Sign in to follow this  
ficsci

a tribute to short people in rock bands

I know this is kind of a lol thread (if mods find it inappropriate here, I don't mind if you move it to another forum).

I've realized lately that people in rock bands who are of under-average height tend to be either the drummer or the vocalist (with a HUGE voice btw). And when I say under average, I mean, for men it's approximately 165cm height or below (or sometimes, they just happen to be the shortest in the band). For women, I shall discuss it below.

Not trying to encourage prejudice & bad stereotypes, but I think it's not uncommon in the world that we run into short people who are especially ambitious, because they want to prove to the world that they can be great even though they are of below average size. Some short men go into body building to be bigger. The former president of the Philippines was a very very short woman. Er, anyways, I think being the member who makes the biggest noise in the band might also be another one of the positive ways in which shorter people prove themselves of what they are capable of :D

Here is a list of small-ish musicians I can think of right on the spot

Dir en Grey - Kyo (vo) .... duh

La'cryma Christi - Levin (dr)

Kagrra, - Izumi (dr)

Moran - Soan (dr)

Eat You Alive - Hiro (vo)

NoGod - Danchou (vo)

And I'm not sure if this is fair to say because women still tends to be a minority in rock bands (and most often they are vocalists), and naturally, they tend to be shorter than men. But perhaps we can also list some women who strike one as sharing the characteristic of being "the short member who makes the loudest noise"

ex-cocklobin - Kiri (dr)

Light Bringer - Fuki (vo)

Let's add to the list ^^ (not just limited to jrock).

Also, feel free to challenge my theory that the shortest people tend to be the vocalist or drummer, lol.

Kon (La'Mule/NightingeiL) is the shortest bandguy I've ever seen. And at the same time one of the most charismatic.

I knew he wasn't that tall before, but when I saw him on stage for the first time after being a huge fan since forever I was amazed how such a tiny body could carry his huge personality. (and his huge head.)

He is around 150-155 I think. It made me love him even more.

That guy from Kra is really tiny too right..?

Really, really tiny. It's funny to see him stand beside the quite tall Miyavi in the PS carnival 2005 DVD.

Also Ruki, the Nightmare singer and Miku I think are really short too.

xDDD i lol'd. you are right though xD. i think it seems like the vocalists are always shorter!!! and the drummers wtf. i don't mean too short but always the shorter members.

maybe this is why i was amused and didn't know why with kouki from d=out and natsuki from oz being so tall. because they are the exceptions.

not sure for this but i think the bassists are tall most of the times xD

also look awoi and mejibray , merry

and fi'ance ! about vocalist and drummer and bassist !!!

mao from sadie

toshiya from deg

(i find this amusing for some reason xD)

EDIT !!: sorry i read the subject again and i think i missed the point xD. but i just find often bands with short vocalist and drummers and tall bassists

Well, Yomi (vocalist of Nightmare) is short....and also Ruki from the GazettE! They're like 5'1/5'2 I think...

Hitsugi is pretty small too! I think he's around 5,3

but i just find often bands with short vocalist and drummers and tall bassists

teehee, I'm not sure if that would apply to this band

um, isn't it easier to spot tall vocalists? XD

cause there are too many bandmen who's height doesn't reach 165

Ruiza, gt, D ~163 cm

Hikaru, gt, D=out ~162 cm

Ban, dr, lolita23q ~157 cm

Yuuki, vo, Lycaon ~160 cm

Satoshi, gt, Lycaon ~162 cm

Ikuma, vo, AND ~ 164 cm

Rame, ba, Vidoll ~163 cm

Takeru, vo, SuG ~162 cm

Shinpei, dr, SuG ~158 cm

Otoha, gt, Called=plan ~160

Katsura, dr, Baiser ~158

Rookie, violin, A (Ace) ~164

Mao, vo, Sadie ~160 cm

Takumi, gt, v[neu] ~163

Subaru, vo, Royz ~163

Ryuto, gt, ClearVeil ~164 cm

Matoi, dr, Phantasmagoria ~162

I guess, I know more but I need some confirmation.

and you never mentioned Hyde ^^

Guest Magatsu

Hibiki & Maya from CQ ca. 160cm (Vo & Dr)

Niihara from Loudness kinda 165? (Vo)

Daisuke from Sound bee 160~165? (Vo)

But in Japan it's a totally normal hight man. between 150 and 170 ^^"

But in Japan it's a totally normal hight man. between 150 and 170 ^^"

But I'm 152cm and when I was there almost all the guys on the street are clearly taller than me even when I wore heels, at least 165cm and over. (The girls, however, are a different story, they were SMALL o_o). 170cm is average, but 150cm still definitely count as short even on Asian terms.

Guest Magatsu

~150cm= short

160= normal

170+ is long

over here it's

~160= short

170+ normal

190+ long

beside that, most dudes here are kinda 180.

But 160 for an asian guy. it's normal ^^"

I'm 100% sure that you can list up at least 1 member of each band who are below 170.

yup, Haru (vo) from DOG is 158 cm and has a "huge" voice and quite a personality. yet after a while when Kanna (dr) joined the band, Haru seemed to kinda have "calmed down" (Kanna is around 5 cm shorter than Haru, he's really petite).

Yet it's somehow the general psychology thing, men need to feel "strong and dominating" and sometimes they feel "weak and dominated" when they're the shortest in the crowd, so they try to replace the feeling of domination their height would normally give them. Same goes for short girls which I don't really understand (I don't like being tall, especially when I'm around asian men I'm always taller than most of them and I'm just around 167).

(I hope everyone understands that I'm not trying to be anyhow sexist (in a "know your place" kinda way), I'm just talking about the deep natural instincts and male and female in their natural "roles".)

yup, Haru (vo) from DOG is 158 cm and has a "huge" voice and quite a personality. yet after a while when Kanna (dr) joined the band, Haru seemed to kinda have "calmed down" (Kanna is around 5 cm shorter than Haru, he's really petite).

Yet it's somehow the general psychology thing, men need to feel "strong and dominating" and sometimes they feel "weak and dominated" when they're the shortest in the crowd, so they try to replace the feeling of domination their height would normally give them. Same goes for short girls which I don't really understand (I don't like being tall, especially when I'm around asian men I'm always taller than most of them and I'm just around 167).

(I hope everyone understands that I'm not trying to be anyhow sexist (in a "know your place" kinda way), I'm just talking about the deep natural instincts and male and female in their natural "roles".)

(i don't know about haru but generally)

hey i agree because

about the natural instincts

i have seen guys that although shorter and so cute ,

they give off this power and intensity and strong attitude

and although cute , they seem more manly

and way more attactive than a tall "weak" guy

i am saying this for many shorter singers i have seen in lives xD

in society standards

i don't think if you are a girl you have so much problem

it's cute until 150 cm and you can always wear heels

for guys it looks bad if you are under 160 cm ,unless you are a girly jrocker

Kon (La'Mule/NightingeiL) is the shortest bandguy I've ever seen. And at the same time one of the most charismatic.

I knew he wasn't that tall before, but when I saw him on stage for the first time after being a huge fan since forever I was amazed how such a tiny body could carry his huge personality. (and his huge head.)

He is around 150-155 I think. It made me love him even more.

Wow

This post just made my day LOL after all this time I would've never thought he'd be so tiny

Sign in to follow this