Sign in to follow this  
LIDL

Lady GaGa

Horrible, horrible, song.

If any other artist released this crap it would be pushed aside immediately. But it's Lady Gaga so her little "monsters" will adore the sound of every footstep she makes and the scent of every perfume she wears.

Well, I wasn't a fan of songs like Poker Face or Paparazzi but compared to Born This Way... I consider them masterpieces.

^ I agree. Everything she poops out is going to go #1.

She actually had some artist integrity.. but she's never sounded so manufactured before. And the lyrics.. "don't be a drag, just be a queen" lmao

Paparazzi is a masterpiece.

I had a discussion with my friend about this song on facebook and I think she had some interesting points.

It also bothers me because it makes me think that either A. the producers have run out of ideas. B. Lady Gaga wants to make a statement like saying that she is the Madonna of our time or C. that somethings are timeless... like her, she was "born that way" during the rise of one of the most popular-willed-successful women in the pop world as we know it.

Someone else's input:

I just put my little theory to the test. I had to practice a bit because it has been so long since I listened to any OLD Madonna and I had forgotten the words! But I was able to successfully sing a good deal of "Express Yourself" right on... top of "Born This Way".

And I noticed something - in the very beginning, GaGa spells out "H.I.M." and repeats the "M" over and over. Suppose she has done this intentionally, as a tribute, and the repeating "M" is a shout-out? I can't believe no one around her noticed that it's by and large the same song!!! And I don't think it's an accident (see: singing "Gilligan's Island" right on top of the intro to "Stairway To Heaven").

It's going to be interesting to read the onslaught of pop fans bitching at each other over this. Obviously, music is srs bsns.

I miss old Gaga but... whatever.

Hopefully the full album will make up for it.

But I feel she isn't going in that direction anymore. Her "Fame" era is over so she's gotta try something new, yeah?

I stayed away from this forum all day.

Looks like I made the right decision.

The long and short here is that Born This Way doesn't sound as much like Express Yourself as people make it out to be. Yes, it's similar, but it's not the same beat. It's not the same melody. There's definitely some Express Yourself-sounding bits and pieces, but by and large it's its own song. Obviously, millions of other people think so, as it is currently the number one song in twenty-three countries.

I would also just like to comment on certain comments people made here that I have seen on twitter and the gaga forums:

@Peace Heavy MK II: You say "music is srs bsns" in a sarcastic way, and I agree with you. You should fucking see the LadyGaga.com/forum. It's a total mockery to the human race. People are literally on there lengthening this retarded "battle" between Britney fans and Lady Gaga fans. And people are getting really upset. As if this matters in the end. But people will always get butthurt over music, I'm guilty of it myself. I haven't any idea of why this happens to people, but it does. *shrugs*

@Tony: Some of the lyrics may be cheesy, but you must admit that they're better than almost any song out there right now. At first Hold It Against Me lyrics were original and cute, but upon further analysis it's just another song about going to the club and hooking up with some random stranger. This song has a message. A very important message that I believe humanity as a whole needs to digest. Don't Be a Drag just Be a Queen may have certain levels of cheesyness, but it's still better than "The club can't even handle me right now." Lulz.

@Furik How can you REALLY say you MISS the old Gaga when you only heard ONE song from this new album? We don't have any idea what the other 19 tracks are going to sound like, so we shouldn't just damn the new era already and say that it's nothing like the fame era and needs to be burned at the stake. Furthermore, how do you think it was when Madonna switched her style up 400 times? I was only around when she switched from that extra-sexual age to the extra-dance age and people didn't take so kindly to it then, but they love it now. Artists need to switch it up every now and then, lest they become a one-trick-pony. If this song sounded anything like anything on The Fame or The Fame Monster, I would have been disappointed.

And that's my two cents.

If she did take influence from Madonna, I thinks he did it intelligently: if she's playing it at the Grammies, she knows she can't play a song that's copy and pasted from Madonna, of all people. I like the song, don't get me wrong, but I do get the feeling that she wasn't in 100% control of it's direction.

Also, it's not like this is the first time it ever happened. I could probably list at least 5 songs, from several genres, who've done the same thing or worse. People always react in the same way though: I don't really get it. If someone puts an element of a famous painting into a piece of art they've made, no one would complain and would probably praise them for having a high-art influence. Literature makes dozens up dozens of allusions to other works of literature. Movies are influenced by other movies that sold well before them (although usually they never end up selling well since 9/10 they don't even try to hide that they're pretending to be a knock-off of the latest blockbuster). However, once it happens in music people lose their shit like it's the first time it's ever happened.

Whatever; a 17-track album is fucking exciting, especially in contrast to how short the Fame Monster was. I can't wait to hear the real version of the German song *______*

What was the song she played live in NYC earlier last year? It was a piano-ish rock'n'roll song (and I honestly thought "Born This Way" was that song...)

you mean the one she sang on Today Show?

That song is called You and I

also, some quotes from VOGUE March 2011, POWER EDITION as the banner on the cover said.:

be ready, it's quite long, but not all articles yet.

Gaga herself is very open about her influences. “It’s not a secret that I have been inspired by tons of people,?? she says, “David Bowie and Prince being the most paramount in terms of live performance.?? She also seems to have made peace with the fact that she is compared to—or, less charitably, accused of ripping off—nearly every artist of the last 50 years. “I could go on and on about all of the people I have been compared to—from Madonna to Grace Jones to Debbie Harry to Elton John to Marilyn Manson to Yoko Ono—but at a certain point you have to realize that what they are saying is that I am cut from the cloth of performer, that I am like all of those people in spirit.?? She takes a bite of filet mignon and says with her mouth full, “She was born this way.??

Gaga’s musical tastes are all over the map, which partly explains why she feels so comfortable in London. “Yes,?? she says, “I have a very broad taste in music, and the English don’t differentiate the rock star from the pop star. It’s all the same thing.?? But there is more to it. American music critics, for example, insist on defining her with dizzying numbers of pop-music references, but the fashion world sees something more precise: the influence of a very specific tribe of English eccentrics—Leigh Bowery, Isabella Blow, et al. “The fashion community in general got me much earlier than everyone else,?? she says. “But actually, I felt truly embraced by this London cultural movement, that McQueen, Isabella, Daphne Guinness wing of the English crowd. I remember when I first started doing photo shoots, people would say, ‘My God, you look so much like Isabella Blow, it scares me.’ And McQueen used to say, ‘Oh, my God, your boobs!’ He actually grabbed both of them and said, ‘Even your boobs are like hers!’ ??

Like those style icons, Gaga demonstrates a commitment to outrageous self-presentation that makes every crazy costume worn by Elton or Cher or Madonna look like child’s play. (As Karl Lagerfeld once told me, “I hate average, and she is anything but average.??) But her determination to outdo them all, and herself, cuts both ways: She has been venerated and vilified for her fashion stunts. Some of her looks have been truly inspired (the red latex Elizabethan gown with sparkly red hearts covering her eyes to meet the queen), delightfully startling (the lace dress that crawled right across her face), downright silly (the Kermit cape), or simply mystifying (the meat dress). She clearly wants and expects a reaction. When she talks about her makeup for the “Born This Way?? video, she says, “The whole world is going to hate it in the best kind of way."

At the end of the day, the way she dresses is part of the entire performance-art aspect of her life. “It’s not about a choice,?? she says. “It’s about a lifestyle that I live and breathe.?? Does she sometimes feel misunderstood? At first she says no but then retracts it. “Well, yes, actually,?? she says. “There is this assumption that women in music and pop culture are supposed to act a certain way, and because I’m just sort of middle fingers up, a-blazing, doing what my artistic vision tells me to do, that is what is misunderstood. People are like, ‘She dresses this way for attention.’ Or like, ‘Ugh, the meat dress.’ ?? She rolls her eyes. “People just want to figure it out or explain it. The truth is, the mystery and the magic is my art. That is what I am good at. You are fascinated with precisely the thing that you are trying to analyze and undo."

Back in New York a week later, I call Iovine, and when he gets on the phone he just starts laughing. “Isn’t she amazing??? he says. “Did she take you for a ride? Isn’t that a great train to be on, being on tour with her??? And then he says this: “Artists like her are very rare. Artists that have that many facets of their career in line and can do that many things. She can write like Carole King, produce, sing like that, work-work-work like that. She gets her point of view across; she has the fashion, the performance—the entire vision. It’s very, very rare.?? What does the future hold for Lady Gaga? “Only she can imagine it,?? he says. “I don’t have that good of an imagination like she does. But she’s the real thing. She will go as long as she wants to or physically can. Her talent will take her as far as she wants to take it. Most artists of this caliber, if they can stay healthy, there’s no limitation. None."

Interesting read. I think it's funny when famous people address things that people complain about, like the meat dress :lol: . Also, I read that "Born This Way" is supposed to be an acoustic song, like the kind she'll be singing at the Grammys, and that the single version is a dance version of it. Is this true?

@PHMKII part one: I love everything you said in your first post. part two: That would be interesting indeed, but I don't know if that's true. Gagadaily hasn't said anything about that.

I like it ;x

I have two complaints: first, it's a bit lyric-heavy. And I mean that not in the sense of content, but in the sense of quantity. Really the only repetition is in the chorus (and the drag queen bit), and that's very unusual for her. I feel like it would have been stronger and easier to memorize (= catchier) if she'd just repeated a verse or so.

Second complaint: acid washed denim was ugly then and it's ugly now. I wanted to cry when I saw the extended version of the image use for the BTW cover. Those pants ;_;!

---

As for the Express Yourself thing, I didn't think that at all when I was listening to BTW. They have the same general feeling I guess, but I don't hear the same song. I feel like it's the same sort of thing as when someone overlays a bunch of top 40 songs and shows that they have the same beat: something is shared between them, but they're completely different.

However, swear to God, the first time I heard the song, all I could think of was

. Gaga's vocal delivery is so similar to me. Hopefully a coupling tour will be announced. Edit: oh my god, the fashion parallels, I've discovered her true inspiration

Now that I've heard the song around 20 times today, I think it's growing on me. I guess I complained earlier because I was expecting something as massively new and catchy as Bad Romance. And since someone (I don't really remember if it was her or some random producer) said it was going to be the 'record of the decade', I was waiting for some mind-blowing tune, and not something that needed to grow on me. About the lyrics, they're kind of cheesy, but still, they try to send a message. Not like Bruteney lol. And she has a normal-to-fine writing style. I mean, have you read Katy Perry's 'Firework' lyrics? It seems like it was written by a 8 year old.

Still, I like it now. I love all these speculations about a Being-the-new-madonna conspiracy. And quite excited about how the rest of the album is gonna be. Especially Goverment Hooker :twisted:.

well, this is where the gap between an artist, a music listener and a reviewer can be clearly seen.

for the lyrics, it mays sounds cheesy and whatsoever you can call it, but having yourself at her shoes, she might doing it on purpose. She have always been direct fr her lyrics writing.

She need no difficult craps like symbols, metaphors and all that stuffs.

She tried to bring out messages without making one racking their brains for it.

And perhaps it's gets too direct that some people just can' really digest it,

because they have been used to many songs using symbols in their lyrics.

I have read some people out there were enraged with her naming some ethnicity.

But personally, i think they've been misreads the lyrics.

Tbh, i am half oriental, and i didn't feel that part insulting at all.

If anything, it's empowering.

The matter of her to choose that words, is for the lyrics rhymes.

That's all nothing more, She can always say Japanese, Chinese but she didn't because

it is not quite universal. But by saying Orient, she was meant all Asians.

The same with Cholas, Lebanese and all other on the lyrics.

I am sure she was never meant disrespectful with writing down that kind of lines.

And she is doing this not for selling things,

she has been implicitly criticizes all other singers that seems

having a race by making a song that sounds like they're siding with the underdogs.

I shouldn't name names, i am sure you know who these singers are.

At one Monsters Ball concert in Poland,

She was stated :

"The funny thing is some people reduce freedom to a brand. They think that it's trendy now to be free. They think it's trendy to be excited about your identity. In truth, there is nothing trendy about Born This Way."

With that she is trying to say, she wants everyone feels comfortable with who they are.

say, if you're of LGBT, don't coming out just because you feel it's a trend, a hype for today.

But doing it because you will feel no burden of who you are, because you will not need to hide your identity everywhere you go, because it will make you happier and enjoy life.

But if you choose to not have a label, or choose to be still in the closet for some reason then do so. Cos no one will force you, as long as you will feel comfort.

We gotta read into it sometimes, not all the time.

There's more than just cheesy lyrics on Born This Way.

Whenever people saying it will be a legend, a song of the decade.

they must mean the message, not just the song.

It's a huge-sounding single with a pulsating beat and a love-yourself message that's bound to pack dancefloors and blast from cars, computers and radios for weeks to come.

You can complain all you want about the tip of the leather cap to "Express Yourself," which was just Madonna’s knock-off of the Staple Singers’ "Respect Yourself." But "Born This Way" is steeped in decades of gay disco tradition, with a heavy Seventies-style thump-thump from Patrick Hernandez’ 1979 classic "Born to Be Alive." Fun fact: one of Madonna’s first professional gigs was as a back-up dancer on a Patrick Hernandez tour, and you can believe Gaga knows it.

O.K, gonna admit it, i did too xpecting something more ponderous — Gaga laboring to prove she’s a Serious Artist who can get away with arty indulgences. I assumed that a couple of years of mega-fame would make the Lady sound more full of herself. But there’s no dicking around here, no piano solos or Gregorian-chant interludes. Instead, she gets right down to unabashed pop kicks, because no matter how much inspiration she takes from the arty downtown scene she came from, her pet project has been revitalizing the Top 40. That’s what makes "Born This Way" sound so audacious and so amazing in so many levels.

"Born This Way" isn't about her emotions, or what she's going through. It's about her fans. Which begs the question: When the adoration fades, which it inevitably will, what's going to fuel her? Gaga has set up a creative apparatus that's inherently designed to break down. Until then, though, there's a sense, listening to the song, that Gaga has tapped into something truly special, maybe even important. The song's message is certainly one that the world's youth needs to hear now more than ever. And I can't think of a better messenger.

Which begs the question: When the adoration fades, which it inevitably will, what's going to fuel her? Gaga has set up a creative apparatus that's inherently designed to break down.

That's really depressing, but nothing but the truth. Sometimes I find incredible how much of her strenght depend of her fans. I don't even want to think what she will do when her fans stop supporting her. Anyway, you do have a lot to say Chianti :D that's awesome, and shows how passionate you are about the things you love. My respects to you.

lol i thought you were just quoting that without replying xD

oh anyone in th U.S, don't missed out her 60 minute show on CBS

on Sunday at 7 PM ET/PT (an hour just before Grammy starts)

It looks like a good interview of her, showing her in daily life

and she dressed quite like an ordinary too this time xD

some teaser:

71jXhG_fEtI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jXhG_fEtI

FZ9Btt33emc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ9Btt33emc

i gotta say just because a part of the song is familiar to other song, doesn't give the justice to call it as rip off as a whole.

there's a thin red line between inspired and blatantly copying music of another singer.

Or else it's like saying Polish wurst is ripping off German wurst. And start calling both with only wurst. While it's textures and tastes is completely different.

i am saying this out of my proud little monster attribute.

Trust me.

Also,

i didn't know what kind of direction she will take.

but with this lead single, i guess it will be safe to say that it will be anything but old.

to be hype and wishing she would do something like her previous hits is fine

but just don't keep the hopes high for now.

she may surprise every single ears

after all Born This Way single was written with Garibay who was working with her on Papparazi, Dance In The Dark & American Idol version of Alejandro and not even slight nostalgia of bubble gum dance pop like it on BTW.

so perhaps RedOne will do the same as well.

i predict her upcoming album will be for anyone that is not afraid with changes.

The Fame is different,

it was purposedly directed as a project to make a boom for her career debut as major artist, was made to be as catchiest as it can be.

And Fame Monster was recorded as the dark side of The Fame, so that has connecting sounds to it.

While BTW was written after few years of Fame era and is getting old.

She tours alot and had a more broad ideas on how she will produce her future sounds.

And it back to us, to our taste whether to take what is offered or not.

but to be sure, let's wait for JUDAS.

Just one day before Grammy, y'all!

It is so exciting!

I think you're trying to grasp at straws. There is a line between influence and copying. But Lady Gaga is an international superstar, she shouldn't need to walk that line at all. She would have producers lining up to work with her. She's been influenced by Madonna from day #1, so why at this stage in her career are we seeing a song which lifts so much from another artist? She's supposed to reprsent being different and unique. The lyrics of the song are all about that, but the tune itself really couldn't be any less original. It makes the whole song seem insincere.

And its 2011. Every singer and band under the sun has gone back to the 80s. She was the pioneer of electropop with RedOne in the mainstream, but now she is lagging behind. Even behind Britney Spears, who at least showed some progession with her dubstep-influenced single. When's Gaga going to try do some dubstep instead of crappy, dated, 2nd rate music?

In conclusion - Born This Way is terrible, and given its profile, is one of the worst pop songs I've ever heard.

Is one of the worst pop songs I've ever heard.

This song is really a 'Love it or hate it' thing, but if you say that, either you haven't listened to a lot of 'artists', or you lack of ears.

yeah, i guess it's back to each other's taste again in the end.

some like it and some not. fair enough.

edit:

bad publicity is good publicity :P

This was the single achievement for yesterday, just LESS in a day!

2m5h3k0.jpg

U.S.A

2yopugl.jpg

U.K

5497wx.jpg

Canada

xek6zp.jpg

France

2q8n7dw.jpg

Also, On Friday, the track was played 1,838 times on mainstream stations alone, surpassing the previous record of 619 spins set by Britney Spears’ “Hold It Against Me?? just a month ago.

“Born This Way?? also drew a record-breaking 25 million audience impressions in the first day, with a total of more than 2,500 plays from all formats.

Is one of the worst pop songs I've ever heard.

This song is really a 'Love it or hate it' thing, but if you say that, either you haven't listened to a lot of 'artists', or you lack of ears.

"given its profile" is very important - you can't take my sentence out of context.

I have to admit - its domination of worldwide charts is pretty impressive, but expected. There was no doubt the first single of this album would shoot to #1. Hype does wonderful things.

Her album will do the exact same thing, no matter if its good or bad. Her legions will buy anything she comes up with.

Who likes S&M? That's some catchy stuff there, and the video clip.. <3

Sign in to follow this