Sign in to follow this  
sai

CRUSH! 2 - 90's Best Hit Cover Songs

A short track by track review.

Megamasso - ROCKET DIVE

Great cover. It has energy, fun and everything a cover song from hide needs. I can imagine why they chose this to be the radio song. Megamasso totally made it their own, which they did amazingly well. 8.5/10

Annie's Black - Gokidendori ~crawler is crazy~

Never heard of them, and after listening this cover I most probably won't ever check them out. The cover is OK but nothing memorable or special. 6/10

Aoi from ayabie - MIZERABLE

Upon hearing this combination my reaction was like this:

8261%20-%20anger%20anger_management%20animated_gif%20god%20michael_scott%20no%20rage%20steve_carell%20subtitles%20the_office%20toby_flenderson%20yelling.gif

The preview didn't give me much hope either. But to be honest the whole thing isn't too bad. It's not as good as the original, but it's okay for an Aoi song. 7.5/10

v[NEU] - HOT LIMIT

BETTER THAN YOUR FAVOURITES. v[NEU] didn't do that much with this song and it's good they didn't. The original is flawless, so this is equally flawless. 9/10

Blu-BiLLioN - Miraikouro

Don't know these guys but this cover is really really nice! It gives a calm relaxing atmosphere. I'm hooked! 8/10

Hana Shounen Baddies - Kumonoito

I don't remember much of it, even listening it back it doesn't leave that much of an impression on me. Nothing special. 5.5/10

ZUCK - BEAT

Nice ballad, as I expected from them. Not as good as the Blu-BiLLioN song, but it certainly is nice enough for me to keep it on my iPod. 7.5/10

HERO - Yuuwaku

Nice upbeat song, the vocalist had trouble reaching the notes sometimes, but overall they did a good job. 7.5/10

-OZ- - Shiroiyami

The preview really ticked me off, but hearing the full version tells me I like it. A lot. Nice work, nice vocals, everything just fits. 8/10

Moran - ILLUMINATI

Moran did a rather good job on this song, but the one thing that made me lose interest was the vocalist. He couldn't reach half of the notes in the chorus and the way he sang was just awful sometimes. Won't be listening it too much. 7/10

R-Shitei - Yurameki

Not saying too much about this. NO. JUST NO. It's just like this vocalist TRIES to sound like Kyo but utterly fails. 4.5/10

amber gris - SHINE

What is this I don't even...come on, Lolita23Q pulled off a better LUNA SEA cover than this! This is just boring and sounds like they didn't put much effort into this.

ADAPTER - Flowers of Romance

:gaga::gaga: Auto-tune fest much? It's pretty lulzy to be honest, but I'm not taking it that seriously...for the funny auto-tune I'll give it a 7/10

9GOATS BLACK OUT - SPEED

This disappointed me so much...Ryo has great difficulties with the notes, seeing as this is not usually the way he sings. It just doesn't fit 9GBO and this is most definitely a song they should've let someone else cover. 5/10

GUILD - Glacial love

GUILD! My guilty pleasure! They did a great job making it their own, and they didn't disappoint in the least! 8/10

Chemical Pictures - Jam

Boring ballad is boring. No variation, just bland vocals that don't go anywhere. The instruments don't make it any better. 4.5/10

Overall: It was an okay cover album. The first half was definitely better than the second half, but I still prefer the first cover album. Your thoughts?

This is disappointing on so many levels, just like the 1st one.

The only redeeming versions are ADAPTER's and Moran. ADAPTER. couldn't go wrong choosing a CASCADE song. Love the verses. Probably the best version here. Moran did a great job, but my only gripe is that Hitomi/Sanaka/Kanoma is not as strong vocally as GACKT, but it's ok.

Megamasso, HERO, Chemical Pictures and Blu-BiLLioN are plain bad. JAM is an amazing song (the original, that is), but Tenten sings it like he's in a karaoke box. And he goes off key in the middle, fuck that. Way to destroy the song.

Blu-BiLLioN's arrangement is ok, love the main riff with the keyboard. But who is that vocalist and who said that he can sing?

Megamasso continues their utter suckage destroying one good 90's song after the other. The vocals seem to be pushed to the back of the mix, I dunno. The original is where it's at, ~again~.

HERO's arrangement is pretty close to the original, but Jin is horrendous as always. He's childish and not in a cute Sharaku/TAMA way.

The rest is very bland. Besides a couple of minor changes, they follow the original very closely. amber gris, 9GOATS, OZ, v[NEU], etc all play by the book and maybe too safe. Stick with the originals.

Rating: 03/10~

Fukusuke always warps his voice like that in pretty much all ADAPTER releases, so I don't think it's really surprising that he does the same thing now... Anyways, only tracks I cared about were the ADAPTER and 9goats ones and I don't really like the 9goats one and the ADAPTER one sounds basically like your average ADAPTER song :U

Didn't like it too much, I am disappointed. Though, there are 3-4 great songs in this compilation. My favourite ones R-shitei's Yurameki (Mamo <3), Moran's Illuminati and 9goats black out's Speed. -OZ-'s cover was nice but I expected it to be better. The other ones are bland/nothing that special... the ones I liked less were Blu Billion's (my ears were bleeding -_-) and ADAPTER's (too much autotune) covers.

Overall rating: 6/10 (I would have given a 5 if it wasn't for the 3/4 songs I mentioned to like...)

Had a long think about if I should even subject myself to this album at all, but I decided to do so since I've got fairly good coffee to go along for the ride. Writing as I'm listening and I'm skipping anything I'm not interested in.

Moran - Illuminati: :lol: They seem to have tried to do the same thing that D did last time, but with very little success. The cover D made was intensive as fuck and Asagi sounded great. This one has some fairly embarassing riffage, a flat production, your average visual-kei vocalist and everything just sounds really " okay lets just do this". There is no bite in anything.

R-shitei - Yurameki: The production is horrible on this album! Everything sounds so damn flat. R-shitei managed to take all the drive out of this song and is a chore to listen to. Still have to complain about the production, I mean my god. It really sounds this song only features vocals, guitars and random instruments here and there when they are allowed to be audible behind the guitar.

Amber Gris - SHINE: :x And we needed this cover because? Won't bother listening 'till the end.

9goats black out - Speed: What's this? Something with some drive. Also something happened to the sound compared to the previous songs ( I think :P ). Though this cover is again completely not needed as it did nothing too different from the original. At least Moran tried...

Not giving any final verdicts since I only listened to four songs and they were either pointless or not good at all. Too bad, since I was really exited for 9Goats Black Out.

I see not many people liked it as much as I did, that's okay, I just have a thing for covers lol.

I really enjoyed it, though. My favorite cover was easily Aoi's cover of Mizerable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the band Aoi and not Aoi from Ayabie?

9GBO's Speed cover is phenomenal.

That jet plane + phony audience intro was flawless. I'm disappointed they didn't experiment some more after that. But that's fine because they don't need to make it their own, they're just having a great fucking time playing this glorious song~

I see not many people liked it as much as I did, that's okay, I just have a thing for covers lol.

I really enjoyed it, though. My favorite cover was easily Aoi's cover of Mizerable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the band Aoi and not Aoi from Ayabie?

its aoi from ayabie. you can hear it from his voice. is there actually a band called aoi? i just know another singer called aoi making kind of gothic/middle age - esque visual kei.

^ i am pretty sure Aoi is a solo act, Ayabie former vocalist. Not a band.

My review, i quite enjoying this one that the first one.

But i have to quote Champ, that many bands that participated in this V.A

were becoming the band that they are covering than making the cover song theirs.

Which is a downside for this album.

Especially with 9GBO, i am extremely dissapointed.

Cos they usually sounded original.

I was actually wishing for them to make BUCK TICK classic into

something they usually did with their own songs.

The quirkiness and absurdity, you know what i mean.

dunno if it is their mistakes or they have been directed by the label that releasing this V.A to

make a market friendly track.

Opposite attraction to _OZ-, kinda nice to hear them done a mainstream sound for once LOL

I like it for the sake of it.

Song that i find quite successful than the rest are: Flowers of Romance.

I like how ADAPTER took this song into something fresh.

And it works. Of course since ADAPTER is a band with electronic influence,

the heavy driven of electronic sounds just cannot be avoided.

MORAN's take on ILLUMINATI were pretty good too.

It just not that great since the pseudo-heaviness kinda

washed the solitude feeling down from. At least they didn't get rid

the violins which is the cue for this song.

Aio is nice, he have a good voice.

Very J-Pop quality. I can bare it much better than of GACKT's

Which sometimes just too overdone (the vibrato) that it sounded similiar to goat.

Hm... that's all i can remember actually.

For best or for worse.

Since all other tracks just forgotten already!

I don't even remember how those sounds like LOL

BUt i feel the need to point out this, since this is suppose to be VK cover album

I find it so hilarious to find YEMON (Yellow Monkey) to be listed here.

Were they ever VK at all? They are glam rock!

Same goes to GACKT, Kawamura Ryuuichi (yes they are MALICE MIZER and LUNA SEA voc respectively, but them as solo act is never a VK!),

T.M.R, and SIAM SHADE

So if they gonna mae the 3rd one,i hope they can do a better qualification on this.

Little thing but pretty much bothersome.

There's definitely a band called Aoi, but I suppose they aren't the ones who did this then. So, I'm guessing the Disney cover album with Can You Feel The Love Tonight... That was also Aoi from ayabie?! Hmm. Wow.

There's definitely a band called Aoi, but I suppose they aren't the ones who did this then. So, I'm guessing the Disney cover album with Can You Feel The Love Tonight... That was also Aoi from ayabie?! Hmm. Wow.

There's a guy called Aoi from an unknown band called BOUNTY and Aoi from ayabie, who did both of these covers.

Perhaps you're confusing Aoi with awoi?

Yes, same guy from Disney cover + he's a solo artist (ex. vocalist from Ayabie,MASK,Cynical Biscuit) with supporting band-members...and he's a Major Artist + his music is quitting VK theme...going to something Pop-ish...

hope this helps^^

@Shizumi: I probably am confusing Aoi with Awoi lol. I mean I literally would have bet my life on an actual VK band that has two albums out named Aoi... Maybe I made the whole thing up... Weird. I don't know why I never considered this Aoi was Aoi from Ayabie seeing as I'm such a big fan of Aoi and Ayabie and Aoi's solo career. Weird.

@Matsukare88: It does clarify, lol, but I do know about Ayabie and Aoi's solo project already, big fan for years and years now. I don't have any reason why I didn't think that he could've been the one doing these covers o_O My brain is just shot.

Sign in to follow this