Sign in to follow this  
kurorockdude

SCREW - DEEP SIX

So here's my review for Screw's single Deep Six released on 23/03/11.

SCREW is one of those bands that has a lot of lovers and a lot of haters as well. In my opinion, the bands strong point is their instrumentals. Screw was my first Visual Kei band so I suppose I may have a bias as to why I enjoy them so much. As much a criticism goes, I've often seen dislike for their vocalist, Byou. Whether it's because of his vocal similarity to Ruki, (the GazettE) or because of various weaknesses of his vocal range, it seems he's been widely deemed as the band's weakest link. SCREW have been an indie band for 5 years and so there is curiosity if this single is looking for a wider audience and if it'll have a "Major" sound to it. I believe that this is SCREW's best single released to this day.

DEEP SIX: (I swear the first time I saw this title I thought it said Deep Sex) The title track of this single, it's a good song. The guitar work sounds a bit unfamiliar from SCREW, I don't think they've ever used the riffs from the pre-chorus and the little end part of the intro. I'm very curious about who composed this song. The instrumentation has definitely improved in this single. The vocals don't feel strong or very compelling and the chorus has very forced feeling to it. The bass doesn't stand out, but Jin's drumming is solid.

A Serial Killer: Screw has become very fond of using synth in their songs post Cursed Hurricane. This song seems like a great live song and their is a lot of energy in it. SCREW's trademark distorted screams make a return and suit the song well enough that they aren't annoying. The song seems like perfect blend of Old SCREW and New SCREW. There's a strong FOTC feeling in the verses and pre-chorus. The chorus brings in the New SCREW. The drumming is very strong in this song. The guitars don't stand out but serve as a solid base for the synth.

Mind Candy: This song may have the strongest guitar work I've ever heard from SCREW. The pre-chorus of this song is possibly the best SCREW has ever composed. Rui's bass playing in this song really shows of his capabilities. Byou's vocal melodies in this song are very catchy without having an annoying poppy sound. In terms of emotional feelings drawn from this song it has a badass sorrowful feel. The chorus uses a weird vocal alteration thing that will either be loved or hated.

TRANCE: Starts of with trademark upbeat Jrock sound. This song doesn't sound like familiar SCREW but has a familiar sound of a different VK band. I personally love this kind of sound and the chorus is one of my favourites. Byou's melodies are fantastic but he uses distortion for most of the song. This song reminds me of ViViD's style of having a part in their song where each band member does a special something. Rui's (first?) bass solo is just great! Jin's drumming is once again spot on. The guitar solos in this song sound nothing like Manabu and Kazuki have ever done! Especially the last solo, that has never been done by SCREW (You can really hear their improvement. ViViD / xTRiPx influences?)

Overall: This is SCREW's best release. The title track is probably the weakest song and it's still got its good moments. TRANCE and Mind Candy really show SCREW fans that Kazuki, Manabu, Rui and Jin have been working hard to improve their skills. Anyone who wasn't a fan of Byou before won't get converted, but those who already were fans will not be disappointed! It has such a blend of Old SCREW sounds (FOTC, VIRUS, VENOM, RB) and new SCREW sounds (post Kairos) that you can really see how far SCREW has come. Now I know that if they do go major, then it's because they deserve it. I usually download SCREW's releases, but this is definitely one I will buy.

I don't have anything bad to say about your review, it isn't too long or too short, it's just perfect. In fact it makes me want to go give this single, or at least the last two tracks that you so highly praised, a try. Good job! :wink:

DEEP SIX: (I swear the first time I saw this title I thought it said Deep Sex)

xDD

not much of a review a just want to say

every time i love their singles and

i don't like so much their albums.

i don't know wtf why.

(awesome singles ,boring albums for me)

i'm really happy about this single i like it very much

edit: pretty awesome single, indeed maybe one of their best

haven't been able to listen to it yet, but will tonight, the previews sounded rather good :D The reviews are pretty positive as well. And your review is very good :D

I don't have anything bad to say about your review, it isn't too long or too short, it's just perfect. In fact it makes me want to go give this single, or at least the last two tracks that you so highly praised, a try. Good job! :wink:

I second that! Haven't listened to them in quite some time and your review made me want to check out their new single^^

I listened to it just to make sure I didn't make the wrong decision and delete their discography a couple months ago. Still have same opinion. If this is their "best" I don't think I could ever like them too much.. Title isn't so bad (just boring) but b-sides are a bit more interesting and better. Just not wowed.

Haven't downloaded this or listened to it, but I came in here to spew my opinion everywhere and say the major force holding this band back before this release is Byou. As much as I myself heard the transition from X-RAYS to DUALITY in terms of his voice he's still a way below-average singer as opposed to just terribad like he was in their earlier days. If he hasn't improved, I don't honestly understand how SCREW could be "getting any better"; the composers aren't terribly inventive, their past songs have been standard VK fare...you know where I'm going with this. Does someone want to prove me wrong and tell me why I should download DEEP SIX?

@jun I've been thinking about that a lot and the only reason that I can come up with is because SCREW's composers do three different types of songs: the ear-grating wall of shit type songs like dust box and HEEL, the decent to good songs like FIREFLY and KAIROS and then the aimless in between that's the rest of their discography. An entire album of that is bound to get boring and repetitive, stretched thin of ideas as the band struggles to make 10 songs that sound somewhat interesting instead of three or four really good ones and 6 or 7 shit ones. With such a short release like this one, it can sound more diverse because they can put more ideas into less songs. I might be off though: let me know what you think!

Personally, I think SCREW would develop stronger albums if they stopped putting out singles and put some of their B-sides on their albums, since most of the time their B-sides trump some of the weaker tracks on their albums by FARRR.

Zesshoku: I'd say this single is completely on the decent side. Not a single crappy fillersong. A Serial Killer is a bit more on the weaker side, but the rest are really good. Just give it a try. It's like 20 minutes.

I agree, their best release so far.

I don't know where my comment stands, but...

I want another raging blood. along with thick-skinned contradiction, they were my favorite two screw songs... haha.

Saying that, I actually thought this was the first decent release in who knows how long.

Decent/10. Though the production is still horrible.

Hmmm after a week I must admit that I was having quite an intense fanboy moment while doing this review. That being said, i still really enjoy the single and it is one of the best they've released. But they've had stronger releases than this... I think it's safe to expect another single later this year perhaps in the Fall... I'd love to see what else they can bring to the table.

The single isn't bad at all. DEEP SIX isn't a bad song. I actually like most of it except the chorus, because Byou sounds forced in it. a serial killer is a pretty nice song too. I like the riffs and electronic sounds used in the song. TRANCE is just a regular song: nothing too memorable, just like Mind Candy. Overall, the single isn't bad, but I don't like it too, so 6/10

It did? Wow, actually I'm surprised. I have to say this single was pretty good though

This was a great single by them but (im not saying they stole or copied) is it just me that thinks Mind Candy' solo sounds a bit like Nightmare's solo style?

This was a great single by them but (im not saying they stole or copied) is it just me that thinks Mind Candy' solo sounds a bit like Nightmare's solo style?

Pretty much every VK band does solo's like that.

Pretty much every VK band does solo's like that.

Right but usually i'm able to notice something that sort of defines the band in the solo but with this solo i actually thought I was listening to a Nightmare song solo

Sign in to follow this