*brings thread back*

About the language thing... my father's from Tunisia and speaks 4 languages (almost 5, as he also can understand a bit Italian). I had the change to leanr one of these languages, but I was alwyays too lazy and though "I don't need to speak more than one language and maybe English".

Now I am sad that I can only basicaly speak German and my English isn't excellent. :(

I really love languages, I wish my parents had put me on a biligual school so now I could speak english u.u

I'm learning Japanese atm (this is my 4th year studying it) and when I finish it (by finishing it i mean finishing at the school I'm learning it, which is a 5 year-long course, because one never ends studying this language lol) I'll really get serious with English. I think I should be studying something related to languages at college instead of what I'm doing but well.. xDD

languages~ 

I think every Dutch person speaks at least 3 languages?

I mean, I had old Greek, Latin, French, German, English and Dutch in middle school.

Only had the last 3 in high school though.

I'm learning Japanese atm (this is my 4th year studying it) and when I finish it (by finishing it i mean finishing at the school I'm learning it, which is a 5 year-long course,  

Talk to me in Japanese on the minichat.

*brings thread back*

About the language thing... my father's from Tunisia and speaks 4 languages (almost 5, as he also can understand a bit Italian). I had the change to leanr one of these languages, but I was alwyays too lazy and though "I don't need to speak more than one language and maybe English".

Now I am sad that I can only basicaly speak German and my English isn't excellent.  :(

I'm with Ito.

Your English seems really good; I don't understand why so many foreign people belittle their own English skills.

Hey, at least you're bilingual! You're already ahead of most Americans, haha.

Übrigens, which 4 languages does your Dad speak? I'm curious...

Thanks. That's at least something, yeah XD

My father speaks Arabian, French, English and German and a bit italian ^^

A lot of people actually congrat my English skills, but I still have some issues about it. I often have problems with articulating myself mainly because my vocabulary isn't that big. I have sentences in my head which are German and sound perfect and explains what I mean in a nutshell, but I can't transfer it easily into English.

I guess as a foreigner you automatically have this feeling of being inferior when you try to speak in another language. You imagine that all the people who speak English as their native language will expect you to articulate yourself extremely well and that you aren't allowed to make big grammatical mistakes. i know that's idiotic and paranoid, especially when you come to realize that a lot of native English speakers cannot even speak their own language.

Thanks. That's at least something, yeah XD

My father speaks Arabian, French, English and German and a bit italian ^^

A lot of people actually congrat my English skills, but I still have some issues about it. I often have problems with articulating myself mainly because my vocabulary isn't that big. I have sentences in my head which are German and sound perfect and explains what I mean in a nutshell, but I can't transfer it easily into English.

I guess as a foreigner you automatically have this feeling of being inferior when you try to speak in another language. You imagine that all the people who speak English as their native language will expect you to articulate yourself extremely well and that you aren't allowed to make big grammatical mistakes. i know that's idiotic and paranoid, especially when you come to realize that a lot of native English speakers cannot even speak their own language.

All of what you just typed proves that you don't have to worry about your English skills. ^_^

I don't understand why so many foreign people belittle their own English skills.

I belittle it because I've studied English for over a decade and I'm still not fluent at it. I mean, sure, I get understood and all, but to seem natural I have to look up a lot of words, mainly synonyms.

Also, for the longest time I thought kindergarten was written with d and not t, like kindergarden, and it made total sense to me. :'D

^ What?!? It's not? Well... didn't know that. But anyways, my spoken English has gotten a lot better again lately, because I have a visitor from abroad (WhirlingBlack), and we use mainly English.

Have you guys met other people from MH before IRL?

When I was studying English and we went to England, I didn't dare to speak to the locals at all. Because, you know, it's not my native tongue.

Edit: Saw this on tumblr and found it fitting.

i8w0xGk.png