Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Best new releases: January 2015

I really liked the concept that Cat and the lot made up and posted here and thought that we should have something similar for us mortals as well, but I will go with albums. I think it is a nice and easy way to discover albums released the previous month, so I think it sounds cool.

The concept is simple: pick 3 releases (albums, EPs, singles or compilations), write why you like the album/why people should check it out and be cool. As you hear new albums of the month feel free to quote yourself, remove one and add the newest one instead of it. At the end of the month I'll make a new thread for the previous month. That's all.

Rules:

Post three albums each

Add a linke to your favourite track of the album. Do NOT embed youtube videos. Just link to the best song. Not everyone have decent computers to handle all the videos.

And that is basically it. Ask if there's something you're curious about.

483159.jpg

Alucarda - Raw Howls

Alucarda plays fuzzy, filthy doom metal punk in the vein of Satan's Satyrs with lyrics about biker and exploitation films, horror and the occult. Just my cup of coffee. The riffing are sleazy, the vocals are buried behind tons of smoke and the production filthy. These danish motherfuckers nails everything with this album and it is nothing short of perfect. 10/10

To get an impression of what the band sounds like, follow The Filthy Few

Check the full album here: http://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/album/raw-howls

484007.jpg

Tarot - The Warrior's Spell

Tarot plays mystic heavy rock in the vein of Uriah Heep and Rainbow with a touch of Pagan Altar. This is a compilation of Tarot's 3 EPs released in 2014, as well as two new songs. Beautiful and powerful heavy rock with tons of mysticism. Music-wise the band isn't very original, but it doesn't sound like a carboncopy of anything either. Got lots of character, as well as charm and quality. And it feels good to have all three EPs gathered on one release. 9,5/10

To get an impression of what the band sounds like, go to the Twilight Fortress

Check the full album here: http://heavychainsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-warriors-spell

484304.jpg

Spectral Voice - Necrotic Doom

Dark, putrid and lurking death/doom with plenty of Rippikoulu and Eternal Darkness influences. Great, disgusting atmoshere, superb, raw production and awesome riffs. The band's third demo and by far their best one. Very, very promising band. 9/10

To get an impression of what the band sounds like, get close and feel the Rotting Auras

Okay, here it goes~

Apex+Predator++Easy+Meat+Coverpng.png

Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat

Napalm Death are of course a legendary band, but even so, it still surprises me how much quality they can still deliver. This album packs a furious tornado of death-grind-like energy as usual, with some pretty cool new tricks here and there -- such as the amazingly sinister opening track with its blunt industrial clanging (old Swans comes to mind). Totally recommended for fans of heavy and aggressive stuff!  :4.0:

EP+III+artworks000098564002v7j5p8t500.jp

Carpenter Brut - EP III

Catchy and totally retro "synthwave"? I can dig it! This EP feels a little bit darker than your usual brand of nostalgic synth acts, conjuring up images of desolate wastelands, mutants, zombies and whatnot. It's also full of non-stop coolness and has a very nice variety of tracks, leaning a bit towards the up-tempo side. Perfect to listen to in itself or as background music to some action-packed game even. :4.5:

Kvadrat+10fuckingstarswordpresscom.jpg

Vlasta Popić - Kvadrat

I've only very recently come across this Croatian group but they immediately won me over! A fun blend of jittery punk, noise-rock distortions and occasional poppy hooks that make it all the more memorable. There's nothing more to say really, only that you have to try it out, now. :4.0:

Some months this would be hard, but the following are really the only albums I had any strong feelings for.  Of the three, i'd talk up Knock Out Monkey the most. They've really come a long way to me since the first thing I heard, which was Skank Up I think. Anyone in to say, bands like One Ok Rock should check them out lol.

As for the others, I love the crap out of SEKAI NO OWARI because their stuff sounds like playing old RPGs and KANA-BOON is just solid indie, alt rock whatever you want to call it like, NICO, Galileo Galilei, Czecho, et al there's a million of them so.

SEKAI NO OWARI - Tree
Knock Out Monkey - Mr. Foundation 
KANA-BOON - Time

Here comes my contribution to this topic.

150211075742554053.jpg

Raised Fist - From The North  :4.5:

A very brief introduction for those who don't know this band: "Raised Fist is a Swedish hardcore band formed in 1993, Luleå, Sweden."

A great release from Raised Fist, they never disappoint. Love at first listen. Not even a track deserves to be unnoticed, it is really awesome. Almost all the songs are really catchy, the one I prefer the most is Chaos. But as I said, all the tracks are really good and overall the album is a real success. Highly recommended for hardcore/punk fans.

Listen to the full album here.

150211075742694554.jpg

Toundra - (IV)  :4.0:

Another brief introduction: "Toundra is a post-rock/post-metal/instrumental band from Madrid, Spain, formed in 2007."

I discovered Toundra near the end of last year, and after listening all of their stuff, I can say that this new release may be classified as their 2nd best work (behind (III)). To me, this band has everything to be an awesome and not-boring instrumental band. They proved it with (IV) which is a sensational album. It's ambiental, relaxing and yet can be aggressive. You can feel a harmony between all the instruments through your listen, which makes this album even better. I don't have a favorite track yet (only listened to this album 3 or 4 times only) but I'm going to drop here the promotional video for the album posted on YouTube: Kitsune. I could have chosen the song "Viesca" but sadly I haven't found a studio version of that song on YT. Basically, a band that I recommend you if you like instrumental stuff.

Full album not available on YT.

150211083052287490.jpg

Colibra – Damnatio Memoriae  :3.5:

These guys are newcomers (awesome ones, btw). I don't know when they formed (last year for sure) but I discovered them by coincidence and I really liked their music. They are a Progressive Metal/Alternative Metal band from UK. Their debut album is a good one for sure and it's worth giving it a try, reason here. The album overall is superb, and even if it has its flaws, it's still a good one.

Full album not available on YT.

That's it for me. These three albums released in January are the ones (among those that I listened) that I recommend you to listen to. You won't regret it, in principle.

Oookay:

Viet Cong - Viet Cong

Viet_Cong_self_titled_album_cover.jpg

Sample:

Genre/sounds like: read below

Take Marquee Moon, Daydream Nation, Bloc Party, This Heat and a tinge of something what Syd Barrett would do - and smash 'em all together. With this being done you will spawn a neat Canadian quartet avec two ex-Women (some might remember that band...) members called "Viet Cong" - and their self-titled debut full-length! The album might be a bit of downer with its weak indie (in my case "Continental Shelf", kinda) but genuinely cool, post-punky tunes ("Death", "Bunker Buster") will defo make up for partial snooze...

Bonjour Suzuki - Watashi Kobuta Tic

174006.jpg

Sample:

Genre/sounds like: Chara-meets-cokiyu-meets-daoko

Cutesy, young Japanese girl with neato taste (check her YT channel out, dem playlists!) and ASMR-stimulating, husky voice slammed one of the best newcomer AOTYs - in case you find my "soundalike" description enticing, but still have doubts, just go ahead and give her vids a chance! It might be just a mini but it packs some love for softer pop aficionados ;)

Carpenter Brut - Trilogy

5555356.jpg

sample:

Genre/sounds like: read Jig's post

Le collection of Brut's 3 EPs (incl. the one in Jig's post) - I think Jig summed up what I really wanted to say about this :D (pardon, my laziness)

Seriously, no one have anything else to add here? No one else checked out some good releases from january?

The year hasn't really picked up for me yet, but I may have some things to talk about for Feb!

Sign in to follow this