beni

#61: D - HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY

15 members have voted

1. 1. What was your reaction when D returned with this?

• Sweet! I'm lovin' it.
    • Tell/show me more, I'm interested.
    • Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, questionable...
    • Go back on hiatus and think about the choices you've made.
    • Had a different thought running through your head? (Tell me more, tell me more)

HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY
Artist: D
Single: HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY
1. HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY
2. Funny Bunny!
3. HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY (Instrumental)
4. Funny Bunny! (Instrumental)
5. レピドプテラ (Lepidoptera)
6. レピドプテラ (Lepidoptera) (Instrumental)
7. 兎角國の蟹 (Tokakukuni no Kani)
8. 兎角國の蟹 (Tokakukuni no Kani) (Instrumental)
9. HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY (Wonderland Remix ver.)

Rating: :_8.5/10_: | Hey, I can dig this!

I'll come clean right now and say that I've never been able to appreciate D. I have listened to both VAMPIRE SAGA and Genetic World out of curiosity after noticing their popularity a while back but neither left an impression on me. As of 2015, their latest look sparked my interest for the second time. The Alice in Wonderland influenced attire went down well in my eyes because it meant a change not just in appearance, but sound too. I saw a chance and I took it. It's a welcome change for those, such as myself, who couldn't quite get into them before.

The concept of the single is just the tip of the iceberg. With four out of nine of the tracks being instrumental (all types-wise), I don't find the music as noteworthy when stripped of Asagi apart from the very cool and neat parts of riffs, especially in the title track. What it does manage to do without much effort is show off this fantasy-like world they're conveying, and that's evident throughout, so kudos to the guys for keeping this concept running strong.

D

"HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY" and "Funny Bunny!" are definitely deserving of the top spot on the single in every way. The choruses are fun, catchy, and most importantly, have replay value. They're two sides of the same coin: "Funny Bunny" has its hyperactive, SuG-like chorus while also filled with growls and aggressive, heavy playing from the whole band. It's a perfect mix. "HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY" oozes with goodness from start to end, sounding very much like disbanded Oshare Kei groups. Its flow is far more steady than the title track, and plays almost like an anime theme song because of its structure and sound.

Asagi's vocals in "レピドプテラ (Lepidoptera)" are deeper here than anywhere else in the single. This really goes well with its opening sound that encourages Halloween-y imagery. The chorus has a very charming pitch. It's not as sugar coated as the previous two tracks, but the playful beat is still rather Oshare Kei sounding. The verses make the track seem to have a climactic build, almost like it's been ripped out from Disney's Notre Dame's finale. It sounds quite mismatched, starting out with spooky atmosphere that jumps suddenly to a poppier chorus. While at times it may come off as jumbled, at least it doesn't stay in one lane like "兎角國の蟹 (Tokakukuni no Kani)". If "レピドプテラ (Lepidoptera)" didn't have any of its charms I pointed out above, then it'd sound like "兎角國の蟹 (Tokakukuni no Kani)". The only welcome inclusion the track has is Asagi's high pitched vocals that I was missing.

Track nine was the only song I was worried about, seeing as it's titled as a remix: "HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY (Wonderland Remix Ver.)", but even that isn't as diabolical as I was expecting. The chorus is actually double the fun from the original! You're winning me over, D. Possibly the one most obvious catch with this sound change is the lack of Asagi showing off. From what I've heard of D, his vibrato, growls and high pitched vocals are almost non-existent in this single, apart from certain sections in only two tracks. You have the operatic appeal with background group vocals here and there, so it's still D but just coated with Tinkerbell's fairy dust.

While the majority may not be fond of this latest addition to their discography, think of those like myself who could never get into their music because it didn't do it for us. Now with a change of pace, this is the starting point, for myself and possibly others to finally enjoying the band. What doesn't do it for one person can be a blessing for another, and I believe this single is a fine example of this.

Support the band!

CDJapan

Japanese iTunes

Concept single are not a new thing for D - but this one is probably one of their worst. 

First off - you have no excuse for those synth strings and horns. those should be reserved for low budget recordings (and even then they still sound garbage). You should have the money to make it happen. In fact, you HAVE made it happen before - like Birth for example, which is a great song. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, IT SOUNDS AWFUL - STOP IT!!!

Happy Unbirthday is a garbage song with a riff that I swear they recycled from another song of theirs. Funny Bunny is a average song with tiny interesting bits and a terrible sugary chorus. Lepidoptera would be good if it weren't also a synth nightmare with a marginal chorus. Tokakukuni no Kani is easily my favorite track off the single, though I would hardly call that high praise.

You can add this to the list of things that D has done lately that I would love to forget about.

(Side note - If you only have listened to Vampire Saga and Genetic World, I think you are missing out on D's best stuff. I will would argue that The Name of the Rose and Neo Culture are their best albums)