Sign in to follow this  
madygrain

Boogieman-loops

I will write a more deep review later on... for now I will say I really liked this mini album. The single's A sides grew on me and I like them much more now. PicaSSo and ラリユラ were really cool fits for 'old boogieman' songs imo, being ラリユラ my personal favorite on the album. POLYGON was the weirdest song considering the style of the band but it came along surprisingly well. The 故に、自壊 was really spectacular on Shu's side and it proved me how amazingly he can do.

I really look forward to their future releases, but now with confidence. My mark for this would be around 7 and 8, maybe closer to 8 than anything.

More interested in reading other people thoughts and how nekkichi ends up talking about sales instead of actual music.

Before giving this a super-long review - I gotta appoint that you, madygrain, cannot defend your interests very well - just take a look at boogieman shoutbox - how the heck is "live presence and audience stuff" relevant to the musical side? More like a visual side - As if I would really go to their gigs...

My pre-review (got time only for one listen due to things happening around etc.):

Since the sudden vocalist change (no matter what, both vocalists are still kinda non-unique (previous one emulated ( / copied) Kirito's voice very well!)) they have got themselves deeper into the safe play - zone. I seriously want to know if either Yuana or Akira have some part in making of this EP/single/whatever because it just sounds...dull. I can't hear anything experimental.

But that was just a quick listen (probably not worth my time) - I might give it a second listen and analyze it a bit more...but that wouldn't probably happen UNLESS I have too much free-time someday

3/10

p.s. seriously, with their old vocalist - they were definitely your everyday C-grade vksters but now...what.

More interested in reading other people thoughts and how nekkichi ends up talking about sales instead of actual music.

rude

I lost interest in them after that recent PV came out, and won't bother with checking neither boogieman's moosique nor sales.

bansaku and yuana are wasting their time (or can't do better at all, I dunno).

Loops just seems like the band is playing it safe. They aren't doing anything new or innovative but I don't think this is a band where you can expect that. They just seem to be playing the VK game for now. Maybe their next release will be better.

Before giving this a super-long review - I gotta appoint that you, madygrain, cannot defend your interests very well - just take a look at boogieman shoutbox - how the heck is "live presence and audience stuff" relevant to the musical side? More like a visual side -

I am gessing you are talking about Last.fm's shoutbox. If so, I recomend you to read again the conversation tha happened there. Some other user was begging for the band to disolve and I pointed out that the band's ecomics did not seem that damaged, at least in therms of live attendance. Also, I don't have to go to see their lives and count the atendees: all their onemans except this very last one have been sold out. And that could be seen in their OHP, because they updated the promotion banner with the 'sold out' indication.

Also I am looking forward to your complete review!

It's curious how being able to innovate and do different things as a band is so determinating for some fans. Even to the point that if a band's production does not evolve the music itself is not worth listening, whatever the actual quality of the music is.

I don't see how being 'generic' prevents a song from being good.

My guess is that POLYGON was meant to be a heartless song, and Shuu brought the idea to boogieman. It's a pretty good song for heartless but doesn't feel like boogieman at all.

Howling and Monopolize grew on me, the others were kinda forgetable. 6/10, i'd say.

I know it's late to reply to this, but somehow I have to.

Being the huge Junno fantard, I knew I wouldn't be able to do an objective review on the first 2-3 listens.

Also, being the Heartless lover, I just prayed to god Shuu improved his vocals enough to do with the big names Boogieman members are (still didn't listen to previous releases Shuu did with Boogieman before Loops. Just can't make myself to do it) . Well he didn't leave me disappointed on the vocals part (remember the first heartless releases? lol), but I did lose all my hope for both Yuana and Akira.

Well, Junno, it's been a while, and you better come back. These guys need you.

(beside writing all the lyrics, which are all amazing, Junno used to do a lot of composing too btw)

1. POLYGON-wtf? Am I listening to Kra or Boogieman? Extremely forgettable and dull. Although I do wish they sell the songs like this one to the bands like Royz are. It'd be a pleasant surprise if they did it, but it's just a disappointment to hear this from Boogieman

2. Howling-not bad. Really not bad. This song was actually my ringtone for a while (now it's back to Boogieman's Nirvana hah). Makes me relieved to hear it after Polygon at least.

3. monopolize-I used to hate it (junno complex), but now it almost makes me cry when I hear it. Beautiful. One thing Shuu is better at-writing ballad-like songs. The lyrics are also pretty good.

4. rariyura (whatever that's supposed to mean)-WELL NOW THIS SHIT IS GOOD. More boogieman-ish than anything on this album. Although it lacks on the heavy side, it's good.

5. Shreddinger no neko-blah. A tiny bit better than Polygon. Although I like the refrain

6. PicaSSo-Did I hear the drums? Did I hear the guitars? Dear lord, thank you! But aside from that, it's just awful. The melody is just roughly done, it needs a lot of working on it to become a decent song

7. Decoy#3-just..fuck you. Make your own songs. I just hate these Decoy things, I've also heard a D.child remake. I wonder whose idea is this, just so that I know who needs to be killed. ("Yue ni, jikai" for those who don't know the original)

generally, I'd give it 3.5/5 if it was ANY OTHER BAND, but since it's Boogieman, SCORE LESS, 2.5/5, and I've been pretty generous.

It's still listenable, I guess.

Nice to read some more opinions even if is this late.

How this album was planned and the overal scenario the band created after Shu joined is certainly not good. Although I liked Loops I see it could have been a much better release just replacing POLYGON and Shreddinger no neko with the Howling and monopolize singles b-sides, that were not only much better imo but they also retained more the spirit of the boogieman we all know (and in some cases love).

I think Akira compositions were really out of place in this CD. While Howling is ok POLYGON is completely out of the band's range in every possible way. I don't think it was bad and the result as a song is nice. But I thonk we all agree when I say no one listen to boogieman for this kind of song, whatever is good or bad. Also, Shrödinger no neko is kind of pointless when monopolize is a better ballad in every single way.

Yuana's songs were great and really managed to get this CD somewere imho.

Junno was great in therm of defining the direction of the band, adding some personality and his compositions really suited this quintet. he added the layer of crazyness and darkess from BeaU that suited Yuana's music so well and made Akira's catchy tunes to be arranged in a sinister sounding way. I like him way more than Shu, but I made my mind that he is not comming back to this awesome band. I secretly hope he comes back to the band as a producer so he can get the band on track and compose for them.

I have the feeling this CD was just a "loop" in the band's music development, a momentary deviation of their regular course. It just had bad timing since it was also the time to prove the band to be still competent even with a huge loss.

I can not wait for yuichirou to heal and the end of the baroque tour to see where this guys have planned next. I hope they manage their musical direction better, though.

Sign in to follow this