Sign in to follow this  
Champ213

Discussion of the Week #5 (2011/12/11)

:staru: The Discussion of the Week! :staru:

How it works:

- Each sunday a staff member will start a thread with a new music-related question. They can range from broad to specific, but they are usually more in-depth than just asking for your favourite band.

- The discussion will be featured as announcement on the front page to get as many people involved as possible.

- People should put some effort into their posts, ie. not just write a few words and leave, or quote a sentence from a previous poster without adding anything to it. At least 2-3 well-worded sentences are not too much to ask.

- Other than that it's just like a normal discussion: you can discuss posts made by other users, but try to stay on topic and, of course, be civil.

The thread will stay open even after the week has passed, so the discussion can continue, but it will be replaced in the announcement center by the next featured question.

(Btw: you can also submit questions for the Discussion of the Week by sending them to any staff member.)

Got it? So here's the new question:

How far would you go in hating/disliking a band because of its fans? Can the fandom of a particular band or genre turn you off from liking them or influence your listening habits?

Annoying fans can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but overall the fandom itself never influenced or changed my listening habits in any way. If I like a particular band's music that's the only thing that matters for me. Then again, I'm not really actively in touch with any fanbase.

I listen to kpop, so no fans don't sway my opinion of groups/bands. The fans for kpop are horrible, beyond horrible. So overall, as long as the music sounds good, to me, I don't care for bad, annoying fans. They can be amusing at times though.

How far would you go in hating/disliking a band because of its fans? Can the fandom of a particular band or genre turn you off from liking them or influence your listening habits?

I'll be honest and say that fans do influence whether or not I start listening to a band but fans never stop me from liking or disliking a band. Genres are a different story. I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike. Fans influence what I like and what I don't like because fans of a certain genre/band end up having a certain "taste" for certain kinds of artists and if I know that my tastes don't line up with their tastes, I won't be too quick to pick up their suggestions and try out a new artist. The reverse also holds true - if there are fans of certain fandoms or genres that recommend me something and I know that I like a lot of what they like, I usually take those recommendations and go with them sooner.

A long time ago, I used to avoid listening to certain bands because I didn't want to be judged based on what I listened to. I used to be in a bad group of people that would take an artist that you liked that they did not and use that as the basis for why they are right and you are wrong. After a few rounds of that I just stopped trying out new artists that they didn't like so my taste didn't seem "inferior". I also tried to avoid seeming like a "weeaboo" because no one takes them seriously in almost any circle - visual kei included. I'm older now and I've grown out of that phase and now since I listen to what I want independent of what other people think of it that doesn't bother me too much. Of course, it's always going to sting when someone says "ha, you like X band? Wow you have shitty music taste!" but then those are the kinds of people that end up disappearing one way or another so I pay them no mind. :)

Fans also influence whether or not I'll like or dislike a certain scene because I like musical discussion and there are fans of certain genres that make that near impossible. I don't like being in scenes where people don't promote freedom of opinion because they don't know the textbook definition of trolling. I don't like being in scenes where people are quick to judge you based on what you like and what you don't. I also don't like being in scenes where the average discussion is at a very low level and no one says anything of worth. I do like being in scenes where people actively share opinions and at the very least "agree to disagree", no matter how small the scene is. I like it when people don't extrapolate extraneous information to prove a point that's a matter of opinion. I like it when people can form complete thoughts and don't rely on emoticons and remarks on the band members of the music over what he or she looks like. As idealistic as that sounds, I've found a few scenes with fans that exercise what I do like to varying degrees so those are usually the places I try to break into more now.

Also as I get older I might begin to notice things in a genre or scene that come from the fans that I don't like. Since I immerse myself in a lot of discussion if there are trends in the fandom that I don't like it does repel me from the scene. I'm somewhat known for being a major turncoat and not liking visual kei anymore so I'll use that as an example I don't have to explain too well (if I do I'll butcher it like I do most other things).

So there's my answer for the week!

I rarely hating/despising a band or artist because of their fans.

I only did when i have personal problems with them.

Like when i come to attend a live show where an artist that known to have

"bad fandom" in the scene, and someone actually did annoyed me,

either by actions or words, towards me or stuffs, then i'll spit it out.

But that doesn't affect my adoration to the band.

Since i came for the band and for the music, that's all.

Should one not liking a band or an artist that are potential

and actually brings out nothing but quality

just because they have some bratty fans?

I don't think so.

That way of thinking just as shallow as the bad fandom that we make fun of/laughed at.

Being someone who were in a fandom during my teenage years, i understood how it is.

So i usually more into live and let live attitude right now.

Let them have their fun. And i deal with my own business.

No, I probably wouldn't listen to Visual Kei if I allowed obnoxious fans to drive me away. Every music genre, any fandom or pretty much any situation will have its cray crays and drama queens. Don't let those people get to you, if you let them bother you in something minor like a music fandom then you'll never be able to handle them in any other situation, especially real life. They can be easily ignored, especially via the Internet but most importantly can also be easily trolled. :lol:

Yeah I only care about the music. So fans don't affect me. I'll listen to what I like and won't listen to what I don't. It's as simple as that. Though its always nice when you have open minded and reasonable fans of a certain band or genre to connect with and discuss their music.

Usually I don't even listen to bands that have fans that I find annoying. Tastes in music bring people together and all that. Sure every now and then you run into the 17-year old girl who has a tumblr full of corpses or the misguided white supremacist, but who cares really.

Dir en grey fans are definitely the worst though. Their shoutbox in last.fm tells everything you need to know. Who would have thought the band would also gain such an elitist ( Ironic since we are speaking about Deg after all ) fan base who shun on VK the same way a weaboo would shun on non-vk ( AKA. Americanized :lol: ) so in the end, they are closet inverted weaboos. If some band gets labeled progressive, experimental, avant-garde or whatever, it attracts people who think they seem really ELIT3 when they like all this music that's just out there, random ( being the keyword here ) and most definitely 2deep4u. Cynic, Opeth, Necrophagist, Tool, Meshuggah and so on.

It's not like I can't listen to them, but annoying fans definitely make me less happy about listening to the band. I guess I don't want to be counted into that craziness. If I like a band I listen to them no matter what the fanbase is like, but when I like a band I also want to meet others that do. And when those others are only crazy fangirls, it's not just as fun. I'll continue listening to them, but I somehow always get more passionate about a band when I have someone (decent) to talk about them with.

Along with an annoying fanbase, I would say that yes, my interest drops. But if I really like the music I won't stop listening to it just because of that.

Also, I don't hate on a band for their fans. If their fans are annoying and I feel like I have to hate on something, I hate on the fans.

not exactly, is kind of my answer to this. if i find something without knowing anything about the fans, it has no influence on me if i later discover that they're stupid. however, if there are fans that are particularly obnoxious or retarded, it would probably steer me away from bothering with the music in the first place. but it sort of depends on the level of obnoxious as well. i like a couple of JE "artists" and i knew going in that the fans were, uh, a little cray cray, and they are, but in more of a lol smh kinda way. on the other hand, kpop fans are, as a whole, fucking obnoxious, and if i didn't already know that i didn't like it, i'd stay clear just because of the retarded fans.

so yeah, kinda/sorta/depends/not always

not exactly, is kind of my answer to this. if i find something without knowing anything about the fans, it has no influence on me if i later discover that they're stupid. however, if there are fans that are particularly obnoxious or retarded, it would probably steer me away from bothering with the music in the first place. but it sort of depends on the level of obnoxious as well. i like a couple of JE "artists" and i knew going in that the fans were, uh, a little cray cray, and they are, but in more of a lol smh kinda way. on the other hand, kpop fans are, as a whole, fucking obnoxious, and if i didn't already know that i didn't like it, i'd stay clear just because of the retarded fans.

so yeah, kinda/sorta/depends/not always

yea kpop fans are fucking obnoxious. But I would have argue JE fans are the absolute worst bar none. I'm going off of Japanese/foreigners who live in Japan, not internet based. But dear lord... And I agree with you about maybe avoiding a group a bit if you see stupid fans, but a bad fanbase will not make me stop listening to music that I like.

i like a couple of JE "artists" and i knew going in that the fans were, uh, a little cray cray, and they are, but in more of a lol smh kinda way. on the other hand, kpop fans are, as a whole, fucking obnoxious, and if i didn't already know that i didn't like it, i'd stay clear just because of the retarded fans.

+1

And actually I've never found any cray cray JE fangirls unless I've been actively looking for them. The kpop fans are so much worse, you can't go anywhere without noticing them.

i like a couple of JE "artists" and i knew going in that the fans were, uh, a little cray cray, and they are, but in more of a lol smh kinda way. on the other hand, kpop fans are, as a whole, fucking obnoxious, and if i didn't already know that i didn't like it, i'd stay clear just because of the retarded fans.

+1

And actually I've never found any cray cray JE fangirls unless I've been actively looking for them. The kpop fans are so much worse, you can't go anywhere without noticing them.

that last part, yes so much. that's the difference. i never ran into many JE fans before I ended up liking a group/singer, but the kpop fans are everywhere blabbing about how great kpop is and other obnoxious shit. i never saw that from JE fans, and still don't, tbh. they're more like, idk, stupidly obsessed with pairings and crap like that. besides, kpop fans' default setting is butthurt, they're always butthurt about something.

I agree that obnoxious fans is what kind of makes me down play or just outright not admit that I like Visual Kei. Especially because anime is more popular than Visual Kei/Jayrawk, argue about it all you want how many VK cons do you see in the US but animecons with VK piggybacking off of them? So it's really, the obnoxious anime fans that make me want to hide my interest because when someone sees that Japanese boy with black lip stick slapped across his face and nappy purple spiked hair, people think OH IT'S ANIME MUSIC! Then I feel like I'm being associated with the chubby zit faced Otaku with cat ears on, stupid arm warmers, a furry tail and chomping down on pokey saying I'M GONNA BE A MANGA ARTIST DESU. D:

Annoying fans are annoying but I mainly listen to what I like regardless. However what I like has very few fans to begin with >_>

I mainly listen to obscure indies VK that not many people would give the time of day.

there was a time when i defend my favorite band i received annoying headaching pms. they will try to prove to you that their taste is better than yours. they will call you annoying terms like posers, weeboo, etc. it provoked me to not to read the comments below the video but it didn't stop me from watching it unless its justin beaver.

The only band I genuinely hated because of the fans is Dir en grey. For as long as I've been into J-Rock, the people always starting wank and being pompous jerks were the Dir en grey fans and for a short time I subconsciously conditioned myself to only hear farts and craps whenever their music came on. Now I don't hate them as much and I've actually started to rediscover them in a better light. Time heals everything, etc.

Oh, and this is beautifully stated:

Who would have thought the band would also gain such an elitist ( Ironic since we are speaking about Deg after all ) fan base who shun on VK the same way a weaboo would shun on non-vk ( AKA. Americanized :lol: ) so in the end, they are closet inverted weaboos. If some band gets labeled progressive, experimental, avant-garde or whatever, it attracts people who think they seem really ELIT3 when they like all this music that's just out there, random ( being the keyword here ) and most definitely 2deep4u. Cynic, Opeth, Necrophagist, Tool, Meshuggah and so on

Aside from that one exception, I consider myself to have a high tolerance for notoriously "bad" fandoms. I've been a Gackt fan and fan of various other visual kei bands for nearly seven years now and I also like Japanese indie music, which is followed by the largest league of cynical assholes in the world. However, most bands I like happen to have decent fandoms and I guess it is just because the bands themselves tend to attract those kinds of people or like in Yasuhiro's case, not enough people know about the band to really have a chance.

Good music is good music no matter what and the stupidity of others can't change that. Sometimes it helps to stay off the internet for a time and see a band as they are.

However, most bands I like happen to have decent fandoms and I guess it is just because the bands themselves tend to attract those kinds of people

this! i wanted to say this too. some bands appearance really asking for stupid audience !!!

ok i am going to be very honest even if i sound bad xD

i went from feeling:

"omg i wish other people listen the same music as me"

to

"omg you look and act so ridiculous!! GET AWAY FROM ME!! i am embarassed to be next to you" or

"don't even want you to listen to my fav band."

this from personal experience in meetings from some jrock fans and parties not so from internet. but still some from the internet too.

but this didn't make wanna stop listening to the music!!! just made me really wanna hide that i listen to this music. or hide the fans.

but for the internet i can understand 14 year old kids to act completely stupid. it's because they are kids!! everyone was like this when they were their age.

but deg and some nagoya kei bands fans are equally ridiculous as the oshare fans.are so arrogant and elitists and close minded that are equally annoying and ridiculous with oshare fans.and this time they are not kids. so no excuses here and i don't want to have anything to do with them.

but this again didn't make me stop listening just made me avoid the fans

maybe the fandom didn't make me stop listening but who is end up to be your top fav bands, things like these made a difference at some point

"How far would you go in hating/disliking a band because of its fans? Can the fandom of a particular band or genre turn you off from liking them or influence your listening habits?"

Fanbases don't make me hate bands or music but they really hurt the image of the musicians when they are bad. I had bad experiences with Versailles, Dir en Grey and plastic tree fans for example. And though it did not change my mind about the band's production itself it raised the question "do I want to belong to a group composed by this kind of individuals in the portion I experimented?". I still enjoy the work of those bands but I still don't want to be labeled as their fan since what I have experienced with such people does not feel like something I consider a part of myself.

Sign in to follow this