Sign in to follow this  
beni

benibana's best of 2014 list

Thank you for deciding you'd like to know about my personal favourite releases from this year! I know I can talk a lot, so I apologise for the length of this list. But I do hope you like what you read, hear and see. For easier access to your desired sections, please click on the links below for nagivation. For any questions about any artists, don't be shy to ask me about anything. I'd be thrilled to see and respond to any comments on whether or not you like the artist or not as a thread reply, so please just sit back, relax and enjoy discovering. And don't forget to take breaks and bookmark the page in case this'll take longer than the time you have free now! I have included a few singles and spoken in as much detail as I see fit so some might be review length and others, not so much, to keep it looking as balanced as possible. Sampled track titles will be said in brackets when discussing the release. If not, it's because it's the album title's name. I've also included links to other threads/posts about some releases since they've been brought up before and in case you're interested in finding out more. So, without waffling on too much, I hope you can find something worth your attention!

Post 1 - Top 10 Japanese male musician releases (♫ Just keep scrolling, just keep scolling~ ♫)

Post 2 - Top 10 Japanese female musician releases (I'm more of a J-pop head then I thought!)

Post 3 - Runners up (that should be in the above two categories but couldn't fit in), the mixed vocals + honourable mentions (all previously brought up in ChristMHas list)

Post 4 - Top English album + single (only one of each because I'm more of an Asian music listener than anything else)

My top 10 Japanese male musician releases

TK from 凛として時雨 - Fantastic Magic /

aramajapan_news_xlarge_tkfromlingtosites

'TK from 凛として時雨(Rin Toshite Shigure), male vocalist of said band, presents his second solo album titled Fantastic Magic. 凛として時雨 and TK's solo works are indie rock and alternative, but both units also utilize the genre of shoegaze, making them incredibly interesting. As TK breaks away for a solo effort from his band formed way back in 2002, he successfully creates a wild and dramatic ride sure to please all our musical needs.

The single 'unravel,' featured as the opening for anime Tokyo Ghoul is the song many listeners will be looking out for. It gets any listener pumped up for what's coming next. Thanks to the cluster of violins, drums and guitars playing together, and the emotional drive of TK's helpless tone, 'unravel' is a very gripping song. Along with the tuneful build up to the end, we're hit by TK's desperate shrieks after the first chorus. Not only is it fitting for the anime tie-in, it's a perfect fit to TK's signature musical style with the mixture of high and low vocalisation, creating a quick, pulse-racing track.

Listeners who haven't given a shot at the genre should definitely give TK a listen. His individuality and uniqueness is expressed wonderfully and definitely deserving of more attention. Because of how the tracks are ordered, various songs contrast effectively with one another. The tranquility of each and every song really does deserve recognition and worth a look.'

To the ChristMHas album entry / To the full length album review

I bet you weren't expecting him on this personal list of mine! Shocker, huh? I think I've talked about him enough here to express how much adoration I have for this guy. So, if you STILL haven't given him a listen, it's seriously your loss!

asobius - pray & grow / 

001.jpg

'Sometimes, music can be true art, managing to create some incredible imagery and taking every listener on a highly enjoyable journey. And no one will ever convince me of 'asobius' not being one of those bands to prove this right. Being influenced by similar sounding bands such as mew, their genre can be described as electronic indie pop and rock, but they mix up so many sounds with different approaches it's difficult to keep it at just that! Managing to sound hopeful and cheerful in each track, they take us to a very colourful world we're sure to keep returning to. There's so much in this one album alone to adore. Not one track disappoints, nor does it fail to deliver something different and even manages to stand out against every other song.

These guys also put extra effort and receive extra kudos from me for including twenty tracks in total in this album for having both English and Japanese sung lyrics. Messages are now clear, we can celebrate life along with them and I'm sure they'll continue to add such bright colours in everything they do. 'Pray & grow' won't be an album you'll have to pray to enjoy or that'll have to grow on you, you definitely will dig it!'

To the ChristMHas album entry

A true gem, I can't value and adore this album and band any more than I already am!

THE NOVEMBERS - Rhapsody in beauty /

24443-thenovembers-ho5m.jpg

'Officially formed way back in 2005, THE NOVEMBERS continuously treats us to some shoegazing goodness. Being their fifth studio album, 'Rhapsody in beauty' shows us just how brightly these hidden indie gems can shine.

The vocals don't really kick in until track 3, 'Xeno.' The opening track entitled 'Xenakis,' is an instrumental while track 2, named 'Sturm und Drang,' features a bit of post-harcore vocalisation as a wakeup call to the listener after the first eerie and dark sounding opening. But this does exhibit the band's ability to step into different genres, and also gives us a very diverse album. We have vocalist Kobayashi Yusuke showcasing his vocal skills in various tracks by both shouting or screaming emotionally in one song and then hitting higher and lighter notes in the next. 'Tracks like 07 236745981' shows possible influence from well-known British bands such as radiohead and Muse, with steady and quick guitar usage and repetitive yet smooth beats. From the mysteriously haunting tracks to the noisy yet beautifully organised, rock-tastic tunes, there are many layers to this album alone.

All in all, 'Rhapsody in beauty' is a solid release from the shoegaze band which perfectly expresses their key genre. To finish, I highly recommend the album title track, 'Rhapsody in beauty' it being my favourite song on the album. Very catchy, very appealing and very enjoyable, it'll keep your finger hovering over the replay button. Then again, the whole album will!'

A really solid album, perfect as an introduction into the shoegaze genre and a must for every THE NOVEMBER's fan collection.

MEJIBRAY - シアトリカル・ブルーブラック /

16600-p6qbyumf4a.jpg

I had been looking forward to MEJIBRAY's album not just because I'm a massive fan of theirs, but because of this particular single release a few months before the album came out. This song really got me hyped for their lastest album because it's so addicting and really captured the style of the band. I was struck as soon as I gave it a try and the abuse on my shuffle to repeat the track dragged the battery all the way down to zero in only one night. It's that catchy! As I've said in the group review of 'THE "420" THEATRICAL ROSES,' 'The chunky guitar and crazy drumming is super energetic and addicting. Tsuzuku's vocals offer us what we've always received from him; a mix of clear singing, screeches, growls and screams. And let's not forget how well MiA really works that guitar of his in his solo parts!' The single title track is just so well done in its repeat value, this is a definite no misser in the modern VK scene. While I prefer the single version of 'シアトリカル・ブルーブラック' (Theatrical Blue Black), it was still a highlight of mine in the whole album.

The second track, 'BI"name"JIKA,' is even more enjoyable than the single title track itself. There is a repeated clapping and chopping sound in the verses which really hooks you in until the very melodious chorus hits. You gotta love those tiny sections where Meto and MiA have their own little moments! And before the lovely fade out at the end, we're treated with some high pitched vocalisation and a fitting VK dose of wails and screeches from Tsuzuku. 'HATE,' the final track, is a heavy finisher to a brilliant single. It's short and sweet with brutal vocals and pounding instruments. These guys didn't come through for me all the way with their latest album, but this single didn't miss the mark at all!

dQVkeheSvbw.jpg

Lycaon - 馬鹿ね。+ 悪女の微笑 + Shadow /

24109-lycaon-n42f.png

Lycaon have always been a favourite Visual Kei band of mine. At the top with MEJIBRAY in all honestly. They're not afraid of what music direction they wish to go, nor do they fail in giving us some of the best visuals in the scene. I have been highly impressive with their music since their very first releases and even after the sudden change in musical direction. I have always had much respect for musicians who do this, and Lycaon just made me fall for them even more so because of this. Their newest batch of singles keep me highly anticipated for another full length feature from them and are making me adore this progressive sound of theirs even more. I've felt this kind of rather upbeat and 'naughty' music is really quite fitting with Yuuki's vocals, so I was delighted with the two-month consecutive single releases. The beats are ridiculously catchy, even with the dubstep moments with choppy electro sounds disrupting the flow; everything mixes together so well into some rocking tune. I personally feel the singles just got better and better, 'Shadow,' being my most favoured one. Lycaon's got plenty more to show us and I just can't wait for it!

03111609_531eb6b64fd45.jpg04281914_535e29f792d75.jpg

AvelCain - AvelCain / 

AvelCain+0.jpg

'PSYCHO-サイコ-' and 'ID' are two of my favourite tracks by AvelCain, and them being singles, I looked forward to hearing them when on AvelCain's first album release. As you might've guess, these guys are also up there with my favourite VK bands. That is mainly due to this album. It's not unusual for me to have a crush on a voice, but it was love at first listen with Karma. With a rhythmic play of guitars and drum, 'ID' was my first listen of theirs and I just had to give their upcoming album a listen. And, hot damn, it is addicting in the best way. Every song has a different tempo while keeping a very quick and aggressive sound throughout the forty six minutes album runtime. I can never get enough of the growls, but with these guys, they're used appropriately and really highlights the darkness of the album. It's just so melodious, catchy and fitting. My only wish is that we get to hear more like '千羽鶴' (senbaduru; sampled track). Absolutely beautiful.

cover326x326.jpeg

Plastic Tree - echo /

echo1_s.jpg35670-andltahrefhttpwwwjpo-4gq6.jpg

When I'm feeling down, negative or, in the past, had any kind of triggering mindset, this was the band who kept me up on my feet. Plastic Tree's vocalist, Ryutaro, has a voice too perfect for words. The fragility of his tone I connected with as soon as I gave them a listen. With this new release, I'm more than happy to see and hear them releasing so many different sounds after being around for as long as I have been born. It's got their signature genre of shoegaze in it, a healthy load of rock and that Brit-pop influence. If only it was a whole album length! Ryutaro's child like tone against the rough instruments just makes these songs so powerful.

Let me assure you of one thing; these guys will always be in my top releases with whatever they come out with. Everything is a masterpiece in its own way and they've become an irreplaceable band of importance to me. I've probably sounded the most praising in this one because this is quite personal to me, but I assure you, if you haven't checked these guys out yet, you have no idea what you've been missing out on all these years.

PLASTICZOOMS - Secret Postcard /

tumblr_nhgzrpkUbf1u0d91io1_400.jpgtumblr_mtax3zLPQQ1qbjzj5o1_1280.png

Vocalist Sho Asakawa has that kind of lush and smooth tone to his voice which makes this band a definite must listen to. Along with some very nicely done music fitting for each track and style, PLASTICZOOMS have released a magical little mini-album this year. Against Asakawa's tender tone, the beat in tracks like 'Illumination' and 'Sleepwalker' sounds pleasantly old fashioned. In contrast, there's the electro tune 'Wire Tensioning Method' in between these two, and the very sweet number that is 'Pale Spectre,' featuring lovely female vocals with Asakawa, making this a glorious duet piece. The opening track, 'Ice Pops' has a pop like tune and is a great track placement against track three, 'Liquid Crystal,' which is a lot more rock sounding. And the mini-album ends with the romantic piece, 'The Morning Sun.' As you might've noticed, they've utilised Asakawa's voice to a lot of different sounding tracks, and it's an absolute pleasure listening from track to track. Asakawa sing entirely in English and the sampled track I've upped is 'Melody,' a free single download song by the band for Christmas. Decided to pick this (yes, I know, late!), but this particular album is full of top choices. They're another big favourite of mine, so expect more of these guys appearing in similar lists.

yazzmad - niche['ni:tʃə] /

btocxt10.jpg

I need more yazzmad in my life. So thank the heavens this mini-album was released! The first track, 'ペシミズム,' is probably my favourite album opener of this year. It's a simple song, but it's of an epic scale. The beat is straightforward, but with a rocking drum and guitar tune throughout, it's very easy to get caught up in it. Never does this steady rock fest falter in quality, as we get into the quicker tune 'リージョンエラー,' and then, the harmonious '踊るペリカン,' with even more addicting beats in it. This one is a very nice follow up to '蜜月は真夜中に,' because they both sound playful and circus like to me. Track five, 'チャールズ,' delivers more gold being a damn fine rock piece. The mini-album ends on a high with 'メトロ,' the longest song on the album (hear sample). Being mysteriously quiet in contrast to the whole mini-album, the massive bursts of wailing intruments and vocals really got to me in the best way as its closer. yazzmad proves that indie VK can also win big.

DAKMSYZ-3.jpg

LM.C - PERFECT FANTASY / 

tumblr_nhgzq7Eqa61u0d91io2_500.jpgtumblr_nhgzq7Eqa61u0d91io1_500.jpg

The flashy music duo of Pierrot's ex-guitarist Aiji and Miyavi's previous support guitarist electro rocker rapper Maya show off in their most recent piece of work what they're all about. The mini-album opener, 'Neo Fantasia,' is what we'd typically expect when relating it to the genre. It's a perfect fit to the mini-album's title. Indeed, it is literally 'neo fantasia.' The imagery created by the sounds makes the listener feel as if they're on a journey. It's epic, it's gripping, and it's fitting.

A personal favourite track of mine, 'DREAMscape' comes as the seventh track on the mini-album. As we can already tell from the title, similar to the way each title is quirky and fantastical, it's, literally, a dreamy track. And as you're expecting, it's just as heart-breaking as its previous slower tracks. But it's still just as dramatic and flashy, as the chorus gives a proper epic accompany of music with Maya's hopeful vocals and melancholic delivery. The guitar solo is what we're expecting before the final chorus kicks in and it sure packs a punch, building up to Maya's final calls. 'DREAMSCAPE' is a wonderfully emotional love song about staying hopeful when it comes to love.

And finally, our final track, 'DIVE TO FANTASY' waves us goodbye while capturing the overall theme of the album as they have done throughout each track in their own ways. It takes us away from reality and makes us imagine traveling to our own world and theirs.

The catchy use of random 'Engrish' moments such as 'WELCOME TO MY FANTASY' and 'EVERYBODY GET YOUR HANDS UP, COME ON!,' gets you wanting to join in with Maya's kick ass vocals and is really typical of this hyper duo. While it's not always positive, Maya and Aiji gives us a contrast in lyrics and melodies, ranging from mysterious to dance party raving to imaging we're on a magical journey. Their mini-album truly does capture what they're trying to get at, welcoming us to their 'PERFECT FANTASY.'

For the full length (unedited) review, click on the spoiler tag below:

The flashy music duo of Pierrot's ex-guitarist Aiji and Miyavi's previous support guitarist Maya show off in their most recent piece of work what they're all about. The mini-album opener, Neo Fantasia, is what we'd typically expect when relating it to the genre. It's a perfect fit to the mini-album's title. Indeed, it is literally 'neo fantasia.' The imagery created by the sounds makes the listener feel as if they're on a journey. It's epic, it's gripping, and it's fitting.

Almost like a fanfare, it opens up one of the two singles featured in the tracklist, DOUBLE DRAGON. A positive and upbeat song, it tells us to not give up. Possibly what LM.C are best known for with their positivity, DOUBLE DRAGON is happy and hyper, what you may expect in a 'BEAT 'EM UP' video game or action movie. Maya's singing is as energetic as ever, including his rapping which only adds more to the hyper tempo and beat. And not forgetting Aiji, his signature guitar playing in the instrumental beat is as captivating as always.

Next up, a track starter you might think is playing on the dance floor. With the use of the techno beats and auto tune, it's a crazy step up after you wouldn't expect after the epic DOUBLE DRAGON. Chameleon Dance asks you to join in to the groove, literally; 'HEY DJ!' A quick and unpredictable dance number, Maya sure does rock the night club genre in this track.

禁じられた宇宙。, reminiscent to previous hit song GHOST HEART is also a ballad that makes usage of an unusual mixture of sounds to create a fantasy like track, both mystery and romantic sounding. Clearly standing out from the more upbeat tracks before it, it's the first of the more helpless and negative songs in comparison to the mini-album's first tracks. It's clear from its tune that it's meant to be the breaking point of the mini-album, offering a change in progression.

The 5th track drags us right back in to the electric rocker's typical beat. But also giving us even more than what we're may be expecting. Being the last single from the guys and the last to be featured in the mini-album, it's another song that welcomes you to dance along with it, almost as crazy as Chameleon Dance. With the incredibly inviting and addicting beat break when coming into two minutes of the song, they've got their listeners on their feet.

In the same way the slower track of禁じられた宇宙。 followed after the raving Chameleon Dance, we're introduced to the slowest and gentlest song of the mini-album. mono-logue invites us to sit back from all the dance inducing magic that had previously captivated our eardrums. Also managing to hold onto the fantastical feel like all the previous tracks, mono-logue is purposely nostalgic, almost hopeless sounding. Similar to the more depressing mood of track 4, mono-logue is a departure into the more touching side of LM.C as they offer sung dialogue we all can relate too in doubtful times. And yet, Maya still can't help but make sure we're still staying positive! 'No matter how much you fear, if you just take a step further you will see a different scenery.'

Next up, a personal favourite of mine: DREAMscape. As we can already tell from the title, similar to the way each title is quirky and fantastical, it's, literally, a dreamy track. And as you're expecting, it's just as heart-breaking as it's previous slower tracks. But it's still as dramatic and flashy as the chorus gives a proper epic accompany of music with Maya's hopeful vocals and melancholic delivery. The guitar solo is what we're expecting before the final chorus kicks in and it sure packs a punch, building up to Maya's final calls. DREAMSCAPE is a wonderfully emotional love song about staying hopeful when it comes to love.

And finally, our final track, DIVE TO FANTASY waves us goodbye while capturing the overall theme of the album as they have done throughout each track in their own ways. It takes us away from reality and makes us imagine of traveling to our own world and theirs.

In conclusion, the catchy use of random 'Engrish' moments such as 'WELCOME TO MY FANTASY' and 'EVERYBODY GET YOUR HANDS UP, COME ON!,' gets you wanting to join in with Maya's kick ass vocals. While it's not always positive, Maya and Aiji gives us a contrast in lyrics and melodies, ranging from mysterious to dance party raving to imaging we're on a magical journey. Their mini-album truly does capture what they're trying to get at, welcoming us to their PERFECT FANTASY.

My top 10 Japanese female musician releases

Charisma.com - DIStopping /

bio.jpg

'Only last year did these two gals get spotlight in their country of Japan, and for reasons sure to get you intrigued. Their rather brutally honest and confident attitude in negative topics surrounding their home they make into their main song themes. If you're complaining about what clothing you're wearing or want on your wish list, they'll be there reminding you that doesn't matter one bit. If you're using the word 'kawaii' too much, expect them to be hot on your tail on that one as well. And if you're procrastinating to the extreme on anything, they'll tell you it's always best to get the job done as soon as possible. These messages make a whole lot of entertainment, visually and lyrically, and a definite breath of fresh air in the music industry.

Having become instantly interested in them because of their acknowledged lyrical usage and the fact that I'm a sucker for these female duos, I'm very impressed and happy to be listening to them. They're feisty, they're fearless, and they're sure to keep you entertained with their humorous music videos and genuinely clever and meaningful lyrics. And now, it's time they got the recognition outside of Japan they deserve.'

This duo took our top spot on the best release of this year. What more can I say? How much more encouragement do we have to throw at you to give these girls a listen!? CHECK 'EM OUT~ Sample track is my personal favourite from this album, 'Train HELL.'

大塚 愛- LOVE FANTASTIC / 

tumblr_ngp53z6YMP1u0d91io1_1280.jpg

Otsuka Ai has always been a J-pop singer I've kept an eye on and an ear out for. Her voice expresses so many emotions as she delivers soft and soothing lullabies or touching and emotional ballads, and even upbeat and catchy numbers which are about the weirdest and most wonderful things you could even think of singing about, like mosquitoes! She's relatable in many tracks, but can then be an absolute blast and joy in the faster and happier songs because of these reasons. Her discography is one of the best I've ever heard of an artist, and ever seen. Each album is almost of the same length or feature the same amount of tracks, but this isn't the main point I'm trying to get at. Her whole album collection is almost like listening to an artist grow. They all feature the word 'love' in the titles, fitting for a woman named 'Ai,' right? But all are very romantic and deliver this theme in, as I've said above, various styles. For example, in her debut album 'LOVE PUNCH,' it's a very childish and innocent album, while 'LOVE PiECE' has more of an adult and summer celebrating theme to it (in this Ai's literally celebrating beaches and 'peaches,' which has a completely different meaning when it comes to Ai in this album). My point is, this being her latest album, it sounds to me, a lot more grown up, much like how her previous one, 'LOVE LETTER,' came across as personal and more open. This is all from my point of view, but it makes for a very interesting look at her work and, hopefully, an enticing thought to encourage you lot to try?

In the end, with this particular release, after years of waiting, Ai definitely deserves some 'FANTASTIC LOVE' for this! It's pop, but it's pop at its very best.

THE TEENAGE KISSERS - Virgin Field / 

tumblr_ngp57tiKc51u0d91io1_1280.jpg

Fronted by the dark dressed yet irresistibly adorable Lolita princess Nana Kitade, THE TEENAGE KISSERS formed in 2012, around the time when Kitade seemed to have vanished off the face of the Earth. Her last solo release was way back in 2009, so it was a long wait until more was heard from her. She was and is a well known singer, so when this new band formation came out, how excited were us Kitade worshippers? Very! Kitade had always had some kind of dark streak with her lyrics, and this is now perfectly portrayed with this album. Almost British sounding, the lyrics are usually repeated in an aggressive fashion and in clear English. Tracks are kept at a short length (apart from the awesome 'Broken April' song; sampled track!) and pack a massive punch with loud and chunky guitar playing and drum bashing. It's a very pleasing turn out to me because her voice is so fitting to such a punk/grunge band. I had felt this way with her solo work so I look forward to hearing more from her in this band of hers.

Surely an unfortunate miss for many this year, Kitade's band project deserves a lot more love then they're getting. More so, in my opinion, than any other listed musician here. So hopefully, this has made a good impression!

FLOWER FLOWER - 実 / 

flower-e1414070782860.jpg?resize=620%2C2

FLOWER FLOWER is the band formed by popular solo singer songwriter YUI. YUI, being one of my first ever Japanese listened to musician and love, I have continued to follow her ever since that first time a few years back when I got into Asian music. Back in 2012, YUI announced she'd be taking a break from the music industry, and after a few months, she returned with a new short hairstyle and blonde colour, and annouced she wouldn't be a solo singer any more. Now introducing her band FLOWER FLOWER, who made their debut back in May of last year, have finally released a full length album. I had been looking forward to this for a while now because I loved the idea of YUI being in a band and leading it as the vocalist. I had wanted that for so long, for so many J-pop singers. She's definitely still got the spotlight on her but I'm not complaining one bit. Our little J-pop princess is back and stronger than ever, with this band of hers proving that right.

The album starts strongly with one of my favourite tracks by YUI ever; '願い' (Negai; sampled track). It's brutal in the way that it's so headstrong and so powerful coming from a little flower such as YUI herself. The album never slips from this rocking tune either, with the band inclusion we've never heard before when listening to YUI really driving this new sound and image of hers forward. She's no longer just a pop act, it really sounds and looks like a rock band and I'm so thrilled with this. The band and YUI have really delivered. We still have the pop sounding tracks like '水滴' (Suiteki), and 'きみのこと' (Kimi no Koto), but ones like '空気' (Kuuki), and '席を立つ' (Sekiwotatsu), are a real treat because the sound is so not like how we've ever heard YUI before. It's proper rock, with a quick and thrilling pace delivered by strong instruments and loud vocals.

In all honestly, all I can say now is just... finally. Finally, YUI has stepped up after so many years of staying solo. I am far more than impressed and I can't wait to see more from these guys. YUI has returned to us on top form.

Aimer - UnChild + Midnight Sun / 

Aimer8.jpg

I couldn't choose between which album I favour most because both are just as stunning as the other. Don't get me wrong, Aimer's had a brilliant year with impressive releases all round. Not only have we got these two full length albums from her, but she has also put out another split album featuring 福井舞 (Fukui Mai) as well as her second mini album ';誰か、海を。' (Dareka, Umi wo.). Sure, 'Unchild' probably beat 'Midnight Sun' just because of who this split album features; the wonderful composer and producer, '澤野 弘之' (Sawano Hiroyuki: in this case, SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]). His name might ring a few bells when it comes to some anime soundtracks you might've heard so if you're already a fan of him, I hope I've sold it to you. Aimer's sweetly elegant and earthy voice is worth a listen by all.

The albums were released on the same day so I'll first discuss the album I first went through. 'Midnight Sun' features a short version of the Disney hit lullaby track 'When You Wish upon a Star' as its opener. She had done the same for her first album, 'Sleepless Nights,' singing a cover of 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star' for that album opener. A different chorus and verse parts are used for the closing track of both albums, and it's very easy and appealing to then get into the flow of the album because it's recognised and beautifully delivered by Aimer. Following track ';眠りの森' (Nemuri no Mori) instantly became a favourite J-pop track of mine on first listen. It's peaceful yet thrilling at the same time. What I can safely say is that I have never heard a voice quite like Aimer's. I've already pointed this out before, but I think tracks like this one really highlights her vocalisation. The tempo is quick during the chorus, then slow and careful during the verses and bridges with simple, yet mystical delivery with the music. It's simply magical and there's something very special and valuable about all her pieces because of this distinctive sound. The next track, '7月の翼' (7gatsu no Tsubasa) is also a powerful and moving piece. It's a very strong start to the album which never falters. Another stand out track is '星の消えた夜に' (Hoshi no Kieta Yoru ni, sampled track) the only song which has been remixed in this album unlike her first, which had a couple other 're-echoes' (remixed) done by artists, this one being done by Genki Rockets. And how could I forget bringing up the mighty singles of all Aimer singles? 'RE: I AM' and 'StarRingChild' are more than perfect.

And these tracks swiftly lead us to album number two, 'UnChild.' This release includes these two tracks but as English versions. These lyrics have been closely translated to the original and is fitting to the whole ablum since it's completely sung in English. And yes, I used English instead of 'Engrish' because Aimer is very impressive in her English singing. The pronunciation is clear and spot on so that's a positive I must bring up. The opening is a nice change to how Aimer starts her albums as I've already pointed out, with 'UnChild' being a short remix of 'StarRingChild' the following song. It's probably thanks to Hiroyuki collaborating with Aimer on this that the album is ever so dramatic and powerful. Emotional tracks such as 'Just say good bye' and 'REMIND YOU' are heart wrenching, while another standout track, namely 'EGO,' is very blunt and relatable in a dark way. In contrast, 'Next 2 U' is a sweet and positive number, and another favourite, 'Because we are tiny in this world,' is a lovely tune with folk influence. This last mentioned song is a wonderful contrast to Aimer's solo work because of its big sounds and differing genre influence unlike what we usually hear. This'd be more obvious listening to 'Midnight Sun' first. Another noticeable track is 'bLoody f8,' being the most tuneful and beat-tasic in the album. The final point I'd like to make is Aimer's cover works, which also showcases how well Aimer's delivery in English is so I'd like to recommend her older pieces as well.

The only obvious downfall Aimer seems to always have when it comes to her albums is that it all excels in its ballads, what the majority of the album is. A massive batch of her discography is similar sounding soft and slow tracks. But, this isn't a bad thing in my book. Aimer delivers on every one, and it's where most of the magic can be found. Both albums are magical in their own way and are both a definite listen when it comes to Aimer's discography.

36269.jpg

nano.RIPE - 涙の落ちる速度 / 

4540774153701_1L.jpg200x_P2_G6249231W.JPG200x_P2_G6249264W.JPG

This J-pop group outdid themselves this year, having released an album featuring a total of three whole CDs in one release! The first being the new album itself, packed with outstanding singles and wonderful new tracks, while the second is their only collection of all their B-sides, and the third being an acoustic pack of their biggest song hits. It's a true delight being able to listen to a massive bunch of tracks by this band.

Kimiko is truly a vocalist to marvel at. Having a rather nasal tone to her voice, her singing work is probably not everyone's cup of tea. But, given enough time, I believe anyone can grow to treasure her vocals as much as I instantly did. That's the beauty of their music. Her voice portrays such honesty and beauty unlike many other Japanese pop bands you hear about. While Kimiko's pitch may put many listeners off, I cannot recommend the acoustic tracks enough. These definitely show off Kimiko's unusual voice, and all for the better, since it's ever so fitting to the melancholic and nostalgia messages and feelings within each song. Their song 'Patricia,' in particular, took my breathe away in this collection. 'Halo' is also a good one to start off with in the regular edition album. I've put up a sample track of my all time favourite song of theirs from this album though, entitled 'もしもの話' (Moshimo no Hanashi).

For those who enjoy anime and haven't heard of this band before, you don't know what you've been missing out on. For those who might be new or not that interested in pop, these guys are really interesting and different in this scene.

23224-nanoripe-uymp.jpg

YUKI - FLY / 

fly.jpg

YUKI, ex-vocalist of the band JUDY AND MARY, released her seventh album not too long ago this year. I just had to give this one a listen since I had fallen for each single I ever heard of hers and have wanted to hear one of her albums for some time now. So, I gave in to temptation this year thanks to a very enticing album cover (top left, phwoar!) and finally gave her a whole evening worth of a listen. This singer has continuously had great topping albums and singles throughout her career, and yet again, this album didn't fail her; and is definitely a winner in my books. Lets firstly just marvel at how old this woman is though; past forty, she's still keeping is young and fresh, and that's also what she's doing with her music.

Like the vocalist of the band above, YUKI's vocals is a hit and miss. It had actually taken me a couple of listens when giving her work a try before I fully got into her. While I can personally hear a lot more improvement due to the more fitting music with her singing compared to her older pieces, many newcomers might be quickly turned off by her rather pitchy vocals. But I also highly recommend this diamond. As you might've already noticed, I have an adoration for singers with a rather harsh and differing style in pitch and tone, and this why YUKI is in this list of mine. Tracks like '真夜中の恋人' (Mayonaka no Koibito) contrasts nicely in the album with a sound reminisent to a 90's disco party. It's jazzy, energetic and addicting. This is also a lovely track placement besides 'It's like heaven' and 'ポートレイト,' (Portrait) both sounding like we're traveling back in time to a, dare I say it, karaoke session. It's just so laid back and simple, it's easy to dig it! While most tracks really do have a simple structure, they've got a lot of passion and love in them, and from a very experienced and brilliant woman at that. The album itself includes many differing tunes and sounds to it, such as the funky 'Jodi Wideman,' futuristic 'はみだせ ラインダンスから' (Hamidase Line Dance Kara) and catchy street tune '波乗り500マイル' (Naminori 500 Mile). The single song which encouraged me to check out her solo music more is the sample track above called 'わたしの願い事' (Watashi no Negaigoto) most favoured track from the album.

椎名林檎 - 日出処 / 

news_header_sheenaringo_art20140919-e141

J-pop queen and sensation struck gold twice this year with this latest album release and a self-cover album release. The album opens with the best choice I could've ever asked for. The heavily jazz influenced number fits flawlessly with Shiina's incredible vocals. Sassy, sexy, and splendid, it's only the beginning of a thrilling music parade lead by our one and only Shiina Ringo. If you think her voice isn't for you, then first check out track eleven, '孤独のあかつき(信猫版)' (Kodoku no Akatsuki (Shin Neko-ban)), if you're more into electronic, or number thirteen, 'ありあまる富' (Ariamaru Tomi), if you enjoy some country and folk tunes. As you can already tell, Shiina's covered a hell of a lot of sounds in this album, and it's an absolute thrill listening to her vocals along with the various styles. There's something here for everyone, like the old sounding jazz tune '赤道を越えたら' (Sekidou wo Koetara), or the more mystical and fantasy like 'カーネーション' (Carnation), which sounds like it belongs in a theatre or child's movie. And, there's even a kick ass and rocking rock song at number two, '自由へ道連れ' (Jiyuu e Michizure)! Is there anything she won't try!? My personal favourite is track nine, 'ありきたりな女' (Arikitarina Onna), because of the sheer volume and emotion Shiina expresses in this one. And yes, it's the sampled track! I didn't think I could fall in love with Shiina's vocals any more than I already have, but this album's done wonders. It's truly one to try, enjoy, and quite possibly be the starting point of a new fan's exploration into her works? Give this one a listen and that might be you! Ringo's not finishing melting our hearts with that smooth tone of hers!

小南泰葉 - 怒怒哀楽 / 

3355411-de-Kominami-Yasuha-1.jpg

Kominami Yasuha was one of my favourite indie artists until she turned major in 2012. She's still up there as one of my most favoured and returned to artists, and she definitely didn't disappoint me this year. Yasuha is influenced by two other female singers I enjoy a lot: Shiina Ringo and Björk, so you can expect her music is rather out there. This was also a factor as to why I wanted to check her out in the first place. Her vocal work is almost like a child version of Shiina's, but a bit more brutal and rather raw. It's very similar and really shows how much she favours these favourite artists of hers. This 'unexperienced' tone to her vocals is very obvious when she attempts to hit the high notes, or tries singing in a quicker pace or in a louder pitch. But, for me, this keeps the indie feeling to her music, which I really treasure because it just fits so well to her unpolished perfection in vocal delivery. As you might already be expecting me to say, this is truly why I love her work so much. Not only is it lyrically genius in the way that it's touching and delicant in contrast to her forceful delivery, you can hear a lot of spirit and passion with how she delivers the tracks. The short acoustic fifth track of the mini album '水子ペテン師' (Mizuko Petenshi) is a lovely inclusion which stood out to me because it was the only guitar with vocals track at this point and prepared me for the last song, '美少女戦士カメレオン' (Bishoujo Senshi Chameleon), which is just as pleasant and highlighted her pitchy voice. The track 'キャットダイバー' (Cat Diver) only features a piano accompanying Yasuha, which makes this track so enchanting. It's one of the best to her her voice under control, but I've chosen the most enjoyable track, in my opinion, as the sample track. While I love her slower songs most, the build up in '終わりなき炎症' (Owari Naki Enshō) is flawless. The first lot of songs, this one being the third track, are of high energy and very impactful because of strong vocals and massive intrumentals and sounds. This young lass has made this short mini-album an absolute thrill ride.

大森靖子 - 洗脳 / 

seiko1-e1413936412284.jpg?resize=639%2C2

Ah, Seiko Oomori. Where do I start with you? As a sum up of who she is and my impressions on her, hers a quote from what I've said in perez' review of this album, '...she is so damn flawless. Flawless, in a way, I'm sure, many would disagree. I'm also one of the proud bunch of "bad" vocal aficionados' out there. I find her vocals super intriguing and unique, setting her apart very well from the typical J-Pop scene as a whole. What makes it even more interesting to me is that she's pretty much 'Anti-Idol.' The way she sings, the way each and every song is structed in contrast with the actual idols, it's much more tuneful and out there. As one has already said, her appearance surprisingly and nicely contrasts with what she actually delivers. I also love her influences.... Ringo, I think we can all agree, she's a queen herself too. And just check out Oomori's 魔法が使えないなら死にたい album cover. Now where have I seen that before?'

My response here is pretty much all I wanted to say on this one. Her vocals don't need any work because that's what makes the music hers. I always look forward to seeing and hearing what she's bringing out and I hope you can understand where this love comes from and you can learn to love it too.

The runners up

The Mirraz - この惑星のすべて / 

618AcsnkAjL._SY300_.jpg20110720_baycamp_v.jpg

With quick singing and rapping along with a handful of eargasmic beats, The Mirraz is one of my most favoured indie bands. Now major, this single showed me these guys have so much more to give. I had given The Mirraz a listen ages ago, but no track has made me this obsessed with them before!  'この惑星のすべて' features the fast succession of almost rap sung verses, which is actually just Hatekeyama singing at, literally, full speed, without taking any heard breath. I have to wonder how he does that without tripping over the lyrics or mumbling, since I can't even talk without doing so! His singing is definitely one of the main factors as to why I've stayed with this band for so long. That really is a skill I aspire to have! It makes each song very catchy and this is just heightened even more with the band playing a similar beat throughout. In this particular track, the repeated jingles of the guitar and bashes of drums makes the song instantly recognisable and easy to get into. It's a simple structure, but it works so well and with brilliant results. I have never gotten bored listening to just the title track, and I've done so on repeat many times.

'らぶりー' shows their worth once again with nicely contrasting vocals as Hatekeyama sounds a lot more softer, but it's stil got the addicting  beat to get you up and moving without even having to try. It's a lot more gentler than the single track and it reminds me of a live performance. It's easy to get into, and just like 'この惑星のすべて,' the tune doesn't go all over the place or tries to change over the four minutes run time. And yet, it's just as thrilling and unstoppable. A real tune to dig! The single ends with 'ステーキを食べに行こう,' a more folk sounding number. I can't exaggerate how simple yet catchy these tracks are, you've just gotta give these a go and let them instantly hook you! I've never been so quickly obsessed before.

Sarah Àlainn - Sarah / 

640x427xsarah_new,P20photo-1.jpg.pagespe

Not much is known about this singer and I can find very little information about her on the net. This is too bad, because I believe she deserve so much more praise and discovery. I had actually stumbled upon her while searching for Japanese operatic music. And boy, is her voice something! The only relevant information I found I thought I could include about this young lass is that she's a 'Singer/Violinist/Composer/Copywriter/ From Australia,' taken from her Instagram. For a singer who is foreign to come over to Japan and sing Japanese as their music career is truly inspiring. And she sure hits the mark! Even if a few tracks are entirely English, I'm still head over heels with those tracks as well. Armed with a stunning choral tone and pitch, Sarah is one of my newest music diamonds to be found. For a singer who has had a hit with a console game theme song, the wii game 'Xenoblade' with the song 'Beyond the Sky,' it's too bad little has been heard of her.

'Sarah' is Sarah's second album. It's a very romantic album, full of hope and pleasant melodies. It ranges from those massive highs of opera epics to sweet pop-ish love songs. Sarah hits every single note head on. 'Always with you' really stood out to me because of the lyrics. It's ever so pure in both message and delivery. The hit I've already named of 'Beyond the Sky' does her voice the justice it deserves. With a tiny dose of folk with a gradual build up of operatical violin strings and high vocalisation, it's a steady yet epic tune. With both versions of the song being included in the album, English and Japanese, it proves my point from earlier that she delivers in either language. She has even covered a French movie soundtrack entitled 'Les parapluies de Cherbourg,' and goodness me, is it a saucy number! She has even covered the mighty 'I Dreamed a Dream' in this record, and it's certainly not to be missed! Give this woman a medal for all these tracks being done and on point! It's actually quite rare I'll be this attached to opera, but Sarah will surely capture your heart if she has with mine. 

Ferri - ∞ / 

img_63c97c420831acf1124f69229fcec2651004

Ferri has impressed me ever since listening to her first album 'A Broken Carousel.' I still have that record on repeat to this day, and now, after waiting in anticipation quite a while for new music from her, she comes out with '∞' (infinity). Ferri keeps her signature eerie and haunting music style and delivers once again this year, with a captivating which sometimes crosses over to electro, like 'subliminal affirmation' and operatical, such as 'rusty chandelier.'  We can hear more of the echoes and distruptive electronic waves Ferri includes often in her songs, and this creates a very captivating and energetic album as a whole. Even with her soothing and  smooth vocals, her mixing makes for either a chaotic piece, for example, 'lost sanctuary,' or a whimsical piece, more like 'ash.' Most of the songs start quietly, gradually building up over time into a heavenly finale. This is very suitable to her style. She sings, composes and mixes her own work. It's shoegaze in a more ethereal way. The sounds, instruments and vocals mold together like a dream. Her operatic and angelic voice heightens this imagery more so, making it a dramatic and wild ride listening to a full length album of her work. All in all, Ferri is definitely an underrated artist who literally creates art with music. 

MACO - 23 (Plus) / 

300c-_1415097.jpgmaco-J%E5%86%99-300x300.jpg

Newly arrived singer MACO grabbed attention when celebrity singers she had covered in her major debut album had spoken positively about her on the internet. Before this, she was already uploading covers of these artists onto YouTube. Already well known in her area, her first mini album '22' gained her the top spot on newcomer charts in April of this year. This is also how I had first discovered the young girl, thanks to the positive spotlight. MACO has covered American musicians such as Katy Perry and Taylor Swift in her debut album this time, and boy, does it stomp the originals. Having turned these pop hits into lovely acoustic songs, MACO is ideal for a laid back and easy listening. Having been described by Ariana Grande as having a "very cute" voice and complimenting her album with the comment "the arrangement of the music is great as well" MACO has impressed a part of Western listeners and she's not stopping there.

On to the album itself, '23 Plus' is an expansion of her first full-length album '23,' with a mighty twenty tracks in total. Her cover of Grande's 'Baby I' beautifully highlights her high vocals she can effortlessly pull off and was my first listen of her. With a mix of cover songs and original tracks, there's a lot offered here to make for a big debut. Other covers make for an enjoyable twist on the original tracks for a different take, and her original songs are also a great discovery and listen. Along with record mate Matt Cab, there's a few songs which feature the brilliance of female and male duos for a fresh, new pop track.

If you're a fan of the already spoken of Western singers, then I can confidently recommend MACO's work to you. She makes the cover tracks her own acoustic lullabies and her own songs are just as delightful. And if you're not so into these mainstream pop stars, I'll still recommend this little miss to you. An already very impressive and polished singer, this newly discovered shining star will, I'm sure, keep giving and glowing.

The mixed vocals

Boris - NOISE 

tumblr_nheji0oJrN1u0d91io1_1280.jpg

'What’s so brilliant about this album is that it includes so many different styles and genres in one tiny package; an album having only eight tracks, but the longest track being over eighteen minutes! Even after so many releases, the band offers new and improved approaches to their preferred musical style of the punk genre, which NOISE doesn’t fail to show, not even if it’s their nineteenth album. This is an important factor to note since anyone really can easily dive headfirst into this album even if it’s their first listen of the band. This is because of the versatile and experimental approach they took, widening their musical feats. There's something for everyone to enjoy. There’s the expected rock elements, a healthy slice of hardcore and sparkling shoegaze to name only a few most noticeable ones.

The opening, '黒猫メロディ,' welcomes the listener in for a wild ride. It’s a smooth and easy listening track, yet upbeat and rather energetic. Random instruments are used such as the aggressive play of guitars, playful hits of a drum and the quick taps of the piano, until the chorus hits where we hear all these sounds mixed beautifully into a juicy piece of head banging mess. And this is just the opening track!

All tracks utilise the rock genre Boris favours so highly, while also gradually changing into more psychedelic melodies as the album progresses. The tracks 'あの人たち' (Ano Hitotachi) and '雨' (Ame) makes effective usage of the shoegaze genre, both being my favourite tracks. They’re atmospheric, dramatic and haunting, slowing down the pace of the album in preparation for the quicker and lengthy album pieces. The cheesy jazz influenced '太陽のバカ' (Taiyo no Baka)  leads into the album track masterpiece that is 'Angel' (the grand 18 minute track!). Don’t let how many minutes it is fool you. You’re missing out on a journey if you do. The slow build-up makes this a dramatic, memorable piece of the band’s musical capabilities. Another favourite, 'Quicksilver,' is exactly what you think when you read the track title. It’s extremely fast paced yet melodious at the same time, making it a very enjoyable and unforgettable piece of the album. And finally, 'シエスタ' (Siesta) is a calm, instrumental track which waves us a mournful goodbye.

As a whole, the album just keeps on giving, never slowing down and turning many corners when it comes to musical direction. And yet, it’s never disappointing, only giving more and more. You just can’t go wrong with BORIS.'

To the ChristMHas album entry / To the full length album review

Sample track is the 'Ame' one. Can't get enough of all these tunes!

ticker.b9d8fb24.jpg

陰陽座 - 風神界逅 / 雷神創世

tumblr_nhekkjIwOn1u0d91io1_500.jpg

'The mighty majestic masters of traditional Japanese heavy metal band, 陰陽座 (Onmyouza, literally meaning “gathering of yin and yang”) strikes with thunder and lightning this year with two very attractive album releases. These guys debuted way back in 1999 and have been pulling out all the stops for this kind of genre, unfortunately being rather underappreciated in the Japanese music scene overall. Their name nicely reflects their female and male duo vocals of Matatabi and Kuroneko, having two guitarists, and having contrasting/opposing themes in lyrics. This group enforces many genres into their work, creating breath-taking and versatile works. From folk to ballads, these guys give it their all with a powerful duo, partnered with pulse racing instrumentals which never, ever slip up.

First, the album 雷神創世, this one being the heavier of the two. Featuring a lot of quick riffs and punchy slams of drums and strings, this one effectively shows off their ability in excelling at their main genre of heavy metal. Full of so much energy and with such fast paced tracks, it’s hard to believe anyone not appreciating their effort and charm. While each song may seem similar, the album definitely keeps you hooked with intoxicating band playing that always has a different melody to it yet still delivers such electricity throughout. Track four, '人首丸' really does this for me, and with Matatabi’s growls, it’s one of those gems when needing a metal track to let out your angry with. A highlight track of this first album is definitely '累.' Even though it’s thirteen minutes long, it's progressive and engaging throughout. It incorporates different paces, slowing down then speeding up as quick as a flash. Being a lengthy and rather romantic track, it infuses Matatabi’s darker vocals against Kuroneko's angelic voice. This isn’t the only song to do this glorious combination, but in this particular track, it’s ever so striking. And followed by '蜩' after, the slowest track of this album, it’s the true love song which, having a much more approachable running time, really hits thanks to Kuroneko's gorgeous vocals.

With a more elegant and magical opener to 風神界逅, it’s a lot more enjoyable, in my opinion, contrasting brilliantly to 雷神創世. With more obvious differencing melodies in each track while also keeping it at an engaging pace, this is definitely deserving of more than 5 stars alone. If you’re feeling intimidated by the first album, give this one a try first and then approach their signature sound int he first release. Tracks four to six really caught my attention on first listen, number four and six having highly addicting beats while the fifth track being one of the most enjoyable and magical tracks by them to me. With a lot more varied sounds because of its branching out to slower tempos and less of the heavy metal sound, this album of the double release is definitely worth the hour long album listen. Simply enchanting, I just can’t complain on this one at all. I instead have way too much praise for them to fit into here on this one.

These guys sure know how to make an impression. With undeniably beautiful and strong lead vocals from both male and female vocalists, they deliver spot on. When Kuroneko hits those high notes, it’s hypnotising. When Matatabi gives us his harsh and heavy vocals, it's exquisite. Their strong, traditional voices are my main highlight of listening to this band. Everything about these albums balance so well. It’s like listening to a theatre performance, the first part being dramatic, bold and dark, and then taking a more transient and calmer second part. If you’re interested in hearing one of the best traditional bands in Japan, you better get your way over to their discography! Two hours well spent.'

The honourable mentions

KAMIJO - Heart

tumblr_nhejw9tGq21u0d91io1_1280.jpg

'The grand opening, ‘Vive le Roi’ starts up the album and it's full speed ahead! Already, we can tell who the mastermind of Versailles’ orchestral and angelic choir inclusions came from. Each track doesn’t fail in standing out by itself, being a very memorable and very powerful metal or ballad/classical selection. All what he’s best at, right?  'Louis 〜艶血のラヴィアンローズ〜' never fails to impress me. Kamijo’s vocals are on point throughout, and the beautiful, classical instruments with his voice makes not just this track, but the whole album, one of the best releases of not just this year, but anything Kamijo related. Kamijo doesn’t stick to the typical music style of classical, or the inducing masquerade imagery we’re expecting either. 'Death Parade' takes on a more playful nature, but obviously still being as seductive as the rest of the album thanks to our talented singing vampire. This brings me to the very enjoyable 'Moulin Rouge,' a jazzy number, again adding another very pleasing and different sound to the album. Being easily entrapped by any slow melody of his, it’s hard to not enjoy the slowest of tracks on the album such as 'Romantique,' which is absolutely stunning.

If you’re a fan of Kamijo or any other involved projects and still haven’t listened to Heart, get a move on! If you’re new to Kamijo and you’re still not convinced to give this album a listen, it’s your loss! It’s typical Kamijo, but at his finest. Refreshing and bursting with great tunes, our favourite vampire is still going strong.'

DIR EN GREY - ARCHE

tumblr_ngzzp06O4L1u0d91io1_1280.png

'After three years since their last album, DIR EN GREY returns to the spotlight with the highly anticipated album ‘ARCHE.’ With a running time of an hour and twenty three minutes, it may appear overbearing at first but don’t feel intimidated. For an album with sixteen tracks in total, adding another seven tracks if you include the limited edition, there’s a lot to get through. But you won’t be joining the ride just because of the sheer hype. DIR EN GREY hasn’t disappointed. In fact, they’ve exceeded expectation. For a band that has delivered every time, they’ve still managed to produce a beautifully balanced and highly addicting album this year.'

To the full length album group review

tumblr_nhek79spXA1u0d91io1_1280.jpg

My top English album + single of this year

Paloma Faith - A Perfect Contradiction / 

PALOMA_FAITH_A-PERFECT-CONTRADICTION_Fea

This British solo singer-songwriter and actress (cast in some pretty weirdly fitting movies at that!) first caught my attention way back with her first debut single titled 'Stone Cold Sober.' (click upcoming link for a little live track sample listen) Not only is her voice strong and soulful, but what sealed the deal for me was witnessing who Faith is as a person beyond the vocals. Adorable doesn't describe her enough! She's confident in who she is, and she definitely expresses this for being 'known for her unique, retro and eccentric style.' What's even more delightful is that you just wouldn't expect such a bellowing voice if you just heard her speak! (you'd know what I'm talking about if you clicked that link!) With a rather high pitched, almost whiny tone, it's a wonderful contrast to what she can actually deliver. It really startled me when I first saw this attached video because I had heard how she sings before, so imagine my shock if it was the other way around!

Onto the album itself, 'A Perfect Contradiction' is Faith's third major album. I have no complaints as you'd probably be expecting me to say. Tracks twelve to fifteen offer even more emotional impact since they're acoustic versions of previous tracks and ends the album on a high in a very melancholic tone. Each and every track has a particular soul sound and feel because of Faith's melodious and deep tone. Her voice portrays the perfect balance of pain and strength in every track, and the album just never tires or gets boring. Maybe it's because of the sheer joy and magic of the vocalist herself? Maybe it's because of the sorcery of her voice which captivates? Maybe both? In my case, it sure is. And just giving her one chance will instantly tell you whether or not she's got you with that vocal work. But I must encourage you to look into her as a person if you don't feel the spark instantly. She's a diamond in every way possible. 

In This Moment - Big Bad Wolf / 

in_this_moment___big_bad_wolf_wallpaper_

In all honesty, In This Moment was one band I had never been able to dig in the time a few years back when I had been obsessed with America's most popular heavy bands. But this year, I decided to give them another try, and now, there's no turning back! This particular track has been on repeat ever since I first heard it about a month ago. Now then, this might sound a bit too late to include this in my list, but I can't deny how much I've been addicted to it. It's, already, the most played track of this year in my iTunes library. So, if that doesn't show how rocking this tune is, maybe it's the time I come clean and admit I've been rocking to their discography as well. Much discussion has happened based on their newer sound, but if this has got me hooked on them, I'm sure some of you out there will dig this too.

Your list just made me really angry that I totally forgot to check out that Plastic Tree album this year. OTL I had a feeling it was going to be good! I will definitely make sure that gets in my download list. 

And of course totally co-signed on In This Moment. BBW is such an awesome song!!

It's interesting, that like... I knew you liked pop music but I'm really surprised to see just how much. I feel like I've seen a whole new side to you with this list. xD It's so cool how varied the whole review team's taste is. 

Lycaon and LM.C fuck yeahh!

Your list just made me really angry that I totally forgot to check out that Plastic Tree album this year. OTL I had a feeling it was going to be good! I will definitely make sure that gets in my download list. 

And of course totally co-signed on In This Moment. BBW is such an awesome song!!

It's interesting, that like... I knew you liked pop music but I'm really surprised to see just how much. I feel like I've seen a whole new side to you with this list. xD It's so cool how varied the whole review team's taste is. 

xD I hope you get to their album some time soon. No way I'd not put them in this somewhere, so I'm glad it has served as a reminder. Yeah, you mustn't miss out listening to that!

Hehehe, they've really got me hooked thanks to that single!!

lmao, I know right? xD I only noticed when I finished it that the female section can pretty much be called 'my the picks in J-pop.' (And that VK male choices x'D) Ahaha, I'm actually quite surprised myself with how many picks I've chosen of the women. I seem to favour female vocals and I don't even know it! Mine's pretty straightforward and really doesn't have many obscure/new found artists for anyone like every other ORZ' lists, but that complimenting of everyone's is really great of you to say. So many different styles/genres everyone prefers! Too awesome.

Lycaon and LM.C fuck yeahh!

'FUCK YEAH!!' Indeed. Still need to give a full listen to their newest mini-album!

xD I hope you get to their album some time soon. No way I'd not put them in this somewhere, so I'm glad it has served as a reminder. Yeah, you mustn't miss out listening to that!

Hehehe, they've really got me hooked thanks to that single!!

lmao, I know right? xD I only noticed when I finished it that the female section can pretty much be called 'my the picks in J-pop.' (And that VK male choices x'D) Ahaha, I'm actually quite surprised myself with how many picks I've chosen of the women. I seem to favour female vocals and I don't even know it! Mine's pretty straightforward and really doesn't have many obscure/new found artists for anyone like every other ORZ' lists, but that complimenting of everyone's is really great of you to say. So many different styles/genres everyone prefers! Too awesome.

Yes, I'll be hunting it down today. :) Thank you.

And your female section may as well be obscure/newly found to me since I've never heard of most of them. Female j-pop is a genre I'm very unfamiliar with. So now I know who to come asking about these kinds of artists. 

Well, my hat goes off to you. young lady. Creating these lists is a formidable task, and you've done an incredibly thorough job on your first time.

kudos to including THE NOVEMBERS. I didn't expect so many ppl on MH to vouch for this album since it's not as easily digestable as "zeigeist" was, but it's great to see everyone enjoying it.

I've not listened to anything from lycaon in a while, but that sample makes me a bit curious as to what they've been up to at least.

I forgot about that avelcain album, but you posted one of my favorite tracks from it.

Plastic Tree is another band I've never really tried. Liking the sample, though

yazzmad - need to try this too. I thought I listened to a good amount of VK last year (well, more than I usually do), but there's a ton of great stuff I seem to have missed.

THE TEENAGE KISSERS - not really into the vocals, but still a bit surprised because i'd assumed they were just a random, new indie band - not the project of a pop star.

aimer - I've always enjoyed her voice...didn't realize she had a release out with Sawano - so I probably need to check that out. The ED she did for Zankyou no Terror was fantastic, though...would love for Yoko Kanno to produce an entire album for her.

yuki - dat cover, ahaha

seiko oomori - ಠ_ಠ  Kidding, kidding

Ferri - Didn't get around to listening to this, but does she still sing entirely in English? I remember that the vocals on the first release didn't sit too well with me, despite the music. Kilk is a cool label btw.

Paloma Faith - not my kind of music, but a really great voice nonetheless.

Great job, beni. Thanks for putting all the time and effort into sharing with us~ 

Finally made it to your list, benibana!

Here's some of my thoughts:

TK from 凛として時雨 - I've been meaning to check this out since your review. Sample sounded nice! (I don't know why I find it so amusing that he tacked on "from 凛として時雨" to his name; anyone who's ever heard ling tosite can identify him instantly, haha.)

Plastic Tree - So good. Blasphemous, but I've never really tried them out... I'm gonna have to right that wrong, now!

yazzmad - More like YASSmad. I just got into them last year, but I overlooked this mini in the sea of great 2014 releases. Just listened to it and it seems to be another helping of awesomeness. Definitely would've made it on my own list, at least in the honorable mention section.

PLASTICZOOMS - The Engrish isn't my thing, but I can see some definite potential here.

Shiina Ringo - Another album that squeaked past me in 2014... :/

Ferri - Sounds quite relaxing. Might listen to this while studying :)

MACO - Not my kind of thing, but I will say her version of "Roar" is much better. Katy Perry is trash!

Good variety, btw!
Thanks for sharing :D

Sign in to follow this