Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Best new releases: February 2015

February is over and it's time to reveal your favourite albums of the month. The thread for january wasn't exactly a success, but I'll give it a new try anyway.

The concept is simple: pick 3 releases (albums, EPs, singles or compilations), write why you like the album/why people should check it out and be cool. As you hear new albums of the month feel free to quote yourself, remove one and add the newest one instead of it. At the end of the month I'll make a new thread for the previous month. That's all.

Rules:

Post three albums each

Add a linke to your favourite track of the album. Do NOT embed youtube videos. Just link to the best song. Not everyone have decent computers to handle all the videos.

And that is basically it. Ask if there's something you're curious about.

Go on, guys!

In before people post Camera Obscura by Lycaon as their favorite album, EP and single of this month

I haven't heard that many releases from february, but it stands between 6 releases for sure:

Solefald - Solefald World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud

Meleches - Enki

Negură Bunget - Tău

Glaciation - Sur les falaises de marbre

Devouring Star - Through Lung and Heart

Wormridden - Festering Glorification

I'll choose the three I've listened to the most right now, but tomorrow the list could easily have been quite different with two changes for instance.

Solefald-World-Metal.-Kosmopolis-Sud.-40

Solefald - World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud

If you are familiar with Solefald you know that you never know what to expect from these guys. Ever since their 1995 black metal demo Jernlov they've been doing something different than the rest of the guys, and with the exception of Red fo Fire and Black for Death, which was meant to be released as a double album, they've gone through massive changes from one album to another, always experimenting with new sounds and thinking outside the box. With World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud, Solefald's 8th album, they're on a new path once again and the title World Metal, as well as song title World Music with Black Edges, tells you everything you need to know about the album. The foundation of Solefald is still black metal, but they're playing around with a shitload of different genres and influences, but despite this, nothing ever seems out of place. It's all over the place, but everything feels natural and that's the big beauty of this album.

Bububu Bad Beuys? Yes, Bububu Bad Beuys!

476089.jpg

Melechesh - Enki

Call it Mesopotamian blackened thrash metal, middle eastern folk/death/black metal or what the fuck you feel like, it doesn't really matter . What matter is that Melechesh is still releasing fantastic music, and thee's no-one out there quite like this. This isn't a very original album and Melechesh has done most of this several times already, but Melechesh Ashmedi is a riffmeister, and after a rather disappointing album in form of The Epigenesis, he and the rest of the guys returns to form with an album full of fantastic, catchy and memorable riffs, brilliant atmosphere and mysticism that'll draw you closer to the sound of the album. The biggest difference between this and the last two albums, is that drummer Xul is out while their first drummer, Lord Curse. Lord Curse isn't close to being as good as Xul or Proscriptor McGovern, as far as the technical and creative aspect goes, but he offers something new, and despite being n the simler side, something refreshing in the band's sound. Cool drummer!

Multiple Truths

483886.jpg

Glaciation - Sur les falaises de marbre

After a fantastic debut, Glaciation, with members such as Neige, Winterhalter and Indria Saray, is back after 3 years, and this time with a new vocalist - RMS Hreidmarr of Anorexia Nervosa fame. They continue what they started on the debut, but the album isn't as dark and macabre as the debut. It's feels a bit more "airy" and lighter, with more inspiration from early Alcest than the mid 90's black metal scene. But this isn't as radiofriendly as Alcest, this is still a dark, macabre and grim album, at least compared to Alcest. Well, considering the extemely solid line up on this album, they were never gonna disappoint with their second album were they? Nah, they weren't.

Also, they've gone from having the worst album cover ever on their debut, 1994, to a very good and solid one of this. That's good!

I can't find a single sample online, so check out this song from the debut: Glactiation

I have yet to heard Macabre Omen's new album, Gods of War - At War, but I am 100% sure that it'll end up on this list as soon as I have heard it.

Waiting on an album that I have really really high hopes for, so gonna get back to this at the weekend (when I'll be able to listen to it). :) Just as a "spoiler": it'll probably be all Japanese releases for me this time. And no, not Lycaon. XD

sukekiyo ㅡ VITIUM  9/10

Favorite song: Foster Mother

B9qynbSIQAAVzTx.jpg

This is a magnificent mini-album from sukekiyo. The band has taken the essential from IMMORTALIS and condensed it into a 38 minutes mini-album, and also did a great work concerning the length. In this regard, this release is an easier approach to sukekiyo's music than the album was - VITIUM is well balanced, which makes it even more perfect and enjoyable. Every detail is worthy of being noticed. Kyo is perfect as always, same conerning his comrades, take a bow. By the way, it was hard to chose a favorite track and I suppose that you know why. Oh yeah, I almost forgot: special mention to the collaboration song with Toshi; amazing.

Melechesh ㅡ Enki  8.5/10

Favorite song:  Enki - Divine Nature Awoken - Full album

artworks-000100734349-5txd4l-t500x500.jp

Failing to be original, it's still effective. And it's exactly that efficiency which makes of this album a killer, a titan, a piece of art in Melechesh's discography, making legit to put this album in the top 3 of the band's best releases. What can I say besides that this album is fantastic? Not much I guess, since an album of this caliber deserves to be listened more than being discussed, you will agree. If you want a concrete indication: if you love this album, it would be firstly because of its killer riffs. My first opinion hasn't changed a lot, this album is a jewel. I see Enki as a big improvement compared to the previous album, I am glad. Decidedly one of the best albums of February, and also one of the best of 2015. 

Carach Angren ㅡ This Is Not Fairytale  8/10

Favorite song: When Crows Tick On Windows - Full album

B_Ams-dU8AEFFtu.jpg

They are a symphonic black metal band from the Netherlands, tagged as theatrical black metal by some people. Well, what's sure is that they're one of the best symphonic bands around. I am not a big fan of this band, nor I have never bothered to explore their discography till a few days ago. It's (almost) done now. I can say that this is a superb album and probably Carach Angren's best work to date. It was hard to get into it at first, but it really grew on me in the past few days till I ended up loving it. The symphonic part of their music is beautiful, and the lyrics are amazing as well. They could make a movie, a theater play or whatever with the lyrics of each song, I love that. Now, this may be a good album, it has it flaws. The first one is that you need several listens to get into it, and this first one can lead to a second which is that the album can sound boring - a totally misleading feel.

Other notable albums: 

- Hæthen ‎ Shaped By Aeolian Winds 7.5/10

- ONE OK ROCK ㅡ 35xxxv 7/10

- 黒百合と影 ㅡ 皮肉な種の卑屈な芽。7/10

- All That Remains  The Order of Things 6.5/10

In before people post Camera Obscura by Lycaon as their favorite album, EP and single of this month

Not me, lmao.

I like this concept though, for the record.

On one hand, there were a lot of February releases that I listened to, on the other, quite a few of them did not live up to my expectations, like One Ok Rock and sort of BBS, definitely ABC.  Leaving me with one nostalgic band and a lot of good pop.  The DAI album is basically what I've been hoping for since they got back together. Really hit it out of the park this time, imo.

Shinhwa - WE

• 얼음달

Do As Infinity - Brand New Days

• Rapunzel

김현중 - 今でも

Capsule's Wave Runner gets an honorable mention, but since I didn't "love" any songs from it, I had nothing to put for my favorite track lol. It was a very solid album however.  Conversely, I was a little underwhelmed by BBS's Shine Like A Billion Suns, but I loved the track Back In Black.

And yay I could only find one of my songs on YT, lol.

Sign in to follow this