Original Saku

The HiFi Thread (show your audio setups)

So I've fallen pretty hard into HiFi (High Fidelity) audio gear and lifestyle. I've amassed a pretty good setup and a nice collection of gear and was wondering if there was any interest here on the forum. We can pretty much just use this thread to post pictures of each others setups and stuff essentially as well as discuss different gear. I know we already have a headphone thread, but don't be afraid to post headphones/earphones in here as well, I'm aiming to make this a general audio gear thread, so post away.

post pictures of whatever you want your full setup or individual gear. Doesn't have to be limited to desk setups either, shows us your living- room setups and movie watching systems.

I'll start by just posting some pictures of my current desk setup .

UHs9Fjg.jpg

qoxDjWD.jpg

p9trOAm.jpg

q0EYKy7.jpg

LmP2BnT.jpg

that's enough for now, next time I'll get some pictures of my tv setup and maybe some of my portable gear.

Edited by Original Saku

Untitled-Panorama1.png

IMG-20190814-012408.jpg

can't sleep, so i post

pc is just left of memetop + ps3 and ps4 on the bottom two boxes

check out my janky-ass setup w/ my magni 2 feeding into my old receiver, lol

the headphones not pictured here (hanging below my desk) are my Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, SPH9500 w/ my old Alpha Pads, and ATH-M50s

*also my mic's pop filter is retracted b/c I don't really use it anyway ;;

Edited by colorful人生

I'm too lazy to make photos but...

External DAC or vinyl turntable + tube amp + Beyerdynamic DT 770 or Stax headphones.

Or using Presonus Eris 5" studio monitors with my recording soundcard when getting tired of headphones.

On 8/14/2019 at 1:06 AM, colorful人生 said:

Untitled-Panorama1.png

IMG-20190814-012408.jpg

can't sleep, so i post

pc is just left of memetop + ps3 and ps4 on the bottom two boxes

check out my janky-ass setup w/ my magni 2 feeding into my old receiver, lol

the headphones not pictured here (hanging below my desk) are my Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, SPH9500 w/ my old Alpha Pads, and ATH-M50s

*also my mic's pop filter is retracted b/c I don't really use it anyway ;;

Nice shit stack you got there :D I've never used anything from schiit but lots of people swear by their amp/dacs. I wouldn't mind getting their hybrid tube amp at some point, the Mjolnir I believe it's called.

How are those mad dogs? I'm about to get ready to send my T50RP3 in to modhouse for the Argon conversion soon myself.

Speaking of Schiit stacks, @colorful人生 inspired me to get my own Magni/Modi set up. I was having trouble getting Windows 10 to recognize the device as something that plugs in but doesn't communicate with it. I think I need to avoid USB 3.0 ports or something because the Magni/Modi 1 doesn't play nice with them.

20190822_145307.jpg

And here's what it's attached to, Sennheiser HD 600 with a Modmic Wireless attached.

20190819_182159.jpg

Right now I've got:

Shure SE215's: longest lasting pair I've had, got 'em in late '15, had to replace the cable once last year, but I'm thinking of upgrading

Burmester speakers for my car ('10 Porsche Panamera S): dropped the bass by 3/6, raised the treble by 3/6, gives it a more balanced sound, no other modifications.

[doesn't have pictures of the car speakers]

I unfortunately don't have any good in-home speakers. A few years ago, I got a DOSS Bluetooth speaker to use with my computer and turntable, but it sounds shitty so I use it as a book-end for my 7" records.

Whenever I listen to records, I have a Creative Sound Blaster that I only use so I can adjust the volume (left). Sometimes when I don't want to move my record player from the shelf in my closet to the floor or my desk, I'll add in some Bluetooth equipment that purists would frown upon (right).

i8nAiUw.jpg

Most of my music listening is with my earbuds or in the car, so what I've got works for now (unless everyone's gone and I want to listen to music on speakers, in which case, ugh).

19 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Nice shit stack you got there :D I've never used anything from schiit but lots of people swear by their amp/dacs. I wouldn't mind getting their hybrid tube amp at some point, the Mjolnir I believe it's called.

How are those mad dogs? I'm about to get ready to send my T50RP3 in to modhouse for the Argon conversion soon myself.

The Mad Dogs are still really nice, but the stickers on the side have peeled off so they just look like the MK2s on the outside. I actually bought the last pair Dan sold on the site, so hopefully mine last for a long time. I thought about the Alpha upgrade, but I heard the mod made the cans slightly too sibilant, which I'm a bit sensitive to. The stack is nice, but the Magni 2 doesn't drive enough power to my liking for the MDs which I have it go out to the Panasonic (so it functions as a pre-amp.)

How do the MK3s compare to the Mad Dog mod? I heard the MK3s were a marked improvement over the MK2s, but I wasn't sure how they compared to the MDs.

Also have to mention that your setup reminds me of Zeos' (Z Reviews), who's influenced most of my audio-related purchases.

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

Speaking of Schiit stacks, @colorful人生 inspired me to get my own Magni/Modi set up. I was having trouble getting Windows 10 to recognize the device as something that plugs in but doesn't communicate with it. I think I need to avoid USB 3.0 ports or something because the Magni/Modi 1 doesn't play nice with them.

Nice :D. Oh yea, none of them play nice with USB 3.0. I have a USB 2.0 switcher that my Modi is plugged in to.

---

Forgot to mention on the portable end I have LG Tone Platinums (I bought refurb), Jaybird X3s (that need repairing), Tin Audio T2s, and Koss KSC75s (rip etika). Since adapters/dongles are dogshit and bluetooth eats my battery, I have my iPod Classic 6g w/ Rockbox as my backup device once the phone battery gets low. Also my Vita can't do newer gen bluetooth, so I'm forced to go wired anyway.

Edited by colorful人生

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

20190822_145307.jpg

And here's what it's attached to, Sennheiser HD 600 with a Modmic Wireless attached.

20190819_182159.jpg

Nice setup! I was gonna go with a modmic wireless but then I saw the price tag and it kinda scared me away (too much for something that could and probably will crap out after a few years), for around the same amount of money I got a Blue Yeti Desk Mic instead.

How do you like the HD 600? I have the 6xx (basically a 650) but have never tried the 600. Might be getting one soonish though if I can find a good price used, Heard they are amazing on a OTL Tube amp like my Darkvoice.

4 hours ago, colorful人生 said:

The Mad Dogs are still really nice, but the stickers on the side have peeled off so they just look like the MK2s on the outside. I actually bought the last pair Dan sold on the site, so hopefully mine last for a long time. I thought about the Alpha upgrade, but I heard the mod made the cans slightly too sibilant, which I'm a bit sensitive to. The stack is nice, but the Magni 2 doesn't drive enough power to my liking for the MDs which I have it go out to the Panasonic (so it functions as a pre-amp.)

How do the MK3s compare to the Mad Dog mod? I heard the MK3s were a marked improvement over the MK2s, but I wasn't sure how they compared to the MDs.

Also have to mention that your setup reminds me of Zeos' (Z Reviews), who's influenced most of my audio-related purchases.

Nice :D. Oh yea, none of them play nice with USB 3.0. I have a USB 2.0 switcher that my Modi is plugged in to.

---

Forgot to mention on the portable end I have LG Tone Platinums (I bought refurb), Jaybird X3s (that need repairing), Tin Audio T2s, and Koss KSC75s (rip etika). Since adapters/dongles are dogshit and bluetooth eats my battery, I have my iPod Classic 6g w/ Rockbox as my backup device once the phone battery gets low. Also my Vita can't do newer gen bluetooth, so I'm forced to go wired anyway.

I've never listened to the mad dogs myself but I've heard that the MK3 is close but just not as refined at the MD mod. Also the MK3 are even more power hungry than the MD, if you can barely push the MD then you have no chance for the MK3. It is the most power hungry cans I own. As for sound the MK3 is super mid focused with a decent amount of treble, they shine with female vocals and is my favorite thing about listening to them. They are a little bass-lite which is one of the main reasons I'm gonna send them in for the Argon conversion.

Yeah Zeos is a big influence on my purchasing habits as well as a few other reviewers, I took both the foobar portrait ultra wide monitor and the yoga mat idea from his setup for my own. but seriously yoga mat is like one of the best things I ever discovered from him, I put that shit on everything now. It is vibration and sound dampening as well as slip proof :) and it makes everything look cooler imo, also don't have to worry about dust anymore.

5 hours ago, Seimeisen said:

Right now I've got:

Shure SE215's: longest lasting pair I've had, got 'em in late '15, had to replace the cable once last year, but I'm thinking of upgrading

Burmester speakers for my car ('10 Porsche Panamera S): dropped the bass by 3/6, raised the treble by 3/6, gives it a more balanced sound, no other modifications.

[doesn't have pictures of the car speakers]

I unfortunately don't have any good in-home speakers. A few years ago, I got a DOSS Bluetooth speaker to use with my computer and turntable, but it sounds shitty so I use it as a book-end for my 7" records.

Whenever I listen to records, I have a Creative Sound Blaster that I only use so I can adjust the volume (left). Sometimes when I don't want to move my record player from the shelf in my closet to the floor or my desk, I'll add in some Bluetooth equipment that purists would frown upon (right).

i8nAiUw.jpg

Most of my music listening is with my earbuds or in the car, so what I've got works for now (unless everyone's gone and I want to listen to music on speakers, in which case, ugh).

I've heard some good things about shure IEMs, the only thing I've ever used from them though is their alcantara earpads which are legit some of the softest pads I've ever worn.

My current IEM endgame is the BGVP DM7

kri9aVb.jpg

Excellent pair of IEMs luckily I was able to avoid a QC nightmare and my pair works perfectly, Hopefully they'll get their process under control because they really make some of the best value Chi-fi IEM you can get right now.

2 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Nice setup! I was gonna go with a modmic wireless but then I saw the price tag and it kinda scared me away (too much for something that could and probably will crap out after a few years), for around the same amount of money I got a Blue Yeti Desk Mic instead.

How do you like the HD 600? I have the 6xx (basically a 650) but have never tried the 600. Might be getting one soonish though if I can find a good price used, Heard they are amazing on a OTL Tube amp like my Darkvoice.

I've had them for a few years. I've got the HD 600, the Corsair VOID RGB headset, ATH M50xs, the HD 518's and the HiFiMan HE 400, and the 600s are my favorite pair to use. They sound just as good as the planars and they're a lot lighter on the head. Velour pads are a god send for long listening sessions in humid weather. That's why I ended up modding those headphones and not a different pair that I barely use. Never had the pleasure of owning a tube amp, so I can't say how they sound with those, but the Magni/Modi 1 drive them just fine. Sound very neutral and that can either be an excellent thing or a bad thing, depends on if you like flavor in your  music. But honestly that's something a bit of EQ can fix. I like the neutral sound, even if it can be a bit revealing at times.

480788.jpeg

944258.jpeg

324675.jpeg

This is my current living room setup. I updated my speakers and amp in October of last year and so far I'm pretty happy with everything. The turntable will probably need some upgrading soon to get it on par with the rest of the components but it's alright. I mainly listen to vinyl and digital music which I stream from TIDAL or directly from my music library which is located on my PC.

I'm very happy with how the speakers sound in my living room, they are by nature very revealing / analytical but the amp (thanks to the tube) kinda softens that edge a bit and makes them more palatable. The tape deck is mainly for VK demo tapes 😅

Here's a list of the components:

• Amp: Vincent SV-500 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier
  • Speakers: ATC SCM 11
  • Streamer: Bluesound Node 2i
  • Tape deck: Yamaha KX-200
  • Turntable: Project Debut III (with an Ortofon OM 5E cartridge and a HAMA PA 506 phono preamp)
Edited by VESSMIER