Trombe

グリーヴァ(Grieva) new maxi single & mini album release

it is announced at グリーヴァ(Grieva) one-man live "-終焉(shuuen)-MAD death.-" at Takadanobaba AREA at 2014/02/23 that their new maxi single "生ト死(sei to shi)" will be released at 2014/07/30 (2 TYPE)

regular edition (1,280yen) will include CD only, and web-shop & live-limited edition (4,444yen, limited 444) will include CD+DVD (including main-part scene of their one-man live at 2014/02/23)

[CD track list]
01.君ノ存在理論(kimi no sonzai riron)
02.生ト死(sei to shi)(SE)
03.僕ノ自殺理論(boku no jisatsu riron)

their new mini album "黒イ百合ノ花ト×××(kuroi yuri no hana to ×××)" will be released at 2014/10/01 (1 SE+6 songs, 2,548yen)

btw they will hold their 2nd anniversary presents live "生ト死(sei to shi)" at Takadanobaba AREA at 2014/07/01

グリーヴァ(Grieva) & アルルカン(arlequin) will hold their 2-man live tour "黒蟻ノ群レ(kuroari no mure)" since Sapporo SPIRITUAL LOUNGE at 2014/08/01 and up to tour final at Meguro Rock May Kan at 2014/08/30

グリーヴァ(Grieva) & DEZERT will hold their 2-man live tour "死x闘Ⅱ(shixtou Ⅱ)" since Urawa Narciss at 2014/10/05 and up to tour final at Takadanobaba AREA at 2014/11/03

SET-LIST at 2014/02/23:

SE
01.中絶
02.孤独人形症候群
03.殺戮ノ情景
SE
04.Lost tears
05.解離性同一性障害
06.Wish
07.another pain
08.脳内妄想薔薇薔薇Doll
09.黒い涙
10.潔癖症ノ僕。
SE
11.終焉
12.最後ノ晩餐
13.侵喰-Shinsyoku-
SE
14.退廃的狂葬
15.毒-ドク-
SE.[schwarz] of Hades
16.罪-tsumi-
17.無常成ル世界ノ解答
18.罰-batsu-
19.刑法第39条第1項「心身喪失者ノ行為ハ之ヲ罰セス」
20.Dead[en]D

EN1
drums solo
01.夕刻絶交センチメンタル
02.無常成ル世界ノ解答
03.鬼ノ犇メク籠目唄
04.孤独人形症候群

Waiting to listen to all that stuff.

I wonder if the japanese with the overwhelming amount of homophones that compose the japanese language don't have problems to understand the meaning of some expressions such as 生ト死 as their maxi single is named. There must be a lot of meaningful sei and shi in japanese to choose from >.<

Wow cool, these guys are on fireeee~ :D

Also it's not that fast of a release schedule if you compare it to some other bands - they just like to announce everything well in advance it seems. xD

^ This is fast because when a band announce a new CD, all songs are already composed...that is to say, these songs are probably ready since several months.

I prefer quality instead of quantity

Shuuen sounds promising. Although the chorus sounds a bit pop and I would completely get rid of any poppish sound.

@ Seikun: pretty sure that just means "life and death."

Yes, I know, but I was wondering if they understand it when they first hear it while there's no kanji being used.

Maybe I should opn a thread to ask about homophones in japanese and how people deal with them...

Shuuen sounds promising. Although the chorus sounds a bit pop and I would completely get rid of any poppish sound.

Yes, I know, but I was wondering if they understand it when they first hear it while there's no kanji being used.

Maybe I should opn a thread to ask about homophones in japanese and how people deal with them...

omfg I completely read "homophones" as "homophobes" the first time and that's why I was really confused. I recall getting a lot of similar sounding words incorrect in my Japanese classes in correct, some of which were funny to my teachers. For example, "takusan" means "a lot," but could be confused as "Mr. Taku."

If I made a Japanese textbook, I'd name one of the characters "Donna Toki" just to fuck with everyone. Am I asking what time or am I talking about Donna???? I don't know!!!

Moon runes are hard

In spoken japanese people will normally try to avoid using too many homophones when the intended meaning is not clear from the context. The large number of homophones is mostly due to a rather poor importing of chinese words - the chinese language already has a significant number of homophones, and the japanese made it even worse by getting rid of the tonal accents that didn't exist in their language, creating even more homophones.

However, there are almost always alternatives, for example by using genuine japanese words instead of chinese ones. For example, you will rarely hear the word "sei" used in spoken japanese to indicate "life". People will usually use the word "inochi" instead. The reading "shi" on the other hand is so closely associated with the meaning "death", that people will normally not assume any of the more obscure meanings without good reason. (The other most common meaning of "shi", the number 4, has a commonly used alternative "yon", to avoid this inauspicious connection to the word "death".)

So basically.... if the context doesn't indicate otherwise, people will assume the most common meaning of a homophone, like they would do in any other language. And in purely spoken language they will probably try to avoid confusing homophones by using alternative words.

On the furigana discussion, that's the band's intention I think. Their first album title when just listening sounds like 'demon lizard', but the way it's written is 'demon and shadow'. You can tell it's a play on the sound because the album cover features a lizard.

In spoken japanese people will normally try to avoid using too many homophones when the intended meaning is not clear from the context. The large number of homophones is mostly due to a rather poor importing of chinese words - the chinese language already has a significant number of homophones, and the japanese made it even worse by getting rid of the tonal accents that didn't exist in their language, creating even more homophones.

However, there are almost always alternatives, for example by using genuine japanese words instead of chinese ones. For example, you will rarely hear the word "sei" used in spoken japanese to indicate "life". People will usually use the word "inochi" instead. The reading "shi" on the other hand is so closely associated with the meaning "death", that people will normally not assume any of the more obscure meanings without good reason. (The other most common meaning of "shi", the number 4, has a commonly used alternative "yon", to avoid this inauspicious connection to the word "death".)

So basically.... if the context doesn't indicate otherwise, people will assume the most common meaning of a homophone, like they would do in any other language. And in purely spoken language they will probably try to avoid confusing homophones by using alternative words.

Wow, that was a nice answer.

I am very interested in homophones in japanese. Last time I checked, kousei had 17 meanings and sei had 14 meanings, that's insane!!!

Thanks for the informative answer!

O..O ENCORE Track 2 → [無常成ル世界ノ解答] , wonder what kind of mad song will it be !!!!!???

Guest Magatsu

mmhm? will there not be more released?

【DVD】
02月23日(日)高田馬場AREAにて開催されたグリーヴァ単独公演
「-終焉-MAD death.-」を収録!!

品番:AMWK-8
価格:\4,444円(tax in)
発売元:Ains
販売元:Ains

^ but doesn't that belong to the LIVE limited single?

^ That's the bonus DVD for the live & webshop limited version of the single.

regular edition (1,280yen) will include CD only, and web-shop & live-limited edition (4,444yen, limited 444) will include CD+DVD (including main-part scene of their one-man live at 2014/02/23)

Guest Magatsu

^ That's the bonus DVD for the live & webshop limited version of the single.

live and webshop version will be also 4444 yen XD

But still good price at least if there will be a lot of DVD content of the CONCERT on the bonus DVD ^^"

Yeah, I guess the price is so steep because there'll be lots of live stuff on the DVD (hopefully)... similar to when they had that boxed-set version of their 1st single.

Guest Magatsu

well let's hope so ^^

Will you try to get a copy?

The live limited single would cost you an arm and a leg: http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h186049950

17,000 Yen starting bid, so even if it doesn't rise higher with proxy shipping fees and stuff you probably end up with likwe 200$ for a CD with 2 songs. XD

Yeah, I saw this a few hours ago. I didn't even know about this damn CD until today. This is why live distributed releases make me so angry. This was given away for free at the show and some bitch makes a starting bid of 17,000¥? I always feel like there's someone to blame for live distributed releases: The bands? The labels? Band's management (in this case, Ains)? Another thing I sometimes wonder is: what harm would it do for a band to digitally release live limited material AFTER the release has been sold out? /rant

On the topic of new releases from グリーヴァ: I look forward to new stuff from them. But I'm more looking forward to the mini album, though it's a longer wait.

Guest Magatsu

The live limited single would cost you an arm and a leg: http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h186049950

17,000 Yen starting bid, so even if it doesn't rise higher with proxy shipping fees and stuff you probably end up with likwe 200$ for a CD with 2 songs. XD

But isn't that a different version and not this version?

Since you should be able to buy this version in their WEBSTORE too. so then you can get it for 4444 yen + proxy shipping fees.

^ You guys are talking about two completely different things.

Magatsu is referring to the live & webshop limited version of their upcoming single, Champ and Seimeisen are talking about a special live-dist CD with 2 songs that was given to those who attended the band's gig on February 23.