Sign in to follow this  
Trombe

MERRY new album "Beautiful Freaks" release

Finally something to truly look forward to from here. So excited it's unreal.

Cool, Dir en grey AND Merry albums, this is going to be great. But there's no info on whether the whole shows are included? I'd really like that 黒??羊 , it has one hell of a tracklist.

Looking forward to their new album!

I hope that they won't put "cry against"/"monochrome" there since both of those are so...generic.

Generic? Maybe, but amazing nontheless.

didnt liked the cry against at first, but after some listens i really liked it. its really really pscho. with the chorus and the screaming, really awsome stuff, cool break down aswell.

liked yakou and crysis moment better tough=)

I don't know if you've seen the live version of The Cry Against... that was on the Crisis Moment DVD, but it sounds anything but generic to me. Well depends on what you consider generic I guess.

Oh and they re-recorded that song, or the vocals at least, not sure about the rest. So it will definitely be on the album.

In my opinion, the word 'generic' carries too many negative connotations. Far too often you'll find people using the term to describe music that they consider unappealing or just plain garbage. However, I don't think the word should be necessarily viewed as a negative thing.

This is why I appreciate OldCheesy's comment. It shows that music can be both "amazing" and "generic" at the same time. For instance, I consider D'espairsRay's album "Coll:set" to be quite generic. Musically, it's nothing out of the ordinary - It's all stuff you've heard before. But their particular execution of that sound on that album is something that I consider to be exceptional.

I also agree with littlelamb that everyone's perception of "genericalness" differs. I guess I've listened to enough music to realize that it's all related in one way or another. And from the perspective I've developed, there's not a whole lot of music out there that can't be put in some kind of general category or made out to be "generic". So if I were to view music in terms of "generic" and "non-generic" , I'd consider the bulk of it to be the former.

So I try not to use the term as a substitute for the quality of music.

...and I realize that I've digressed from the topic at hand, but I just wanted to put that out there! ^^;;

Recent gazette is generic, merry is not. *Turns on crisis moment*

Well that sums it up quite well.

Haha, well I agree with CAT5 pretty much. Most music is "generic", since the truly ingenious bands are few and far between, which just makes me appreciate them even more. BUT that's not to say you have to reinvent music to be good and worth a listen. It's really all about the energy and how much of yourself you can bring into the music, for me anyway. I do use generic as a negative term though, but it's reserved for music with really... "tired" is how I would put it, melodies. It's something I just can't bring myself to overlook.

well for me Cry against is like a veeery baaad attempt from Merry at covering some Converge song

Even though we are talking about one of the most unique and awesome bands in the scene, eh?

(liking their old stuff even more than their recent songs - yakou and crisis moment are ok.)

What? I will just assume you're kidding, because the Converge-statement doesn't make any sense at all, y'know?

Indeed. Converge? Err no. I'd look more close to home (theirs) like The Mad Capsule Markets, AA= etc., stuff they actually are big fans of. But the chorus melody still has that melancholic kayokyoku feel, which is very uniquely Merry, so... wouldn't exactly call it a cover of anything.

What? I will just assume you're kidding, because the Converge-statement doesn't make any sense at all, y'know?

Well you know more about Converge than me, so ^^

But that's just another comparison coming from a guy (me) who listened only to 2 of converge's songs... /off-topic

Cry against is just not my cup of tea - I understand that they are trying to go back to their "Japanese Modernist"-roots but I prefer their jazzy and bluesy numbers to this...

Gara has some things to say about the album here:

UCV1NYK2CVs

I think he said there will be various interesting and geeky elements as well as very core/punkish parts...

I think they'll put the 3 single a-sides, fleeting prayer and monochrome on the album

still i hope they at least rework them a bit. And I hope for a neat, balanced mix of retro and punk things

I don't know about Fleeting Prayer... But monochrome was an A-side as well, so that'll probably be on there.

Well he did say something about "utamono" too.

Yeah, probably these songs will be on the album:

- The Cry Against...

- Monochrome

- Crisis Moment

- Yakou

...and maybe an obligatory intro (as always xD), or 1-2 interlude tracks too?

Of course their recent "MERRY" singles will be on the new album.

They'd be making a bad decision not to!

How did Converge get in this thread?

Yeah Merry are nowhere near Converge. If anything, you should take into consideration that Merry looks up to the Mad Capsule Markets, Balzac and Boøwy. I can definitely see the influences but no Converge.

off topic

Off topic but i'd totally tap Jacob Bannon. Simply gorgeous.

/off topic

Sign in to follow this