Trombe

12012 new mini album "THE SWAN" release

it it didn't scream dir en grey rejects/unsraw wannabe and was closer to their indie-indie sound, it would have been received much better.

"also our sales plummeted immensely and Dynamite Tommy didn't want to lose money so he turned us into the second DIR EN GREY"

he does that with every current band, it never helps. dir en grey is what p. much funding his label these days.

not to mention that 12012's relevance peaked at play dolls, no one gave a fuck about their jpop albums despite being on a major label

yeah, that's what I meant (though I hadn't worded it well). PLAY DOLLs is from what I remember still their best selling album. In comparison to their poppy albums it sold really well (but only in comparison to those, lol), so when getting a band with general low sales I guess Dynamite Tommy applied the general method.

Also, I wonder now that they're off FREE WILL, if they'll drop the DEG rip-off thing. I mean, DEICIDA OF SILENCE was generally all self-titled left-overs (I mean come on, at least 3 of the 5 were) while the previews for THE SWAN sound a lot more melodic. Either they used the left-overs do to a quick cash in or DEICIDA was just released because they weren't sure what direction to take yet now that they weren't forced to be the next DEG anymore. Yet, if this mini is similar to DEICIDA then forget everything I just said.

Just because an album sucked, doesn't make it entirely comprised of "LEFT OVERS". What weight does that even hold? Are "LEFT OVERS" a means of trying to say that the band is just doing the same old same old? Or that it's somehow inferior because it wasn't chosen for the previous album?

If it's that they're doing the same old same old, I highly disagree because at least Deicida of Silence had the benefit of being SOMEWHAT better than their S/T because of a natural progression in songwriting and performance all around. The screams got BETTER (even if they weren't good), and the riffs became more impressive. There was a clear change even if it was in minimal aspects such as songwriting and technique.

If it's that the release is considered inferior because MAYBE (not known) some tracks didn't make the cut on their S/T, I reject that premise as well by bringing up the Beatles who comprised albums of material that didn't make it on previous releases, and those are hailed as MASTERPIECES.

LEFT OVERS is another term LIBERALLY used on this site to denote a lack of quality; but neither are mutually exclusive to each other.

tbh these "The Swan" previews sound even more like Dir en grey then the self titled. If the self titled had some MOAB era inspiration, these previews just scream DSS Dir en grey. You can really hear the influence on the guitar work(track 2 could be an Unraveling song)

Just because an album sucked, doesn't make it entirely comprised of "LEFT OVERS". What weight does that even hold? Are "LEFT OVERS" a means of trying to say that the band is just doing the same old same old? Or that it's somehow inferior because it wasn't chosen for the previous album?

If it's that they're doing the same old same old, I highly disagree because at least Deicida of Silence had the benefit of being SOMEWHAT better than their S/T because of a natural progression in songwriting and performance all around. The screams got BETTER (even if they weren't good), and the riffs became more impressive. There was a clear change even if it was in minimal aspects such as songwriting and technique.

If it's that the release is considered inferior because MAYBE (not known) some tracks didn't make the cut on their S/T, I reject that premise as well by bringing up the Beatles who comprised albums of material that didn't make it on previous releases, and those are hailed as MASTERPIECES.

LEFT OVERS is another term LIBERALLY used on this site to denote a lack of quality; but neither are mutually exclusive to each other.

Couldnt agree more with this, Idek why the term 'Left overs' is somehow being a trend in this board. I know some of you think DoS is lame or inferior, but remember that some do think that this EP is dope (at least I do). What I mean is, it goes back to personal reference. Doesnt mean that all the releases you do not enjoy are left overs of the previous stuffs.

tbh these "The Swan" previews sound even more like Dir en grey then the self titled. If the self titled had some MOAB era inspiration, these previews just scream DSS Dir en grey. You can really hear the influence on the guitar work(track 2 could be an Unraveling song)

I do not listen to DEG, yet I find that remotely odd. I didn't like DSS at all, yet these previews I do like. Then again, it has been two years since I listened to DSS and my taste has changed, so I guess that doesn't hold much power in the current case.

The term left overs as I used it did not mean anything connected to the quality of the music. Yes, I did not like the mini nor the self-titled, but that's irrelevant for what I was trying to say. Everyone likes different things after all! What I meant was purely that the style of music on the mini was more in the direction of their self-titled than the new mini is shaping up to be (judging from these short samples I can only have a hunch, of course).

I too have heard plenty of left-overs that didn't make the album just because they didn't fit the album as a theme, not because they weren't very good. 4U from Alice Nine is such an example. It didn't make the previous release, because Alice Nine figured it didn't fit the theme of the release. It was then later released on another record. Is 4U a good track? In my eyes it is, so left overs do not necessarily have to mean that the quality isn't good.

About the same old same old thing, that too wasn't meant at the quality. I do have to agree that DEICIDA was better than the self-titled (better riffs, better progression, limited UGABOOGAWRAHHH sections etc.), but I hope you understand me now.

Also, just because the general attitude of the board is that left overs mean bad songs, that doesn't mean that EVERYONE on the board means that when they're speaking of left overs, as in my case.

Genuine question, no trollin at all: What makes any track on DEICIDA better than TATTOO, or THE PAIN OF CATASTROPHE, leaving personal preference aside, and focusing on composition creativity, technical level, and performance?

I wasn't aware of all this hate on SEVEN, I find it a very well balanced album, with songs to please major crowds and early days fans aswell...

Guest mitsubana

this sounds much, much better than everything they've released after SEVEN.

I agree. And even if there are Diru elements, the singer can sing haha

Genuine question, no trollin at all: What makes any track on DEICIDA better than TATTOO, or THE PAIN OF CATASTROPHE, leaving personal preference aside, and focusing on composition creativity, technical level, and performance?

I wasn't aware of all this hate on SEVEN, I find it a very well balanced album, with songs to please major crowds and early days fans aswell...

I enjoyed TATTOO tbh.

pain of catastrophe was a terrible mess, it was over the place & seven basically happened exactly before 12012 made that GLAY cover and it seemed like a such pathetic attempt to grab cash both off their 2 jpop era fans and 3 vk era fanboys that were still following this band by some reason.

I enjoyed TATTOO tbh.

pain of catastrophe was a terrible mess, it was over the place & seven basically happened exactly before 12012 made that GLAY cover and it seemed like a such pathetic attempt to grab cash both off their 2 jpop era fans and 3 vk era fanboys that were still following this band by some reason.

I could totally use "terrible mess" and "over the place" to describe the self title and deicida songs... I really think that It's all about personal preference, I can't see how a song like Usubeni no Ame is so terribly composed or performed in comparison to uninspired stuff like CHABOO-CHABOO...

I could totally use "terrible mess" and "over the place" to describe the self title and deicida songs... I really think that It's all about personal preference, I can't see how a song like Usubeni no Ame is so terribly composed or performed in comparison to uninspired stuff like CHABOO-CHABOO...

I didn't say chaboo was anything better. I don't like most of their current stuff at all - I do dig when they roll out a nice chorus once in a while (hide & seek is a good example.)

Why do you think people are hating on SEVEN? I didn't see anything like that in this thread.

I think it was their best album since PLAY DOLLs, and its singles (the 2 you mentioned & Usubeni to ame) are all awesome. SEVEN was a nice attempt going back to their darker era after an overly poppish album, while their s/t was an over-the-top release, as if they'd try to compensate for their j-pop years so hard that an "average" dark album can't be enough, they must deliver DIR EN GREY-level heaviness to convince their fans they're over the j-pop thingy. At least that's how this whole thing looks like to me.

I feel sorry for them. They make softer music for a change, probably due to their record label, and then people bitch about it. They then change it up to appease listeners and then the fans still bitch about it.

Apart from SOME of the vocal work in their new phase, I honestly don't see what the problem is. Especially when loads of VK bands out there have much worse vocalists.

I personally love the new era and I can even tolerate the poppier albums. In comparison I found Play Dolls boring as hell :)

Fuck yeah. Glad they are still doing music like this and not just boring over done aggressive. Love the art style and how dreamy the whole thing is. Maybe Wataru saw that Black Swan movie? xD Great song and PV. Def better than that lame ass self titled where they fooled around with VK tropes. 

That was actually... really good? Wow, I'm surprised. Good job, 12012. Now I might actually have to take them seriously again...

This is the best song they've made in years. I'm really really impressed. Of course the English isn't good but apart from that I think it's a fantastic track. Really pumped for the mini now. This shows 12012 can actually still do it.

I'm speechless right now...that was just amazing. I feel like this is a better more fleshed out version of 夢喰い. I love hearing slow songs in drop B...those are like the best in my opinion. I'm under the impression that they too felt that DOS wasn't very structured for the most part and DEF corrected on that on The Swan. I hope its the case for the other songs. Right now THIS is the release to be on the look out for and even if it isn't all that great, I have a feeling it will show growth.

I was skipping this band's works on purpose for some time, entered here out of boredom. Song is really nice and I am actually surprised how strong the art direction is on the whole product. I could do without the scream section but otherwise really good sign for this band. Hope the full release and future cds are as good. Is cool to see them recover from... you know, that last horrible couple cds.