paradoxal

[HELP] Forum search function

Short question: How the hell do you search for things in this forum using kanas?

For example this search, with or without quotation marks, doesn't give me ANY results. Changing the options shown in the picture doesn't help at all.

8yrnh2.jpg

In one thread I saw someone else struggling with this problem. Help please :(

Yeah that's manual I remove everyone's kana search ability when they remove Buck-Tick from the "10 artists, kick one, add your favourite"-thread. Sorry that's the punishment for non-believers.

No but now for real lmao. There seems to be something wrong with the search function that won't permit kana searches, and when it does it shows very inaccurate results. We haven't figured out yet what is causing this, that's why we're contemplating to enforce a rule that people will have to add the romaji to both the thread titles and the initial post. We had this planned for the DL section as you already saw in the corresponding thread, but I'd have no problem with enforcing it into the other subforums as well if that seems necessary. At least, as long as we can't figure out what the hell is messing up our search function.

I've sometimes noticed that when you insert the romaji writing, it'll give you the threads that have been opened with a title including kanas regardless.

Also, it's pretty annoying that you can't search for anything with less than 3 letters. Say I'd want to search for 'D', I'd have to search for every single release individually and can't just have a list that'll give me every thread about them. 

Yeah that's manual I remove everyone's kana search ability when they remove Buck-Tick from the "10 artists, kick one, add your favourite"-thread. Sorry that's the punishment for non-believers.

No but now for real lmao. There seems to be something wrong with the search function that won't permit kana searches, and when it does it shows very inaccurate results. We haven't figured out yet what is causing this, that's why we're contemplating to enforce a rule that people will have to add the romaji to both the thread titles and the initial post. We had this planned for the DL section as you already saw in the corresponding thread, but I'd have no problem with enforcing it into the other subforums as well if that seems necessary. At least, as long as we can't figure out what the hell is messing up our search function.

I KNEW that removing Buck-Tick would get me in a lot of trouble :D

Oh okay, nice to know I'm not just too stupid to figure out the search function. And that romaji rule makes a lot more sense now!

@Rocketeer If you search for just "D", you'll get every single thread where someone posted a word with the letter D in it. The search function checks every post in every thread, so when you fill in an artist's name you'll get all threads where their name is mentioned. You can limit it to certain forums, but that still won't fix the problem that you'll get EVERY post where the letter D appears. As far as I know there's no way to change the search function to make it search that specifically as it is part of the forum software as a whole. That's why there's a minimum requirement embedded of a minimum of 3 letters.

Ah, well. I thought perhaps it could be an option that when you place a word or letter between apostrophes that it would specifically search for that insert. Aren't there websites that have this option? I know you can't personally mess around in the forum's characteristics regarding something like this, but perhaps it would be something that could be forwarded to invisionpower.

I'll inquire with kai and Zeus considering they have a lot more experience with and knowledge of the forum software than I do, they might have a solution to improve the search function in some way, but I can't promise that the suggestion will be what you suggest, nor that there is one.

Works weird indeed.

If I search for Gekijou tenor like: 劇情テノール it shows one list of results

If I search like "劇情テノール" another (more correct)

Seems like in first case it shows all treads where one of katakana symbols (from テノール) is used.

Anyway searching with "" is more accurate.

Regarding the 3-letter or less searches not being allowed, I've always thought it doesn't make sense to me that I can't search a band name that conisist or 2 or 3 japanese characters. Searches such as 少年記 or イヴ will get rejected by the search function. It might make sense to apply that to english words, but not for japanese.