Sign in to follow this  
doombox

[Band Battle] ONE OK ROCK vs. MY FIRST STORY

[Band Battle] ONE OK ROCK vs MY FIRST STORY!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you choose?

• ONE OK ROCK
    • MY FIRST STORY

Since both bands have releases coming out recently and rivalries seem to be on the rise, I'm really curious which Moriuchi brother band really has the goods? Unfair? Maybe.

ONE OK ROCK

21ox4b4.jpg

2eec41v.jpg

Which band did you choose and why?

Very unfair in fact.

One Ok Rock has about 6-7 more years of experience as a band than My first story and it really shows when you listen to there albums one after another. My first Story is decent though and I see them only getting better and better as time goes on but at this point in time there's really no contest when the experience gap is this big.

I actually think it might be fairer than people would expect because I've seen a pretty decent fanbase for MFS, not to mention many OOR fans are MFS converts. So we'll see, I suppose.

I think if you compare the first 3-4 releases only from each band they both have really strong material that easily competes with the other. Personally I think Taka has the better voice (or atleast more pleasant to my ears. I don't consider Hiro a bad singer at all) and OOR musically have clearer and more open arrangements which help having catchier hooks in their music. While I like MFS, I just don't find their music to be that catchy. It's a bit more technical and aggressive (not to say OOR also don't get aggressive at times) overall but sometimes that leaves their arrangements a bit muddy. So there's a lot of little differences with them. I just think OOR has had a stronger sense of composition from the beginning.

My first story because he atleast sings in japanese, though i'm not so sure with the new stuff. plus that guys voice isn't annoying when he goes there

I guess they're both great in their own right?

But yeah, they have a 6-7 year difference in experience. Then again, Hiro's had a headstart because he's had his brother to look up to (and most likely professional links/relationships/advantages, which if I were him I'd use too).

Comparing 20 year old Taka (Kanjou Effect) with 20 year old Hiro (right now) shows Taka had a better skill at that age, but at the same time I think Hiro's doing really great as well. He's improved loads in the past two years and I can only imagine what he's going to grow up being.

In terms of music, I think I prefer MFS, despite having been an OOR fan for so long. OOR is absolutely great live, but I think I prefer the liveliness of MFS' music over the mainstream side of OOR? Both are great though.

Also don't forget OOR's pretty much always been backed by A-sketch/Amuse. MFS is just on a small indie label.

My first story because he atleast sings in japanese, though i'm not so sure with the new stuff. plus that guys voice isn't annoying when he goes there

Both brothers combine English and Japanese and I think Hiro's the one who even uses more in English than Taka does. Also, are you sure you mean Hiro's voice isn't as annoying? They sound very similar to me, but even then Taka's voice is a lot more controlled than Hiro's is.

Both brothers combine English and Japanese and I think Hiro's the one who even uses more in English than Taka does. Also, are you sure you mean Hiro's voice isn't as annoying? They sound very similar to me, but even then Taka's voice is a lot more controlled than Hiro's is.

well from the first few release or so, if my memory is right there were like 1 or 2 all english songs on the releases. while searching OOR all english in my face and eff that! yeah meant what i said. ohh and i don't care for  "controlled."  :)

ONE OK ROCK, their songs just appeal more to me; they are catchier and I think their arrangements are more polished and refined even though they may not be as technical or aggressive as MFS's. While I do like MFS, lately I think that they started to go downhill, that is since they begun to release singles, and epecially the latest one. It feels like they are trying too hard. One thing I don't like is Hiro's english because it's just bad; they should stick with japanese lyrics. Taka's english is so much better. There are times when I kinda find Hiro's voice to be annoying, a little too "girlish", but obviously this is subjective. Overall I'd say Taka and OOR are one step above in every aspect.

well from the first few release or so, if my memory is right there were like 1 or 2 all english songs on the releases. while searching OOR all english in my face and eff that! yeah meant what i said. ohh and i don't care for  "controlled."  :)

The MFS album had some English songs, 3 I think. The second album was more Japanese, but OOR have never had more than 3 full English songs on any album, so I don't know what you mean by "english in my face" because it's basically the same for both bands. Taka sings combination Japanese and English in 80% OOR songs.

The MFS album had some English songs, 3 I think. The second album was more Japanese, but OOR have never had more than 3 full English songs on any album, so I don't know what you mean by "english in my face" because it's basically the same for both bands. Taka sings combination Japanese and English in 80% OOR songs.

youtube (since they been out for years)

youtube (since they been out for years)

That doesn't make any difference with the amount of English to Japanese language for each band, though.

To me, it's a tie (which is weird coming from me because I'm a bit MFS biased, haha!). The thing about them is that while, yes, they have many similarities, I view them as two band in completely different genres. I feel like if comparing to MFS to OOR, it would be compared to OOR's harder songs since I'd say about 90% of MFS's songs are composed of screams while Taka had mentioned he's no longer going to scream any longer in his songs. The truth of it is that both bands have their good and the areas they need to improve on, and while MFS's fanbase is pretty decent, OOR does have the experience on them. They formed in 2007, I think? While MFS formed in 2011, but I think MFS will go far.

Enough rambling. lkdsjkldsf It's a tie, and I love both bands. Taka has the cleaner vocals (while Hiro's are still developing) and Hiro's screams are on point, even during their lives. Both great bands, and I reccommend them both all of the time!

I'm just curious, where/when did Taka say he wouldn't be screaming anymore in OOR songs? I mean, screaming was never that prominent in their music anyway, but it feels weird to just rule it out completely. Like, why limit yourself?? :/ 

I like ONE OK ROCK, but something about MY FIRST STORY makes me cringe. I remember a writer for Sparkplugged jokingly describing them as "living the YOLO life" or something, and I think that really hit on the impression I get from them.

I'm just curious, where/when did Taka say he wouldn't be screaming anymore in OOR songs? I mean, screaming was never that prominent in their music anyway, but it feels weird to just rule it out completely. Like, why limit yourself?? :/ 

From what I know he said he wouldn't scream just to scream anymore, and would only do it when it adds to songs. He surely still did it when I saw them live last year.

I like ONE OK ROCK, but something about MY FIRST STORY makes me cringe. I remember a writer for Sparkplugged jokingly describing them as "living the YOLO life" or something, and I think that really hit on the impression I get from them.

MFS has had some cringeworthy spots here and there, I agree. Try checking their newer stuff though. It's gotten loads better. That said, they have a vocalist who's 20 with members around 26. Hiro's a special one, and I'm not surprised.

It probably helps that I had been listening to OOR almost exclusively for a good amount of time since they were one of the few bands I listened to when I first started listening to Japanese music. I would repeat two of their albums all the time, but with MFS, I've only given their stuff a few listens. There's something about Taka's voice which is so precious and individual, and I feel like that's why I'll always favour them over MFS. Both bands have catchy music and talent, but there just isn't that same feeling when it comes to MFS no matter what I hear.

P.S - We need another Band Battle gurl. <3

Sign in to follow this