Total Saikou

SHM-CDs: An audiophile treat or a complete SHaM?

I've been thinking about this topic for a while, and it especially pertains to Japanese music as this CD format is primarily used in Japanese releases (in both western and Japanese music). SMH-CDs (Super High Material) are produced by JVCKenwood, who you probably know as the parent company of the Victor Entertainment record label. In fact, some Visual Kei artists you might know who are under the Victor label have their releases available in SMH format (such as BUCK-TICK). SHM's close counterpart is known as the SACD (Super Audio), made by Phillips. SMH-CD formats are manufactured differently (basically, they are made of a more transparent material which allows the laser to read it easier but even more detailed info can be found here) and are said to improve the audio quality on the CD.  

I'd also like to add that like all Japanese CDs, they are at a premium in comparison to their non-SHM western issues (if they have one, that is), so I'm also theorising that this could be another domestic purchase incentive akin to Japanese bonus tracks.

I've been thinking of buying this format but SMH-CDs are controversial because there is no real evidence that they outperform regular CDs, though many collectors swear that they can hear the difference. Do you have any SMH-CDs and what do think about them? Can you hear a difference or do you think this is just as SHaM-CD format?

According to article made by CDJapan. Some of these CD's are used by very well known artists in the Music industry.  There is a interesting science behind this. In a way some of this stuff makes sense others do not.

Based off what i read with a little research SMH-CD's are more durable then your average CD's they do contain a better projection of data on the CD but not enough to make much of a difference in sound quality a least worth noting unless you have expensive audio equipment to really play with. Notably most Japanese editions of CD's are similar to SMH-CD's in quality and are priced slightly high for that reason. I don't personally own these CD's but based on the information on others who have one. It really depends on your audio equipment and perception of how you hear music. Some people notice it some people do not. SH Material is "supposed" to make your CD Player's work better by incorporating better materials that's for more reliable in production, easier to read obviously if you have a good CD player. What this basically to me at least is longer lasting CD's.

Interestingly enough, SMH-CD's are made out of polycarbonate material which are also a similar material that Blue ray CD's are made of. Not 100% made of the same material but mostly comprised of it.

This aside. My opinion tho is that i believe the CD's in quality could be the same if i heard it. (Disclaimer: I dont own a SMH-CD).  I also believe it is based off the artist and there equipment, sound production and mastering of the audio itself for you to really tell the difference in it. Thats just me tho. If you want to take a shot in the dark that is fine. Im not that interested in other types of CD's believe it or not but i did get a good take away from this topic which is that  Interestingly enough this encourages me to re-rip some of my CD's with a better CD player. All my rips are from a 2005 CD player. Need an upgrade.

Non-CD:

Me personally i prefer M4a audio higher then 320 Kbps. Mostly because its the closet format to a Lossless without the big file. A difference for ripped CD's, i noticed is when i listen to a Mp3 320 kbps compared to a m4a 320 kbps. Some mp3's are actually really good quality but most M4a's in my opinion sound better then Mp3. Lossless for me interestingly enough is the same for a ripped M4a i don't notice that much of a difference for my ears. I use 100 dollar wireless headphones tho but speaker wise i will need to upgrade later.

Edited by Axius

I don't really care for it. It looks like they still follow redbook qualifications and that is all that matters for a good rip in EAC. I don't listen to CDs anymore, I hate the whirling sound it makes in my PC.

Companies could also be using a different mastering for SHM versions to make it sound different which could explain the price hike. In which case then it might be good to try to see if the new mastering is better. At that point you are strictly paying for the music and not the CD quality which is probably cheap as hell to manufacture.

53 minutes ago, JukaForever said:

Companies could also be using a different mastering for SHM versions to make it sound different which could explain the price hike. In which case then it might be good to try to see if the new mastering is better. At that point you are strictly paying for the music and not the CD quality which is probably cheap as hell to manufacture.

These versions are usually just more expensive version of a CD's due to its durability. Polycarbonate material almost like steel in hardness so its generally more pricey then standard CD's. Mastering does have a small portion of that contribution but ultimately its the way the CD is made. I would agree it can be worth checking out maybe on like your favorite release or something just to see how its sounds.

Kinda similar to like buying a Blu-ray vs DVD. A DVD is cheaper to make as posted to a Blu-ray  because of the way its made. That's why they are priced differently. As for Japanese versions of CD's its up in the air there are different types. Even HMV.co. jp has there own version.

Regardless i agree. I dont care for the SHM CD all that much.

Edited by Axius

I own the THE ONE - crash to create- single by Luna Sea as a SHM-CD and really can't spot a difference to normal quality CDs.

I have a relative good audio set up at home and really sat in front of the speakers with closed eyes to hear any details which were not available in standard quality. XD

Either there is really no big difference or I am not audiophile enough.

So in my opinion buying a SHM-CD is money thrown away.

i love CDs; i spent stupid amounts of money on them & have shelves full i like to look at & enjoy the visual art inside of
i can't think of any way i'd more prefer to purchase & collect music

but if i wanted the absolute highest audio quality i'd just download it from bandcamp.....

idk what the point tho is of anything more lossless than 320mp3 unless you're in a lifted tuned room w/ flat monitors & no AC etc running

Sound quality wise, personally I did hear the difference.

Even after I ripped the CD, the sounds are still sounding clear and crisp, great balance, something that I don't ever find from regular CD rip regardless of tools were used to rip it, hence why I usually had to resort to purchase raw FLAC or WAV files of it when available. With Western artists, it is easier to find and more accessible. But with Japanese albums, I can only have that from SHM CD rip.

I have some SHM-CDs and SACDs but the format is totally wasted on me as I cannot hear a damn thing that's supposed to be better about them, lol. Although reading what some of the replies mentioned here, if extended durability is true then I am glad to own some.

I don't mind artists releasing or re-issuing their catalogue on these formats as I haven't really experienced a significant increase in their price (when it's a reissue/remaster of a 'legacy band' sometimes it's the exact opposite actually!) so I guess what I'm saying is uhhhh... I'm like whatever, ok. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Jigsaw9

2 hours ago, LIDL said:

Sound quality wise, personally I did hear the difference.

Even after I ripped the CD, the sounds are still sounding clear and crisp, great balance, something that I don't ever find from regular CD rip regardless of tools were used to rip it, hence why I usually had to resort to purchase raw FLAC or WAV files of it when available. With Western artists, it is easier to find and more accessible. But with Japanese albums, I can only have that from SHM CD rip.

Just out of curiousity what is your current audio set-up. IE Speakers, amplifiers, and headphones if any?