Sign in to follow this  
ShanethVarosa

Moi dix Mois - D+SECT

I don't have time to write a track by track right now, but I wanted to get the ball rolling on this topic. Let me just say that I am completely in love with this album and I think they did a superior job in general, but even more superior when compared to other works with Seth as a vocalist.

Just goes to show that cover art is NOT everything.

10/10

Oh, nearly posted this as a new thread, good, that I've looked at the reviews section before posting ^^

In Paradisum [sE]

not so much to say about it, it is okay, but I won't really rate the SE tracks.

The Seventh Veil

In my opinion it sounds like Mana put every Moi dix Mois album in one track. Some nice parts, typical riffs and cembalo.

Nothing really special, but still an okay song.

6/10

Witchcraft

I really like how the song starts. It has a nice atmosphere and, for Moi dix Mois, innovative elements.

I also like that "WITCHCRAAAFT" scream-ish thing xD

8/10

The Sect

I've been waiting for that song since I've seen it on that V-Rock festival vids.

The high scream in the beginning is great, the synths work out well and the riffing is okay, too.

Also to mention is how awesome Seth sounds in this song.

One of the best songs on the whole album.

9/10

Divine Place

At first I didn't like that song, but it grows on me.

Seth's voice sounds great again.

Many changes in speed and atmosphere, which make it enjoyable to me.

The solo is okay, too - it is matching the slower parts of the song, but don't expect some technical stuff, we're talking about Moi dix Mois! It is more like an atmospheric solo.

7.5/10

Pendulum

A very slow, but atmospheric song.

There are some doom-ish riffs in it, but sadly it is kind of sluggish.

Still a good song.

6.5/10

The Pact of Silence[sE]

There is a typical Mana-ish atmosphere in the song, but it seems to be a bit empty.

Ange ~D Side Holy Wings~

A recycled version of one of my fvorite Moi dix Mois songs.

Seth is doing a great job, but the guitars seem to be out of place and so do the background screams.

In addition the transition to the chorus is really poorly done: It is a 1:1 copy of the original song -

it just doesn't harmonize with a lower chorus as it is in this version.

I still like it in some way.

5.5/10

Agnus Dei

Another better song of this release including probably the best chorus on the whole album.

The vocals sound very warm and soft and clear. It has got a fresh sound since the guitars are very low-volumed in this track.

The Focus is on synths and the clear vocals.

I really like it!

9/10

Dispell Bound Sanctum Regnum

A complete ripoff of an own song...

It has got the same structure as Dispell Bound - even the lyrics are very similar

sanctum ---- D

regonum ---- I

sanctum ---- X

regonum ---- DIX

... pretty disappointing song.

3/10

Dead Scape

I think this is the most innovative song Moi dix Mois ever did.

There are bass-only parts in the song and I think they never did something like that :D

On the whole the song is very catchy due to the rhythm and the nice basslines.

One of my favorite songs on the album

9.5/10

Dies Irae

When I listened to the preview I was literally overwhelmed by the song.

It has got nice changes of speed and a very dark atmosphere.

A song which is worth listening.

9/10

Baptisma [sE]

meh, I don't think that this SE was necessary ... I mean, it was barely anything.

OVERALL RATING: 7.5/10

The whole album shows how the band has improved.

Mana doesn't only highlight his guitar and the vocals, but also started to use innovative elements.

You can also hear big improvements in Seth's voice.

On the whole everything harmonizes better than ever, excluding Ange.

D+SECT definitely worth a try.

I've heard the album once, and I'm giving it another spin right now. But so far it's awesome. My favorite tracks are: The Sect, Ange~D side holy wings~, Dead Scape and Dies Irae. Once I listened to it a bit more I'll do a complete track by track review.

I'm liking it so far, but I'm only on track 4.

Edit: I'll give it a 7.5 too. It is good, but not as good as previous albums. Maybe I just need to give it a few more listens??

Okay, home from work, am doing t-b-t:

In Paradisum - I actually love this as an SE. I don't want to rate these tracks, but I can say that Mana consistantly puts really strong SEs as album openers.

The Seventh Veil - I'm in love with, it does sound like classic Moi dix Mois, but with a new twist to it. Better production, better vocals, stronger guitar. I agree with Seiji that it's like every MdM album in one song, but I disagree that it's a bad thing. I just can't get enough 9/10

Witchcraft - I'm liking this one a lot. The screams were so much better in this than they usually are, but I'm feeling like it's another version of Pessimist. Again, not a bad thing. 9/10

The Sect - Fucking fantastic song, truly a masterpiece 10/10

Divine Place - Now is where I'm feeling that the whole Moi dix Mois thing is starting to take effect. How... it's just sort of the same general idea in the songs, it's a brilliant song, like The Seventh Veil, but it's just like a continuation of the song I feel. In any case: It's still a work of art. 9/10

Pendulum - I actually love this. A lot. It seems like a really different route for them and I approve 9/10

The Pact of Silence - SE, nothing really special.

Ange ~D Side Holy Wings~ - Best Seth rerecording ever. Literally. I have never been more impressed with a self-cover song than with this song. 10/10

Agnus Dei - Had a really unusual feel... Like I've never heard Mana try something quite like this one, but he worked it out really well. It's short, sweet to-the-point and addicting. 9/10

Dispe... I mean... Sanctum Regnum - This is the only one that disappointed me. I'm sure I'll like the lyrics because I did with Dispell Bound, but the overall execution of the song is just sort of chant-y and not very... song-y. 7/10

Dead Scape - Fuuuuuuuuu.... Omg. I hated the demo version that's been on youtube for a while, but the actual thing was just FANTASTIC. Really unusual drums to intro the song... Just all out masterpiece 10/10

Dies Irae - This would have been a very successful way to end the album, a very very powerful song. 10/10

Baptisma - Virtually useless as an SE, only real purpose is giving the song 13 tracks instead of 12.

I know a lot of these didn't include what was actually in each song, lol, gimme a break I'm tired. In any case, I felt that they branched out A LOT and tried some new things that sounded great. I've never been so proud of Mana and Seth and K as I am right now.

Through my first listen! I really liked the album, it had a nice atmosphere and sound. There were some minor improvements/new elements but nothing much out of the ordinary...but I guess I like them this way (kinda like Motörhead who don't really change up their sound xD). The occasional dramatic/symphonic-y bits were a nice touch. After the first listen I can't think of any highlight songs (it kinda blended together) but I'll be spinning this a lot in the future!

...around 7/10 or so. Good stuff!

Ok I'll give it a song by song review. Sorry if I make your face hurt because of my tl;dr.

In Paradisum - I usually don't like SE's but Moi dix Mois' are an exception. No rating though (I won't rate SE's)

The Seventh Veil - Love the drums in this song. It makes the song sound "heavy" 7/10

Witchcraft - This song reminds me of the DIXANADU era, love how it slows down in the near end, and the use of industrial elements make it sound better. 7/10

The Sect - Probably one of my favorite songs from the album, love how after the double bass it kicks of with Seth's scream. Like Shaneth said it's a masterpiece, guitars, vocals, bass, and drums fit this song perfectly. 9/10

Divine Place - Love the beginning of the song, it reminds me of MALICE MIZER's album "Bara no Seidou". This is to the album, like XANADU was to DIXANADU. The song itself suppose to be a slow one which is nice. Love it. 7.5/10

Pendulum - Another "slow song" also pretty similar to XANADU. The highlights are the guitar effects throughout the song. 7/10

The Pact Of Silence - Another SE, which reminds me of an intense battle of Good vs. Evil. LOL

Ange~D side holy wings~ - A remake from Ange which was on Moi dix Mois' "DIX INFERNAL" album. TBH I didn't really like the first version, but the remake wow, I loved it the first time I listened to it. Everything sounds 100x much better, plus I personally think that Seth's voice fits the song much better than Juka/Shaura. Out of all the other remakes this is probably my favorite one. 10/10

Agnus Dei - Probably my least favorite song from the entire album. It's not bad, but I just find it really really boring. 6/10

Sanctum Regnum - I like the song, even though it's just like a Dispell Bound pt.2. 6.5/10

Dead Scape - I love the unusual way how the song starts. The combination of drums and bass is really good, and I'm glad for both Hayato, and Sugiya that are getting more recognition. The riff that starts after that is also amazing. The highlight of the song is obviously the Drums and Bass like I stated before. 9.5/10

Dies Irae - I've come to a conclusion that one of my favorite songs from every Moi dix Mois album is the final song of it (excluding the SE's). It happened to me with Dix Infernal, Nocturnal Opera, Beyond The Gate, and DIXANADU, and now with D+SECT. This song reminds me of everything that Moi dix Mois has done, mixed with MM's "Bara No Seidou" Amazing song. 9.5/10

Baptism - The last song is another SE, which is typical from Mana. Good way to end the album

Overall: When i first listened to the album I felt that something was missing, and some songs didn't catch my attention, only the remake of Ange. But after listening to it more properly, and with earphones on, I can easily say it can compete with every other Moi dix Mois album, because it reminds me of everything Moi dix Mois has done before, along with amazing bass lines, and a more MALICE MIZER feeling. Mana has done it again. One of my top albums of 2010.

9/10

The second song is called The Seventh Veil, the Seventh Tier is an -oz- song. Ange was on Dix Infernal not Nocturnal Opera

Wait wtf? I thought I had corrected it, because when I was writing I realized my fail about the Nocturnal Opera/Dix Infernal thing. Thanks for pointing it out again, and about The Seventh Veil/Tier, that was my own n00bness thanks <3

Nice album, song by song just flows right.

May be a little repetitive here and there,

and to some that new with them, this could make them bored.

I don't know how Mana can manage to make some sounds distinctively

even after all these years, not even once sounded like he have any influence from outside.

Was he just lived in a cave or something? :lol:

As for me, from first SE to another SE at the end which was very climatic.

I makes me imagined about a movie, a colossal movie.

Where Mana finally stole away the throne from the wicked :mrgreen:

Awesome!

May be a little repetitive here and there

the same for me. nice album but made me think "this sounds like a -Dix Nocturnal Infernal Opera- remake".

c'mon, a couple of years have passed and they still sound exactly the same? it's not bad but i expected something more experimental/evolved.

7/10

the same for me. nice album but made me think "this sounds like a -Dix Nocturnal Infernal Opera- remake".

c'mon, a couple of years have passed and they still sound exactly the same? it's not bad but i expected something more experimental/evolved.

7/10

Why does every band always have to change? In my opinion their music is good as it is^^

If they changed we'd need a new band doing this kind of music~

1.In Paradisum [sE]

Opening Track an instrumental one at that, these aren't really my thing. Anyway this one kind of gives a feel for what the album will be like as a whole.

2. The Seventh Veil

I didn't listen to the album in order but I have to say this song really caught me off guard. There's a couple of parts in the instrumentals that reminisce older songs like Perish and Detresse, but everything else is completely fresh and new. I love Seth's vocals in this one, Hayato really cuts loose on the drums. Best word to describe the song is Exciting, bad ass playing by everyone and the vocals are pretty varied throughout the song.

3. Witchcraft

This song reminds me of the way Exclude from the previous album was structured. Lots of harpsichord and opera vocals in this one but that's a good thing. Toward the end it really starts to differentiate itself from the Exclude similarities. A solid song but nothing that's gonna blow you out of the water.

4. The Sect

Ah the Sect, to be fair I heard this song along with Dead Scape b4 the album release so I've had longer to listen it. Anyway as of now this is tied for my favorite song on the album. The guitar rift in this one reminds me of Vizard a whole lot, that's about the only similarity to the old songs. I pretty much love everything about this song, Seth surprised me and it looks like he can actually do screams. Usually I feel the addition of english lyrics is out of place but in this one it works well.

5. Divine Place

A slower tempo song,but definitely not soft. The structure of the song is very refreshing and exactly what I'd expect from Mana, the vocal rate fits perfectly with the instruments. Mana and K's guitar playing goes perfectly with the harpsichord and Seth's voice. This is one of those songs that will definitely grow on a person.

6. Pendulum

Another holy rock ballad like Xanadu. This one has an almost creepy feel to it, makes me think of a castle on a dark knight. Sugiya's bass really stands out on this one, drums are a little light, and guitar is there but really the bass takes the stage on this one.

7. The Pact of Silence [sE]

The interlude and of course another instrumental. It fits right after listening to Pendulum, otherwise I'd skip it on shuffle.

8. Ange ~D Side Holy Wings~

When I saw the title I just hoped it was what I thought, the original Ange is my favorite Moi Dix Mois song. Played it and "tenshi no hane wa ima hajimete no kotoba o" I was just shocked with joy. This one ties with the Sect for my fav from the album. Onto the review,this song is pretty fast paced, old style Moi Dix Mois nothing too crazy but pretty wild.Almost constant drums, and badass guitar shredding. The new version adds some english screams which fit perfectly. I was skeptical about how it'd turn out with Seth instead of Juka, but I'm pleased. My only real gripe is that the way it was sung was TOO much like Juka in terms of structure, it sounded like Seth singing a Juka song, rather than a complete overhaul like "Last Temptation" and "Neo Pessimist"

9. Agnus Dei

I can say this one doesn't remind me of any of the old MDM songs, the very beginning has a hint of Malice Mizer (makes me think of madrigal for some reason)in it aside from that its a whole new beast. A soft but pleasant song, pretty much all about the vocals.

10. Sanctum Regnum

This is probably the only song on the album I can flat out say I don't like. Its' like Mad Ingrain with Immortal Madness, just a filler song/crowd motivator at lives.

11. Dead Scape

The beginning reminds me of a sped up Perish, again Sugiya shows us what he can do on the bass. Hayato's drums are pretty catch, and it sounds like K joins Seth in some team screaming. Originally I didn't like this song but then around the middle it turns it around, Mana, K and Sugiya dole out some of their best stuff at this point. In the end Seth's vocals are really what really made me give the song a second chance and it did "Satisfy".

12. Dies Irae

Probably the most anticipated song because I heard of it being played at live shows years ago. The intro guitars are very "Unmoved" . The bass kinda takes a back seat on this one to let us all remember what makes rock kick so much ass the guitar. At times the drums take me back to "front et braiser" but it might be my imagination. I had to tip my hat off to Seth on this one, probably the most of his vocal range I've seen in his Moi Dix Mois career.

13. Baptisma [sE]

The outro starts off like a heartbeat and waves crashing, then shifts to a church for a second and that's it. Again a skip since its like 30seconds long.

Closing thoughts:

While not every song made me crap my pants in amazement I'm still very excited and pleased with the album as a whole. Mana and K haven't lost it at all on the guitars and are as badass as ever. Sugiya and Hayto have really sharpened their skills since Dixanadu, top notch. And I really gotta give Seth the cake, I'm a super Juka fan but Seth really gained major points in my book from this album.

Overall 9/10, not perfect but definitely awesome.

oh and lol at seji's "dispell bound".

7/10

Why does every band always have to change? In my opinion their music is good as it is^^

If they changed we'd need a new band doing this kind of music~

Exactly. I agree that bands should experiment instead of making the same things over and over again, but some bands just are fine the way they are. And those new bands doing these things wind up trying to imitate the old ones and failing horribly.

Masterpice , Mana never let me down and Seth to

This goes my fav Cd of a yer category

10 / 10

I'm too lazy to write a review t-b-t, but what can I say is, that it's the best CD of MDM by this time. Mana's never dissapointing and didn't run out of ideas, how to make his music clear and a little less symphonic. Like the new sound, hope they'll go this way in music.

10/10

The second song is called The Seventh Veil, the Seventh Tier is an -oz- song. Ange was on Dix Infernal not Nocturnal Opera

Wait wtf? I thought I had corrected it, because when I was writing I realized my fail about the Nocturnal Opera/Dix Infernal thing. Thanks for pointing it out again, and about The Seventh Veil/Tier, that was my own n00bness thanks

Haha no problem! I was writing that from my iPod, so I hoped I wasn't coming across as blunt and douchey, but those fucking keyboards are hard to type on 0_o

Wait wtf? I thought I had corrected it, because when I was writing I realized my fail about the Nocturnal Opera/Dix Infernal thing. Thanks for pointing it out again, and about The Seventh Veil/Tier, that was my own n00bness thanks <3

Haha no problem! I was writing that from my iPod, so I hoped I wasn't coming across as blunt and douchey, but those fucking keyboards are hard to type on 0_o

Nah that's ok, as I said I thought I had corrected my error, but it looks like I didn't lol

Listened to it a few times. I really like it even if a few songs are hard to tell apart from each other. I'm glad it's more guitar focused than the other albums have been, while still being Moi Dix Mois. Well worth the wait and import tariffs.

edit: Ultra-lengthy review / description / para-para thing : http://seraphimvisualkei.blogspot.com/2 ... dsect.html

Sign in to follow this