Sign in to follow this  
Pretsy

[Russian] Mumiy Troll - Мумий Тролль

Мумий Тролль

771280_3.jpg

Wikiquote (again...):

Mumiy Troll is a Russian rock group, founded in 1983 in Vladivostok by vocalist and songwriter Ilya Lagutenko (Илья Лагутенко). The literal name of the band, 'The mummies' troll', is a pun on Moomin Troll, the series of Finnish children's books by Tove Jansson.

Mumiy Troll broke up when Lagutenko, who graduated in Mandarin and Chinese Economy, went to serve in the Soviet army (Russian Air Navy). Then he came back and they gained immense popularity with the release of their first (official) album Morskaya (Морская, Marine) in May 1997, which showcased a combination of melodic hard rock and Lagutenko's offbeat lyrics and coy, androgynous performance style. The second CD Ikra (Икра, Caviar), followed seven months later, and was equally successful.

Mumiy Troll remains one of Russia's most popular musical acts. Ilya Lagutenko defined their music style as rockapops. Once again Mumiy Troll became the leader of an entire new musical trend copied now to greater or lesser degree by Russian wannabees and mainstream artists. Being an example of one of the successful long-standing independent artists in Russia band released 8 studio albums so far, wrote and produced soundtracks

* Ilya Lagutenko: lead vocals, guitar

* Eugene "Sdwig" Zvidionny: bass guitar

* Oleg Pungin: drums

* Yuri Tsaler: guitars, keyboard, saxophone

I grew up with this band since their Morskaya - album...and gave it quits afterwards when they became more *commercial* with their britpop-less sound. But I am still digging some tracks off their recent repertoire.

I suppose the fans of Russian music know this band already..."Russian Placebo", perhaps?

ceYJyi4zuKw

6wTmSzjVPdA

XbWfS7L9RG8

one of the best russian bands imo, don't really see how they're similar to placebo - they indeed have the distinct British influence, but it's not Molko and dudes, it's bands before them.

Their recent stuff is too experimental and boring for my taste, but they are still good nonetheless, and there's nothing as remotely good as them here :\

Sign in to follow this