CAT5

Recommended Tracks: July 2017!

Recommended Tracks: July 2017!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which tracks did you enjoy this month?

• "天上天下" by ARCHEMI.
    • "鮮やかな矛盾" by NoGoD
    • "昏睡" by SCAPEGOAT
    • "青年ナイフ" by ニトロデイ
    • "Sorry, I Am Not" by SHE TALKS SILENCE
    • "雨” by 游彩
    • "虚言癖" by DAMY
    • "⚪︎と×" by ザアザア
    • "burst" by Zill
    • "Dystopia -Vanishing Point-" by Boris
    • "声飛行" by Gutevolk

S4pniaQ.png

Greetings, MH! Another month, another batch of recommended tracks from the amazing ORZ team! 

Check them out and let us know what you think! :lleft:

(We apologize if some videos aren't available due to region restrictions!)

@plastic_rainbow's Picks

"天上天下" by ARCHEMI.

"Tenjou Tenge" by ARCHEMI.

bhCoag2.png

Using religious themes like Hotokesama - which refers to Buddha - worship and spiritual enlightenment along with a heavy and aggressive sound, ARCHEMI. stands out from most VK bands. They recently gained a new drummer and now continue as a 4 member band once again. Although their new drummer Maya previously performed in a visually brighter band, Aloud, his fast-paced drumming works well with ARCHEMI.'s tumultuous force. Their newest single includes three equally good tracks - the fourth one being an SE - , of which "Tenjou Tenge" is the most refreshing. Instead of rehashing their overdone but brainwashing-in-a-good-way Hotokesama worship, the shouting of 'soiya soiya soiya', the beating of taiko drums, and flute in "Tenjou Tenge" evoke a traditional Japanese spirit. That being said, ARCHEMI. still have their furious bang down with the highly addictive heavy metal riffs and rushed drumming. Listening to ARCHEMI. is like following an underground cult, and the enthralling chants and head bursting screams spewed by Isami will drag you into a dark and calamitous spiritual adventure between heaven and earth. If you've never heard of ARCHEMI., you are totally missing out.

Spoiler

"鮮やかな矛盾" by NoGoD

"Azayakana Mujun" by NoGoD

jO8frFI.png

Picking up in quality again, the year so far has been looking good for NoGoD after the blasting release of Missing several months ago. They continue their successful streak by dropping another outstanding track that is "Azayakana Mujun". It brings back the softer and more poignant sound reminiscent of their indie days. Or to be more specific, I'd say that it carries the very essence of their album Mugenkyou, which was when the band peaked. Danchou's vocals become most effective when he exerts his voice in a wistful way, which he has not done in a while until very recently. In "Azayakana Mujun", the intro begins instantly with Danchou's passionate vocals, but later includes calming spoken word as well. One thing that NoGoD always excel at is the ability to contrast the silent and loud moments in a compelling way. You can especially hear this when the powerful guitar solo follows right after Danchou's soft spoken words backed up by tranquil guitar melodies. If you thought NoGoD would never produce anything as good as what they did in their heyday, I recommend that you check out "Azayakana Mujun" and think again.

Spoiler

"昏睡" by SCAPEGOAT

"Konsui" by SCAPEGOAT

j7Jb6ng.png

With their sound growing sharper each time, SCAPEGOAT has put out a killer tune yet again. Unlike their previous songs, however, the intensity and beauty of "Konsui" will surely make you listen to it nonstop. Shifting between a heavy and slow tempo, the track manifests the very feeble moment of being torn between life and death. It opens with heavy guitars and the muttering of Haru's sullen voice, giving it a sinister quality. Then, as if a helping hand reaches out to you, the trickling piano miraculously opens a door of light to illuminate a groovy ballad. The mellow guitars and soft bass lines plucked from a double bass barely border on art-kei, and Haru's compelling vocals breathe out a transient repose until all hell breaks loose again. Continuing as they are, I expect that SCAPEGOAT will keep on delivering stellar tracks such as "Konsui".

Spoiler

"青年ナイフ" by ニトロデイ

"Seinen Knife" by Nitro Day

FOjXKaU.png

I bring you another great YouTube find, and one that shows a lot of promise! Nitro Day is a very young indie rock band that began activities just last year. Despite being new to the scene they are already growing fast, and with good reason. "Seinen Knife" demonstrates all of the stunning talent from the young 4-piece band. Right from the beginning, the striking high-pitched guitar notes and smooth bass lines lead you to their robust and dynamic sound. The unique and emotive vocals, which might be too nasal for some, are the front wheel that drives the band's gripping momentum, while the more laid-back drummer keeps them in pace. They are one of those bands that can only make you think 'they’re cool' as you listen in awe. If I have to describe their sound though, they are like an alternative noise rock band with an emo and punk edge. Nitro Day are already receiving comparisons with huge J-indie acts like Number Girl and Bloodthirsty Butchers and could be the next band to lead the increasingly stagnant scene. I insist that you give them a listen now.

Spoiler

"Sorry, I Am Not" by SHE TALKS SILENCE

JXVTwrJ.png

SHE TALKS SILENCE is a minimal noise and shoegaze DIY solo project led by Minami Yamaguchi that began way back around 2009. She's had a few supporting members in the past, but has been working completely solo again starting this year after her drummer left to pursue her own music path. In the early days of SHE TALKS SILENCE, Minami was very rough in her music writing, but has improved greatly over the years with better production as well. The newest song she wrote, "Sorry, I Am Not", comes from an album of the same title released this month, which also compiles her older songs from when the drummer was still around. In "Sorry, I Am Not", Minami sings in her whispery style, as she always does, accompanied by eerie guitar melodies, a constant bass drum, and clattering noises, making it one of her more haunting songs. Still, there remains a tangible sweetness from her gentle voice that floats like an angel's feather amidst the dark atmosphere. I admit that the choppy bass lines do need some polishing, but the simple melodies and mellowness of noise as expressed by SHE TALKS SILENCE may be for you if you've never heard of them.

Spoiler

@qotka's Pick

"雨” by 游彩

"Ame" by Yusai

bHg4ZvA.png

While desperately searching, which is what I call mindlessly droning through YouTube these days, for some new decent angura-kei to heal my weaboo heart, I ran into a band called Zin on several occasions. Zin were a sweet yet hardly memorable mixture of that traditional-Japanese-sound infused rock and oshare-kei pop. This fragile bunch disbanded late last year only to reemerge as Yusai a few months later, sporting a more leathery look and slight stage-name changes.  "Ame" is Yusai's second single and it paves their way into a darker, somewhat more sophisticated form of existence. The intro almost sounds like a generic start to a nu-metal anthem, but it breaks down into a solid, mid-tempo ballad that elegantly mixes in a sequence of electric shamisen chords without making it sound forced or artificially glued onto the track. But what made me go back for a ridiculous number of listens this past month was Rui Amane's laid-back vocals. His voice is not exceptional but he knows how and when to use it, keeping it on the low side for most of the track and saving those miserable, characteristically v-kei wails only for when they're really called for to create maximum impact. Another thing to notice about "Ame" is the great bass work, especially after the first chorus. If you like your bass strong and distinct, I recommend listening to this one with headphones on. Only time will tell what will become of Yusai in the long run, but they're definitely off to an interesting (re)start.  

Spoiler

@emmny's Pick

"虚言癖" by DAMY

"Kyogenheki" by DAMY

KydEJB9.png

I don't think it's any surprise that the more 'heavy' or 'abare' styled bands are more or less flopping lately, as the songwriting tends to be subpar compared to more melody-loving bands. It's a problem DAMY had suffered from in the past as well, with sloppy song structures and messy playing made up for only by the pure aggression and despair conveyed by the band. They have hinted at their abilities with "Obutsu" from their last album, but never quite hit that peak again. Every once in a while, a bop comes out of the indies scene so damn good that everyone--ghost writers, bandmen, fans of other bands--are left clutching their pearls, permanently shook. Much to everyone's surprise, mine included, "Kyogenheki" is that song. They've definitely got a new ghost writer stepped their game up all the way around and wrote a cohesive, heavy-yet-melodic banger that doesn't sound like a DEZERT song but definitely keeps that influence obvious.  The most notable change here is in the percussion and vocals department, with Ryo taking out the over-the-top zetsubou vocalizations and replacing it with Chiaki's signature sing-talk-whatever while still keeping his whine in there. Miharu, once a roadie for DEZERT is starting to show off his chops, with an incredibly rhythmic drum line and sharp little frills and fills that definitely recall his mentor's drumming style. I don't have enough good things to say about this, DAMY have definitely established themselves as serious contenders.

Spoiler

@helcchi's Pick

"⚪︎と×" by ザアザア

"Maru to Batsu" by Xaa-Xaa

O15JIwq.png

Xaa-Xaa are exceptionally adept at writing ballads, with Kazuki's soulful voice compellingly conveying emotion and psychological conflict. Their newest release "Maru to Batsu", continues their creative streak. While "Maru to Batsu" might not be as haunting as 2015's "Yukidokei" nor as sorrowful as last year's "Shizuku", those upbeat tunes still hit you with sentimentality, for they are sure to evoke a wave of nostalgia. Working early 00s melodicism into a repeating chorus that's strongly reminiscent of "endless loop" by ROUAGE, and with a sound that's manifesting in Kagerou's influence, "Maru to Batsu" is an injection of all the feels. Let this song transport you back into the past.

Spoiler

@tetsu_sama69's Pick

"burst" by Zill

4S42gfG.png

I have an extreme weakness when it comes to anything Cra gets herself wrapped up in, even if it usually only ends up being something temporary. I am hoping that Zill is something that ends up having a much longer lifetime, as their first release Adam is already overflowing with potential. All three tracks on the single are very strong, but "burst" ended up getting my attention. It's got a catchy rhythm that gives you such a rush of energy it's hard to sit still while listening to it. The breakdowns give "burst" the chance for you to enjoy a fair bit of headbanging fun between the melodic full course meal that Zill delivers. If you find yourself thirsting for a visual band that relies purely on musical prowess instead of synths and metalcore, then Zill will definitely sate your tastes.

Spoiler

@The Reverend's Pick

"Dystopia -Vanishing Point-" by Boris

w3Dd5gI.png

You know how songs get labeled 'epic' just cause they're kinda longer than normal? Even though Boris often deserve it, I am going to purposefully not levy that trite praise on the penultimate track from their new album Dear (even though it is twelve minutes long!)

The first half of "Dystopia" is really just a chance to set the stage for the climactic guitar solo that makes up the last five minutes of the song. Kind of like someone shushing you because the good part of a a movie they've already seen is coming up soon. And what a guitar solo it is! It sounds like a savant who has never actually touched a musical instrument got handed a guitar; the first couple minutes are full of awkward tone and fits and starts while this hypothetical 6-string genius gets comfortable with the instrument prior to unleashing some magic. But as soon as it comes together, boy is this song powerful! Alternatively, I'd compare it to those baby giraffes that stumble around immediately after being born, but before you know it are galloping confidently with their mothers.

Not quite the usual doom/noise dirge preferred by Boris when they write such long songs, "Dystopia" is certainly full of melancholy, but is also undeniably beautiful. Check this one out if you've been scared off by how *dense* the band usually is!

Spoiler

@CAT5's Pick

"声飛行" by Gutevolk

"koe hikou" by Gutevolk 

ILZq36B.png

It's been seven years since singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist Gutevolk (Hirono Nishiyama) released an album, but she's back in full effect with the leading track from her upcoming release titled, Gutevolk no koe hikou -Hello Tiny People!I Will Catch You-. "koe hikou" sports a prominent, pop-style beat, which instantly sets it apart from the subtle instrumental subtlety of Nishiyama's past works. Outside of that, however; this is vintage Gutevolk. Whispery, dreamlike vocals? Check. Whimsical, childlike melodies? Yep. Colorful, beautifully layered instrumentation? Of course! All the charm of Nishiyama's lighthearted indie-pop has remained perfectly intact over nearly a decade of radio-silence. The album sounds set to be a winner!

Spoiler

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thanks for checking out our recommendations this month! If you have any thoughts on the list, or if you have any recommendations of your own, we look forward to seeing your comments below!

i never thought much about yusai until now. i gotta keep my eyes peeled on them from now on!

haven't given boris' new album that many listens yet, but that track is truly beautiful. i love them long tracks packed with feels.

it was quite an awesome month, especially for vk!

Quick thoughts of a grumpy old man.

Scale:

Yeah

Hmm

Meh

Ugh

"天上天下" by ARCHEMI.

It felt like the song had no meat to it. I normally appreciate a traditional Japanese flavor to my VK, but here is just felt like an attempt to sprinkle some flavor on top of something that was really bland. I guess that saved it from be a "ugh" on my scale though.

"鮮やかな矛盾" by NoGoD

I've been off of the NoGod train for a while now. After a bunch of mediocre releases, I had a hard time caring about following them. While I did enjoy this track, I kind of feel like it also feels a bit like more of the same. Does make me a bit curious to jump back in though.

"昏睡" by SCAPEGOAT

Some parts reminded me of mid 00's numetal inspired VK and the chorus felt reminiscent of Cocklobin, which are two things I would mark as positives. Production sounded shit, but I am hoping that there was just same major compression involved on the youtube upload.

"青年ナイフ" by ニトロデイ

Sounded like I was listening to it with cotton stuffed in to my ears. Also, there is something about the way the vocalist pronounces things that I just can't stand.

"Sorry, I Am Not" by SHE TALKS SILENCE

It felt like this song was trying to go somewhere but it never quite reached its destination. In a crude way of putting it, I feel like this song blue balled me.

"雨” by 游彩

I feel like there is a lot of promise here that isn't realized. I feel like a bit more passion and dynamics in this song could have helped pushed it over the top. I think this song could be a lot of fun live as I think perhaps part of the problem is that it is over produced.

"虚言癖" by DAMY

Been a while since I've heard a song in this style from a band that I didn't know that was actually memorable. This is a song that gets its life from lots of small details - little vocal flairs or riff changes that I wasn't expecting. Going to be checking this band out more in the future.

"⚪︎と×" by ザアザア

I don't think I've ever quite liked Xaa-xaa as much as the rest of the community has, but this song is dope. The the vocals are incredibly emotive without playing things too far in to melodrama. It's also been a while since I've enjoyed a song with a guitar solo.

"burst" by Zill

Not sure if I can get behind the vocals - like, there is some points where I really enjoy them, but others where I feel like they are just too rough. Instrumentally the song is mostly solid, but like the vocals, also has some rough points (like the chorus imo).

"Dystopia -Vanishing Point-" by Boris

Ive always been a fan of Boris's drone/doom work, but even I feel like this track takes perhaps a bit too long to get to its main point. Even when the song hits full stride, I don't find it quite as enjoyable as some of their work in this genre in the past. I find it hard to put in to words, but this one really left me wanting more. Not to say that I dislike this track, which isn't the case....more that it was disappointing. Also, man, do I ever hate how this song ends.

"声飛行" by Gutevolk

This is one of those songs that I don't really enjoy all that much, but I totally see the appeal of even if it isn't for me.

Wow, lot's of good VK tracks! What year is it? XD