StriderSubzero

Looking to Start Old-School VK Online Band [official Licht:noir'e thread]

Well I've tried my hardest to Improve for you people but maybe singing isn't for me. At least I can say I finished this album. So I met my goal for this project. Thanks for the feedback. 

Sounds like a nice project, props for finishing this! And to the vocalist: Don't let the critcism get you down, it's no reason to stop singing if you enjoy it! Accept it and try to improve, people here have always been rather harsh in the musicians corner for various reasons. 

In my opinion, there is certainly room for improvement and some parts sound a little awkward (''Utopia''), but overall it's a solid performance and you do have your moments. Your voice has a certain Post-Punk vibe to it in some songs,  which I like.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

17 minutes ago, Kaleidoscope said:

Sounds like a nice project, props for finishing this! And to the vocalist: Don't let the critcism get you down, it's no reason to stop singing if you enjoy it! Accept it and try to improve, people here have always been rather harsh in the musicians corner for various reasons. 

In my opinion, there is certainly room for improvement and some parts sound a little awkward (''Utopia''), but overall it's a solid performance and you do have your moments. Your voice has a certain Post-Punk vibe to it in some songs,  which I like.

I grew up with a speech impediment which makes it very difficult on some songs. In fact I've tried recording Utopia a hundred times I'm sure. It hurts me after all the work I put in to this project to have it dismissed as "Sounds pretty nice except for the vocalist". I'm not optimistic that I could Improve in a way that would garner the respect I'd hoped. To be honest  this whole project sounded much better in my head than it turned out. I participated out of love for 90s Visual Kei music. It's dear to me but I think I'm going to retire from the project and therefore singing altogether. I have one last single planned for this project that I intend to finish but after that point I'm done. I've given my best effort. 

Edited by lichtlune

34 minutes ago, lichtlune said:

I grew up with a speech impediment which makes it very difficult on some songs. In fact I've tried recording Utopia a hundred times I'm sure. It hurts me after all the work I put in to this project to have it dismissed as "Sounds pretty nice except for the vocalist". I'm not optimistic that I could Improve in a way that would garner the respect I'd hoped. To be honest  this whole project sounded much better in my head than it turned out. I participated out of love for 90s Visual Kei music. It's dear to me but I think I'm going to retire from the project and therefore singing altogether. I have one last single planned for this project that I intend to finish but after that point I'm done. I've given my best effort. 

I totally get you man and I know the feeling very well, but if I have learned something throughout all the years I have done the online singing thing, it's that you should not focus too much on a few negative comments and take them to heart that much. I know very well that they hurt and can take your motivation away entirely for a while, but in the end it's just some people on the internet who have issues with your singing that can reach from just not liking the sound of your voice to personal reasons. I for one did enjoy your performance overall, just trying to be positive and show you that it might be worth sticking around if you enjoyed recording this album! But it's your decision in the end, just my two cents on the matter ;) 

hey, if this makes any difference to say -
grab a copy of Diru's Missa or even better, google sometime from La:Sadie's & tell me you sound any worse than Kyo does there

Or check out some of The Gallo or Vanessa's early releases & imagine what kinda shit Jojo & Tsudzuku would have heard with voices as weird as theirs

if you keep working at something you get hella better at it, whether you actually try to or not.

Haters gonna hate...

Neo/Licht U have done much more than some sofa farter who believes kawaii  music is done only by japs, koreans and yohio.

Your and Striders team work is inspiring. Keep the good work! 

I am gonna buy ur album :)

5 hours ago, rebelstrik said:

Haters gonna hate...

Neo/Licht U have done much more than some sofa farter who believes kawaii  music is done only by japs, koreans and yohio.

Your and Striders team work is inspiring. Keep the good work! 

I am gonna buy ur album :)

Thank you very much. :D Glad you enjoy it. 

On 11/16/2016 at 11:24 PM, rebelstrik said:

I kinda enjoyed dystopiua single version more, but let me try to listen ur album few more times and maybe later i will post some review or something.

That would be fantastic and would help a lot.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and also to those that purchased the album. Really appreciate it! 

1 hour ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

The Mirror kind of sounds like Merry Go Round. Were they an inspiration?

Neos can speak to the vocal composition, but instrumentally they were not a specific influence on that song. However I do like them quite a bit and their sound is something  I consider an influence.  I think in songwriting sessions for the EP I did at one point set out to specifically write something driven by an odd-time signature, bass-heavy groove in the vein of MGR but it never developed further. I hope I can explore that more in the future.

I would say that this song was probably channeling some mixture of Shiver, Syndrome, La'Mule, and Laputa. Specifically the walking bassline was something I wanted to incorporate. I don't know where that came from in VK, but sometimes you'll hear that in more jazz-influenced songs and often in songs with no discernible jazz influence. It always struck me as unique to VK that a post-punk or goth-rock song would have a walking bassline.

Edited by StriderSubzero
typos

Cool project!  I really like the "Lay To Rest" song, and also "Dystopia."  Especially "Dystopia."  Apparently we were on the Decadent Society Volume 2 together!

As for the singing, I like it!  I think you've got a cool gothic-y voice.  Don't let the haters get to you.  You are on key, good pitch.  I'm not much of a fan of most music with screaming, so I can't comment on the screaming, as that is just a personal preference.

I've released a number of things now, and my earlier stuff, some of it I now cringe at my vocals, but some people really loved those albums.  And some reviewers tore them apart.  Some reviews were so bad they made me laugh!  Whenever an absolutely awful review comes out for my music, I think of Motley Crue describing how all their albums up until Dr. Feelgood were just ripped apart by "professional" reviewers.  They said they usually wouldn't even read reviews of their albums, but they also said that bad ones were great publicity.  They said that they really didn't care what reviewers thought because it wasn't about them, it was about the fans.

Especially on my first two albums that I sang on, I got a good bit of criticism on my vocals.  I got a lot of "he's not using his range very well" and "he sounds bored".  Largely because of that feedback, I've worked more on my voice, as I have a generally low voice.  I've gotten much more confident over the years, so now there's not much criticism.  But every once in a while there is.  I try to take that criticism with a grain of salt, put it in my mind, and maybe work on that a little for the next song.  But like Motley, for me its not about reviewers, it's about the fans.  They are a much better judge of what you are doing.

I'm by no means a guru on any of this, but I find that it helps to listen to the criticism, laugh and say "man, fu¤% that guy," think about what they meant, and how it could potentially improve your sound.

Great work, keep doing what you are doing, keep pushing the envelope, and strive to get better at what you do every single time.  If you try something and it sounds like crud, analyze the situation and get back at it.

I'm gonna buy the album :)

50 minutes ago, Vitne Eveille said:

Cool project!  I really like the "Lay To Rest" song, and also "Dystopia."  Especially "Dystopia."  Apparently we were on the Decadent Society Volume 2 together!

As for the singing, I like it!  I think you've got a cool gothic-y voice.  Don't let the haters get to you.  You are on key, good pitch.  I'm not much of a fan of most music with screaming, so I can't comment on the screaming, as that is just a personal preference.

I've released a number of things now, and my earlier stuff, some of it I now cringe at my vocals, but some people really loved those albums.  And some reviewers tore them apart.  Some reviews were so bad they made me laugh!  Whenever an absolutely awful review comes out for my music, I think of Motley Crue describing how all their albums up until Dr. Feelgood were just ripped apart by "professional" reviewers.  They said they usually wouldn't even read reviews of their albums, but they also said that bad ones were great publicity.  They said that they really didn't care what reviewers thought because it wasn't about them, it was about the fans.

Especially on my first two albums that I sang on, I got a good bit of criticism on my vocals.  I got a lot of "he's not using his range very well" and "he sounds bored".  Largely because of that feedback, I've worked more on my voice, as I have a generally low voice.  I've gotten much more confident over the years, so now there's not much criticism.  But every once in a while there is.  I try to take that criticism with a grain of salt, put it in my mind, and maybe work on that a little for the next song.  But like Motley, for me its not about reviewers, it's about the fans.  They are a much better judge of what you are doing.

I'm by no means a guru on any of this, but I find that it helps to listen to the criticism, laugh and say "man, fu¤% that guy," think about what they meant, and how it could potentially improve your sound.

Great work, keep doing what you are doing, keep pushing the envelope, and strive to get better at what you do every single time.  If you try something and it sounds like crud, analyze the situation and get back at it.

I'm gonna buy the album :)

Thank you for the feedback! Glad to hear! 

On 12/9/2016 at 7:28 PM, Vitne Eveille said:

Thanks, I really appreciate that as well and thanks for the feedback. I liked your "Silhouette" song on Decadent Society a lot actually. Really dig the 80s influences you roll into your sound.

Checking Sink out has been on my to-do list for a month or two now and I finally got around to picking up the album...

Well done guys! Props for doing the damn thing. I've enjoyed The Mirror and Dystopia especially.

(Also.. are you guys from Virginia too? Nice)

8 hours ago, The Reverend said:

Checking Sink out has been on my to-do list for a month or two now and I finally got around to picking up the album...

Well done guys! Props for doing the damn thing. I've enjoyed The Mirror and Dystopia especially.

(Also.. are you guys from Virginia too? Nice)

Thanks for giving it a listen. I'm not from Virginia but @StriderSubzero is. We also had help from a support member from the UK. We'll likely remain a two person project from now on though unless some miracle happens. 

@lichtlune As you know I heard your singing the other night on the discord server and I don't think you're bad at all!  People love to trash others, but you just gotta take the punches and roll with it. I'd love to check out your music sometime, so PM me. You don't sound bad at all, and probably better than most of the people who post on MH so don't let their criticism get you down. There's always room for improvement obviously, but there's a time when you have to take haters in stride and I believe this might be one of those times. 

Edited by Atreides