Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

This Doctor Bankrolls Japanese Bands to Tour Across Canada

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/this-doctor-bankrolls-japanese-bands-to-tour-across-canada-interview

Usually, when you think of an individual flying in musical acts around the world on their own dime, it’s some despot’s wish fulfilment for a pop sensation to deliver the hits in their throne room. You probably, almost certainly, don’t think of an anesthesiologist and Bad Brains fan in Toronto funding a showcase of unknown Japanese bands across his country, in small venues, for zero revenue or financial reward.

Yet for five years, Dr. Steven Tanaka has bankrolled the Next Music from TOKYO series, which plucks four to five underground, underdog Japanese acts of assorted sensibilities and sees them across Canada. This year, Tanaka toured bands jizue, Uchu Conbini, Kinoko Teikoku and Happy! Mari to Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, sinking tens of thousands of his personal dough and time into making this all happen.

It usually costs around 50 grand a year, and I could write that off I guess. This is just a hobby. My actual position is as an anesthesiologist. I use that money to fund this little project of mine.

Had to post this here because I think it's extremely awesome! I'm also honored to say that I'm friends with this guy, as he was paramount in my delving deeper into the Japanese indie/underground scene! :D

This guy is freaking awesome. Canadians are lucky to have him bringing those kinds of bands to perform in their country.

Great shit indeed. Deserves a lot of respect. World needs more people like this...

Also, this thread title sounds like one of those 'DOCTORS HATE HIM!!! Man discovers one secret trick for perfect teeth' spam adverts lmao

Sign in to follow this