Zeus

Facebook owner Mark Zuckerberg wants you to pay him to stalk you

http://action.sumofus.org/a/facebook-messenger/2/3/?sub=fb

In a breathtakingly creepy invasion of privacy, Facebook is forcing all smartphone users to download a new messaging app. The Android version of the app -- and to a lesser extent the iPhone version as well -- allows Facebook to access your phone camera and record audio, call and send messages without your permission, identify details about you and all your contacts, and send that info on to third parties.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has also admitted that his long-term plan could be to 'monetize' the app, so we need to act now before the app becomes impossible to stop.

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Yeah, I feel like an idiot because I've had the app installed for a good 2 months now. Although evaded it for a short while.

I've been thinking about deleting Facebook for a good while now, but I'd miss out on a lot because people don't share information directly anymore as everything has to be shared via social media nowadays, which is the problem caused by the internet. 

There's zero privacy on your account. Whatever you share or write in closed groups, your friends can see on their newsfeeds, and they can share it again, and then their friends can see it, and their friends, and the cycle goes on. Almost every other website you use has to be linked to Facebook (thus using your account-information) otherwise you can't make use of it. It's just a sickening website.

I decided not to use it for the same reasons, the only negative side is what Rocketeer said: I'm missing out on students sharing their work with the rest of the students so that they don't have to do it, but I personally don't feel too victimized by that. Using other people's work isn't going to make me pass, lmfao.

The only thing where I do find it annoying is when I need to do a group project and everyone in the group just wants to do the entire project over facebook groupchat (while the teachers always explicitly mention that irl meetings are necessary for the project to be succesfully completed). That's when I get a lot of shit for not using facebook and they often try to pressure me into making one anyway, lmao. Then again, facebook isn't the only website that gathers your private information and sells it to third parties, they're just a bit more obvious with it.

*goes and deletes facebook*

lol, "delete" :P

ur cute^^

in srsnz tho, as not a smartphone-user myself, isn't that pretty much what all other messaging-apps do too? and if not, why even bother with the facebook messager-app, from what i can see facebook just killed one of it's most practical features and left that gap open to other better suited and more widespread parties...

Of course facebook has access to your private information. After all, it's all going through their server-- Even when you talk on the phone there are keywords in every country that will turn on call recording. All you write or say through technology goes through ether that some company owns and has access to. However, the only legal situation in which these companies are allowed to give out your private info is when some form of police or other investigation establishments get a grant to go through it. No other third party should ever come in possession of your information or anything you set up as "private/only me" on the site, and otherwise facebook would long ago suffer serious legal consequences. I don't understand the fuss about this. It's always been like this, and we all knew it. 

The only rule there is - don't share what you don't want the site owners to know on the internet. The only people that should be concerned about this would be people doing criminal activities or sharing information like credit card or bank account numbers through the internet, and I don't believe anyone here is doing stupid shit like that. Facebook even warns you of sharing such info on the site.

Also, I'm an android user and I was not forced to download messenger app at all. Still using messaging through the app as ever

i dont even use the messenger app so whatever.

Neither did I until someone messaged me this morning and Facebook wouldn't let me see their message on my phone without downloading the app.

Of course facebook has access to your private information. After all, it's all going through their server-- Even when you talk on the phone there are keywords in every country that will turn on call recording. All you write or say through technology goes through ether that some company owns and has access to. However, the only legal situation in which these companies are allowed to give out your private info is when some form of police or other investigation establishments get a grant to go through it. No other third party should ever come in possession of your information or anything you set up as "private/only me" on the site, and otherwise facebook would long ago suffer serious legal consequences. I don't understand the fuss about this. It's always been like this, and we all knew it.

It's one thing to consent to give Facebook certain types of information. For example, I know that Facebook will read what I put on my wall or fill out as part of my personal information. But reading text messages on my phone that I did not give you access to? Not ok. Recording my phone conversations or personal conversations with other people using my phones microphone? No. Scraping that information from my phone and selling it to other people? Extra scummy. But then you want to take a function that I can do on my computer for free, remove it from your app even though it was working fine, and then possibly make me pay for it in the future? Mark Zuckerberg, you can suck my dick. The whole dick. Including the balls.

And you can take that information and sell it to third party advertisers too.

Also, I'm an android user and I was not forced to download messenger app at all. Still using messaging through the app as ever

Wait for the next app update and you'll be forced into it. It's already hit my friends iPhone this morning so it shouldn't be long.

lol, "delete" :P

ur cute^^

in srsnz tho, as not a smartphone-user myself, isn't that pretty much what all other messaging-apps do too? and if not, why even bother with the facebook messager-app, from what i can see facebook just killed one of it's most practical features and left that gap open to other better suited and more widespread parties...

XDD oops lool