Guest Magatsu

Custom taxes

So you bought 10cds.

According to cdjapan 1 cd weights 188gr.

So 10 cds in total are 1880gr.

Lets count for USA for example (btw where do you live?). Shipping 10 cds in one package by reg air mail costs 3420 yen (to USA).

Lets separate cds into packages with 3cds in each (but each package must cost less than 60$, i think that's possible), so thats 564gr and 1560 yen by reg air mail each (3 packs, 3 cds each). And last cd ships alone for 1160 yen ( but shipping 1 cd alone is unprofitable).

Total shipping price: 1560*3 + 1160 = 5840 yen.

You'll overpay 2420 yen for delivery, but thats less than tax.

But if your orders are less, than 5000yen you are not receiving extra bonus points.

Hope i didn't make mistake while counting.

What do you think?

Shipping is for Canada. Details was:

- Subtotal: 24937 yens

- Shipping 3590 yen and Registered Air Mail Fee: 410 yen (so the shipping is 4000)

- Redeem Points: 3246 yen (i love these points, i wish i had infinite of these lol)

- Final order total: 25691 yen

I wish i didn't live as far from Japan -_-' Canada is so far, especially the Quebec; the shipping is very high due to this reason.

And i have an order for August with many items (i even had to use ems for this one due to the number of items). Currently this is:

- Subtotal: 37350 yen

- Shipping 8800 yen (so expensive for shipping)

- Final order total: 46150 yen

omg, i'm sure i'm going to have about 100$ of customs taxes with this order.

At first, it was 4 seperate order Registered Air Mail (all was over 60$) so i combine them in one single ems order and i was saving a lot on money with this. But that doesn't count the customs taxes. I thought;; ""if i have 4 orders of over 60$, it's going to cost around 55$ X 4.. but if i put one big order, it's going to cost 1 time 100$"". Of course i will be able to afford this, otherwise i would not have ordered, but i just don't like to pay 8800yen for shipping + 100$ of taxes. To me, taxes are in a way, a part of the shipping, and it's like paying 200$ of shipping in this case instead of 100$. Maybe i should try to separate my order in different orders under 60$ of value and to use Registered Air Mail as usual. It would cost more on shipping, but ot would be also free of taxes. It's very difficult to choose the best option, i hate those customs XD

i decided sometime early 2013 to change completely from cdjapan to a shopping service, because i had the same problems. Now i never have any custom taxes, whatever the order is.

But tbh i never really calculated that much if its really cheaper, i just dont want to pay custom taxes again. Fromjapan has really low fees though, so i doubt its more expensive now.

i decided sometime early 2013 to change completely from cdjapan to a shopping service, because i had the same problems. Now i never have any custom taxes, whatever the order is.

But tbh i never really calculated that much if its really cheaper, i just dont want to pay custom taxes again. Fromjapan has really low fees though, so i doubt its more expensive now.

lol same here.

But the real reason is not that I want to save money (Never calculated if it'd be cheaper to pay custom taxes instead of shopping service fee), just that I don't want to waste my time picking up parcels at the customs office where everyone is an asshole.

lol same here.

But the real reason is not that I want to save money (Never calculated if it'd be cheaper to pay custom taxes instead of shopping service fee), just that I don't want to waste my time picking up parcels at the customs office where everyone is an asshole.

Yea i guess thats the main reason for me too.

cd japan packages were sent (almost) always to some customs office one hour away from ne and i just couldnt stand going there all the time (and yes they are assholes here too).

@ champ. well i had custom taxes with fj before, but really rarely. normally its enough to change the item values for me.  but yea i had the occassionally 5-7€

Well, I guess I just have bad luck then. XD The only time I didn't have to pay any taxes when ordering something from Japan in recent months was an order from Adumaya, and I assumed that was because I used SAL instead of EMS. When using EMS I never did NOT have to pay. I already consider myself lucky when I get it delivered to my door and can pay there, instead of having to collect it from the ass of the city, lol.

I'm actually considering to stop using EMS, since the packages get stuck in costums for 4-5 days it's barely faster anyway. But some places like Closetchild only offer EMS.

- Shipping 3590 yen and Registered Air Mail Fee: 410 yen (so the shipping is 4000)

- Redeem Points: 3246 yen (i love these points, i wish i had infinite of these lol)

I wish i didn't live as far from Japan -_-' Canada is so far, especially the Quebec; the shipping is very high due to this reason.

And i have an order for August with many items (i even had to use ems for this one due to the number of items). Currently this is:

At first, it was 4 seperate order Registered Air Mail (all was over 60$) so i combine them in one single ems order and i was saving a lot on money with this. But that doesn't count the customs taxes. I thought;; ""if i have 4 orders of over 60$, it's going to cost around 55$ X 4.. but if i put one big order, it's going to cost 1 time 100$"". Of course i will be able to afford this, otherwise i would not have ordered, but i just don't like to pay 8800yen for shipping + 100$ of taxes. To me, taxes are in a way, a part of the shipping, and it's like paying 200$ of shipping in this case instead of 100$. Maybe i should try to separate my order in different orders under 60$ of value and to use Registered Air Mail as usual. It would cost more on shipping, but ot would be also free of taxes. It's very difficult to choose the best option, i hate those customs XD

Do you live in Quebec? it must be quebec that is weird as I can ems 10+ items without paying extra but I live in B.C.

Do you live in Quebec? it must be quebec that is weird as I can ems 10+ items without paying extra but I live in B.C.

CDJapan actually fails to declare your order as a gift. I always have the gift-option on on there, but for some reason they just don't include it on the packaging order. Here in the Netherlands it's supposedly up to 40€ or 45€ when you declare something as a gift, but I've had items that were between 24€ and 40€ and I still got charged custom taxes that were almost always about the same price as the actual items were. 

Recently I've just started purchasing through them in a manner that is still more expensive than avoiding taxes alltogether (which isn't possible anymore anyway), but at least less expensive than getting charged for taxes all the time. When I order, let's say, four CDs, I just let them pack them in two shipments so it's only about 700¥ or 900¥ shipping costs each time. That's better than getting smacked in the face with +20€. It's also idiotic here in the Netherlands that the post service forces you to pay each and every coin, in impossible charges (like 27,13 or something, we don't even have one or two cents anymore), and they don't have portable ATM-machines (which exist, and they're able to purchase them). The delivery men also always tell you they don't have any change (which they have, they're just lazy fucks who also 'forget' to ring your doorbell and then just say you weren't home), so I usually pay them even a few euros more than is actually necessary because I don't carry small cash on me. 

They're just always finding for a way to try and rob you off your money, no matter what.

It must be because you arent in a major city brah. When I ship to Montreal it has never been over 20-30 dollars overnight express with Fedex. Both home delivery and to the business sector are equally inexpensive, sorry to hear you gotta pay so much.

To the person not having their packages marked as gifts, I recommend complaining to CDJapan as that shouldnt happen if your order is under the value limit. Tell them you are going to make your purchases elsewhere if they cannot amend the issue as other businesses are providing the services they are not in your case. Unless they have specific issues with your country's authorities, then they should fix it and/or put credit into your account. Technically it is illegal in many countries, but it is a service they offer anyway and other people are getting the benefit from.

It must be because you arent in a major city brah. When I ship to Montreal it has never been over 20-30 dollars overnight express with Fedex. Both home delivery and to the business sector are equally inexpensive, sorry to hear you gotta pay so much.

To the person not having their packages marked as gifts, I recommend complaining to CDJapan as that shouldnt happen if your order is under the value limit. Tell them you are going to make your purchases elsewhere if they cannot amend the issue as other businesses are providing the services they are not in your case. Unless they have specific issues with your country's authorities, then they should fix it and/or put credit into your account. Technically it is illegal in many countries, but it is a service they offer anyway and other people are getting the benefit from.

Dont you pay extra handling/custom fees when you use FedEx overnight delivery thing? I tried it twice, the first one just to test it and I got hit with some fee like $20. Then I tried again just incase that fee thing was a fluke since ems never does it but it wasnt and I got shit from my dad since he was the only home and he got to pay the $40 fee. It wasnt even for him so he was extra bitter lol.

The fedex makes it seem cheaper on checkout but the extra fee upon delivery can be 20-30 dollars higher than using straight up ems.

Dont you pay extra handling/custom fees when you use FedEx overnight delivery thing? I tried it twice, the first one just to test it and I got hit with some fee like $20. Then I tried again just incase that fee thing was a fluke since ems never does it but it wasnt and I got shit from my dad since he was the only home and he got to pay the $40 fee. It wasnt even for him so he was extra bitter lol.

The fedex makes it seem cheaper on checkout but the extra fee upon delivery can be 20-30 dollars higher than using straight up ems.

Custom fee for anything over 60 dollars. No extra handling charges as that is supposed to be factored into FedEx's charge, any increase upon delivery would be contestable as it is deceptive to customers unless the package is actually needs special treatment not specified by the shipper.

I split my orders to be under 60, usually an album and two singles, if need be use my points to lower the total cost. Cheaper to buy them like that as two shipping charges are cheaper than a shipping charge and customs for one package.

Custom fee for anything over 60 dollars. No extra handling charges as that is supposed to be factored into FedEx's charge, any increase upon delivery would be contestable as it is deceptive to customers unless the package is actually needs special treatment not specified by the shipper.

I split my orders to be under 60, usually an album and two singles, if need be use my points to lower the total cost. Cheaper to buy them like that as two shipping charges are cheaper than a shipping charge and customs for one package.

Interesting, I have not seen where that is said so. Did you read the fine print or something?

So is the $60 including or not including the shipping cost? 

Interesting, I have not seen where that is said so. Did you read the fine print or something?

So is the $60 including or not including the shipping cost?

Not including shipping, it just applies to the declared cost of the items.

From my experience I have a lot of knowledge of shipping and customs. Also have direct cell phone numbers of people at FedEx and other carriers as well as Customs personnel. If anything is up I can call them for info or to work something out. But for people that dont have this luxury I definitely advise to look into shipping in 50-55 dollar values and calling FedEx if they ever charge you (Call number, say English, then say customs or billing, then say operator) they will either explain how to work it out or email you the forms to file for a contest of charges. On the form state you are receiving a gift valued at under 60 dollars of goods that are not available through any domestic retailer.

If you are charged for extra handling state your parcel was packaged in a small standard cardboard box that requires no extra handling, and definitely does not exceed any weight or dimension limits, and falls under a common HS Tariff Number. There should be no issue.