Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Get Hit By A Satellite

article-0-0DC39D7700000578-189_634x512.jpg

Nasa scientists are working round the clock to tell us where and when a six-ton satellite will land this week - but the only thing that's certain is that pieces of it will hit the surface of the planet.

The 20-year-old satellite will, Nasa estimates, break into more than 100 pieces on re-entry, and some will burn up - but it's estimated that around 26 of the heaviest metal pieces WILL hit the surface - in lumps weighing up to 300 pounds. In total, 1,200 pounds of metal will hit.

Debris could be scattered over an area up to 500 miles long. Nasa says there’s a 1 in 3,200 chance pieces could hit someone. It would be the first time in history someone was injured by space debris.

The Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite, or UARS, ran out of fuel in 2005 and could land on any of six continents. NASA says it could land at any point between 57 degrees north and 57 degrees south - which includes almost all the populated areas of our planet.

article-2035455-0DCAE33C00000578-992_634x463.jpg

Pinpointing where and when hurtling space debris will strike is an imprecise science. To calculate the orbit, N2YO.com runs information from the U.S. Air Force Space Command through a series of algorithms, and overlays it on mapping data from Google.

For now, scientists predict the earliest it will hit is Thursday U.S. time, the latest Saturday.

I know there's virtually no chance anyone will get by this, but the percentage isn't exactly zero. I'd be totally pissed if I'm walking down the street and all of sudden I see a giant bus sized satellite hurling toward me.

i hope it hits me... maybe it's a fast way of dying.

anyway, why cant anyone do sth against the nasa? it pisses me off that every time sth like this happens ppl get too damn scared. but ppl: remember that if you dont get hit by the satellite, we're all going to die next year!!!

If one of the debris landed in fronna my yard, im'ma keep them for meself.

Not even NASA can pay me to give it back to them.

Hm.. unless the price is right LOL, or i'll e-bay 'em

ahh D-Day. big day for Europe. Wish I was in Finland though...I'm not safe yet. Well since the time estimated is US time I'm sleeping once that thing falls down. Imma be hella pissed if I go to work tomorrow and get his by a huge satellite. Effing NASA.

I keep finding conflicting reports as times goes by. This is the latest I found.

On Friday morning, the space agency issued an update about its defunct Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite, which is dropping out of the sky more slowly than anticipated.

“Re-entry is expected late Friday, Sept. 23, or early Saturday, Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time,” NASA said. “The satellite’s orientation or configuration apparently has changed, and that is now slowing its descent.”

A day earlier, NASA said it expected the satellite to re-enter Friday morning.

The six-ton satellite circles the Earth on a tilted orbit, and as the planet turns each day, different locations pass underneath. The satellite’s orbit on Friday afternoon will not take it over any part of North America, but by Saturday, parts of the United States will again be in its path.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44632366/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Incase anyone one was wondering what happened:

After days of worldwide suspense, NASA declared Saturday that its six-ton Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite came apart during a fiery fall over the Pacific Ocean.

The space agency said the decommissioned spacecraft fell back to Earth between 11:23 p.m. ET Friday and 1:09 a.m. ET Saturday. NASA spokesman Bob Jacobs said the Joint Space Operations Center, headquartered at California's Vandenberg Air Force Base, reported that the satellite entered the atmosphere over the Pacific.

Sign in to follow this