Sign in to follow this  
Peace Heavy mk II

Types of music you have a weakness for

- I love 3/4 Rhythms and Carnival Music as well. :wub:

- Progressive and avantgardish Music with unusual Instrumentations and unpredictable Songstructures with Blends of all kinds of musical Styles.

- Unusual Chord Progressions like "Enslaved" does.

- Deranged, strange and lunatic Ideas (Le Grand Guignol, Ordo Draconis, Angizia)

- Well made Harmonies and Disharmonies.

- 70's Prog Rock

- Use of Jazz and Swing Elements in Metal and Rock

- Technically ambitous Drumming (Jazz Education)

- Guitarsounds with Flanger+Delay Effects (often used by Gothic Rock Bands, old Katatonia Stuff)

- classical Music and Metal with massive Orchestrations, like Sigh, Transcending Bizarre?...

- Melodic Black Metal with beautiful fast-paced Melodies

- Sinister Keyboardsounds (Emperor, Tartaros, Limbonic Art)

- Old School Death Metal with deeply tuned Guitars like old Entombed, Dismember, Grave...

- Church Organ, Cymbalom, Chimes or Glockenspiel and mixed Choirs

- Minor Keys

-anything with strings instruments (piano, violin, cello, etc)

-anything with a good melody

-acoustic folk/pop

-mellow electronic pop

-shoegaze/dream pop

Adding to my list:

-Kind of staticy guitars, like the Piass, WERKMARE or DEViL KiTTY

-Audible bass that's more than just an 8th note pulse of the same not or doubling the rhythm guitar part in a lower register

-Frilly kote-kei guitar work : you know, the kind that's kind of fluffy sounding and just plays arpeggios without any real purpose because their second guitarist needs to do something on stage

-Several time changes in one song that doesn't hinder it's quality.Examples: Versailles' "God Palace," Volbeat's "Evelyn," Dream Theater's "Panic Attack," August Burns Red's "Truth of a Liar," etc

-Lately I've been liking frantic songs, although that's been pertaining to Rentrer en Soi. For example, "Fuyuu tsu...something," "Fallen," and "I hate myself and want to..." are good examples that range from calm to absolutely crazy while still being artistic.

- industrial / electronica elements/touch on it if not all

- Ass kickin' guitar shreds or drums rovels at the beginning of the song that'll rocks my socks off.

- Pipe Organ (i guess they didn't really play the instruments but the sampling, but still)

- Chamber Organ

- some weird noise VK artists only can make

Visual Kei (Kote kote kei).

Catchy choruses.

Folky shit.

Bad singers who just try so hard (Mostly VK).

Sweep picking and other douchy guitar tricks.

Bass playing that actually stands out and is part of the song.

That is all I can really think of at the moment.

Songs with banjo, xylophone, harmonica and pedal steel guitar.

Acoustic passages, especially in heavy songs.

Traditional instruments (koto, shamisen, shakuhachi).

Passionate and strong singing.

Rock songs that use electro elements that harmonize and don't overlay the other instruments.

And a shitload of other stuff I can't recall right now.

-Slap bass.

-Songs with a fancy and energetic piano melodies.

-Deep ultramelodic vocals.

-Orchestal arrangements of rock/metal songs.

-Silences or partial silences before some specially killer part of the song.

-Piano only/piano + voice cover songs.

also

Acoustic passages, especially in heavy songs.

And that's it for me.

For some reason I often find songs about a girl/woman very nice. Or songs who portrait a girl/woman as a symbol for a larger group or an entire society. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin is a great example of this.

The Doors - Love Street

The Doors - Queen of the Highway

The Doors - Unhappy Girl

The Doors - You're Lost Little Girl

Golden Earring - Suzy Lunacy

Nightwish - Eva

DEAD END - Serafine

The Rolling Stones - Angie

The Black Crowes - She Talks to Angels

Some more examples. Even if I'm not entirely sure what the song is about in some cases, they set this kind of atmosphere you only get with this theme...

IDM / Glitch-hop

Ambient (mixed with noises/field recordings/IDM)

Jazzy hip-hop, if the MC has a good flow, and the music itself is intresting, not just some boring beats.

Lush/raw vocals

Deep, barithone vocals

Technical/math rock, and prog-rock, only if it's not just about 'oh look how technical we are and we can write so complex songs'

Doom-jazz

Acoustic instrumentation

Piano

Cinematic soundscapes

What's Doom-jazz?

The type of jazz bands like Bohren & der Club of Gore play - you might want to check Bohren's first album, 'Gore Motel'. The core of the music is Black Sabbath like doom, but with some twists in it. Also, some people use the term for bands like The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, Swami Lateplate (one of their album's title is also 'Doom Jazz') or the Venetian Snares Vs. Bong-Ra project.

Aha, I see. Yeah, I'm familiar with Bohren & der Club of Gore. Not my cup of tea at all. I prefer Doom Rock and Doom Metal.

I forgot sludge.

Sometimes I don't even know why. It has to be the right sludge, though. The insiduous, raw, this-song-will-bring-a-tear-to-your-eye-and-kick-you-in-the-gut sludge.

And what kind of Sludge is that? Eyehategod's "Dopesick"? Cult of Luna's "The Beyond"? Isis' "Oceanic"? Iron Monkey's "Our Problem"?

I love as well. Both the atmospheric stuff such as Cult of Luna and Isis and the raw power such as EyeHateGod and Iron MOnkey.

Psybient and Acid Ambient, oh god how I love thee.

Could you post an example of these? I've never heard of them o_o

JezJJbz0LXg

W4Cd-mnaB7o

And what kind of Sludge is that? Eyehategod's "Dopesick"? Cult of Luna's "The Beyond"? Isis' "Oceanic"? Iron Monkey's "Our Problem"?

I love as well. Both the atmospheric stuff such as Cult of Luna and Isis and the raw power such as EyeHateGod and Iron MOnkey.

Cult of Luna = absolute favourites. I do love Neurosis, Isis, Amenra and Old Man Gloom. Battle of Mice, too, get right under my skin.

^ what makes those 2 different from normal ambient music? xD

If you take a liste to Acid Ambient you will hear a lot of psychedelic sounds and such. So it's more or less Ambient with some psychedelic stuff thrown in. Nothing more.

Cult of Luna = absolute favourites. I do love Neurosis, Isis, Amenra and Old Man Gloom. Battle of Mice, too, get right under my skin.

I see. So you're more of a Post-Metal boy/girl? What about Sludge such as Melvins, Eyehategod, Grief and such? The originals, to say. Raw, filthy, dirty Sludge the way it used to be?

Cult of Luna are probably my favourites as well together with Eyehategod, Isis and Grief.

^ what makes those 2 different from normal ambient music? xD

If you take a liste to Acid Ambient you will hear a lot of psychedelic sounds and such. So it's more or less Ambient with some psychedelic stuff thrown in. Nothing more.

That's pretty much it, really. Lol. It just has a bit more flavour than ambient.

Psybient also has some glitch influences and on occasion, dub.

I see. So you're more of a Post-Metal boy/girl? What about Sludge such as Melvins, Eyehategod, Grief and such? The originals, to say. Raw, filthy, dirty Sludge the way it used to be?

Cult of Luna are probably my favourites as well together with Eyehategod, Isis and Grief.

Girl! And basically yes. Although I like Eyehategod and Melvins, as well as Weedeater and Iron Monkey and so on, ultimately I'm probably drawn more toward the atmospheric sort. But it's really rare for me to hear sludge I don't like, or that doesn't give me chills.

What would you recommend by Grief?

Ahh, I see. But yeah, Sludge is a great sub-genre.

I haven't heard all their albums, but "Dismal" is a real winner. It's really dark, filthy and rotten to the core Sludge. The album has got amazing production as well. Gotta love the bass and drum sound. I love how the bass drum feels like a punch to the face.

Sign in to follow this