Zeus

Monochrome Heaven's Top 50 Tracks of 2015

Monochrome Heaven Top 50 Tracks of 2015

#50-#41

The celebration isn't done just yet!

Consider this a mixture of Best New Tracks and the traditional Top 25 List. While ORZ was busy putting together the former list for you, we realized that there are plenty of artists who released amazing music this year that may not necessarily be albums. At the end of the day, we decided to compile a list of our Top 50 songs of 2015. I'll post ten a day, starting today with number 50 and ending with 41. Check them out and let us know with you think. Feel free to comment and recommend your own picks as well!

In addition, a special thanks to our guest contributor @emmny for his contribution to Develop one's faculties!

50. "Seven Deadly Sins" by MAN WITH A MISSION

ImageImage

Man With A Mission are showing more maturity in their recent work. "Seven Deadly Sins" follows the trend with more depth both musically and emotionally than we've been privy to in the past. But that's precisely what makes it great. The band can't be all piss and vinegar all the time. The lyrics are easily relatable as they focus on the every day struggle with life's problems of all kinds, and often having no way to make sense of the chaos. But the song has an overall optimistic feeling that carries through, and takes a listener up to find inner strength.

- @doombox

49. "SPiCA SPHiA" by パノラマ虚構ゼノン (XENON)

ImageImage

XENON was one of my random downloads this year and what a surprise it was! The title track of the single "LIQUID" is heavy and features some cool instrumental parts, but ultimately suffers injuries sustained from out-of-the-blue chorus syndrome. This B-side is the more balanced composition. While I'm not sure if XENON is actually signed to Danger Crue or not, this track reminds me of DIV, featuring pleasantly spacey synths and a healthy mix of heavy and mellow pop-rock sections. Especially considering DIV's underwhelming album, Secret, I needed this! If you've been sleeping on XENON, this single is a good place to dive into their discography, but @TheStoic also recommended to me their first album, Ultima--check 'em out!

- @fitear1590

48. "Setting Sun" by 疋田哲也(Tetsuya Hikita)+NIL

ImageImage

Back in 2012, 疋田哲也+NIL released their first album for free through the Japanese electronic netlabel Bunkai-Kei records, and now they've hit the major league by releasing their latest album "Ferry" on PROGRESSIVE FOrM (the label that houses Japanese electronic greats like AOKI Takamasa, Ametsub, Geskia!, and more!). 疋田哲也+NIL produce exactly what you'd expect from the label - beautiful, introspective, and intricate electronic music. "Setting Sun" is one of the more overtly melodic songs on the album and it's a fantastic example of what this duo are capable of.

- @CAT5

47. "アオイヤミ (Aoi Yami)" by Purple Stone

ImageImage

Purple Stone is certainly one to keep your eye on. Their output has been consistently good and surprisingly polished for such a young band. "Aoi Yami" is a fun mid-tempo track with strong sing-a-long vocal melodies over a familiar enough arrangement of 'heavy' verse/melodic chorus formula staples - plus some twinkly DIV-esque qualities thrown in. The song's many elements keep it varied enough in its composition that it never loses steam for the entire four and a half minutes!

- @doombox

46. "あなたを保つもの (Anata wo Tamotsu Mono)" by 坂本真綾 (Maaya Sakamoto) x コーネリアス (CORNELIUS)

ImageImage

When I heard that CORNELIUS would be collaborating with Maaya Sakamoto for theme of the latest Ghost in the Shell movie, I already knew we'd be in store for brilliance, and I was right. Cornelius is a modern electronic music god, and Sakamoto has performed some of the finest anime-related music ever made, so you can't get much better than that. CORNELIUS' musical interpretation of the GITS world is minimalistic, techno-laden and fittingly robotic - much colder and more sterile than Yoko Kanno's worldly, cinematic score done about a decade earlier. "あなたを保つもの (Anata wo Tamotsu Mono)" is nonetheless a perfect theme for GITS, though. CORNELIUS' production is simultaneously trippy and groovy, Sakamoto's delivery is almost mechanical, but her voice still resonates with a human warmth, and musically the song wavers back and forth from mysterious to familiar. It's the perfect song to represent the existential dualities of the GITS universe.

- @CAT5

45. "Millions of Stones" by SiM

ImageImage

The concept of SiM's Angels and Devils single is laid out plainly; two tracks and two very different sides of the same band. The angelic side of this single may be the more accessible as the theme for Shingeki no Bahemut GENESIS, but this fiendish track packs the bigger punch. While many bands turn the major label corner and leave their heavier music behind, this single is proof SiM have no intentions of doing so. "Millions of Stones" sits right in SiM's trademark reggae-punk/metal mash-up sweet spot. And as an added bonus, fans of the Ramones get a nice little homage with the band cheering "Hey ho let's go!" during the verses.

- @doombox

44. "Imperial Concerto" by Kamijo

ImageImage

As a teaser for his "Royal Blood" album, Kamijo dropped a remake of the Lareine single "Imperial Concerto" a month early. While the melody of this song is the same as the original, the 2015 version provides a souped up orchestra and re-imagines the guitar lines throughout the whole song with more shredding. The vocals have improved as well-- Kamijo packs more of a punch in his delivery without losing the frailty that made the original beautiful.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

43. "insert memory" by Develop One's Faculties

ImageImage

Who will save #artkei? It's the most pressing question of 2015 as moran, amber gris and yazzmad have fallen to the wayside. Cue Develop One's Faculties, formed from ex-cocklobin, and chemical pictures members. A promising lineup doesnt always translate to strong music, but "insert memory" redeems their prior missteps. It opens with a jangly riff akin to Moran's upbeat singles, but instead of the raw energy Moran packed into their songs, it has a restrained vocal line and sparse chords which lead to the chorus. If there's one musical moment you'll remember this 2015, it's all hell breaking loose in the brilliant chorus: 3 or 4 tracks of vocals are tracked over each other, all singing different words on top of a twinkling guitar arpeggio. It sounds like a chaotic miss-mash of several songs all thrown into a blender with a common guitar line, but it oddly makes for one of my most emotional musical experience this year. It's all a hot mess really, but DOF make it work and end up writing an odd and heartfelt yet incredibly fun song. Will they fill the hole left by your art kei favs? I'm not sure, but if the rest of their material follows “insert memory”, then there's definite cause to rejoice.

- @emmny

42. Perfect Blue by 和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band)

ImageImage

For the longest time, Wagakki Band was one unit I could never get into, despite the Vocaloid link. Thanks to falling for 陰陽座 (Onmyouza) more over time and to Zeus for keeping Wagakki Band in the spotlight, I decided to give them another spin with their first original release. It's probably due to my own high expectations that I kept failing in appreciating the band, but certain tracks from 八奏絵巻 (Yasouemaki) really did it for me for the first time, my favourite being Perfect Blue. What really takes my fancy for this track is the impressive quick talking in the chorus. Not only this, but the whole melody from start to finish is gorgeous. It is very much art in its musical form, and if someone were to ask me for such a piece, this is what I'd present. "Perfect Blue" isn't lying with that name.

- @beni

41. "ヒズムリアリズム (hizumu realism)" by カラスは真っ白 (karasu wa masshiro)

ImageImage

"hizumu realism" caught me by surprise, as the overly 'cute' vocal style in this song that is typical of a lot of J-pop would usually send me running away in the opposite direction. But Kana's saccharine vocals come off much more genuine this time around than I remember them in the past. The synthesized guitars and other electronics backing her up maintain a fun atmosphere, but have a solid technical showmanship about them that lends the song a bit more oomph. There's just enough going on to keep the song interesting without distracting from the catchy melody. Don't be surprised if you're still humming it hours later.

- @doombox

Tune in tomorrow for the next ten!

Monochrome Heaven Top 50 of 2015

#40-#31

40. ネモフィラ (nemophila) by イツエ (itsue)

ImageImage

Returning from a two year release-slumber, itsue came back in 2015 with a new mini-album. While the full release left me underwhelmed, the lead single met my expectations. Mizuki's vocals are still the star of the show, immediately kicking off the song with her signature effortless high notes. While the music is neither groundbreaking for indie rock, nor for itsue itself, the off-kilter riffs that lead into the verses and the handclap interlude are welcome changes to the song's overall linear approach. While this song is pretty good on its own, it's a bit of a shame that it's probably one of the best tracks on the release. Here's hoping that their next release will be on par with this song, if not reaching the glory of their first mini.

- @fitear1590

39. "月曜のメランコリー (getsuyo no melancholy)" by BOMI

ImageImage

BOMI's 2nd album is a curious affair in which the concept has manifested itself in the form of a disturbing amount of skits. Skits that detract more from the album than they add. Thankfully, the actual music on the album makes it worth it. Lead track "getsuyo no melancholy" is a playfully bizarre tune composed by akai koen's (赤い公園) guitarist with additional basswork from Hama Okamoto of OKAMOTO'S. The song is anchored by a groovy, melodic chorus, but the frantic and trippy nature of the rest makes it one of the most standout Jpop tracks this year so far.

- @CAT5

38. "ツキナミ (tsukinami)" by 分島花音 (Kanon Wakeshima)

ImageImage

I haven't followed K-Wakeshima since her disappointing second album, but I ate up her Mana-tastic first album! While "tsukinami" sounds nothing like the old cello-wielding gothic lolita we used to enjoy, I still find myself strangely drawn to this song! It has a dense arrangement with somewhat noisy "rock" instrumentation, a barrage of piano, and orchestral backing. There is a fluttery quality to both the song's fast-paced melody and vocals that is quite pleasant. If she isn't Mana's protégé anymore, then this is an interesting and welcome new direction for her!

- @fitear1590

37. "アネモネ (anemone)" by ペンタゴン (pentagon)

ImageImage

Pentagon released their second single and it was a complete change in direction for them. While their Arelquin-esque bloops and beeps are still around, they went full on cabaret with this single and to me it was a much needed, albeit risky, improvement. "Anemone" is one of the slower songs on the single and it is fall-to-your-knees-while-singing-in-the-rain melodramatic. The chorus is full of powerful, heart-wrenching cheese, but they still managed to sprinkle some creepy elements such as warped music boxes and t.v. static throughout.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

36. "Ignorant Rain at the End of the World" by envy

ImageImage

After five years, Japanese screamo legends envy have returned with their latest album "Athiest's cornea", with their usual mix of post-hardcore and sprawling post-rock tendencies. While well executed, the album itself leaves much to be desired and is more tiresome to listen to than immersive. "Ignorant Rain at the End of the World" manages to stand out by a hair, being both the shortest and the most straightforwardly intense track on the album, with the rest being almost indistinguishably dull. Very much worth the listen, though!

- @CAT5

35. "包丁の正しい使い方~思想編~ (houchou no tadashii tsukaikata~shuusokuhen~)" by DEZERT

ImageImage

Thank goodness DEZERT released a collection of songs about the proper way to use kitchen knives. My cooking has improved dramatically and I no longer get nicked on the side of my thumb! I suppose it was also cool that they made a collection album of all of their live distributed material and a previously unreleased bonus track. This song here has the right mix of heavy and bleak DEZERT that I know and love, plus a catchy chorus to boot. Be sure to check out "Gossip" as well.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

34. "My Little Wish" by toe

ImageImage

Toe's highly anticipated 3rd album "HEAR YOU" is probably best appreciated as a whole. It's an album so cohesive and consistent that it's difficult to highlight one track above another, but "My Little Wish" stands out for one reason - Kashikura's drumming. His performance is noticeably subdued for most of the album, but he cuts loose here, bringing this track the closest to capturing that vintage toe goodness we've come to love!

@CAT5

33. "Kaedit Nos Pestis" by Sigh

ImageImage

After twenty years of polishing their avant garde psychedelic black metal jamboree into a sound that can only be described as "Sigh", Graveward represents the latest - and greatest - offering from Sigh in quite some time. "Kaedit Nos Pestis" continues the tradition of Sigh starting off the album on the right foot; a compelling hybrid of catchy guitar riffs, tasteful bursts of orchestra, and one tortured man on his way to hell. As catchy as Corpsecry -Angelfall- and as tumultuous as Prelude to the Oracle, Sigh knows how to stick to their guns while aiming to please. Graveward is my metal album of the year so far, and this track is a good introduction as to why. However, this track is but an introduction to the immense album that it leads. I encourage you to check out the full-length as well!

- @Zeus

32. "九尾 (kyuubi)" by 己龍 (kiryu)

ImageImage

Kiryu's latest single was titled after Japan's mythical 9-tailed fox "九尾(kyuubi)" and released in 10 different types. The title track is frantic and thoroughly intense, with a cacophonous mix of piano, shamisen, and shakuhachi thrown in for some traditional flare. Yet despite the bombardment of sounds, the musicianship remains super-tight and the songwriting is quirky and catchy. "九尾(kyuubi)" (and it's accompanying PV) perfectly encapsulates the band's trademark mix of traditional Japanese motifs with over-the-top, Visual Kei flamboyance, and it's sure to please both new and veteran fans.

- @CAT5

31. Charisma.com - "やれよ。(Yareyo.)"

ImageImage

While OLest wasn't the amazing follow-up album to DIStopping that many of us hoped it would be, the opening track "Yareyo." set the hype levels to eleven. It effectively set the bar so high that the rest of the album had trouble keeping up. I heartily encourage you to give this club banger a spin, in any case. The mix of heavy bass and electric guitars riffing along in the background, plus a nice sprinkling of zippy electronic effects, all help to build a soundscape as dynamic as it is addictive.

- @doombox

See you tomorrow for the next ten!

#30-#21

30. "終幕の芥 (shuumaku no akuta)" by 滅びの美学 或は、加虐偏愛者の調性の確立 (horobi no bigaku arui wa, kagyaku henaisha no chousei no kakuritsu)

ImageImage

I felt compelled to include this band, if only for science. How often does a VK band get inspiration from atmospheric black metal? Not to mention, one of the members has a sniper rifle. I'm not sure if this song is just a demo (so far, the song only appears to be available via their YouTube channel), but in all seriousness, the music is pretty intriguing. The calmer moments of off-kilter riffs slowly build up into a grim, sprawling mass that is nothing to sneeze at, coming from ostensibly newcomers to the scene. We may never again get dank forest kvlt sniper kei, so let's be grateful.

- @fitear1590

29. "悲しくなる前に (Kanashiku Naru Mae ni)" by indigo la End

ImageImage

Enon Kawashima was on fire this year. I was initially very wary of his musical projects, but with his almost constant releases between indigo la End and ゲスの極み乙女。 (gesu no kiwami otome) these past few years, it seems like his prolific output is finally bearing fruit. I'd call it a fluke, but since I also recommended gesu's latest singles, it's quickly become clear to me that Enon is getting better, and is perhaps developing some sort of a musical midas touch. His latest single with indigo la End (their first with the new line-up) is wonderfully pop oriented, but still maintains that indie feel and aesthetic. The hook is instantly catchy and certainly the main draw to the song, but there's also some infectious riffage and tight instrumentation to keep you on your toes. If this is where indigo la End is headed, then I'm excited to follow!

- @CAT5

28. "Crepuscule" by Femme Fatale

ImageImage

Femme Fatale are a band I  don't have the best relationship with--for whatever reason I'm just not into Kaya nor anyone this entourage brings along. However, in spite of a lack-luster title track, "Voyage" brings us two incredible B-sides. This one in particular turns up the creepy and delivers an emotional roller coaster, seething with pent up rage. I'm all about songs where Kaya loses his shit, and here his was flipped like pancakes.

- @Peace Heavy mk II

27. "夢 (yume)" by THE MORTAL

ImageImage

Lord of darkness Atsushi Sakurai has taken a break from the iconic BUCK-TICK and formed a new side-band with a rather delectable line-up featuring Jake Cloudchair and members of downy and MY WAY MY LOVE. They just released a mini album titled "spirit" to whet our appetites before the full-length next month, and it's almost entirely full of covers from Atsushi's childhood, goth heroes like Bauhaus and Siouxsie & the Banshees. While all of the covers, except for one, are tastefully done and actually rewritten in Japanese, the band's original material is what's matters most. "Yume" is the 2nd original song on the mini album, and its ominous tone is right at home amongst the cover songs. THE MORTAL is sounding very promising right now!

- @CAT5

26. "シャッタードール (Shutter Doll)" by ヒトリエ (Hitorie)

ImageImage

Hitorie's music ranges from decent to brilliant, and while their latest mini album was a bit lower on the quality rung, they've stepped their game back up on with their follow-up single "シャッタードール". Wowaka's vocaloid-esque, rapid-fire crooning and the vibrant riffs that we've come to love are all in top shape, but the song is also the funkiest tune they've churned out so far. Interestingly, the other 2 songs on the single are instrumental, but this song jams so much that it doesn't even matter. If you're not doing this while listening, then I'm not sure what to tell you. At any rate, Hitorie has another new single set for release in the new year, and if "シャッタードール" is any indication, then they're headed for great things!

- @CAT5

25. "World is mine." by vistlip

ImageImage

'World is mine.' is  definitely the happiest song on vistlip's recent album. Sporting a charming, oshare-kei tone to it, it's a playful and sweet sounding tune, with catchy lyrics being repeated during the chorus and synths going off throughout. And even with a few drops of Engrish and high parts in it, it asks to be played on only the most cheerful of occasions.

- @beni

24. "Daze" by Cuushe

ImageImage

It's not to often that my Japanese and Western music tastes converge, but it happened this year with Cuushe. This song popped up on my YouTube feed, because I subscribe to the Western label (Cascine) that put out Cuushe's upcoming release EP, Night Lines. I instantly fell in love with it (this single and the full EP)! The song works very well when you just need to chill out and take your mind somewhere else. I can also see it working very well as video game BGM, with its hypnotic, ethereal quality. I think the cover art nicely sums up the mood evoked by the song: cute, dreamy, and a little bit fantasy!

- @fitear1590

23. "Jesus Phobia" by ペンタゴン (Pentagon)

ImageImage

Pentagon continued to progress this year after a very strong start, and their newest multi-type releases has shown their widening versatility in a great way! However, my favorite was still the lead song as it brings us back to a darker side we have been missing since their debut. The chorus has a great melody that rounds the song out and saves it from any pitfalls of monotony. Meanwhile, Pentagon hold true to enough core elements that "Jesus Phobia" still fits perfectly into their short but solid discography.

- @doombox

22. "アカペラ" (A capella) by ペンタゴン (Pentagon)

ImageImage

Another song by Pentagon makes the list! This song plays on just the right amount of classic and modern visual kei influences. A lot of bands are after this sound lately, mixing electrorock with big wubwub-core breakdowns, but I have to give Pentagon credit for doing a particularly good job at it. Also, something in the singer's voice gives me Under Code Production heyday nostalgia feels. So between the clashes of emotion and the song's non-stop energy, it keeps a constant momentum all the way through. It's not hard to imagine the crowd losing it to this song live.  

- @doombox

21. "marionette" by Lycaon

ImageImage

A boss song in a tiny package, Lycaon's last album hides a diamond in the rough. "marionette" is a petite track inside a packed album, but it is worth two minutes of your time simply because Lycaon went in a direction they've never attempted before and came out successful. Equal parts creepy and enticing backed by a dark cabaret atmosphere from beginning to end. it still manages to outshine the majority of 'camera obscura' with its simplistic yet catchy structure. Everything about it is repetitive, making for a straightforward formula, which results in one heck of an instantly catchy, memorable and headbanger song. Our biggest gripe with this song is that it's the only one of it's kind. Some bands, like LIPHLICH, have experimented with a similar sound here and there, but there is no foremost figure in the scene. If marionette is anything to go by, this is one fad that was right up Lycaon's alley. Unfortunately with the announcement of their disbandment, this is all we'll get.

- @beni & @Zeus

#20-#11

20. The GazettE - "OMINOUS"

ImageImage

There's nothing like the slow burn at the end of a monolithic album to end on a poignant note. It's a different beast entirely when those last five minutes are the pinnacle of the entire experience. OMINOUS slides in comfortably alongside tracks like DIM SCENE, 千鶴 (Chizuru), and 体温 (Taion), which is really high praise considering how universally recognized these songs are for excelling at atmosphere and execution. They also come at the end (or near the end) of their respective albums, working as a type of summary for the piece as a whole. Songs like OMINOUS don't come around often from this band; this only happens when the GazettE leverages effective use of atmosphere, electronics, acoustics, and synthesizer with their rock sensibilities without letting their ambitions get the best of them. It's so good it's transcending the language barrier and catching the eyes and ears of westerners, quick to draw up comparisons with big name bands like KATATONIA to really drum up the hype. It's not easy to explain why the intro is so gripping when there's nothing going on at all, or why that progression around the middle is to die for. Let's just say that it's by far the best track on all of DOGMA, representing the conceptual feel of the album while resembling nothing on it. If you haven't heard it yet, do yourself a favor.

- @Zeus

19. PELICAN FANCLUB - "Chilico"

ImageImage

When I first wrote about PELICAN FANCLUB's PV track "Dali", I thought I had their sound pretty much pegged. Imagine my surprise when I found that they opened their self-titled mini album with a full-on shoegaze track! Prepare to be smacked in the face with an ethereal wall of guitar noise. The chorus then takes the track in a different direction, lending it a bit of an anthemic edge. @CAT5 has likened them to THE NOVEMBERS, so if their mini this year was too soft for you, you just might be a fan of this song! But don't just stop there--PELICAN FANCLUB has so much more variety to offer than what is heard in these two featured tracks.

- @fitear1590

18. coldrain - "Words Of The Youth"

ImageImage

The boys are back with a fist-pumping, shout-along, summer anthem. This is the coldrain I've been waiting to hear again. While their last few releases have felt a little diluted, "Words Of The Youth" shows coldrain have absolutely returned to form. Musically, they've held on to their heavier side, but the strong melodic chorus is exactly what this band excels at and the balance this song finds is damn near perfect.

- @doombox

17. "Pairidaēza lost" by IX -NINE-

ImageImage

I had originally heard of members of IX through their previous band EATHERLY when I picked up their demo cd in a Tokyo cd shop which I proceeded to forget about. I will definitely say this new band is not going to be easily forgotten. I've seen many comparisons to sukekiyo, which I hate but have to agree with as I can definitely hear some similarities between the two. Thankfully IX lacks the pterodactyl screeches Kyo's become so good at. While "Pairidaēza lost" wasn't my favorite off the two-track EP, it's definitely what caught my attention drew me in. Everything flows together so perfectly, from the electronics to the ethereal vocals and sweeps you off into another almost dream-like world that I personally don't want to wake up from. These guys are offering their EP on soundcloud FOR FREE so give them a shot because they are totally worth it. ----> http://soundcloud.com/ix-nine-official

- @fictioninhope

16. "灰色の森 (Haiiro no mori)" by My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND

ImageImage

The one ballad track of their newest mini-album, '灰色の森' stands out for its solidness and catchiness. With small trinkles of piano keys, it's a hypnotising listen from start to finish. Instruments work and meld together effortlessly into a melodic tune alongside Tenten's emotional delivery. It's definitely the breakthrough point in 'MIMIC.'

- @beni

15. Mouse on the Keys - "the lonely crowd"

ImageImage

It can be tricky to make epic-sounding instrumental music without being cheesy. When Mouse on the Keys released the PV for "leviathan", it had all of the makings of an epic track, but it got a bit too self indulgent and lost steam in its progressiveness. "the lonely crowd" gets it right, though. It starts off strong and then simmers into an upwards curve, constantly rising in intensity. The piano work is relatively simple, but the band's trademark, aggressive percussion and the addition of a wailing saxophone take this track over the top.

- @CAT5

14. Lament. - "The Screaming Pain"

ImageImage

13. DIV - "イケナイKISS (ikenai KISS)"

ImageImage

It took me until DIV's first album ZERO ONE to completely fall for them. However, their lackluster single-padded second album SECRET left a lot to be desired. After 8 months, they returned with a new single, but was it worth the wait? Unfortunately, the B-sides were forgetful at best. However, the A-side showed an improvement over the more mainstream style explored in the album's lead single "SECRET NIGHT"--no annoying 'GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY' sampling, at least. With its upbeat, yet headbangin' EDM-infused atmosphere, "イケナイKISS" demonstrates the kind of hybrid style that catapulted DIV to the forefront of VK's more electronic rock bands. Just feel free to skip the 

Suiyoubi no Campanella has been receiving an insane amount of hype among Jpop fans over the past two years, and although I've been fond of their producer Kenmochi Hidefumi since his 2008 solo release "Falliccia", I've never given them the time of day - that is until I stumbled upon the PV for "西玉夫". It's an absolutely gorgeous track that lines up perfectly with the video's aesthetics, and it left one hell of an impression! Vocalist/performer KOM_I has your typical, talentless Jpop vocals, but there's something charming about the way she clashes with Kenmochi's whimsical melodies and meticulous programming that fuses trap jubilance with electro ingenuity. It's a one-of-a-kind mix that's only vaguely rivaled by acts like Charisma.com. At barely just three minutes long, "西玉夫" is a short song, but it'll keep you hitting the repeat button.

- @CAT5

11. DADAROMA - "最終電車 (saishuu densha)"

ImageImage

I have to give it to this band for skyrocketting in popularity the way they have, especially when they haven't even reached their first year anniversary yet. After releasing a video for "最終電車" that was so graphic it had to be removed and censored before it could return to YouTube, DADAROMA have figured out more than one way to get quite a number of jaws dropping and tongues wagging. But don't let that eclipse the fact that the band's musical consistency is still strong as ever. Much like their previous tunes, they continue to explore some metal-infused swing frontier here and harness a chaotic, yet danceable energy that is just plain addictive in this track.

- @doombox

#10-#1

10. "Enigmatic Feeling (2015 mix)" by 凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Sigure)

ImageImage

The turbo-charged rock power-trio Ling Tosite Sigure has blasted into the new year with their very first Best-of album. While old-time fans may be pleased to hear remastered tracks from early in the band's career, the most ironic production-makeover takes place with this song - which is only a few months old. The new mix is fully realized and shows that Ling can still be effective, even when they're creating anime themes.  

- @CAT5

9. "Red Carnation" by Jupiter

ImageImage

I am unfortunately in the boat of people largely disappointed with Jupiter's THE HISTORY OF GENESIS. This particular song, however, was a surprising return to what we've come to know and love from the Versailles members -- something epic, fanciful, and pompous. Due to the violin by ex-A's Rookie Fiddler, the majestic harp throughout, and female guest vocals, the song introduces a number of new elements, which ultimately set the song apart from the rest of the drab album. Take a listen and transport yourself to a fantasy world of castles, moonlight, and rose carnation-obsessed vampires! Whatever becomes of Versaipiter in 2016, I want them to at least achieve the glory of this track.

- @fitear1590

8. "戦-ikusa-" by 和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band)

ImageImage

Ever since "Senbonzakura" set the otaku part of YouTube on fire, this band's rise has been impossible to stop. They've made strides in a year which take other bands three or four to reach. The three members of Hanafugetsu have realized there's a winning combination in fusing traditional Japanese instruments with the spirit of rock and roll, and they're stretching it as far as it can go. Note that stretching isn't necessarily a bad term. There's only so much one can do when restricted to a theme this precise, and yet Wagakki finds ways to surprise again and again. Wagakki-Band seem desperate to fill a hole in the Japanese music scene that's been missing for some time and I look forward to our new overlords delivering lots of quality material in the near future.

- @Zeus

7. "Foster Mother" by sukekiyo

ImageImage

With the release of VITIUM, sukekiyo is proving that they're a beast of their own, viable by their own merits - and not just DIR EN GREY #2. The two bands bands may share some simularities, but sukekiyo is already yielding tunes to distinguish themselves. "Foster Mother" in particular is a peculiar track. It's a dark, trip-hop-esque tune with an ethereal seductiveness to it and a steady groove. It's the most straightforward song on VITIUM (which probably makes it the most readily memorable), but it also has an immersive quality to it - one that easily lends itself to repeat listens.  

- @CAT5

6. "パレード (parade)" by KEEL

ImageImage

Is it really a surprise that KEEL would be featured? As soon as the 10 second mark of "parade" hits, aie's signature guitar sound pops up and I'm in love! In this track, Ryo does an effectively creepy whisper through much of the verses and the chorus is a beast. On the whole, I'm still not wowed by KEEL, but on this track and "禍人 (kajin)", the music and vocals come together in a beautiful way and I can definitely hear some magic. Their next mini-album R'lyeh slowly won me over, so I'm looking forward to seeing KEEL develop in 2016--all the pieces are there!

- @fitear1590

5. "蕾 (Tsubomi)" by SCAPEGOAT

ImageImage

This song is a wonderfully dark and romantic ballad. I was surprised to hear them change gears and do something in this vein so well when they are predominantly known for their heavier work, but SCAPEGOAT have grown in leaps and bounds in their 6 years together. "蕾" is a direct reflection of that. It flows along with increasing emotional intensity and never feels like it drags or stalls out. It all culminates in a song worthy to be a staple in anyone's playlist.

- @doombox

4. "きれいな海へ (kirei na umi e)" by THE NOVEMBERS

ImageImage

Over the past 5 or so years, THE NOVEMBERS have developed a sort of yin and yang persona, drifting effortlessly from dark, angsty and melancholic to light and airy, yet never straying from their core sound. As you might imagine, their latest EP "Elegance" focuses mostly on the band's more whimsical side. "kirei na umi e" is undoubtedly the centerpiece of the EP. While the other songs on the release are more than pleasant enough, they also tend to waddle in their own atmospheres a bit too much, but "きれいな海へ", with its smooth, buttery basslines and all of its jangly guitar goodness, seems more assured and self-aware. It's a standalone song from an EP that's best appreciated as a whole.

- CAT5

3. "発火 (Hakka)" by KEEL

ImageImage

KEEL is a Nagoya-kei super band if I've ever seen one and it's been quite some time since a nagoya-kei band made some serious waves in the scene. It's almost cheating how good this band is: when you put the masterminds behind 9GOATS BLACK OUT and deadman together in one project, only good things can come of it. The rhythm section plays with a tight groove that will stick in your head like a harpoon, but it is Ryo's haunting vocals which commands your attention. The unrestrained rawness of his singing contrasts with his falsettos during the chorus. The melancholic mood of the track is distinctively aie as well; I can't associate this particular combination of harmonic scale and guitar tone with anyone else. A dramatic tour de force of a particular breed of visual kei that desperately needed a revival. Not quite rising from the ashes of the god and death stars, deadman, or 9goats, but a delightful fusion of all three that will easily leave you wanting more.

- Zeus

2. "Death in Reverse" by Mono

ImageImage

It doesn't matter how many songs Mono puts out that follows their tried and true post-rock formula; each song manages to satisfy me like I've never heard it before. I feel comfortable sliding "Death in Reverse" among other Mono greats such as "The Flames Beyond The Cold Mountain" or "Ashes in the Snow". Best described as a compendium of strained emotion and chaotic complacence backed by an underlying current of anticipation threatening to explode into a wall of sound at any moment, it subverts all expectations by never quite getting there. It ends before it ever really begins, with the abrupt outro bring to mind garbled imagery of life and death lost to the never ending march of progress. Even the album cover is an infant surrounded by a crowd of demons, illustrating both "life" and "death" perfectly. Each Mono song is inspired by a story or a collection of feelings which the band translates musically. This time we were lucky enough to get comments from guitarist and main song writer Takaakira Goto, in which he explained his interpretation of the song:

"The theme of this track is life and death and regeneration. Even when our bodies decay and decompose, our souls will prevail unchanged. Our bodies will act as seeds for the next generation, while our souls will journey together into our new eternal life. This is the story we want to explore with our next album, a portrayal of our journey through life towards death; from living out our lives proud and high, to bodies immolating, infused with precious memories… and through the vast, noisy tunnel of space, we become pure souls – a single drop of water in the fountain of life.“

Mono in 2016 can't come any faster.

- Zeus

1. "EVOKE" by lynch.

ImageImage

After GALLOWS, I thought they were bent on becoming purely a metalcore band, but EVOKE shows a side of lynch. I haven't seen in a while. The re-recording of DOZE wasn't a coincidence; the entire single picks up where SHADOWS left off. EVOKE in particular reminds me a lot of ADORE, but with some extra energy and aggression they gained from their last two major releases. The striking melody of the chorus and the breakdown set everything over the edge, and the song keeps you pumped until the very end. Even the production is on point, which I can't say about their last few releases. This is exactly the kind of music I've wanted them to make for the last several years. Something in me wonders if the band has realized that what was lacking in their new "sound" was the pop and hard rock influences that they've been forcibly suppressing, because these feels so natural the progression from GALLOWS to this is plain awkward. It wouldn't be wrong to say that EVOKE is an adrenaline shot straight to the eardrums. I bet this rocks even harder live.

- http://monochrome-heaven.com/index.php/user/2220-zeus/'>Zeus

I hope you enjoyed reading the list and saw some familiar favorites along with some new faces! Tune in tomorrow for December's BNT!