is any indication, then they're headed for great things!

- @CAT5

"Fuel" by ペトロールズ (PETROLZ)

albumartist

Pretrolz's "fuel" was released as a tower records-limited single last year and it ended up being one of on my favorite tracks from 2014, and now that Ukigumo and the crew have finally put out an album with it, I'd be remiss not to feature it this month! It's on their latest album titled "Renaissance", which while a welcome revival of groovy retro sounds, was a bit too stiff and by-the-books overall. "Fuel", however" remains the highlight - it's incredibly catchy and just quirky enough to compliment Ukigumo's predominantly flat vocals. If you were a fan of post-Adult Tokyo Jihen, then it should become clear after hearing this that Uki was the man that brought the funk to Shiina Ringo's 'fab'. In fact, the only thing that could make this track better would be signature vocals from the queen Ringo herself!

- @CAT5

"鳴らせ (narase)" by マカロニえんぴつ (Macaroni Enpitsu)

albumartist

Released way back in January of this year, I had completely skimmed past this EP and just by chance I stumbled upon it blindly. While much of the EP itself is very copy-and-paste, the catchiness of each song cannot be ignored. This is especially true when it came to its choruses, and in particular, '鳴らせ's. This a tune you definitely won't forget about, with plenty of energy and punch to it to keep you coming back for more.

- @beni

Pop / Electronic / R&B / Hip-Hop / Other

"DEEP SWEET EASY" by BENI

albumartist

Thanks to the teaser for BENI's latest album Undress, waiting for its release was painful. While the majority of the tracks are your typical modern Jpop tunes trying to pass as American music, a song that truly stands out is the slower paced "DEEP SWEET EASY". The beat and vocal delivery is rather reminiscent of Leona Lewis, but while the American influence is very obvious throughout (check out that spoken dialogue part toward the end) and possibly causing it to sound more cheesy than romantic and soothing, it's one outstanding track from the mostly wishy-washy album and a breath of fresh air in and out of it.

- @beni

"Warp Stairs feat. 山田杏奈 (Anna Yamada)" by Jimanica

albumartist

If you're discussing Japanese electronic producers, then you're almost guaranteed to see names dropped like Yasutaka Nakata (the man behind capsule and kyary), legends Cornelius and TOWA TEI, and even up-and-comer TOFUBEATS. But Jimanica, given his relative obscurity, probably won't be falling off of anyone's lips anytime soon. He's definitely worth a mention, though. Keen fans might remember Yakushimaru Etsuko's 2010 collaboration with d.v.d (drums video drums) - well that band was started Jimanica and his recent solo works have taken on a similar makeup to that venture. His latest album Grand Age isn't the greatest display of his talent as a drummer and programmer, but tracks like "Warp Stairs", featuring his partner in crime Anna Yamada, shows that he can create perfectly palatable, radio-friendly electronic tunes with the best of them.

- @CAT5

"After Rain" by Qaijff

albumartist

While organism is a very enjoyable mini album throughout, one track stands above the rest for the sheer reason that it's the 'quiet track'. But that's not the only reason why it's so good. Vocalist Ayano Mori's singing is mesmerizing in this number. Sometimes raspy and other times whisper like, each and every note she tackles is with precision, and it makes for very clear and outstanding vocalizations - especially with the 'la la la' parts which are insanely catchy. Its chorus is both endearing and totally addicting with one hell of a smooth beat that'll get in your head for the rest of the day. The accompanied male vocals in the background is a plus too!

- @beni

"Passion" by Rie a.k.a. Suzaku

albumartist

Epic is an understatement for this woman. If you haven't already heard about the splendor that is Rie a.k.a. Suzuka, please get to it on the dot. With plenty of mini-albums under her belt, she's a solo heavy metal guitarist who is, supposedly, in charge of all of the lyrics and music she comes out with. If true, then I can say for certain that she is severely underrated. While she has about two to three instrumental tracks on each release, it's the songs where guests vocals are credited where it's mostly due. This definitely goes for 'Passion'. The whole melody is gripping; the electronic elements during the chorus and end bridge are breathtaking, and the guitar solo in the climax is captivating. This tune will definitely get your heart and blood pumping!

- @beni

"6月の物語 (Story of June)" by muffin

albumartist

muffin is a little-known, singer/songwriter from the Japanese indie-folk realm and an absolute gem at that. She quietly released a CD-R entitled "茂みとイバラ (Bushes & Briars)" in September of this year, and like most CD-Rs, it's not widely available for purchase, but the contents are definitely worth the effort to obtain. "6月の物語" could serve as the poster child for muffin's work as a whole - sweet, but wilting female vocals laid atop a variable mix of warm and cold acoustic melodies. It's an enchantingly distilled folk sound, as if it exists outside of time itself. Fellow indie-folksters ゑでぃまぁこん (eddie marcon) also pitched in and played on this record, so if you're hip to them, then you'd definitely enjoy muffin as well!

- @CAT5

"Cherish" by いとうかなこ (Ito Kanako)

albumartist

Kanako's music is more so than not in the category of 'hit or miss'. The majority of her discography is mainly doujin related, and admittedly, it's in that area that she excels in most. This B-side to her most recent single, Calling my Twilight puts the title track to shame. It's a power ballad of sorts, and alongside Kanako's distinctive, nostalgic singing and emotional delivery, it's a hidden gem. And with a neat contrast of quiet verses and a loud chorus, what more could you ask for? "cherish" opens up sounding like a lullaby, but that's quickly pushed aside by the triumphant chorus and majestic vocals, becoming one of my favourites of hers.

- @beni

"メビウスの行き止まり (Mobius no Ikidomari)" by チャラン・ポ・ランタン (CHARAN-PO-RANTAN)

albumartist

After being active for a good six years, this fun-loving, sibling duo finally made their major debut in 2014, and their jovial brand of circus-pop has been an exciting and refreshing spectacle to behold in the mainstream Jpop world. CHARAN-PO-RANTAN's latest single "メビウスの行き止まり" follows their usual, klezmer-esque style and borrows a bit of the famous melody from Edvard Grieg's orchestral piece "In the Hall of the Mountain King". The song itself isn't anything remarkable, but vocalist Momo saves the day. Her performance is fittingly silly, and wavers back and forth from shamelessly 'kawaii' to hilariously deep and powerful. It's nearly impossible not to be infected with all of the joy bouncing through this song! Be sure to check out the PV for even more fun!

- @CAT5

"記念日。(Kinenbi) feat. miwa" by ハジ→ (hazzie)

albumartist

Rapper hazzie has sung duets not only with miwa, but also with SA.RI.NA, Ai from RSP, Misako Uno from AAA and others. What all these songs have in common is that they're ballads, with 'Kinenbi' being the best of them all. This is mainly thanks to miwa who sings in a higher register than how you'd usually hear from her, which is delightful. It makes for an engrossing listen, and with the neat contrast of her cute voice against hazzie's rougher one in the chorus they work magic together. I assure you, it's a ballad you won't get tired of swinging your legs to and joining in to!

- @beni

"ミステリートレイン (Mystery Train)" by 一十三十一 (HITOMITOI)

albumartist

HITOMITOI has always been a bit of an outlier in the Jpop world, not afraid to embrace organic or experimental soundscapes, and has often reminded me of the respected, Jpop-eccentric UA. Although in the past few years, she's found herself at the forefront of what seems to be a city-pop renaissance - a style that has even caught wind with idol groups like Especia. HITOMITOI's latest album "THE MEMORY HOTEL" is one heaping helping of city-pop galore, with 80's and early 90's grooves at every step. "ミステリートレイン" is particularly convincing - the beat and melodies are nostalgic, and HITOMITOI's performance is spot on. It's all very familiar sounding, but it also fresh enough that it doesn't sound like a cheesy rehash either. Smooth, sleek production and unobtrusive vocals - it's the perfect song to vibe out to.

- @CAT5

"Overdrive" by 原田ひとみ (Harada Hitomi)

albumartist

For an anime song (Valkyrie Drive) and one from Hitomi Harada at that, I'm pleasantly surprised with the awesomeness of this one. While the vocals might be a bit more overdone than I'd like to admit, Harada's singing is strong and rich in this, making the whole package really pack that powerful punch. It's a rocking number with a fierce and feisty factor. The song has even made me look into the singing seiyuu (a voice actor/actresses who sings for the anime their character is in) after previously being reluctant in doing so. If you like a hard yet cute hitter, then give this one a spin!

- @beni

"西玉夫 (Nishi Tamao)" by 水曜日のカンパネラ (Suiyoubi no Campanella)

albumartist

Suiyoubi no Campanella has been receiving an insane amount of hype among Jpop fans over the past two years, and although I've been fond of their producer Kenmochi Hidefumi since his 2008 solo release "Falliccia", I've never given them the time of day - that is until I stumbled upon the PV for "西玉夫". It's an absolutely gorgeous track that lines up perfectly with the video's aesthetics, and it left one hell of an impression! Vocalist/performer KOM_I has your typical, talentless Jpop vocals, but there's something charming about the way she clashes with Kenmochi's whimsical melodies and meticulous programming that fuses trap jubilance with electro ingenuity. It's a one-of-a-kind mix that's only vaguely rivaled by acts like Charisma.com. At barely just three minutes long, "西玉夫" is a short song, but it'll keep you hitting the repeat button.

- @CAT5

See you next month! :3

thanks for posting my blurb again yay!

im dying to hear the new yazzmad EP, re:halcyon was awesome. i think i'll enjoy this last one a lot more than their prior releases, reminds me of old yazzmad (remakes, duh)

i'll try the umbrella release, sounds like they're improving a lot.

i've been out of the loop with mono's recent output but i'll be sure to give that new split a listen as well.

as for stuff i'd recommend this month, the new HIGH FASHION PARALYZE was very interesting albeit hella messy sounding.  im a sheep for all things nagoya despite how improvised they sound but the 2nd track is one of my favs for this year.

@emmny I don't think Develop One's Faculties could fill the void that Moran left but I did really enjoy insert memory for what it was and loved the idea of different vocal recordings layered over each other, wonder how that would sound live ^_^

@fitear1590 I feel like GRIMOIRE - boku to tulpa is on a whole other level compared to their first release and I really enjoy the atmosphere and instrumentals  combined vocals on this new release.

Yes @doombox yes! Akathisia's single was on point and I enjoyed both songs on the single Dystopia!!! I'm so glad i tried this single out!

@beni the classical feel (violins and all) plastered all throughout umbrella's keihaku na hito gave it a very much groovy vibe and for some reason that music video really went with the music!

@Seimeisen I would say my visual single of the month is UGLY by the GazettE it was very well done IMO and the ending Goddess similar to most of their other singles that end with a ballad was glorious... Love Love Loved it<3

Looking through the other genres I didn't find anything that I heard that made you guys list but maybe next month ^_^

as for stuff i'd recommend this month, the new HIGH FASHION PARALYZE was very interesting albeit hella messy sounding.  im a sheep for all things nagoya despite how improvised they sound but the 2nd track is one of my favs for this year.

Amen. That second track was just too noisy when it was initially released with just vocals and guitar... but now it's almost poppy in places. I love it. (and the whistle in the first track... I can't defend the third though.)

November's best new tracks kind of highlighted that I didn't check much new stuff out last month. Definitely need to get on that DOF (multiple,different vocal tracks played on top of one another is one of my favorite things... probably the emo kid in me) and new Mono.

@@emmny I don't think Develop One's Faculties could fill the void that Moran left [2]. I really like DOF and how they sound and line-up, but filling Moran's whole is not possible. In both terms, music and looks. @@The Reverend Try this, you will really like it. It's a perfect album.

@@doombox I do really like Inner C, personally I think it's better than Dystopia as well, and sound more familiar with her others bands.

@@Seimeisen

tumblr_nyolobDtRT1rwpswso1_500.jpg

@@CAT5 I'm glad to know you liked 猫とアレルギー album, it's a good release. Tbh I tried more due to the album art, the main track 猫とアレルギー it's my favorite, the melody it's very comfortable and calm.

@beni talking about BENI, why I'm not surprise? ;)

@@emmny I don't think Develop One's Faculties could fill the void that Moran left [2]. I really like DOF and how they sound and line-up, but filling Moran's whole is not possible. In both terms, music and looks.

that was a partial joke tbh, moran are irreplacable in so many respects [creys]. i still love them for their unique take, if they continue with this sound as they continue on the careers there's no reason not to see another brilliant band to rival moran. im not much of an optimist nor a DOF fan but ruvie and fatima were rough and look what ended up happening.

Ito's quick unfiltered thoughts! Watch as I lose my ability to think and describe!

Green = mhmm
Yellow = hmmm
Orange = uhhhhh
Red = uuuugh

VK
Develop One's Faculties - "insert memory"
A case of annoying vocals hampering a great track. I want to like this, but there is just something about those vocals that I find grating.

GRIMOIRE-グリモア- - "ぼくとタルパ (boku to tulpa)"
Marginal VK with crappy production. I'll pass

umbrella - "軽薄ナヒト"
At least umbrella took the time to find a have decent sounding synth violin, even though I think it would do that song's characters wonders if they just paid someone to come in and actually record the parts. The chorus is pretty bland, but the rest of the song is fairly decent, just a bit stale imo.

yazzmad - "Re:ハルシオン (re:halcyon)"
I mean, it's art kei alright, but that doesn't give it an auto pass. There really isn't anything here that is interesting - the song just feels so bland. It's certainly not bad, just feel like the filler track you would normally skip on an album.

アカシジア (akathisia) - "Inner C"
Is it just me, or is the balance on this track just off? Like the guitars just feels so loud compared to everything else that I feel like it is all I am listening too (I wonder if the music player we are using is doing something to the tracks?). The song makes me feel like this band has promise, which makes me happy since I enjoy the idea of another all female VK band (man, those female vocals are refreshing). But I will give it another release or two...

the GazettE - "UGLY"
much heavy. very edgy. tries too hard in parts but is solid on others

Rock / Metal / Punk / Indie/ Alt
A Ghost of Flare - "Fall Asleep"

Feels like a song I have heard a 100 times before.

Day and Buffalo - "雷熊 (kaminari kuma)"
This had me intrigued until I hit the vocals. I feel like I would enjoy this more with different pairing of vocals...they sound so bored. Dig the instrumentals though. 

KANA-BOON - "PUZZLE"
I'm not sure how I felt on this one - gunna go with I liked it lol.

Mono - "Death in Reverse"
This song is tits.

fox capture plan - "In the Darkness"
this feels far more mature than their earlier work, and I still liked that.

きのこ帝国 (Kinoko Teikoku) - "ドライブ (drape)"
At first I really didn't like the pop approach this album took, but after I got over it and stopped trying to compare the shoegaze to pop rock and took it for what it is, I found that I really enjoyed this album. Not my favorite track on the album, though I do enjoy it.

シナリオアート (Scenarioart) - "ナナヒツジ (nana hitsuji)"
oh damn, I really like this. Such a fresh feel to it. But fuck you guys for making me out so much green in a row lo.

バックドロップシンデレラ (Backdrop Cinderella) - "激情とウンザウンザを踊る (gekijou to unzaunza wo odoru)"
Fun but not really for me.

ヒトリエ (Hitorie) - "シャッタードール (Shutter Doll)"
mzS4nW2.gif

ペトロールズ (PETROLZ) - "Fuel"
Funky, though not quite my style.

マカロニえんぴつ (Macaroni Enpitsu) - "鳴らせ (narase)"
A bit too sugary and generic for my tastes.

Pop / Electronic / R&B / Hip-Hop / Other
BENI - "DEEP SWEET EASY"

Now we enter the section where it is going to take a lot more for me too like something since I am not really fans of most of these genres. This does not make the pass for me.

Jimanica - "Warp Stairs feat. 山田杏奈 (Anna Yamada)"
The vocals sound off  to me and I can't say there is anything about the rest of the music that makes up for it.

Qaijff - "After Rain"
Decent piano pop - much much else to say imo.

Rie a.k.a. Suzaku - "Passion"
Kind of sounds like a mess to be honest. That bass feels like it has no idea what it is suppose to be doing, and it like a nerd trying to hang out with the cool kids and just ends up looking stupid.

muffin - "6月の物語 (Story of June)"
I can dig it. 

いとうかなこ (Ito Kanako) - "Cherish"
Ito? Auto 10/10

legit though I actually dig her voice, though I feel the song is a bit too basic.

チャラン・ポ・ランタン (CHARAN-PO-RANTAN) - "メビウスの行き止まり (Mobius no Ikidomari)"
I have no idea what to think of this. Kind of reminds me of Wakusei Abnormal. 

ハジ→ (hazzie) - "記念日。(Kinenbi) feat. miwa"
I have never cared for this style of vocal lead pop over generic symphony and piano. It always feels just so uninspired - like we have the budget, let's check this type of song off of the box.

一十三十一 (HITOMITOI) - "ミステリートレイン (Mystery Train)"
It took everything in my power to not skip over this one after the first five seconds. Man, I can not stand this. Made it to the vocals just to make sure that it was 100% safe to jump off of this train.

原田ひとみ (Harada Hitomi) - "Overdrive"
 Calling these vocals overdone feels like an understatement. This dish tastes charred. I'll pass on this "Oberdry."

水曜日のカンパネラ (Suiyoubi no Campanella) - "西玉夫 (Nishi Tamao)"

Now this is interesting. There are certainly things that I feel don't work in this track, but its overall uniqueness and charm win out.