Sign in to follow this  
Karma’s Hat

The Industrial Thread

First, I'll have to define that counts as industrial music in this thread.

Wikipedia

Industrial music is a style of experimental music that draws on transgressive and provocative themes. The term was coined in the mid-1970s with the founding of Industrial Records by the band Throbbing Gristle, and the creation of the slogan "industrial music for industrial people". In general, the style is harsh and challenging. Allmusic defines industrial as the "most abrasive and aggressive fusion of rock and electronic music"; "initially a blend of avant-garde electronics experiments (tape music, musique concrète, white noise, synthesizers, sequencers, etc.) and punk provocation".

The birth of industrial music was a response to "an age [in which] the access and control of information were becoming the primary tools of power." At its birth, the genre of industrial music was different from any other music, and its use of technology and disturbing lyrics and themes to tear apart preconceptions about the necessary rules of musical form supports the suggestion that industrial music is modernist music. The artists themselves made these goals explicit, even drawing connections to social changes they wished to argue for through their music. The Industrial Records website explains that the musicians wanted to re-invent rock music, and that their uncensored records were about their relationship with the world. They go on to say that they wanted their music to be an awakening for listeners so that they would begin to think for themselves and question the world around them. Industrial Records intended the term industrial to evoke the idea of music created for a new generation, with previous music being more agricultural: Genesis P-Orridge stated that "there's an irony in the word 'industrial' because there's the music industry. And then there's the joke we often used to make in interviews about churning out our records like motorcars —that sense of industrial. And ... up till then the music had been kind of based on the blues and slavery, and we thought it was time to update it to at least Victorian times—you know, the Industrial Revolution".

The reason why I linked that here is that the term "Industrial" has been sodomized to the point where nobody is even sure what counts as industrial. These days every shitty pop song covered with bleeps, bloops and goth attire gets slapped with the term. So I'll start this topic by saying that all discussion about nu-metal, pop music, Rammstein, NIN, goth-ebm and other "evil" techno is strictly forbidden. However, discussion about other even remotely Industrial-scene related stuff is encouraged. For example, Neo-folk, Noise, Fluxus, Dada, Post-Punk, Notable people in the scene like Boyd Rice and the ideology.

I'll have to assume not many people here are familiar with the scene, so here's some recommendations.

I advise people to throw their conceptions of "music" out of the window before trying this stuff. No commercial jingles ahead

Einstürzende Neubauten

Armenia

Halber Mensch

This band got me into the genre. The album Zeichnungen des Patienten O. T. blew my mind the first time I listened to it and there's still nothing like ( that I'm at least aware of ) so I figure they would be a great gateway band. Their early stuff like this is disturbing, powerful and calling them "experimental" is an understatement. Later on their style changed to a more approachable direction, so naturally I skipped that stuff entirely, but everything up to and Halber Mensch is definitely worth a shot.

Swans

I Crawled ( Best song ever srsly!)

Best band ever. Let the music be a testament for their greatness. I recommend starting out with The Great Annihilator, then moving on to While Light From The Mouth Of Infinity and then everything else

Current 93

The ritual nature of the early Current 93 releases is amazing. The ruthless mood coupled with the ramblings of David Tibet make an unique combination which is something to be heard. I've seldom been so overwhelmed by sound and immersed in the mood, as I have been with the early Current 93. Later Tibet moved into Neo-Folk, but I enjoy it a lot too and consider the earliest stuff of that era fairly essential too.

Nurse With Wound

Probably my favorite one-man project of all time. Nurse With Wound definitely takes time to get used to and to appreciate if one is not familiar with this stuff. Surreal is the best word to describe this, and the music reminds me of a audio journey or a short movie, if you will. A bazillion discs of music have been released under the Nurse With Wound name and I have yet stumbled onto nothing less than solid. My favorites are Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella, Homotopy to Marie and An Awkward Pause. The variety of his works is without a match, so if you don't like something, just try something else. Still beyond everything else forever.

Throbbing Gristle

The Old Man Smiled

The grandfather of industrial music. Much more subtle than the bands that followed, yet effective nonetheless. The variety of their works is massive, and thus their discography I recommend going through chronologically.

SPK

Occasionally noisy industrial group which was one of the first of the kind that I got into. I haven't been listening to their stuff too much recently, but the album "Auto Da Fe" never gets old.

If anyone even remotely enjoys this stuff or is at least curious, I'm happy to link more of what I consider to be essential projects of the genre. The amount of variation is huge, so don't throw away hope.

Note that I didn't link the "best" or really the most representative songs from the bands, just some that I could come up with quickly. All of these bands have experimented with vastly different styles and sounds so having the best links possible is quite hard. Just feel free check out more :P

Awesome topic! I can sympathize with you, I'm really irritated by common modern-metal/rock with electronic stuff in it labeled as "industrial", lol. xD Interesting bands you linked there - I've mostly just heard their names till now, but not their music. Nice stuff, will be checking some of them out in more detail later. :)

When it comes to industrial for me these are pretty flawless:

KUxoughdYto

G-fYAJCNEpE

...do Laibach count?

XJ4A2MflNL8

Thanks for bringing up Test Dept. because I always forget to try them :D I have downloaded their stuff some months back, but always forget to actually play it. Yet last night when I was making this topic I stumbled upon them on YouTube and still liked what I heard, so maybe tonight's the night.

I'd say Laibach still counts :D

Haters gonna hate on my industrial-less Einstürzende Neubauten :)

+

I would have brought Test Dept. up too, good shit (thx Senedjem again)

Fun question: does vk scene have any sort of "industrial band" ?(industrial, not industrock,industmetal etc.), since we have at least one noise act here... :shock:

Whoa, whoa. Ebm and VK already mentioned? It's obviously time to PARTY WITH WHITEHOUSE

ZsmKSWr99mA&feature=related

A pioneering Power-Electronics band from the UK, notorious for the uncompromising style and the line-up which has included people like Peter Sotos, John Murphy and Kevin Tomkins. Started out as straight forward fuzz, but later moved on to using more percussion and diverse sounds. Just like most of the Noise groups that stayed active throughout the years they have released a lot of albums, yet stayed quite consistent in quality. The new albums are much easier to get into, especially the last two, Asceticists and Racket, but I advise starting with the Bird Seed album.

Guru

Death In June

Nation

Initially a Post-Punk band that moved into the Neo-Folk territory while keeping some Industrial flavor around for a few albums, most noticeably Nada! and The World That Summer. The atmosphere that the songs evoke is something to behold and makes up for the occasional simplicity which is a problem with most Neo-Folk anyway. I'm not sure if I love this band so much these days more because of the nostalgia or of the quality of the music itself. I'll settle on both.

I'd also listen to this one chronologically up until Rose Clouds of Holocaust.

I began listening to Einstürzende Neubauten. Thanks for the recommendation, Disposable, they're wonderful! Began listening to the albums in chronological order, now I'm on the one you mentioned (with the long German title, lol) - it's like the stuff of nightmares, I'm absolutely enjoying it! :D

Looked around a bit on youtube, this is pretty epic too:

5BQcLBcZgm0

Also listened to more Laibach these days than I usually do. xD Their '80s stuff is still superb!

SEAGULLS

Nice to see that the best song ever is appreciated!

I began listening to Einstürzende Neubauten. Thanks for the recommendation, Disposable, they're wonderful! Began listening to the albums in chronological order, now I'm on the one you mentioned (with the long German title, lol) - it's like the stuff of nightmares, I'm absolutely enjoying it! :D

Great to see that people actually took the time to check out some of this stuff. So Thanks you too!

Anyways since a new Swans live album is out, I'll link some more songs from them

3VziZIabS7o

Their older material which I have yet to link here. Best way to describe it? Relentless, brutal and works great for self hating meditation sessions.

Swans is the THE ultimate live band and one of the only instances where I think the live albums are a must have. The version played here is different and much extended from the original studio version. The way the song builds up is just magnificent

The first song from the 2010 album "My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky". Can't think of a another band that pulled off a revival so well.

From the While Light From The Mouth Of Infinity album. Honestly, I hate giving marketing speeches because I am no good at them :D Just listen to the band!

Does Celldweller count?

Celldweller is more of an electronic/industrial metal act (which is based on industrial dance music, not industrial - two different genres), so I don't think that counts :o...

Sign in to follow this