ghost

[SOLVED] Virus help

Hi all,

I think I might have a computer virus.

I'm using a windows 7 OS on a lenovo laptop.

When I browse websites, I can't click on anything on the page without another tab opening to an ad page. Certain text on the webpage will be underlined, colored green, and have a strange looking icon next to it. Sometimes, depending on the website, a pop-up sidebar with holiday item sales will show up.

In safe mode, I've scanned for viruses, found some, and deleted them. I've also deleted my Internet cache, cookies, etc. everything on both Chrome and Firefox.

But, still nothing.

I'm mostly worried that if I use internet on my laptop, a hacker might steal my info (I'm on mobile right now).

I tried to look up this issue but couldn't find any more solutions than the one I tried. I really don't want to reinstall my OS and move my data, but I think I might have to. But, I wanted to see if anyone might be able to help me with this issue before I did that.

Any help or insight would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Print?

Are the tabs called I-shop,  Shop time, or something like this? If so, you need to uninstall the malware program via control pannel > uninstall programs (the ads program will probably have "shop" on its name, but uninstall everything suspicious you don't use)

Also, you will need to delete its trails via execute > regedit. This one is a bit complicated because you'll need to find a folder among thousands. But if you know the malware name you can find easily on google.

you need to uninstall the malware program via control pannel > uninstall programs (the ads program will probably have "shop" on its name, but uninstall everything suspicious you don't use)

This is why keeping logs are a good idea. You can keep track of what installed and where (makes it easier to find the virus). My idea OP is to learn how to use the Resource Monitor when all is said and done.

What antivirus are you using? Also, what do you mean by "everything?" Have you viewed all the extensions in your browser as well as plug-ins?

If I were you, I'd do a clean install after backing up important data since I couldn't ensure if I'd ever get rid all the viruses completely.

It's a huge task though, so I know how that feels. However, it's best for the long run.

Just do a clean install, really. That's the best way to get rid of it. 

It's malware. How do I know? because the same thing happened to me earlier this year. Best thing to do is to uninstall any suspect browser extension or programs and then it might also be worth completely reinstalling the browser as well. After that do a full virus scan with your antivirus program of choice and/or look into malware bytes or something similiar. After all that, pray to god it's gone. If not and the malware is still present then the only thing you can do is backup the important stuff and do a full clean install of windows.

Sadly I had to do a clean install of windows myself back in September because of malware, it's a bitch but the best way to totally ensure that you get rid of it. And honestly you should clean install windows once a year anyways for performance reasons.

good luck!