Maiku

What are you reading?

I kinda ditched the Neal Stephenson book I was reading, and began the latest Chuck Palahniuk novel Doomed. I'm like 20something pages in and it's sooo gooood yesss.

Finished reading Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 this morning. Now I'm once again reading a Philip K. Dick book in preparation for my BA thesis.. This time it's The Zap Gun.

Currently in the middle of reading 2 books: Doomed by Chuck Palahniuk and Under the Dome by Stephen King.

I've just finished Doomed today, how do you like it? :) I thought it was quite nice, good continuation to Damned with some fun twists and turns. Can't wait for the final book in the trilogy!

Also I began reading Paul Auster's autobiographical book called Winter Journal. It's a pretty non-linear affair, but very easy and enjoyable to read. I guess I'll have a go at his Report from the Interior next, since that seems to be something like a companion piece to this volume (the former one focusing on physicality and the latter on mental/spiritual development).

I've just finished Doomed today, how do you like it? :) I thought it was quite nice, good continuation to Damned with some fun twists and turns. Can't wait for the final book in the trilogy!

Love it! It's hilarious. I got to go to a book reading with Chuck Palahniuk and got my book autographed. I definitely agree it's a nice continuation. It's a pretty funny story. Definitely looking forward to the 3rd as well!

Re-reading Doris Lessing's essays and other non-fiction - she only passed away 2 months ago and I miss her already ;_;

Also, reading some of Ralph Waldo Emerson's writings..

William Gibson's Pattern Recognition. It's weird to see him tackle a more contemporary setting after reading his Sprawl trilogy, but he still manages to somewhat keep the sci-fi feel even though the novel is set in 'our' 2002. Took me a while to get into the book, maybe because I was expecting something more cyberpunk, but now I'm really digging it.

Done re-reading John Green's Looking For Alaska and now I'm in the beginning of Yasunari Kawabata's Snow Country.

I should be working on my thesis instead.

I ditched Paul Auster's Book of Illusions for the 2nd time, I just can't get into it at all.

Began reading The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington which, on the other hand, has proven to be really fun! I think the popular description for it goes something like "Tarantino in medieval times," which encapsulates it pretty accurately so far.

some time ago finished Franz Kafka's The Trial. it was a great read overall but i have to admit some parts were boring for my taste(or maybe there were just way too many law terms?). although i really liked the general idea of this novel that no matter how hard you are trying to fight against the absurdness of the social system you will either fail in the end or become a part of the system yourself. so yeah highly recommend this for everyone.

and started reading Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. wanted to try this for quite a long time but its length has always scared me lol. well now i'm fine since i have all summer ahead. 

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars

...I just feel a kind of deep sadness now. Despite the incredibly fast pacing (too fast imo) and it being unapologetically written for teenagers, the thoughts that it offers are just as powerful...I am going to need a day to dwell on it.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change

Very interesting and enlightening so far..

Went to the press screening of Seth MacFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West and got the novel version for free - so reading that at the moment. Surprisingly decent and funny stuff. He managed to translate some jokes well into written form (I mean those that were purely visual gags).

Oe Kenzaburo's The Silent Cry.

This book is an intensely personal account of postwar Japan revolving around a family, and at the same time an epic vision of history that asks (but doesn't directly answer) large questions of interpretation, narrative, memory, the past. Oh and there's a lot of sex and disturbing scenes.

The last novel I read was Nabokov's Lolita. It's a great read despite the content. Every description is absurdly detailed, it makes you forget it's about an older man falling in love with a twelve year old. But I've been reading tons of short story collections from authors such as Chekhov, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Flannery O'Connor. Among others.  

Recently finished Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake. It's okay, it's funny in the usual Vonnegut way. It's the final book he ever wrote in his life and it sort of shows as there's a sort of prevailing theme of time and death throughout. 

Currently also reading Jeff Vandermeer's City of Saints and Madmen, the first part of his Ambergris trilogy. I'd already read the second and third parts, which were great (though nothing alike in terms of structure / style). Amazing worldbuilding at work here. Highly rec the entire trilogy for those of you who are into New Weird / Sci-Fi type stuff in the vein of China Mieville and such. 

Just finished reading The Demon of Undoing. Was recommend it by a friend as something that was on the short read side of things. It had its ups and downs but over all it was just an alright book, not sure if I would ever recommend it to someone.

Currently reading John Dies at the End by David Wong. It started out as a funny/amusing horror comedy but it ran out of steam around 2/3 of the way and I'm pretty much struggling on the last 80-ish pages now... the whole thing is longer than necessary imo (it's ~460 pages in total, lol).

Not sure what I'm gonna read next but I have plenty of candidates..