Sign in to follow this  
Guest OldCheesey

The LittleBig Recommendation-thread (READ OP!!!)

So, I've been thinking about making this thread for quite some time now, and thought it was about time I made one since I like this kind of threads. And yes, I found the concept on another forum. But I'll go straight to the point. Recommend albums/EPs/singles that you love to others, japanese as well as non-japanese. There's some rules for this thread, and they are as following.

Every single post with a recommendation should look exactly like this:

Artist:

Album:

Genre:

Release date:

Lenght:

A PICTURE OF THE COVERART

Tracklist (with the song names): (bold out your one/two/three favourite songs of the album/EP/single. But do NOT bold out all the tracks from a release. No more than three, please.)

A LINK to the song on Youtube, or other places where you can hear the one/two/three songs that you like the most without downloading or registrating. If you can't find it, then upload it to youtube or some place people can hear it.

A few lines about your personal opinion about the album.

Throw a dice, or use the scale from 1-10

I am well aware that such things as lenght ain't important, but I want the people who post here to put some extra effort in it instead of just naming some albums and shit like that. I hope people bother to follow the rules, or else I'll see if a mod can help me keeping this thread clean.

YES, you can talk about the albums that has been recommended and that's just fine, so that's not spamming or anything. I think that's all. C'mon and recommend stuff, gaiz.

Edit: One more thing. ONE album per post. No more!

However, just to make it clear to everyone:

This thread is not to ask for recommendations, unless it is by some of the bands already recommended by someone. This is just a thread for one person to recommend a band he/she love and share the goodies. But of course you can ask for albums/bands similar to whatever someone recommended here if you liked it. That's obviously a good thing. Just not come in here and make a post that goes like this: "can someone recommend me a good 80's hardcore album? I want it to be hard.", cuz that's not what it is for.

I'll start the whole thing and postthe first recommendation.

Artist: Nadja

Album: Truth Becomes Death

Genre: Ambient drone / doom metal

Release date: 2005

Lenght: 51 minutes

92802.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Bug / Golem 23:00

2. Memory Leak 16:27

3. Breakpoint 11:31

This is pretty much a masterpiece, and maybe Nadja's best release, alongside Desire in Uneasiness. The band spits out releases (28 albums, several EPs and splits and what not), so I haven't heard them all. But what I know is that Truth Becomes Death is a droning masterpiece with lots of layers with guitars and basses and whatnot. It's not a easy listening album at all, and it took me quite some time before I managed to get into it. It's slow, it's heavy and it's fucking crushing. Recommended to fans of Sunn O))), Boris' drone releases and, well, drone in genereal.

10/10

GREAT idea! Just so everyone knows, this thread differs from the music recommendation thread that Champ posted in the other discussion section. My thread was made for people to request recommendations, but in this thread, you can actually post anything that you'd like to recommend. ;]

Anyways, I will certainly contribute in the future! ;]

omg this can't be a coincidence LOL

I was looking for some good "drone metal" and I reached to this recommendation thread to ask for some good drone

LOL thank you OldCheesey

GREAT idea! Just so everyone knows, this thread differs from the music recommendation thread that Champ posted in the other discussion section. My thread was made for people to request recommendations, but in this thread, you can actually post anything that you'd like to recommend. ;]

Anyways, I will certainly contribute in the future! ;]

Correct. This thread is just made for people to recommend something they love to everyone, no matter the country and genre and so on. And yes, please do!

omg this can't be a coincidence LOL

I was looking for some good "drone metal" and I reached to this recommendation thread to ask for some good drone

LOL thank you OldCheesey

Lulz, you're welcome.

However, just to make it clear to everyone:

This thread is not to ask for recommendations, unless it is by some of the bands already recommended by someone. This is just a thread for one person to recommend a band he/she love and share the goodies. But of course you can ask for albums/bands similar to whatever someone recommended here if you liked it. That's obviously a good thing. Just not come in here and make a post that goes like this: "can someone recommend me a good 80's hardcore album? I want it to be hard.", cuz that's not what it is for.

Will include that in OP as well.

I'm back with a new recommendation. I've seen a little talk about this band on the forum before, but not too much.

Artist: Fall of Efrafa

Album: Elil

Genre: Epic Neocrust / sludge / post-metal

Release date: 2007

Lenght: 62 minutes.

R-1826547-1296032168.gif

1. Beyond The Veil 20:31

2. Dominion Theology 20:26

3. For El Ahraihrah To Cry 22:05

Beyond the Veil pt. 1:

Beyond the Veil pt. 2:

This is, in my ears, Fall of Efrafa's best work ever. They released three albums, a trilogi, where all are just amazing. But this topped it. Their second album. What we find here is mainly a epic neocrust album with riffing, drumming, vocals and so on similar to bands such as Ekkaia, Madame Germen and even some Tragedy. But what makes this band stand out is a lot of calm, acoustic post-rock passages, epic, epic and EPIC moments which is really majestic and powerful, and some more sludgy/post-metallic stuff, even though that's not the big thing in the sound, neocrust is. It's a band that do demand the full attention of the listener. Check it out!

10/10

Artist: pezite

Album: アダムスキーpezite

Genre: pop, jazz

Release date: 2009

Lenght: 43:54

51EdO8V6yYL._SS500_.jpg

1.コンタクト 5:32

2.プラスティカル 4:10 (sample)

3.サイレン 5:37

4.タイムマシン 5:33

5.アダムスキー 2:12

6.ホーリー 4:19

7.カスタ??ルラ 5:59

8.デイジー 4:51 (sample)

9.モールス 4:43

10.??ースデー 1:06

without doubt one of the best albums ever made. it's however for not such a large audience, but if your're fond of pop (alternative/experimental) and of jazz, this would be a nice try. The vocalist just released her first debut release, and though it's not really bad, it misses the stuff that makes this release just awesome. According to pezite's bass-player, they're currently recording their second album.

Like the idea of this thread so here is my contribution.

Artist: Xylos

Album: Xylos

Genre: Indie, Electronic, Dream Pop (? - according to other sources anyway, I suck with genres.)

Release date: 4/5/11

Length: 38:50

e43a4_.jpg

Tracklist (with the song names):

01. Darling Dearest

02. X Ray

03. Second Order

04. Blind Eye

05. Not Enough

06. Wrapped In A Page

07. Too Late

08. Suburbia

09. Mission

10. Dust

yLE2zhwnbSg

4shared (you can preview/stream the song without downloading it):

Blind Eye

Mission

Probably one of the most recent albums I've fallen in love with. I love Heidemann's vocals and music wise they have some hints of shoegaze that I enjoy. They also kinda sorta reminds me of the 80's. They had a 5-song EP called Bedrooms they released approx. 3 years ago and I think the time taken between the two was worth it (though bedrooms was good as well). I don't really think there's a bad song on the album either though some will probably stick with me ore than others.

9/10.

EDIT: going to try Aion's, since it sounds like something I can enjoy. :)

EleanooraRosenholmhyvile.jpg

Artist: Eleanoora Rosenholm

Album: Hyväile Minua Pimeä Tähti

Genre: Indie / Dream Pop / Electronic

Release date: 16.3.2011

Lenght: 5:52

Singers real name is not Eleanoora Rosenholm , this is just a band name.

this is project by Noora Tommila, Pasi Salmi and Mika Rättö.

10 / 10

Artist: Javiera Mena

Album: Esquemas Juveniles

Genre: indie electropop

Release date: 2006

Lenght: 46:40

esquemasjuveniles_tapas.jpg

Track List

1. Al siguiente nivel

2. Esquemas juveniles

3. Como siempre soñé

4. Sol de invierno

5. Cámara lenta

6. Casan

7. Cuando hablamos

8. Está en tus manos

9. Yo no te pido la luna

10. Perlas

sjFUUJiLChg

zVDqA4k4Y3Q

I wanted to post an Indie Chilean Artist that I love. This is her first album, she released her 2nd one last year but I want you try her first one. I love her, she's cute, her music is pretty relaxing sometimes, ugh just give her a chance :D

9-10

Artist: Paavoharju

Album: Laulu Laakson Kukista (transl. Song of the Flower Valley)

Genre: Psychedelic Folk / Ambient / ???? (Bollywood-ish pop with some twists from church music etc. etc.)

Release date: July 14, 2008

Length: 36:00

paavoharju_laululaaksonkukista_cd-record.jpg

Tracklist:

Pimeänkarkelo

Kevätrumpu

Tuoksu tarttuu meihin

Italialaisella laivalla

Alania

Uskallan

Ursulan uni

Kirkonväki

Salainen huone

Tyttö tanssii

Sumuvirsi

vGMzztBLCcA

VPJGOKv1GHo

AHzAGsNyBvg

Sounds like Dead Can Dance with finnish psychedelic folky twists (check: genre)

I just remember my guitar teacher digging this so I've decided to give this album a try as well - won't regret it

IT BLEW MY MIND WITH EPICNESS

Solid album, nice eerie tracks...great album!

Even though, I wouldn't listen to this at 12 PM or so, since its creepy as hell.

9/10

P.s. you folks should pay attention on our nice little folk acts (from Finland eheh)

That sounds quite good. I'll make sure to check out the album, Pretsy.

Artist: Peste Noire

Album: La Sanie des Siècles - Panégyrique de la Dégénérescence

Genre: Black Metal

Release date: 2006

Lenght: 52 minutes

1255798412_la-sanie-des-siecles.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Nous Sommes Fanés 02:18

2. Le Mort Joyeux 04:40

3. Laus Tibi Domine 06:57

4. Spleen 05:47

5. Phalènes Et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse 11:46

6. Retour De Flamme (Hooligan Black Metal) 04:18

7. Dueil Angoisseus (Christine De Pisan, 1362-1431) 07:02

8. Des Médecins Malades Et Des Saints Séquestrés 09:09

Released in 2006, this would be Peste Noire's debut album after releasing three demos and one split from 2001-2003. This is personally my favourite Peste Noire album, and one of my all time favourite black metal albums. Not onlyis the music extremely well written, but it is also original, without using a crapload of synth, going progressive or avant-garde or anything like that. This is just black metal in its purest form. The use of acoustic guitar is really original within the genre as well. This was always La Sale Famine de Valfunde's band. His baby, but on this album he had some help by other french artists such as Neige (Alcest etc.) and Winterhalter (Alcest, etc.). Famine has written all of Peste Noire's song, except for La Césarienne which was written by Neige for Folkfuk Folie. Vocals are mainly done by Famine, but two songs, Retour De Flamme (Hooligan Black Metal) and Dueil Angoisseus has it done by Neige, and he delivers the good as usual. Dueil Angoisseus has nothing but THE best vocal performance ever. The shrieks sounds inhuman and sick. For fans of good black metal, or just good music in general.

10/10

Just random, here. Since this is a cool thread and generally needs moar.

Artist: Lark's Tongue

Album: Lark's Tongue

Genre: ethereal / psychedelic rock

Release date: 2011

Length: 21 minutes

3songcoverblog.jpg

Tracklist

1. Tucson, Arizona

2. Follow Your Nightmares

3. Brown Recluse

http://soundcloud.com/larks-tongue/sets ... -song-demo

Not a lot to say, to be honest. Apparently they call themselves "bird rock" but fuck made-up genre names. It's not something you'll listen to and think it's oh-so-original and groundbreaking, blah blah blah, wah wah wah, etc, etc. But why should it be? Good music is good music, and this is good music. The full demo/EP is up there on soundcloud and the band themselves have it uploaded here so go ahead and give it a go. All 3 songs are gorgeous but my main recommendation is Brown Recluse.

9/10

Checked out Asakusa and Prism's recommendations and they were awesome.

Here's Mine

Artist: Amazing Baby

Album: Rewild

Genre: Indie Rock, psychedelic

Release date: 2009.6.22

Length:47:50

Amazing_Baby_-_Rewild.jpg

They made some really awesome and trippy sounding stuff. Head Dress seems to be the exception but still, it reminds of a 1950's rock tune. Love the guitar riff in that song.

GR3vaScKwGk

1.Bayonets

2.Invisible Palace

3.Kankra

4.Headdress

5.Dead Light

6.Deerripper

7.Old Tricks In Hell

8.The Narwhal

9.Roverfrenz

10.Smoke Bros

11.Pump Yr Brakes

On their debut album, Brooklyn singer-keyboardist Will Roan and guitarist Simon O'Connor long to get lost in the garden of Eden, and these showmen/shamen, with a full band and 15-piece orchestra, almost get there. Channeling glam, metal, punk, power pop, and experimental noise, Rewild is like a tour through a psychedelic fantasyland, featuring visions, hallucinations, and glimpses of death. Roan coaxes with an almost deliriously euphoric art-rock swagger while O'Connor infuses every track with hedonistic energy. Amazing Baby are desperate to dazzle -- and they often do.

9/10

Artist: Moonsorrow

Album: Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

Genre: Pagan Metal/Black Metal

Release date: 2011

Lenght: 61 minutes

Varjoina_kuljemme_kuolleiden_maassa.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Tähdetön 12:44

2. Hävitetty 1:34

3. Muinaiset 11:44

4. Nälkä, väsymys ja epätoivo 1:13

5. Huuto 15:59

6. Kuolleille 1:35

7. Kuolleiden Maa 16:23

YTMNuKzINDw

This was my first Moonsorrow release and I think it's fantastic. Plenty of people tell me that while it's a pretty good album, it's not their best work. From what I've listened to going back in their discography this album is very indicative of their sound. Ville Sorvali's vocals are simply epic and the epic riffs cascading one after another over and over again never gets old. I also enjoy the way this album plays out like a story, with the interludes adding to each of the tracks instead of being there just to take up runtime. The songs may be long but there is no buildup: from the minute it starts you get pummeled with great riffs, excellent technical drumming and vocals of hatred and despair. Definitely recommended for anyone that enjoys metal.

9/10

As much as I love the album, I think it is the "worst" out of their progressive pagan/viking/black metal ear, which means 05 and present. And it's not folk metal. They where never a folk metal band. Symphonic black metal (demos), viking/pagan metal early on (three first album) and then progressive pagan/viking/black metal on the four last releases. I like to be an arse about genres.

But, Zess is right. It's a damn good recommendation! If you want something powerful, epic and something that may take some time to swallow: then check out this album!

Eh, I should fix that then. I wasn't too sure what to call it so I went to the tags on Wikipedia (since I needed the tracklist anyway, why not?).

It's no big deal. It's just me being an asshole as usual. But I've been a Moonsorrow fan for many, many years now, and I really like their demos and three first albums. Actually, I love them. But I think they took a billion steps in the right direction with the release of "Verisäkeet". They took the best from the previous three albums, added a lot of black metal from their demo-days and then went all progressive on us, without starting to wank their guitars and stuff, and that's more or less what they've been doign since then, except for the last one which is a little lessb lack metlal and a little more of their old school viking metal. But the last four releases are atmospheric, at times grim and brutal, yet beautiful all the time.

Also, this is a band I can recommend seeing live. Amazing!

Artist: Smohalla

Album: Resilience

Genre: Psychedelic/Atmospheric Post-Black Metal

Release Date: 2011

Length: 45 Minutes

1319202112_12.png

Tracklist:

01. Quasar 03:31

02. Au Sol Les Toges Vides 07:38

03. Le Repos Du Lézard 05:10

04. Oracle Rouge 04:27

05. Marche Silencieuse 05:13

06. L'homme Et La Brume 06:50

07. Aux Mille Dieux 05:53

08. Nos Sages Divisent 06:45

SMOHALLA portrays in their music passionately dramatic cloud- and landscapes swirling about in an iridescent Doré- and Turner-like vision of skies opening into abysses; swathed in fiery cloth, distant sights of shadows falling and rising from the abyss to the heavens and back again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiH1WyPl ... re=related

Here is another band from France that stretches the barriers of conventional music and in this case, black metal. A mosaic of distorted guitars, choirs, violins, electronic loops, noise, screams and clean vocals, synths etc that sounds more or less unique. Chaotic beauty in simple terms. Imagine it as the background music for the very first minutes of creation, the big bang.

9/10

Artist: Unexpect

Album: Fables Of The Sleepless Empire

Genre: Avantgarde Metal

Release Date: 2011

Length: 55 Minutes

24600.jpg

Tracklist:

01. Unsolved Ideas Of A Distorted Guest Words

02. Orange Vigilantes

03. Mechanical Phoenix

04. The Quantum Symphony

05. Unfed Pendulum

06. In The Mind Of The Last Whale

07. Silence This Parasite

08. A Fading Stance

09. When The Joyful Dead Are Dancing

10. Until Yet A Few More Deaths Do Us Part

In their own band biography they are being described as: "...a metal laboratory mixing elements of black/death/symphonic/melodic metal; progressive, classical, electro, folk, jazz, operatic, mathcore, ambient, noise, circus music and anything else crossing their minds. The collective includes a violin, keyboards/sampling, a singing contemporary dancer, a 9 stringed bass, 2 guitarists/singers and a drum."

This album is fascinating and interesting in every possible way music can be fascinating and interesting. From the incredibly diverse vocals to the high level instrumental work, the passion, the crazy lyrics and the puzzle style of songwriting, each song is different, each song is intense. It does take some effort to listen to those songs, UnExpect is anything but easy listening. But this effort is rewarded with an incredible experience. Many bands write chaotic songs. But not many manage to make chaotic songs sound as natural, catchy and memorable as UnExpect.

If you like music which doesn't care about established paradigms like common song and harmonic structures, if you like music you can explore over and over again and thus enjoy for a long time, give this album a listen. There's a good chance you will like it.

10/10

Sign in to follow this