CAT5

VK and Kpop....why?

The people that did the infamous shift from completely removing VK from their life and attaching themselves to K-Pop are morons though. I also say good riddance because these people were probably obnoxious, I mean some of these people are still obnoxious. Hanging around making sure everyone knows they don't like Japanese music and only K-pop. I don't see that here on MH but it pops up in the old Livejournal communities.

Here in Italy is FULL of this kind of people. These girls even dress Ullzang now and changed their universities studies from Japanese to Korean. They deleted all the proofs of their love for vk/jrock/Japan to dedicate completely to Kpop. They even talk you bad if you don't like Kpop because "you're racist, you like only Japanese stuff, why not Korean, you're not open minded, how can't you like dancing and going to disco" It's creepy.

I don't have problems if you like Kpop, it's your taste XD But I hate people who totally removes they past love for V-kei, because they would have never discovered Kpop if they first haven't listened to V-kei. Do they do this in order to seem "true" Kpop fans? I seriously don't get it. In my life before V-kei/Jrock I loved (and I still listen) other musical genres (pop-punk, nu metal, metalcore...) and I am not ashamed to say I have liked them and I still like some bands of these genres.

Anyway, talking about music, I personally think rock is definitely more original and serious since songs are written mostly by the band members and not by some random managers, lyrics are more deep and elaborated, concerts are less fake (less playback, less coreography with random hot asian guys). So it's ridicolous to say that K-pop is for older girls because yeah, they're usually older, but many of them are more immature indeed. They behave like a 13-years old fangirl when they're 20-23, meh.

I didn't realize it was such a huge number of people (at least the ones who completely abandoned japanese rock/look down on it now). I still listen to a lot of Japanese music. TBH Korean music to me is mostly BIG BANG and 2NE1 which have become two of my most favorite and listened to groups. Other than them though most kpop and visual kei isn't that different in terms of originality and innovation. I like kpop because I like electronic, RB, dance music just as much as folk, heavy rock, classical, etc. I need to get my dance on with some heavy beats.

Also, anyone who tries to deny that they used to like VK or pretends kpop is more superior and complex is an idiot.

Here in Italy is FULL of this kind of people. These girls even dress Ullzang now and changed their universities studies from Japanese to Korean. They deleted all the proofs of their love for vk/jrock/Japan to dedicate completely to Kpop. They even talk you bad if you don't like Kpop because "you're racist, you like only Japanese stuff, why not Korean, you're not open minded, how can't you like dancing and going to disco" It's creepy.

That happened here too haha. Or at least, a lot of people who major in Japanese started taking a minor in Korean. Over the last 3 years we went from 8 first years majoring in Korean to about 30 and there's probably even more this year.

I've always felt there's little difference between visual kei and pop/idol, only the style of music. Both are basically cultivating a story & image to sell to the fans.

In both genres the look is really important, but the music can be totally different. Talking about the harder genres of vk, what can you find in common in a song by Dir en grey in their visual kei era like Zan or Schwein no Isu or Platonic Bitch by UnsraW with a kpop song? I personally think your sentence is way too generic.

Here in Italy is FULL of this kind of people. These girls even dress Ullzang now and changed their universities studies from Japanese to Korean.

Ok. now that's the peak of stupidity, if K-pop truly is the only reason they do that

Edit: Btw I want to see if K-pop will eventually have indie idol-groups that get well know/fan base. I wonder if that's possible with their culture and whether those groups would try to get creative and do something slightly different.

In both genres the look is really important, but the music can be totally different. Talking about the harder genres of vk, what can you find in common in a song by Dir en grey in their visual kei era like Zan or Schwein no Isu or Platonic Bitch by UnsraW with a kpop song? I personally think your sentence is way too generic.

Was this to me? Music is only a part of each genre... I'm talking about the whole package. When looking at the whole package, there is very little difference between visual kei and pop/idol.

i agree with @*りりこ*

i can totally understand when people like both!!

what i don't like and i think fake is when someone forget completly rock and go to pop

yeah sure kpop and vkei both have to do with fangirling but

i can't believe that someone who honestly likes rock sounds can forget them so easily and

only listens to pop.

he might change genres to non-vk or pop rock growing up etc but not only pop. at least so easy as these fans do.

i think those people were in it only for the looks from the beggining, never for the music

(also even about appearance. how can someone who admire rock looks suddenly like pop culture.

there is a difference in culture and styling. unless you just go for the hot guy whatever he wears)

Here's a bit about me and where I stand when I listen to both VK and Kpop:

1. I am female but I don't like the visuals of either VK or Kpop. They make me vomit.

2. I am a listener of European extreme metal.

3. I grew up with Chinese pop music.

4. Yes, I grew up with anime too but that's irrelevant to me.

5. Yes, I enjoy VK and Kpop a lot (but I am selective of what's good to my ears).

I just prefer asian melodies a lot more. VK is really catchy to me. I always wanted to love pop music as well, but I hate most of the American pop on the radio because the melodies annoyed the fuck outta me. Kpop just sort of filled that missing gap for me.

Why do people feel the need to so avidly deny that they hate vk and kpop visuals? There's nothing wrong with it (with liking it I mean).

Perhaps because these people are afraid they'll be put in the category of "we only care for the looks, because that's clearly visible seeing as we switched to K-pop", without even having completely switched to K-pop in the first place.

Perhaps that's the reason why I couldn't see myself really getting into kpop. I don't care about looks either.

Perhaps because these people are afraid they'll be put in the category of "we only care for the looks, because that's clearly visible seeing as we switched to K-pop", without even having completely switched to K-pop in the first place.

Yeah, I guess I should rephrase: Why do people consider it such a deadly sin to like something for the visuals..? It's not like enjoying visuals and enjoying sound exclude eachother.. Meh.

I really see nothing wrong with liking the looks either. I mean it is called VISUAL KEI for a reason, right? :) I won't lie, if the bands looks are looking like they popped out of a gyaru-o host club I'm definitely not gonna waste my time when I know they're not being serious about it. That's really the reason I don't listen to most kpop or any of that neo VK shit :| sorry if I'm getting off topic, I just wanted to get my word in on Gizorz's comment ♡

Yeah, I guess I should rephrase: Why do people consider it such a deadly sin to like something for the visuals..? It's not like enjoying visuals and enjoying sound exclude eachother.. Meh.

Yes, what sai said is where I fit. I don't think liking the visuals is a bad thing. To each their own because I just happen to not like them at all. Sorry, but heavily made up men are unattractive to me and people who keep trying to convince me otherwise should just leave me alone.

CAT5 said:
I'm honestly perplexed and need for the fans of both VK and Kpop to explain to me why so many people find these 2 scenes to be simultaneously appealing. I have my own theories, but I'm interested to find out directly from the fans. I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to music from either scene, but there seems to be a trend of people listening to both almost exclusively, and another trend of people moving to Kpop after they tire of the VK scene. I'm merely curious to find out why this is such a widespread movement...

Ahahah. Without reading anything else yet, I just have to say that I have been asking this question myself for nigh on 3 years. And I too, have my theories. 8D

ETA - not sure why people constantly insist that those who say they don't like the visuals of visual kei are liars or trying to avoid some stereotype.   If someone is literally only listening to the music, the looks are kinda here nor there lol.  But Idk, if a person's main music diet appears to be Kpop and VK, I'mma draw some pretty damning conclusions lol.

Also, someone did bring up Korean rock, which is a good point because that's what I've always wondered (in a facetious way since it's basically obvious) is why not the rock?  Korea has some awesome rock bands. But oops, they don't wear a bunch of makeup and look plastic and basically the same. I.e. they mostly look like normal people and wear normal clothes.

But, like another person said, the blogspots. Korean rock is not easy to find in many cases. And if you aren't willing to search for different music, it ain't gon come to you.

Edited by evilcoconut
formatting omg

So I've been frequenting a room on turntable.fm where a ton of KPOP is played everyday, and all I have to say is - anyone that listens to kpop and hates American mainstream pop/r&b/hip hop is a hypocritical cunt!

So I've been frequenting a room on turntable.fm where a ton of KPOP is played everyday, and all I have to say is - anyone that listens to kpop and hates American mainstream pop/r&b/hip hop is a hypocritical cunt!

My same thought. :D

Yep.

or they need to just admit the only reason they like it is the "pretty azns"