Sign in to follow this  
beni

beni's Best of 2015

These selections of mine are ones that have not been mentioned before on any project of the ORZ, so not all of my favourites are gathered here (save for a few select song favourites from some albums that have been previously mentioned in BNTs). To check out the rest I enjoyed, see the Staff album selections.

Because I have so many picks for this year since I got to a lot more music than in 2014, I'm going to be posting a handful of releases one by one within two days, preferably in a weeks amount of time. That's 70 picks! After picking out from what I had gotten to throughout the year and enjoyed, I ended up with a good 112 releases I adored from this rather 'weak' year alone (laugh with me, go ahead!), so I just HAD to feature an honorable mentions for the lot I was forced to remove to whittle down the ever growing list.

Be sure to look out for the bold yellow text = HONORABLE MENTIONS and bold red text = TOP TIER ALERTS (top tier means I found the whole release to be perfect) whilst you're at it! Every release has bolded tracks that indicate my favorite songs on the particular release and a shortish description of the sound/genres.

This list isn't ranked but in alphabetical order. Click the first spoiler tag for my honorable mentions or don't if you want to check them out with the list when they're called out in the blurbs for references. Not all will be commented on though!

Without further ado, enjoy~

Honorable mentions

(((さらうんど))) (((Surround))) - See you, Blue
BILLIE IDLE - IDLE GOSSIP 
Crystal Kay - Shine
Czecho No Republic - Santa Fe
Jin Akanishi - Me
関ジャニ∞ (Kanjani8) - 関ジャニ∞の元気が出るCD!!
家入レオ (Leo Ieiri) – 20
黒崎真音 (Maon Kurosaki) - Mystical Flowers
 Mr.Children - REFLECTION
Noah - Sivutie
乃木坂46  (Nogizaka46) - Toumei na Iro (透明な色)
POLTA - SAD COMMUNICTION 
Secret Messenger - ロスト・プリズム (Lost Prism)
 Superfly - White 
X4 - Xvision
[.que] - Brilliant Hopes
fhána - Outside of Melancholy
カフカ (kafuka) - fantasy
miwa - ONENESS
ヨルニトケル (yorunirokeru) - replay/dilemma

AKB48 - ここがロドスだ、ここで跳べ! (Koko ga Rhodes da, Koko de Tobe!)

51nqM9ANq9L._SY355_.jpg

This was a tough choice between AKB48 and 乃木坂46 (Nogizaka48)'s first ever full-length album, but overall, AKB48 proved they had a lot more to offer. With both major girl groups having two discs for their album releases, it was AKB48 that had more of a consistency and enjoyment in its entire lengthy run. Sure, it'll probably burn out even the most dedicated of fans, but this album is chock full of idol goodness, and non stop at that; from their super addicting singles that beg you to be repeated to some sweet new tracks that doesn't lose that star quality, usually ranging from their happy-go-lucky party pop to soft, cute ballads. This release by itself certainly shows who the reigning princesses of idol are. It's an offering you can't refuse!

Disc and its tracks highlights:

Disc 1. 希望的リフレイン, 君の微笑みを夢に見る, プラネタリウム , ハート・エレキ, 選んでレインボー, 恋とか…, 愛の存在

AKINO with bless4 - Decennia

81DNfM7ok1L._SX355_.jpg

If you're into your anime and strong female vocals, AKINO with bless4 better be in your library already! AKINO is a power house, much like runner up Superfly is, and it's this which gives AKINO with bless4's music a kick ass sound to it as well as a stand out factor within the typical anime/Jpop scene that catches you instantly against the more sugar coated anime openings. Even if you're not into this genre of music, it's likely you'll be won over by AKINO's relentless splendor (just see the PV under the cut!).

Album highlights:
君の神話~アクエリオン第二章, 月光シンフォニア, Genesis of LOVE~愛の起源, 海色, The Ghost of You, 雪のように, EXTRA MAGIC HOUR

[Alexandros] - ALXD

51zFFtMtglL._SX355_.jpg

Accurate English, an American like sound and rocking anthem tunes. Those are only a few selling points when it comes to [Alexandros] (formally known as [Champagne]). After witnessing them live, I gave the band’s latest album a go and even purchased it to do so. When they said they wanted to take over America next, I can really see it happening with this release. ALXD really takes me back to my old taste in American bands such as Simple Plan and Boys Like Girls, most notably thanks to Kawakami’s youthful and energetic vocals and dancefloor/club sounds. If you’re looking for something nostalgic if you were also into your American rock boy bands, then I can’t suggest this enough.  If not, still give this enjoyable album a try anyway!

Album highlights:

ワタリドリ, ワンテンポ遅れたMonster ain't dead, Famous Day, Adventure, can't explain, Oblivious, Leaving Grapefruits, Run Away, Coming Summer

あまざらし (amazarashi) - あまざらし 千分の一夜物語 スターライト (Senbun no Ichiya Monogatari Starlight)

61KVCeVeZ%2BL._SX355_.jpg

This group new to anyone? Let’s change that if so! amazarashi has been on the end of a lot of positive reception with their way of playing. In lives, they’ll play behind a screen that projects images that go along with the songs they’re performing. It’s been said that that gives it a film watching feel, and something you don’t hear that often, if not at all. This hype has yet to die down. Having done the ending theme for Tokyo Ghoul  √A and the opening theme for Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace, amazarashi are surely gathering many followers. Their first ever acoustic release is even better than the rest of their works to me. Beautiful slowed down melodies and Akita‘s emotional, storytelling delivery all make for a magical experience. Let’s just say they’re totally worth the attention.

Album highlights:

TOP TIER ALERT

雨ニモ負ケズ (amenimomakez) - 結い (Yui)

81ayZFfFSrL._SY355_.jpg

These guys were a new discovery to me overall, and I’m glad I happened to try them out. Probably one of the most outstanding releases for me this year, amenimomakez is exactly what they say on the tin. Being self-described as “emotional piano rock band”, amenimomakez excels at making terrific and beautiful melodies, topped with a perfect pitched female vocalist.  This is only their second album, and I’m sure they’ve got plenty more to offer us.

Album highlights:
TOP TIER ALERT

Atlantis Airport - A[ ]Passport-EP+2

81PjayEmfSL._SX355_.jpg

Someone pinch me, it's like I'm in a dream! That's what Sonezaki's vocals does to me. She's one of the more distinguishable voices within indie pop, something quite similar to that of school food punishment, both vocally and musically. You can see the attraction now, right? It's worth bringing up that their other mini-album too, entitled a [360°] Cosmic FlightBoth are so flawless, but I wanted to avoid putting in two albums from the artist but that is also a must listen! I only decided to go with A[ ]Passport-EP+2 a because it has just one more track in it to keep us happy, and the longer a perfect release is, the happier I am! A totally worthwhile discovering of 2015!

Mini-album highlights:

TOP TIER ALERT

BENI - Undress

91t0tmv26bL._SX355_.jpg

Just missing out on this spot was Crystal Kay. With an extremely mainstream American sound throughout, BENI showcases her change and development in her musical adventuring with Undress. With a big focus on R&B and pop sounds, including fluent English lyrics, one of my favourite lullaby/ballad tracks of this year and even a Christmas song, Undress should have been on your want list this year! 

Album highlights:
DO IT RIGHT, フォエバ, DEEP SWEET EASY, BABY, ZERO, Fun Fun Christmas

BIGMAMA - The Vanishing Bride

61iv-2jvVgL._SY355_.jpg

Some good old rocking rock now! BIGMAMA caught my attention this year because of the gorgeous album cover and inviting album name, and them being here can only mean they didn't disappoint me one bit. With plenty of stand out points and fourteen tracks long, BIGMAMA show they can make beautiful melodies along with a hard hitting chorus to compliment the verses. Because of this, there's simply too much to enjoy in just one album so don't let this one vanish!

Album highlights:

Sweet Dreams(bittersweet), A KITE, ワンダーラスト, ワンダーラスト, Lovers in a Suitcase, INVIS, Royalize, Theater of Mind, Why You Refrigerate Me?, alongside, 神様も言う通りに

BiSH - Brand-new idol SHiT

71s7rM1-mnL._SX355_.jpg

Beating BILLIE IDLE out on this position by a small margin is the newly formed idol parody group BiSH! Both girl groups have connections to the now dissolved, similar group BiS, both take on an 'anti-idol' quality much like all the young ladies have been doing since they got together. With BiSH having the same interesting premise, I was excited for their upcoming debut album, and as expected, it was totally worth the anticipation. With super catchy tunes that rival each and every idol group known to man, BiS are setting up to be the not-so-idol-or-very-much-idol(?) girl group we all better be looking out for! You go girls!

Album highlights:

BiSH-星が瞬く夜に, MONSTERS, Is this call??, サラバかな, DA DANCE!!, ぴらぴろ, Lonely girl, HUG ME

ボンジュール鈴木 (bonjour Suzuki) - さよなら。また来世で (Sayonara. In addition, in the afterlife)

81SgS46VoAL._SY355_.jpg

Pretty much the most unique breakthrough of 2015 for me. If you hadn’t guessed already by her stage name, bonjour Suzuki does a mixture of English, Japanese AND French singing, making it an instant attractive point to her work. With two Eps and a single as the opening for the anime ‘Yuri Kuma Arashi’, bonjour Suzuki is having a brilliant year whist not ever losing her gleam. It was a difficult single selection for her with her slowly growing discography, but of course, the longest releases are always the best if you ask me (more tracks, what more could you ask for in a great release!?). bonjour Suzuki is literally a dream come true, with gorgeous whispery vocals and music similar to the best of what daoko had to offer, rich, fantastical and lullaby like.

Album highlights:

TOP TIER ALERT

Tune in on Sunday for the second batch~

Nice list and format! (still a bit perplexed at how you centered the spoilers)

Kind of pleasantly surprised to see Atlantis Airport here. I knew you liked them, but not this much. Good choice, though - they're really promising! Kind of reminds me of mid 00's J-indie-pop bands.

You're also right, I'd never heard of Controversial Spark, but they sound pretty pleasant. May have to check them out.

Couldn't resist including BENI, huh, @beni? XD

Looking forward to your second post!

CHiCO with HoneyWorks - 世界はiに満ちている (Sekai wa i ni Michiteiru)

81wWrmBiOvL._SX355_.jpg

The genres Vocaloid/Utaite (literally Japanese Youtuber singers who cover songs, see Nico Nico Douga) I hold close to my heart, and CHiCO with HoneyWorks have been one the most promising groups in this area of Jmusic. Secret Messenger, who are also a doujin (self publishing bodies of original content/based on original material) group JUST missed out on this spot because this release is just too perfect to compete with. The circle HoneyWorks has teamed up with the utaite CHiCO plenty of times, thankfully resulting in an album with them teamed up and just CHiCO dominating all tracks instead of their usual compilation albums. CHiCO's cute and lush vocals does wonders to the soul, and with the team that is HoneyWorks, they pull off an incredibly gorgeous full length album with nothing but perfection running throughout the entire course!

Album highlights:
TOP TIER ALERT

Controversial Spark - Angels of a Feather

51PpcZL353L._SY355_.jpg

I challenge our beloved indie head @CAT5 to see if he knows this name! Probably the most obscure of my list, Controversial Spark's mini-album totally outshone other indie goodies like POLTA, both being new discoveries to me. Even with autotune in a few tracks, Konore's sweet yet nasally vocal delivery is something too attractive for words, and against the other two male background vocals that sound more mature and folk like, it makes for a bewitching setup. For more information on the interesting band, check out this short but sweet article, and give the song below a go while doing so!

Mini-album highlights:
TOP TIER ALERT

三浦大知 (Daichi Miura) - Fever

61V0hXmg3tL._SY355_.jpg

Let's get our groove on now, shall we? Like I had said in my blurb with his single song "music" a few months back, Miura was a name I wasn't interested in for a while. That was until my ears opened up to the song that was my blurb pick and last track of his newest album (see PV below). Because of my sudden adoration for that song, I decided I'd give a full album of his a go. And lucky me! Turned out he had a new one out this year and thank god I gave him a chance. With plenty of well done dance tunes and a rather dashing voice, this album gets even me up and moving!

Album highlights:
SING OUT LOUD, Welcome!, Unlock, IT'S THE RIGHT TIME, Anchor, Color Me Blue, Supa Dupa Paper Plane, Testify, ふれあうだけで ~Always with you~, music

Div - SECRET

51RWCLFGdhL._SY355_.jpg

Aww man, this album! It was the surprise VK hit for me this year, I wasn't expecting to dig it as much as I did. I found their first album underwhelming, but I warmed up to SECRET like a treat. Electronic, autotune, growls, distorted shrieks, melodic verses, gorgeous choruses, high pitched vocals; Div really outdid themselves with this one for me. It ends all too quickly for a fourteen track album!  I'm sure I'll keep falling deeper for this release, and hopefully all you guys have gotten to it already.

Album highlights:
TOP TIER ALERT

FLiP - BIRTH

61ecHZZf9lL._SX355_.jpg

It really was scary hearing of FLiP changing their sound, but once you accept it you become to appreciate it, even more than their previous works, dare I admit it. Even if you look at this mini-album as FLiP or not, it can’t be denied that it’s a pretty damn neat package. FLiP has really done it with the transition in sound, despite them passing as a Japanese equivalent of British girl groups like Little Mix, BIRTH is like a guilty pleasure when you think of similarities. In the end, what you’ve got is an undoubtedly impressive progression in sound change that IS a success. Well done, ladies.

Mini-album highlights:

JEREMY, YOU, DREAM, LET IT DIE ~K & Q~,小さな恋のうた (STUDIO LIVE VER.)

FOLKS - SNOWTOWN

41HsXnhkM6L._SX355_.jpg

Nothing better this time of year, right? I had tried their Newtown mini-album from last year but that didn’t leave a lasting impression on me unlike SNOWTOWN. There’s pretty much something everyone can enjoy in this little release: male and female vocals, autotune, instrumental, electronic, a power ballad - and it just works in each and every track while also being different enough to be memorable on their own. Super impressed after not being so with their last efforts. Go get this right now!

Mini-album highlights:
TOP TIER ALERT

浮遊スル猫 (Fuyusuruneko) - 浮遊スル猫 (MuWoToku) 

61vj82DB3sL._SX355_.jpg

Give it up for the coolest chicks on the block. Their music makes me think of a mix of TsuShiMaMiRe and MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS when they’re going ham. It’s super grower material and has a sweet balance of quieter tunes and the exploding ones. I can only wish for more from them as this is only their second mini album. 

Mini-album highlights:
TOP TIER ALERT

グッドモーニングアメリカ (Good Morning America) - グッドモーニングアメリカ (GOOD MORNING AMERICA) 

81h8AaIhdqL._SY355_.jpg

Such energizing goodness for each and every morning! These guys really remind me of The Mirraz but more straightforward and not as hysteric, with plenty of addicting like anthems similar to how previously mentioned [Alexandros] sounds with their album. GOOD MORNING AMERICA is a whole bag of fun, and they've totally won me over as a new fan. Keep all these good feelings coming, lads!

Album highlights:
サイダーでも飲んで, オールグリーン, 南風と太陽, 低気圧の夜, ハローハローハロー

Hauptharmonie - Hauptharmonie

61naJcgak0L._SY355_.jpg

Something of a rather diamond in the rough within idol standards, Hauptharmine was a real sudden find, surprise and treat. These youngsters could even pass as a rock girl group if they wanted. There isn’t your typical overly poppy melodies anywhere within the lengthy sixteen tracked album, but an outstanding amount of variety and lovely beats that'll keep you coming back for more.

Album highlights:
映ゆ, (the garden was alive with) all sorts of flowers, Ictus of Sun, My Tiny Baby, 瞬きのsummer end, ボウ, オブスキュアから愛を数えて, Calmmaze, HER HERB'S HARVEST, Love likes a mille-feuille

ハジ→ (Hazzie) - ハジベスト。 (Hazzie best)

91tzzxD7fgL._SY355_.jpg

Call it a miracle and whatnot, but this compilation from rapper Hazzie is probably the starting point for me diving into more Japanese rap. Mostly excelling in emotional ballads, Hazzie makes both his solo tracks and duets stand out with simple and accessible beats. Most notable is his charismatic voice, which I find truly heart-warming. If you have also been unsure where to start in Japanese rap/hip hop, then I really encourage giving Hazzie a go some time.

Compilation highlights:
君と。, For You, 記念日。feat. miwa, Only One., あなた。, 人生は素晴らしい物語。, 指輪と合鍵。feat. Ai from RSP, sumire., 卒業サヨナラ。

How am I only seeing this now??

I see you have good picks here like Alexandros, amazarashi and DIV.

Btw, never expect Good Morning America to be good, I will check them soon.

where is sekai no owari miss? XD

beni improving herself with codes

Couldn't resist including BENI, huh, @beni? XD (2)

Nice list and format! (still a bit perplexed at how you centered the spoilers)

Kind of pleasantly surprised to see Atlantis Airport here. I knew you liked them, but not this much. Good choice, though - they're really promising! Kind of reminds me of mid 00's J-indie-pop bands.

You're also right, I'd never heard of Controversial Spark, but they sound pretty pleasant. May have to check them out.

Couldn't resist including BENI, huh, @beni? XD

Looking forward to your second post!

LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID YOU JINXED IT WITH MY SECOND POST. XD I'm lucky for once with formatting lol, just centering everything. X'D

Neat comparison, I just couldn't find any bad track on either mini-album, super impressed by them. Hopefully they do a full length album which is just as perfect as both!

Awww yeah, giving the indie rarez King something new. ;3

You know it bb!

I hope you find something new with this next post or see anything you also liked. x3

How am I only seeing this now??

I see you have good picks here like Alexandros, amazarashi and DIV.

Btw, never expect Good Morning America to be good, I will check them soon.

where is sekai no owari miss? XD

beni improving herself with codes

Couldn't resist including BENI, huh, @beni? XD (2)

I'M SO GLAD SEEING COMMENTS FROM YOU GUYS. ;; 

Waaaaaay, glad I'm pleasing you lot! GOOD MORNING AMERICA was a surprise hit for me, I had never been interested in trying them out until recently. Just randomly, aha.

Releases that I did blurbs for won't be listed on here because, even though I obviously adored them, I already have 70 picks and didn't want to go too overboard. xp BLESS YOU FOR NOTICING, I'M SHOCKED THIS LAYOUT EVEN WORKS APART FROM A FEW HICK UPS PLEASE IGNORE THEM. XD lmaooo, BENI is my spirit animal, cmon, how could I leave her out!?

BENI IM SO HAPPY TO SEE FOLKS HERE YES

did you listen to blue & yellow toooooo?

also fuyusuruneko!!!naisu

They really impressed me! That whole mini-album was spot on track by track, such a delight. blue & yellow? They have another release apart from the two mini-albums? : o So happy seeing another fuyusuruneko fan. x'3 You go gf!

Atlantis Airport. Such a refreshing sound! I loved their stuff this year too. Everything about their sound is just so cool and effortless I don't even have words! And happy to see you warmed up to the DIV album. They're a really solid band, and this album was great. I was only mad at it for half of the songs being pre-released as singles. But I still loved those singles. lol.  And FOLKS!! Their songs as so beautiful, love love love~~~~. 

Third batch!

H△G - Everlasting Night of Teenage Girls

itc282073.jpg
Just leaked a few days before 2015 ended, @CAT5 and myself knew this'd be right up my alley. The school uniform attire works in the band’s favor, making them come off as a fictional band in a school movie/series, and I personally love that theme they appear to be playing off. And they really do sound fitting. They might not be anything special, but their album is very well produced, inspired, and pulled off. Accessible song writing and band playing makes this one an easy listen and neat little find before the end of the year came. Be sure to also check out mili (who is just as highly recommended as H△G), who did a project with these guys and came out with two releases alongside them called H△G×Mili and H△G×Mili vol.2, as well as a cover of the main track of Everlasting Night of Teenage Girls.

Album highlights:
星見る頃を過ぎても, カラフル, パラロジクスノート, forget-me-not, 星見る頃を過ぎても(English Version)

I Don't Like Mondays. - TOKYO

61mnNNOBCjL._SY355_.jpg

Ladies, let me introduce you to the hottest boys on the block, I Don’t Like Mondays.! Literally. Their motto is “BE PLAY BOY”, and their mission is to "create party music for Tokyo’s it girls". And yes, I can safely say they DO have it. Easily out beating the runners up for this category, X4 and Kanjani8, I Don’t Like Mondays. has a really modern and Britpop sound to them. I’m sure they’d me the Japanese One Direction if they wanted to be, but hopefully that never happens... It can’t be denied they have that appeal they’re aiming for, and with music totally capturing their whole disco/dance image, both fast and slow paced, and with Yu’s (who I swear is a Jdrama actor, look at that handsome face~) so close to perfection English, they’re sure to keep stealing hearts not just in Tokyo.

Album highlights:
FIRE, WE ARE YOUNG, SING, FEELING, LOVE YOURSELF, Super Special, Perfect Night, ROAD

かもしれん (Kamoshiren) - May I join you?

81dP2rcAQtL._SX355_.jpg

Something rather obscure now. Kamoshiren have got a grudge edge to their sound, making it quite dark, which is helped by their vocalist's rough, pitchy yet deep voice, which holds the magic for me. Not only does the band have splendid melodies, but each song is different and a lot of fun can be had from it. Slower sounds have a creepy tone to them while quicker ones have another genre added to them, such as punk, funk and jazz. A promising band!

Mini-album highlights:
あいらびゅう, 斜めの物語, スター トレイン, 猫のサニー

KANA-BOON - TIME

51A2ZdFHsaL._SX355_.jpg
Bless this band. These guys are probably the one group in my list that I first said ‘nah’ to when I first heard them. It was until their opening theme song for Naruto Shippuden, that many deem to be the best, most fitting track for Naruto (which is certainly saying something) that I gave in to them. Because of that, it was obvious I’d have to give their latest offerings a go, which was TIME. Taniguchi‘s vocals are, at times, sleazy sounding or even quickened for almost a rap like delivery and even in a female register, they're all very nice touches to the rather typical rock sound overall and shows potential to be the biggest they can be. The tempos in my favourite songs totally deserve to be drooled over, and while there's not much diversity in the album, it still manages to keep you listening. When KANA-BOON has a good melody going, they really can pull of something gold.

Album highlights:
ターミナル, 結晶星, クラクション, フルドライブ, 生きてゆく, スコールスコール, 愛にまみれて, シルエット, スノーグローブ, シルエット, スノーグローブ, パレード

西野 カナ (Kana Nishino) - Secret Collection ~RED~

81m0%2BoWp9IL._SX355_.jpg

Even with a two disc compilation and only four new songs, this little lady outdid all the Jpop princesses for the crown this year, from Abe Mao to miwa and Leo Ieiri. That definitely goes for the super disappointments too, like Kurosaki Maon, fhána and GARNiDELiA. Nishino has had a VERY good year, with an expecting chart topping single that stayed in the running for many weeks, and another successful compilation release. RED just edged its way past GREEN to be the better compilation because of the two new songs being the better quality. All of Nishino's songs really are too enjoyable all together. Alas, we don’t have another new album from her, but getting treated with the best she’d had to offer is always worth time and expense. Nishino is a sweetheart within the Jpop scene, and if you’ve never tried her out, I can’t recommend her enough. Combining a variety of sounds even in her biggest songs, from R&B to your typical sugary coated Jpop goodies, she has the voice of an angel and music you just can’t say no to.

Compilation highlights:
TOP TIER ALERT

神田莉緒香 (Kanda Rioka) - TOKYO/OSAKA!

71NRKLxsNlL._SX355_.jpg

Cutie alert! Kanda was a new discovery for me, and I believe a new artist at that too. Her indie and folky mini-album with a few electronic implements here and there which all makes for some top stuff. She has also recently released a full length album yet to leak, so if this also isn’t enough to fill you up either, then get straight to nabbing as much of her work as you can!

Mini-album highlights:
TOKYO/OSAKA, オーケイ, ×, Have a good one

降谷建志 (Kenji Furuya) - Everything becomes the music

81QgnbxGSRL._SX355_.jpg

Furuya is the leader of the rap rock group Dragon Ash, who have been around for a good 16 years, and went through many changes in sound. But as a new solo artist, Furuya has a more straightforward rock/pop sound. With vocals and English sung lyrics similar to that of GALNERYUS, Furuya's clear and strong voice stands out, especially in his ballads which is anything but bland. With only two songs actually being put out previously from the album, and this being Furuya’s first ever solo release, there’s plenty to discover and enjoy in this one.

Album highlights:
Angel Falls, Swallow Dive, Colors, Wish List, Fabulous Town, One Voice

上北 健 (Kenka Mikita) - SCOOP

8161D5gDNCL._SY355_.jpg

After my disappointment in Kenshi Yonezu's newest album, I wanted something to fill the void it left. Income Kenka Mikita. His voice might not be as distinctive as Yonezu's, but the sound is quite similar, with something reminiscent to the whole Utaite scene. Each song is totally addicting, with some standing out above the rest thanks to certain dominating riffs or uplifting choruses. SCOOP was a really pleasant surprise, and something I know I'll be returning to many times with a wide smile on my face.

Album highlights:
TOP TIER ALERT

坂口喜咲 (Kisa Sakaguchi) - 朝が壊れてもあいしてる

61d3nZ3Is9L._SY355_.jpg
I’m seriously super surprised by how much I dig this album. Sakaguchi’s signature whispery yet raspy and baby like vocals are a delight and a shout out to other artists such as Saeko Oomori and Shiina Ringo who also have this distinctive gruffness to their voice. Sakaguchi actually beat Saeko Oomori this year for me when it came to the more obscure/weirder side of Jpop, including Zombie-chang, Rei and Tamate Hatsumi. Sakaguchi's album was a hell of a trip, but in the best way.

Album highlights:
DO-SHE-YOU, ハト, こんいろ, 壊れたサマー, ミーはでくのぼう

倖田來未 (Koda Kumi) - WALK OF MY LIFE

41hCWJ4gX1L._SX355_.jpg
Attitude, sass and spice. That’s totally what you’re always going to get when it comes to Kumi. Leaving both Namie Amuro and Ayumi Hamasaki in the dust as the Jpop Queen for 2015, let us take that journey with Kumi on her WALK OF MY LIFE. What really wins me over with this is the second half of the album. It’s so top notch I forgive the first half of the album, but that does thankfully get better on the ears the more you hear it. You really can’t help but adore Kumi, so this is an easy ‘yes’ for this album.

Album highlights:
HOTEL, Gimme U, MONEY IN MY BAG, PIECE IN THE PUZZLE, LIFE so GOOD!!, WALK OF MY LIFE

Fuyusuruneko is a good pick. I feel like that band is really starting to come into their own.

Also, I was right about the H△G album? Does that mean I'm getting better at recognizing your taste? ;)

Also, I was right about the H△G album? Does that mean I'm getting better at recognizing your taste? ;)

You've already got it nailed, cmon~ You know my taste better than I do!

Kanda isn't that new artist btw, she was previously part of Goose house until spring of 2013. And she's been releasing solo stuff since 2012. Though she started as SSW (singer-songwriter) in 2008 before joining Goose house in 2010, but then mostly doing just live house stuff.

I'm a big fan of Dragon Ash, but somehow I completely forgot Kj released a solo album this year. Really need to get around the listening to that eventually. "Vocals similar to GALNERYUS" has me feeling a little scared though...

Nice to see GMA on your list as well. I watched the videos they released, but I still haven't gotten around to the rest of that album yet either, so it's good to hear that it's worth checking out.

Kanda isn't that new artist btw, she was previously part of Goose house until spring of 2013. And she's been releasing solo stuff since 2012. Though she started as SSW (singer-songwriter) in 2008 before joining Goose house in 2010, but then mostly doing just live house stuff.

Thanks for that clarification. I hadn't found much information on her at all. I'll remember about that Goose house connection for sure, that's cool.

I'm a big fan of Dragon Ash, but somehow I completely forgot Kj released a solo album this year. Really need to get around the listening to that eventually. "Vocals similar to GALNERYUS" has me feeling a little scared though...

Nice to see GMA on your list as well. I watched the videos they released, but I still haven't gotten around to the rest of that album yet either, so it's good to hear that it's worth checking out.

That comparion should be taken with a grain of salt, lmao. It reminds me of how GALNERYUS' vocalist sings but it's totally a softer sound. XD Really need to do the opposite and check out Dragon Ash!

I never tried out GMA before this, so it was a neat listen. I hope you continue enjoying them!

Bless you two for commenting <3

Sign in to follow this