0rei

Is liking VK a phase?

^ Four is more than none. Even if there's only 4 new VK bands that are good it still means you can't say "none of the new VK is unique", because obviously, some are. And I'm pretty sure other people on this forum can come up with their favorites that they think are unique.

All music is at some level a copy of something else, and the idea of emulating a popular style is by no means unique to the visual-kei industry: it's just more blatant since bands that copy or borrow from other ideas tend to look similar in addition to sounding similar.

edit: originally wrote "almost is at some level..." whoops. I need to sleep more...

Well i can say for sure that i only like old school VK . The new ones just do not sound good , most bands technically sound like a boysband but with more rock/metal sound to it nothing more . Seriously i miss the good old VK , where bands where really amazing and all had they're own style and sound , they where what VK was meant to be unique . Now its just a bunch of copycats who suck at doing anything alone , and are not unique at all . One band is a copy of another who is a copy of some other that is a copy of some other and so on . You can compare the new VK bands to crap on the same level as Justin Bieber . Just listening to them make me wants to puke , old VK had some awesome range of different genres from softer rock to really heavy and brutal metal , now its all just nu or alternative metal with some mix of alternative rock here and there . I check almost all new bands , but after first minute i have enough of them . At least there are some good VK bands in all that mass of crap that play some good stuff like , Nocturnal Bloodlust (did not start as VK , turned into a VK and lost 2 starting members also started to play post hardcore instead deathcore) , Omega Dripp (good old schoolish VK Band with some great technique and some good old school sound , they play industrial/glam rock , and sound like Rob Zombie in some songs) , Versailles (what to say Hizaki and Kamijo are both oldschool in VK) , NoGod (tend to have some good songs , but mostly nothing special) and thats all .

Be careful here. Hindsight is 20/20. it's easy to say that the visual music from the 90's is better than today's music because only the best of the best have survived over time. I can guarantee you that there are just as many crappy visual kei bands now as there were then - there was just no outlet to hear about them. Many of these crappy bands have been lost to time, and some of the good ones too. It only seems different because the Internet allows us to find out about virtually any band that forms within the last few months. We are now barraged with more information than ever before. It's not the scene that's changed, but just your perception of it.

And for the record, the whole "90's VK scene" was fraught with as many faux-goth bands then as the scene today is filled with metalcore bands that like electronic effects. It's a challenge to find good artists doing something different no matter what genre you listen to, no matter what time it comes from.

Be careful here. Hindsight is 20/20. it's easy to say that the visual music from the 90's is better than today's music because only the best of the best have survived over time. I can guarantee you that there are just as many crappy visual kei bands now as there were then - there was just no outlet to hear about them. Many of these crappy bands have been lost to time, and some of the good ones too. It only seems different because the Internet allows us to find out about virtually any band that forms within the last few months. We are now barraged with more information than ever before. It's not the scene that's changed, but just your perception of it.

And for the record, the whole "90's VK scene" was fraught with as many faux-goth bands then as the scene today is filled with metalcore bands that like electronic effects. It's a challenge to find good artists doing something different no matter what genre you listen to, no matter what time it comes from.

i agree with this

i'm bored so i'm gonna be random and say my long opinion. sooory for my long post .i think i should write this in the other thread.i think i 'm out subject sorry.

to be honest i love some of the new bands but it's getting harder and harder to find new bands that i like.

i totally agree with zess. when we live in it  ,it's very difficult to see which bands will be great and will be remembered from your own era ,the moment you live in it.

but i try to think who may be the next great thing and seriously i can't find.

who from the new bands has the power to be as influencial and succesful and be loved and remembered,

even change things, the way deg or xjapan or kiyoharu or luna sea  did etc

i  don't even listen to all of that. but seems every band talks about them and has been influenced.

for example  personally in 2013 i try to find a band that make songs at the same level as deg.

and i can't find anyone. (the irony when almost everyone is copying them. influenced by them.)

even though i love some of the new bands.

and wouldn't it be ideal if  this era had  like 20 new bands at deg's level to choose from.

and there isn't anyone

(also i didn't mean only from the 90's .when i said it feels everything is getting worse. is because from 2008 ,most of the bands that existed then are getting  worse. it's not onlythe deaths and the disbandments , the new bands they make and the new music they make in comparison with the older  they had is disappointing.

example vidoll,phantasmagoria,deluhi,mucc, girugamesh, lynch ,i hear people

say that for the gazette too, satsuki, all psc bands etc .from l'arc en ciel we went to vamps)

and i don't think it's because of nostalgia, if something great was going on now

people would say it)

but maybe new people that get to vkei now can't see that at all. and it doesn't matter.

to be honest i don't even care anymore i am kinda happy with my new bands lately.

i just can't find many new bands that i like,i like only very very few  :(

i remember how excited was everyone with deluhi

i think kiryu are unique and one of the better bands but don't have the power to be the next great thing

and kameleo and futurizm boyz maybe are cute but seriously...

about mejibray i hear often. i actually like them. i think they are very commercial (but in a rock way, not mainstream) and that's a talend. seems that they are really trying.maybe they'll have success if they don't disband.

their songs are pretty cool but they are not amazing enough.

@Sakura Seven said about

The bands that ARE doing interesting things tend to get ignored, especially overseas. Usually in favor of garbage.

See: Swallowtail, emmuree, Moran, amber gris, Dolly

honestly i don't see the power there to move emotionally crowds. be realistic.

they are not good enough

i think kiryu are unique and one of the better bands but don't have the power to be the next great thing

and kameleo and futurizm boyz maybe are cute but seriously...

I find that incredibly offensive. How'd you feel if I came to you and said: "Deg's cute but seriously..."

And Kameleo has hit an incredible success in Japan, and in a really short time. To be honest, there are not many bands who'd actually have much of an effect in their income when it comes to western sales. So... they COULD be the next great thing. You're just not seeing it yet.

I find that incredibly offensive. How'd you feel if I came to you and said: "Deg's cute but seriously..."

And Kameleo has hit an incredible success in Japan, and in a really short time. To be honest, there are not many bands who'd actually have much of an effect in their income when it comes to western sales. So... they COULD be the next great thing. You're just not seeing it yet.

this is so funny i would laugh actually.well i'm pretty confident about deg since their success has already been proven.

lol how is offensive that i have a different opinion and i don't like kameleo.don't get so sensitive.it's my opinion.

well we will have to wait and see. i admit i can't be sure about anything in the future i just say my opinion.

but omg how sad for me then ,if what's great in 2013 in rock became kameleo. maybe i'm stuck to the past

^i can be mean but i am amused to be honest by the reaction so

^ And I don't like Deg, to they're cute but seriously.

End of discussion.

xDDDD you are being cute but seriously .i really hit a nerve there didn't i? xD. well i get defensive about my fav bands too.

well actually when i write my opinion i try to be as objective as possible and i am very cruel in judgement even to the bands i like.

most people don't try to be objective. maybe there should be a difference between oshare and darker bands in success and judgement.

to be honest i don't have a clue about oshare.

I'm being as objective as a person can be. I understand that people don't like my favorite bands and expect other to understand that I might not love their favorite bands. But I think it's a lot different to "not like" and to "hate". I'm discreet enough to not insult Deg in front of a Deg fan even though I don't like them. I'm not saying they haven't accomplished anything just because I don't like them. 

You're not annoying me because you don't like Kameleo or FUTURISM BOYZ, you're annoying me because, like Peace said, you're talking in a dismissive way. I seriously don't give a fuck of what band you're doing that to. In case you haven't noticed, through the whole thread I've stood up for the whole Visual Kei as a genre, even though I don't even listen to like one percentage of it. I'd stand up for Gazette, which I dislike almost as much as Deg, if someone said they haven't done anything remarkable, because I know they have, even though I might not like it.

So from this on, if you still have something to say about my cuteness, please do that by PM'ing me. This topic is no place for it.

i don't want to pm. well we are not so irrelevant it's about vkei so i write it here.

i never said i hate them.i actually said i think they are cute. my subject was about if i believe that they are the next great thing.influencial and be loved and admired by majority of people.objectively.

not if they are bad or not. that's what the "but seriously" was referring too.

and if you noticed my text generally, my expectations are so hight that i can't find anyone to be the next great thing.

but now that i think about it.  i think oshare should be judged differently.

i was actually asking in a way from people to prove what new band can be great. by saying their sales  like you did it's a way.

if they have so good sales it's scary for me. for my taste of music

:wan-18:  seriously though are they succesfull。  i don't see much listeners in last fm. they have very few.

ok i have to let go now lol. i have to stop wanting to answer everytime. i'm stopping lol.

lmao @ your logic. sucess ≠ talent. it may have a part in it that's for sure, but if you only like artists because they're sucessful and have a lot of last.fm listeners (lol) then you must be a big fan of all of these artists http://www.last.fm/music just look at how many listeners they have!! gtfo

omg i can't stop can't i .my logic. being able to move emotionally the majority of people. or many people without advertisment is one of the qualities of greatness. pop doesn't count because the  success is mostly because of promotion and advertisment. in rock or underground music usually it's amazing how they have success just because many people discover them and love them for some reason. without someone promoting them.

edit: also i judge by music and lyrics. what the artist want to present and say to the audience.

Well, if you want to talk numbers then that's fine. Kameleo has been around for a little over a year now. In that time, they've released 6 cds, had a very successful oneman tour(I believe they sold out 2 of the 4 lives), oversold their anniversary live at Shinjuku Blaze(the venue held 800 people and it was PACKED...trust me, I was there XD), they've sold out 4 of the 5 venues for their upcoming oneman tour and will be having a oneman in a few months at a venue that holds 1,300 people. If that isn't success then I don't know what is. Sure they might not be the most popular band overseas yet(if you use last.fm as a metric), but that's barely a qualifier for a band that's only been around for a relatively short time.

As for their lyrics and their ability to move people emotionally, I can't quite say as I don't understand Japanese. I've heard that their songs, while they might  sound sweet on the outside, actually have rather deep lyrics. I can say that they certainly care quite a bit about the mood that their songs give off though. When I saw them live they had actors come out on stage to play out a prologue to one of their songs and set the emotional stage, so to say.

(Is this enough talking about Kameleo though? This thread "is liking VK a phase" not "is Kameleo totally awesome" ;x)

Okay guise, why are we even having this conversation?

@ miyuu

If you read my first message to kurenaishineek carefully, you'll notice that I never claimed Kiryu or FUTURISM BOYZ or Kameleo to be successful. I only said they're unique, and to THAT you decided to answer "yeah they're cute but seriously", implying that you think they're not. I wasn't trying to prove they're the next Gazette. I was only saying that, imo, they do something that no other band has done before, even if it's just an unique combination of already done things. Whether they're successful (what I, yet, think Kameleo is) has nothing to do with it.

@ Biopanda

I love you. Totally in a platonic way, but I do. Because everyone's gotta deal with Hikaru's swag.

Alright, this has derailed for long enough. Whether Kameleo is the next big thing or not is not relevant to the initial question of this thread. That also goes for the other bands and your personal opinion on them. Leave those for the artist thread of said artist, not for here. miyuu, there is no reason to act like a dick, but this also goes for the rest. Since this has completely derailed and the initial question doesn't seem relevant anymore I'm just going to lock this thread. I'm willing to unlock it if you can convince me that you'll continue in a mature and on-topic manner.