Sign in to follow this  
madygrain

NIGHTMARE - SCUMS

I am really excited about this album, but I won't listen to it until I get it in the mail. I would like to read some opinions, Though!

I would be grateful if you wrote your review here. Thank you in advance.

This really isn't a forum to request a review...

However, you've saved me the time of making one myself.

This has definitely been a hit for me from NIGHTMARE! My name is "SCUM" is one of those songs that you kind of wish they had made into a full song, but, oh well. Definitely loving the sounds coming from this album and all of the songs have appealed to me. I can't get into DISSEMBLE for now but hopefully that will change. My favorites so far are 雨と夜に..., ERRORs, and Droid.

However, I'm still on 404 but I felt that my opinion on this album is very well solidified after getting through half of it already, hopefully in some of the next songs I find an even more amazing songs than the rest.

10/10

EDIT: BLACKOUT is really amazing, it's my favorite now along with riddles

I'm only on track 5 right now, but I'm not totally impressed as of yet. I think the first few songs all had separately really good elements, but they couldn't decide on ONE they wanted the song to be and threw all these good parts together to kind of make a mess of a song. I would have to say Riddle is my favorite before listening to Ame to Yoru ni Ochite, which I'm loving so far. I think that for the first 4 songs they could have chosen like... To eliminate the jazzy riffs in Riddle... Maybe take the breakdown from ASSaulter and make the whole song to fit that breakdown which was awesome and it would've been a really good track. 

Going to post the rest as I go:

Dissemble seriously rocks. I think in terms of a non-ballad song, this takes the cake for me so far. Super fun, probably amazing to see live. 
Errors is pretty cool, but coming off of the coolness that Dissemble was I am underwhelmed. It's definitely NOT a bad song though. 
Great intro on Owaru Sekai... If they keep up this pace through the whole song it'll be decent. 
What a... unique intro to Droid. It's REALLY funky. I mean funky is the only appropriate word to describe it. But fuck is it cool. I love this song. 

404 is appropriately titled since my interest in this song is not found.

I think the best way to describe I'm Not is a power ballad. It's a big song, definitely well done. I like this one a ton too. Probably more than Ame to...
Deus ex Machina: the better of two singles.

Blackout is kind of simple, and your usual Nightmare song, which I like so I'm gonna say this song is a win.

Behind the Mask... Sort of brought the album out the way it came in with a messy disjointed song. 

So, all in all I think it's a good album save for the couple of weak spots. I don't think it's their best work EVER, but it's better than most. I'd put it in the middle. Average.

This album had the exact same problems (and perhaps in an even worse state) as their self-titled: lack of variation, no flow, incredible abuse of the standard formula etc. The songs sound very similar, it doesn't feel like an album, more like a random songs collection. Some songs seemed to have nice ideas, but couldn't hold onto them long enough for it to be interesting. Other tracks like riddle were examples of them trying too hard to be cool and edgy (lol, sorry Maiku) and making only something way too messy, particularly the intro.

Sakito was like: HEY GAIZ CHECK OUT MY HIGH PITCHED SPECIAL RIFFS, then Ni~ya was like: OH HELL NO BRO MY BASS SLAPPING SHOULD BE TOTALLY FOCUSED ON, and then Hitsugi went like: FUCK YOU GUYS, I'LL JUST TURN MY AMP UP SO HIGH THAT NOTHING YOU GUYS DO CAN BE HEARD EXCEPT FOR BACKGROUND EFFECTS and Ruka probably thought: BETTER JUST ABUSE THE BASS PEDALS AND SLAM LIKE A BOSS AND IT'LL WORK.

All in all, I rate this a 5/10. People who like the standard-formula they've been recycling for the past two years will probably dig this album though. I'm personally considering giving up on them, seeing as the last thing they released I liked was the VERMILION single. I guess the change to avex didn't really do it for me musically. Such a shame, really.

I wouldn't mind if they released 雨と夜に墜ちて and droid as b-sides for deus ex machina single and scrapped the rest

boring album that adds nothing to their has-been-impressive discography

This is my first review, so don't complain if it lacks of thoughts and stuff like that! :D

I would say that this is a really upbeat album imo.It has some nice songs, but also some weak points. As sai said it lacks of variation as the self-titled and indeed it is not their best album ever (mine being Anima), but anyway it is pleasant to listen to.

My absolute favorite of this album is Deus ex machina *-* <3 Other highlights: Owaru sekai no hajimari wa kinari, I'm not, BLACK OUT, Ame to yoru ni ochite,404 and mimic.

Well, as they are my favorite band, this time they disappointed me a bit, because I expected more from them, but I can't say that this is a bad album.

So, that's all~

See ya~! :D

Edited by Suzaku

I feel like scums is somewhere in between being an okay album and good album. Average comes to mind. And here’s why.

The main problem with Scums is that there are a too many tracks that are just average. They’re not necessarily bad but they’re just okay. And it isn't that the entire songs are average, because there are interesting parts, but that the rest of those tracks fail to maintain the engaging aspects of those unique parts.  And okay songs means they don’t stand out on the album, aren’t memorable and don’t get played as often as the songs that are good. They end up being filler tracks. And with the album being nearly an hour long, it dilutes the stronger tracks and makes the album drag. 

I don’t care for the tracks with the overdone weird playful synths, and think they are detrimental to some of the songs, take Riddle for example, or the chorus to Assulater. I enjoy Nightmare better when the band takes songs more seriously, or rather makes more serious songs than I do when they’re just mucking about with sounds. The electronic programming on the album is well put together, it just isn’t cohesive with the music. Also I don’t understand the filter they put on Yomi’s vocals on the last track. I dug that song but it could have been better without that vocal filter effect.

I do like that the sound production on the album wasn’t messed up, like on other Nightmare albums. There are great bass licks and great guitar riffs. The lead guitar playing is the best thing I enjoyed about this album and is second only to the bass playing. It’s melodic, dynamic, and displays the elements of a guitar virtuoso. It makes me wish the guitars would stand out better in the mix.

My top tracks for the album

mimic

Dissemble

Errors

I’m not

Deus Ex Machina  

Some of the above tracks make the album at least worth a listen. 

I say overall its a 6.5/10

but the guitar playing adds another .5 so it's a 7/10 for me.

Bland. Uninspiring.

It looks like they doesn't even try anymore.

It seems to me that didn't go very far since their major break out after their Death Note days.

To make the matter worse,

their album title are so random.

It is like one of those poser bands that choose an album title to look cutting edge.

Plus they ruined this image for an iconic album if the same name by a much greater band, Napalm Death.

So srsly screw Nightmare for this lol

Overall, if you are into weaboo music,

this album is totally offers everything you want.

But, if you seek for some brilliant artistry, don't waste your time (and money).

This album had the exact same problems (and perhaps in an even worse state) as their self-titled: lack of variation, no flow, incredible abuse of the standard formula etc.

I'm personally considering giving up on them, seeing as the last thing they released I liked was the VERMILION single.

wasn't sure if I should check this one out, but your review has persuaded me not to bother downloading.

"N00blet" is the title for every new member until they have at least 5 posts. It's meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously, like pretty much most of our ranks. The title automatically upgrades once you make more posts, and if you reach a certain number of posts, you can set your own title.

This is probably going to be quite a lengthy review since I was quite disheartened after reading some of the later reviews here...

I enjoyed reading your review!

the thing for me is: Nightmare reached their zenith with [anima], and i just don't know what happened to them from libido to that stellar album. production? could'nt be better! songwriting? couldn't be more tight, mature and amazing! Everything after this album had to be worse, and so it came. Worse doesnt mean bad, i love the World Ruler, had my problems with Killer show, ignored majestical parade more or less and regained faith with NIGHTMARE.

i love nightmare. no matter what release, you can be sure there are at least a couple of stellar tracks on there. (even on my least favourite album majestical paradde: Lost in Blue! Chronicle!) But they never reached that consistence and majurity again, which they suddenly had on [anima]. I mean, listen to Sessou, Mahora and then message. completely mindblowing! all tracks on that are 5/5 for me, and they never had that before or after. I am totally serious when i say that [anima] is on par with LUNA SEAS MOTHER for best VK album.

SCUMS has to fight with majestical parade for worst album. again, it has its stellar tracks (mimic, deus ex, droid, ame..., owari sekai...) but even more then on majestical, the rest are really bland filler tracks. even in those fillers i find single parts which i love and that keep me from deleting the songs, but its really frustrating when they ruin good ideas with formular song writing. most of the tracks are simply uninspired (even owari sekai, which is 100% swallowtail in the verses).

the true really new sounding songs for me are droid and ame.... amazing stuff.

whereass ASSaulter has to rank as one of the WORST nightmare compositions ever made. what is that mess????

so, absolutely bivalent album for me.

sorry for my uncohesive thoughts and review. fits with the album maybe!

hmmm i still think that sakito is a bit more mature in his songwriting.

i tend to enjoy his stuff much more than rukas.

ruka has stellar tracks too (message, deus ex machina, Raven Lud speeaker) but the melodies for his choruses tend to bbe a bit cheesy (dirty, masquerade, paranoid). they start so good, with cool riffs, and then often comes a harmony break down with odd sounding chorus melodies. sakitos composiions are much tighter and cohesive in my opinion.

i totally agre with you about the time thing: they do so much touring, and then still almost every year they release an album.

if they take two years for each album nightmare would release the best vk albums ever! just imagine the best songs on each album made up to one! amazing!!! :)

for me the perfect SCUMS would be then: 

VERMILION

Cherish

a:FANTASIA

Rinne

SLEEPER

RAY OF LIGHT

the sorrow of deciever

Rem

Rover

Deus ex machina

mimic

ame...

owaru sekai...

droid

kind of like that.

I should be studying but whatever XD I really appreciate your response! 

by the way: can you tell me the composers of the music for each song (i dont care who wrote the lyrics) of the last releases (mimic, deus ex machina and SCUMS)? i just know of those which you mentioned in your review. i always have my tips who composed which and then enjoy to see if its true or not!

thanks!

The intro song...is so amazing. I wish they just full on did a whole track on it. Other than that the rest of the album is pretty much MEH for me. Yeah a few bangers here and there but nothing that hasnt been done by them or stands out really honestly. Majestical Parade, Killer Show, and right at number 1, ANIMA is their best work. Can't say they've beat those albums with their recent material.

If you set down your expectations and completely ignore what band you're actually listening to, it's kinda enjoyable for some parts. There are horrible tracks like ASSaulter (exactly, that song is f****** ass), and there are pretty good tracks like droid and errors. The electronic adds don't really make things better or worse, since it's the songwriting for itself which is heavily flawed in about half of the album. And it gives you false expectations right at the beginning, with a very nostalgic, solid intro song!

But really, if you shut down all your senses and need just some random background music for a gaming session or whatever, SCUMS doesn't completely fail.

If you consider this as a Nightmare release though... it's bad, and the few good tracks won't help it very much. Let's just hope after their foreign shows they got some new inspiration or new spirit to forget about SCUMS or that other mess, Dizzy.

(Why call this Scums, anyway? They come up with the most glitter, high society-like costumes ever and talk about being scum. Either there is some deep philosophy behind this, or ... whatever)

EDIT: Well, I had to limit my anger to "only" 3 songs of this album (ASSaulter, Dissemble, 404) since after about 10 listens this strange effect comes in that I normally only know from Dir en grey. I wouldn't have thought there is so much to discover in terms of melody and structure in this album. I just had to add this since I believe my original review does the album great unjustice. It's actually not that bad, or so to say it'S much better than the previous 2 albums.

Kinda embarassing...lol

Sign in to follow this