Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

#60: 和楽器バンド - 八奏絵巻

Featured Review Question!  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Has this band won you over yet?

• Yes! Since day one.
    • I like a lot/most of their music. Something different but refreshing.
    • What they do sounds cool. I could check them out some more.
    • Good for a novelty spin once in a while but generally not for me.
    • Complete and total gimmick. Not interested.
    • I don't listen to this band but I'm interested in checking out some more.
    • I don't listen to this band and I'm still not interested.

Yasou Emaki
Artist: 和楽器バンド (Wagakki-Band)
Album: 八奏絵巻 (Yasou Emaki)
1. 戦 -ikusa- 9. 暁ノ糸 (Akatsuki no Ito)
2. 星月夜 (Hoshi tsuki yo) 10. 白斑 (Hakuhan)
3. Perfect Blue 11. なでしこ桜 (Nadeshiko Zakura)
4. 追憶 (Tsuioku) 12. 反撃の刃 (Hangeki no Yaiba)
5. 鋼 -HAGANE- 13. 千本桜 (Senbonzakura)
6. 風鈴の唄うたい (Furin no Utautai) 14. 華振舞 (Hanafurumai)
7. 華火 (Hanabi) 15. 地球最後の告白を (Chikyu Saigo no Kokuhaku wo)
8. 郷愁の空 (Kyosyu no Sora)

Rating: :_9.5/10_: | Another breath of fresh air blows from Japan!

Nothing seems poised to stop the powerhouse that is 和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band). The fusion of shigin, wagakki, and modern rock has not failed to impress me yet. "戦-ikusa-", "反撃の刃", and "なでしこ桜" have already been utilized as tie-ins for three anime, their music videos have impressive CGI and appear to have quite a hefty budget, their outfits certainly aren't cheap, and the packaging for their second album 八奏絵巻 (Yasou Emaki) even comes with a USB katana! That's just awesome. They've been steadily making waves and are the last rock band since Malice Mizer to garner enough national attention to go from fringe curiosity to major label act in three years. I've never had anything negative to say about them, except perhaps that they haven't recorded enough music. It's a common sentiment among everyone I know that give this band some spin time, so this is an album I've been waiting on for some time.

I'm glad to say it's everything I expected and then some.The transition between playing covers and writing music has been seamless. So much so that it's not clear at first what's a cover and what's new. But what's more impressive is how 和楽器バンド have gained an almost chameleon ability to swap atmospheres without losing their core sound. It's the only thing which keeps them from cornering themselves stylistically. This speaks well to how creative they are as musicians for being able to diversify so much without breaking their theme. 八奏絵巻 starts with their most straightforward rock anthem, "戦 -ikusa-", and from there the compositions and techniques increase in scope and complexity. "Perfect Blue" may even be the most eclectic blend of wagakki and rock I've heard thus far, and the trading between shamisen player 蜷川べに (Beni Ninagawa) with the vocalists during the chorus really takes things to the next level. However, do not confuse this "scope and complexity" with experimenting. Undeniable stylistic resemblances surface in tracks like "華振舞" and "華火", but the amount of control the wagakki assert over their style ensures that any resemblances don't come off as different variations of one song. It helps that they are deeply integrated into the performance of each track as well, never feeling like an afterthought or a gimmick.

wagakki-band

While they can swap atmospheres successfully without losing their identities, they're at their best when they're dark, mystical, and push the rock side of their sound to the max. It is those moments when the band comes to life. The progressive, unorthodox "暁ノ糸" is a perfect example of this. The subdued opening hints at something larger before all hell breaks loose and the frantic race to the climax begins. The shakuhachi and koto are important instruments in defining their sound, and both stick out during the rising action especially in this song. It's definitely one of the best songs on the album and was a great choice for a music video. "白斑" and "反撃の刃" are other highlights of the album, providing similar but equally satisfying experiences, and will appeal to those who prefer the more direct approach of the band. I also can't forget to mention "千本桜" (which at this point is effectively their anthem, sorry Hatsune Miku), which in it's third iteration has been retrofitted with additional guitar strumming and better sound staging. It's the little details like this that add to the experience of the album and make it more than just good.

The twin vocalist dynamic is one of the defining elements of their sound. Lead shigin singer 鈴華ゆう子 (Yuuko Suzuhana) gets the bulk of my praise for her expressive, emotive delivery. She shines brightest on the ballad "風鈴の唄うたい" but impresses with satisfying performances on every song. Her range and her ability to switch between enka delivery and regular singing is incredible, and her vocal melodies are sure to get stuck in your head. What is not to be missed are the efforts of 町屋 (Machiya), the guitarist and backing vocalist. He doesn't have as much range as ゆう子, but his voice is quite pleasant anyway. The two complement each other in a way that would make Kuroneko and Matatabi from heavy metal cousins 陰陽座 (Onmyouza) proud, and 町屋 even successfully takes lead vocal duties on "郷愁の空"!

They've got the looks, accessories, and budgets visual bands would kill for. They've got the musical chops to keep their mini orchestra together and they've got the creativity to turn their gimmick into a theme. It's never been a safer time to join the fanboy wave.

Support the band!

Purchase 八奏絵巻 and other albums are available for purchase on CDJapan

| Another breath of fresh air blows from Japan!

i like this, can i steal it?

i like this, can i steal it?

Sure. But how did you feel about the music or the review?

Im starting hear them, Its so good ;D

What's your favorite song?

Amazing review @Zeus, thank you.

I really like this style of music, at first this genre grew on me with Kiryu's Etsu To Utsu and later I found those guys with their Vocal Zanmai album.

I missed some info/releases from them since they are "general" not "vk" xD

But I'm glad that you did this review and I could get it.

I just finish the first listen from it, but I have to say that Perfect Blue, 風鈴の唄うたい, 暁ノ糸 and 千本桜 will be probably favorites from this.

"While they can swap atmospheres successfully without losing their identities, they're at their best when they're dark, mystical, and push the rock side of their sound to the max."

That's the most correct phrase ever done for Wagakki Band.

The dark sound of Hagane was the track that immediately stood out to me as well.  It is the heaviest I have heard them, and I think the delivery of the vocals by Suzuhana Yuuko fit well with the haunting atmosphere. 

Akatsuki no Ito and Tsuioku also were my other new favorites from the album.  Still a fan, and very pleased with their original compositions.

Sure. But how did you feel about the music or the review?

good, gave me kiryu + Hakuouki Shinsengumi op vibes

Sign in to follow this