Sign in to follow this  
BrenGun

CD/DVD prices

Its about 1½ year ago that Japan decided to rise their tax from 6% to 8%.

Because the CD/DVD prices of your favorite artist more expensive?
Did they stop selling digital?

Are there any other things such as, getting lesser for an higher/same price than before.

However the questions are;

Do you like that labels rise up the prices of the CD's even if they don't really give us something extra?

Do you like that labels stop to sell digital because they want to sell the real CD only?

Do you think that the price rising is because of the 8% tax?

Do you think that price rising really brings in more money?

Would you stop buying if an artist/label stop their digital releases?

How much do you think that your favorite artist gets from album/CD sale? Or do you think that the label gets everything?

What is the maximum which you would spent on a CD/DVD?

I didn't really bought anything new lately from artist which I support for years.

But I did stop to support a few artist: Rice and Acid Black Cherry. Because their prices got a bit too high. Acid Black Cherry is a king of selling LIVE DVD and album for high price. If you buy Album you still get a nice bonus. But It's still pretty high. Higher than before if you look at the original price without the TAX. Singles are still the same price than before. So... kinda price rising is no need?

And the music of Rice already became more expensive before that 8% tax rise. So I don't really know if its much higher now days too.

But I still think that Starwave Records is one of the KING in rising prices. as we did got this year 19 live songs for 3500yen we now got now 18 for 4500yen.  bam 1000yen extra and 1 song lesser.

Or releasing releases 2 new songs... plus 4 old songs.. together 2500 yen. Not that the 4 mastered songs will be given as a bonus and that the CD will be priced 1500-2000 yen.  Also the PV's, recording, editing himself and also burning them himself on a DVD and then selling it for 3000yen at least. without any fancy extra. Not even signatures of the band.

Some years ago prices were still low and nice price for CD and DVD. but the last months it seems that Kiwamu thinks that rising up the prices will bring in much more. When I check the oversea store I see that some bands sell lesser DVD in the oversea store. Japanese store is almost same, but sometimes also few DVDs lesser, depends on the content.  So if it is a good move? I doubt it. And I guess kiwamu cannot rise up the price more and more, because then also Japanese fans will start to complain about the price I think?

So any more labels who are kings in rising up their prices? and what are your thoughts about it??

"Do you like that labels rise up the prices of the CD's even if they don't really give us something extra?"

Nobody likes to get more expensive stuffs.

"Do you like that labels stop to sell digital because they want to sell the real CD only?"

No, but they don't get the money they would get selling a real CD, and they should have to waste money for keep the release on itunes, amazon etc.

"Do you think that price rising really brings in more money?"

If you count in large numbers of people, yes.

"How much do you think that your favorite artist gets from album/CD sale? Or do you think that the label gets everything?"

Depends of the contract?

"What is the maximum which you would spent on a CD/DVD?"

Really depends of the artist.

"Do you like that labels stop to sell digital because they want to sell the real CD only?"

No, but they don't get the money they would get selling a real CD, and they should have to waste money for keep the release on itunes, amazon etc.

Then would you like that a label would say "sorry people, but we stop selling our music digital"

Some artist even say "we don't sell digital anymore, because we get paid to bad for each sold song".

But thats what I more hear about "streaming websites" such as Spotify.

"Do you think that price rising really brings in more money?"

If you count in large numbers of people, yes.

Yeah, and then they get more money than before. Lol. as if it was not enough before :P

"How much do you think that your favorite artist gets from album/CD sale? Or do you think that the label gets everything?"

Depends of the contract?

Of course, but how much do you think that they get? Just normal contract.

Do you like that labels rise up the prices of the CD's even if they don't really give us something extra?

Nope....who would like this???

Do you like that labels stop to sell digital because they want to sell the real CD only?

It get's more difficult for foreign fans to get their stuff...digital releases are easier to get but I prefer physical copies anyway ^^

Honestly???...NO...it's just 2% and the raising of prices doesn't fir with that % ^^

Maybe for the label...but not for the artist in the end...

No...because I always buy physical copies if available.

How much do you think that your favorite artist gets from album/CD sale? Or do you think that the label gets everything?
I know some bands are not earning much...there are bandmember who don't even get enough to eat because they don't have any mitsu ot tsunagari who support them financially!....but that'S a whole different story!
The label ALWAYS get's their money!

Can't say....depends on band and rarity and much I want it ^^

Nope....who would like this???

Japanese fans?! I don't really see often Japanese fans complain about CD/DVD prices.

It get's more difficult for foreign fans to get their stuff...digital releases are easier to get but I prefer physical copies anyway ^^

I also prefer physical copies, but not if they are insane high priced...

Honestly???...NO...it's just 2% and the raising of prices doesn't fir with that % ^^

Well some labels did rise up their price of the CD's a lot, because of that reason. lol

Maybe for the label...but not for the artist in the end...

I know some bands are not earning much...there are bandmember who don't even get enough to eat because they don't have any mitsu ot tsunagari who support them financially!....but that'S a whole different story!

The label ALWAYS get's their money!

I always wonder why an artist agree with insane selling prices.... since they often get nothing or very less. 

I think an artist get most money form Mitsu's, who wanna turn into a Tsunagari. Tsunagari's can even help out to let Mitsu's pay.

Can't say....depends on band and rarity and much I want it ^^

So lets say... from your favorite band.

A DVD..

18 songs, own recored, own burned on DVD,  no encore, no bonus, cheap DVD care,   4500 yen tax included.  while about 6 months ago live of 19songs was released for only 3500yen... would you still accept a price raising of 1000yen?  

I mean...

An inherent quality of point-of-sale taxes is that they don't affect the cost of the product itself; they only affect what the customer pays.

For example, Dali's 2008 full album (normal edition) cost 3,150 yen (tax in). For 3150 = x + (x * 0.05), x = 3000 yen. R Shitei's album (normal edition) last month was 3,240 yen (tax in): for 3240 = x + (x * 0.08), x = 3000.

Meaning: the normal price of releases hasn't really increased; only the tax has increased. So the discussion is kind of moot...

If you're paying more for a release before tax, the release probably has special packaging, or includes extra content, or has a trading card, etc, etc.

I only buy 2nd hand from Closet Child. In fact, my most recent purchase (2 kannivalism DVDs, 4 Plastic Tree DVDs) came up to less than 6000 yen!

That's the best strategy (if you don't mind waiting a while to hear a release)

That's the best strategy (if you don't mind waiting a while to hear a release)

Well, I only buy if no one uploads it after a couple of years (yes, I'm a bad fan, I know), especially if the band is relatively unknown or have lost popularity. I bought the entirety of FAKE?'s DVD discography for 1 yen each (not a typo; really 1 yen each) via Amazon; even its shipping cost of 300 yen is higher. Of course, there's the waiting for the price to drop before it disappears; I waited for Jelly's last live 2000 yen DVD to drop and the following year I checked (I visit Japan yearly), it wasn't there anymore. And the Sugar "Sweet room" DVD I bought for 1000yen in 2013 still have copies in Closet Child going for 300 yen in 2015 now zzzzz. Do check Amazon and especially its sub-retailers in the program; you can get really good deals for older releases!

Always wanted to ask if anybody knows how itunes or google play selling works from musicians side. I mean how much they pay for selling music there, what percentage they give to itunes.

I really doubt selling physical copy is cheaper. You need a lot thing to do like burning cds, printing cover and booklet, the cd itself + case. And they should be stored somewhere and sold in shops.

Its about 1½ year ago that Japan decided to rise their tax from 6% to 8%.

Because the CD/DVD prices of your favorite artist more expensive?

Did they stop selling digital?

It's the tax you pay, not them. Anyway at cdjapan there is price with "tax included in Japan" and you never pay it unless you buy it in Japan.

Most of them unfortunately don't sell stuf digitally so probably no, but If it's Starwave then yes.

Obviously releases aren't always great tbh. I didn't like much the Anima by Liv'ert, but I've bought it cheap digitally, if it was a real CD I would be upset.

No, I don't think anyone would. 

I don't care, since I only buy CDs. If they stopped selling CDs I would stop buying though.

I'm not sure. I haven't really noticed any increases in price, but that's probably because I buy new releases only once or twice a year.

Maybe, but not necessarily for the artist.

No

I don't know enough to say.

I have not noticed any increase in CD prices. For most CDs I buy, singles are 1200-1500 yen, and albums are 2500-3000 yen. Mini albums are somewhere in between. It seems to have been that way for many years... The tax increase shouldn't affect you unless you live in Japan.

But here's what really makes me mad:

1. Japanese CDs cost about twice as much as American CDs, and I have to pay shipping (and sometimes customs) on top of that.

2. Record labels are pulling more and more bullshit stunts like releasing multiple versions of one CD. There is almost always both CD only and CD+DVD versions. There now seem to be more cases where they release 3-10 (!!!) versions of one single, with different coupling tracks or DVD content on each one, in order to encourage the fans to spend more money. I myself have bought up to 4 versions of the same single so I guess I am part of the problem. :(

Always wanted to ask if anybody knows how itunes or google play selling works from musicians side. I mean how much they pay for selling music there, what percentage they give to itunes.

I really doubt selling physical copy is cheaper. You need a lot thing to do like burning cds, printing cover and booklet, the cd itself + case. And they should be stored somewhere and sold in shops.

The only thing I've noticed about Japanese bands on iTunes (etc) is that their pricing is just as strict/shitty as CDs. If a CD averages out to 300 yen per song, digital copies will have each song for exactly 300 yen. And never a discount for buying the entire album―it's the same price as buying each song individually. So I'm sure they make a killing on digital sales.

Maybe someone can add to that?

1. Japanese CDs cost about twice as much as American CDs, and I have to pay shipping (and sometimes customs) on top of that.

2. Record labels are pulling more and more bullshit stunts like releasing multiple versions of one CD. There is almost always both CD only and CD+DVD versions. There now seem to be more cases where they release 3-10 (!!!) versions of one single, with different coupling tracks or DVD content on each one, in order to encourage the fans to spend more money. I myself have bought up to 4 versions of the same single so I guess I am part of the problem. :(

true. 

The only thing I've noticed about Japanese bands on iTunes (etc) is that their pricing is just as strict/shitty as CDs. If a CD averages out to 300 yen per song, digital copies will have each song for exactly 300 yen. And never a discount for buying the entire album―it's the same price as buying each song individually. So I'm sure they make a killing on digital sales.

the second true. 

the labels want money and more money. Its totally no sense make a single with 7/8 types we already saw this in many bands. For me 4 types is the maximum to buy and i still think that its expensive. if have 4 types should have many extra contains and no only one version special song.

You can see that the old bands have only one type for singles or album in the begining these bands... when the era of internet arrived they change to make 4/5/6 types one single or one album, its good in little reasons and bad for many types for some reasons that already said here: I will say some.

1. the art of single/album in your totality is great to fans. 

2. many types is really expensive (all together)

3. Sometimes u need pay tax to customs + shipping (laws of each country)

4. One single with one song or two that have others 32619613 fucking types with the same song but with differents versions. (This can happen one time only, more its so mercenary)

5. band that have many releases with many types cds... looks mean that the label need money and more money and them can broken the band if dont sell all.

I dont know what the labels think about... but why the fucking way of sell only in japan and forget that they can get more fame outside japan and restrict releases to digital copies in amazon or itunes. Doing this way and knowing that the ilegal download will happen because this, its stupidity. looks they want kill streaming and digital cds like @inartistic said.

Since I started this topic, let's answer some more questions.

Japanese digital single charts are really going well, people truly also love to buy music on itunes or on other music platforms even if its 200-300yen per song, people still buy it. I know that people don't like Jpop or normal Jrock that much but if we take out the artist ACID BLACK CHERRY, they sell each time also about the same digital as they sell as CD. Ranking is always high.

Few days ago, a Japanese human said.

I don't like "..." band anymore, because now we have to buy so many CD's to get all bonus or to be able to see them in a instore event. I dislike them for that.
However, what she didn't know is that it isn't the band FAULT. since the band is under a "label".  She didn't said anything back, when I said, that she cannot really blame the band for the thing. and labels want money, want that their bands sell, and if a band says fuck you, well then it can be mean "byebye".

I dont know what the labels think about... but why the fucking way of sell only in japan and forget that they can get more fame outside japan and restrict releases to digital copies in amazon or itunes. Doing this way and knowing that the ilegal download will happen because this, its stupidity. looks they want kill streaming and digital cds like inartistic said.

Because they think only about their Japanese fans and just don't care about oversea wanting.

Kiwi also still shares lots of his music via itunes etc even knowing his music is shared too... sometimes an release doesn't appear on itunes. But he also knows as one of the best, that if stuff won't be shared that nobody will KNOW you.

And since his label is going well, fans buy lots of versions and just double copies, I guess he cares lesser and lesser. And thats one of the positive things about SW records, Even if I wished that Kiwi would sell some live only gems inside the oversea webshop.

So afterall,

it are simple the labels who are more money diggers now days and want more and more and not caring about feelings of fans.

Sign in to follow this