CAT5

Recommended Tracks: January 2015

Best New Tracks: January 2015

Best New Tracks is a new series brought to you by MH's Official Reviewer team! Every month we'll be highlighting brand-new Japanese songs worth checking out, so stay tuned! Feel free to comment or discuss any of this month's picks and even offer your own as well!

's picks:

"Abyss" by Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas

albumartist

The single's lead track has been floating around as the theme song for 寄生獣 セイの格率 (Kiseijuu Sei no Kakuritsu) that began airing back in October of last year. But Let Me Hear tucked away a gem if you were dedicated enough to make it to the end. "Abyss" hides away lovely bits of jazzy piano work along with it's anthemic auto-tuned choruses that made this song stand apart from the others. Throughout the song, the band maintains this happy medium of knowing when to restrain themselves and when to go all in screaming against wailing keyboards before danceable breakdowns. Due to their keen ear for dynamics, the members masterfully pack quite a lot of punch in under 4 minutes. 

"A HUNDRED SUNS" by BOOM BOOM SATELLITES

album imgartist

Back with a pick from their upcoming album, SHINE LIKE A BILLION SUNS, BOOM BOOM SATELLITES tone down their harder industrial edge in favor for more subdued post-rock inspired electronica. The song starts off slow and mild and progresses into a rave-worthy bouncing pulsar of a song guaranteed to get heads nodding and legs jumping. It certainly feels like a warm up that leaves you ready for the next song on a hopefully epic album. Let's only hope BBS can rise to fans' expectations.

"KAKUMEI" by Silent Siren

album imgartist

Pop rockers Silent Siren sparkle in this cute, flowery tune of personal revolution and hope. It's just the right measure of sugary sweet vocals backed by solid musicianship, where J-pop encroaches on pop punk boundaries with simple but poignant chord progressions that drive the song along its encouraging path to self acceptance. And who doesn't need a little bit of that to start the year off right? "KAKUMEI" is a perfect song to sing your troubles away and shine a little light in your life.

"Closer" by Silhouette From The Skylit

album imgartist

SFTS return to their signature blend of piano hard rock with the beautiful and sway-inducing lead track from Blue Echo/Closer. But the latter track, "Closer," is the real showstopper for me with an ear-creeper of a chorus repeating "come closer, closer." The use of stutter effects really help amp up the already high energy levels that work in contrast to the memorable melodies ever present in SFTS songs. Overall, it creates a space in their genre quite unique to them and this particular result is a fun track that begs to be listened to over and over. 

"緑閃光 (midori senkou)" by LAMP IN TERREN

album imgartist

Based on the strength of this track, I had rather high expectations for this mini album that I didn't feel were satisfied. But after listening to "緑閃光," you can see how it would be a hard song to top! As it's a deeply emotional and introspective song about the search to find oneself, this 6 minute plus opus takes its time to pull every heartstring of its listener with breathtaking fervor. Musically, this song isn't trying to show off with technical ability or flourish. It's all about the atmosphere, smooth ebb, and flow of the piece which is a commendable feat when it's done just right, as LAMP IN TERREN have impressively done here.

's picks:

"Moonlight Station" by SEKAI NO OWARI

album imgartist

From the band's third album, 'Tree,' "Moonlight Station" really captures the festive and joyous feel of the album as a whole just on its own. With a traditional and electronic tune to it, "Moonlight Station" encourages fantastical imagery that pulls you in for the energetic ride and never tires throughout the album. Don't let their signature dose of autotuned vocals put you off on this one. Not only does this emphasise the magic of the track and its inclusion with the whole album, but these guys really push you to embark alongside them on this jolly journey.

"Flowerwall" by Kenshi Yonezu

album imgartist

Accompanied with a fantastically artistic and colouful MV, Yonezu's newest single, 'Flowerwall,' is beautiful. It's his latest release using his voice as the vocals. Yonezu might ring a few bells due to his popularity in Vocaloid work, which is why I brought up the previous point. Back in 2009 until 2012, his discography was comprised of only Vocaloid and he went by 'Hachi,' a producer. With two albums now under his belt using his real name, face, and voice, as opposed to the Vocaloid usage, 'Flowerwall' continues to deliver his powerful lyrics with an even clearer, stronger and emotionally driven delivery due to his tone being used over any Vocaloid's.

@fitear1590's picks:

ネモフィラ (nemophila) by イツエ (itsue)

album imgartist

Returning from a two year release-slumber, itsue is back with a new mini-album. While I'm still trying to digest the release as a whole, the lead single met my expectations. Mizuki's vocals are still the star of the show, immediately kicking off the song with her signature effortless high notes. While the music is neither groundbreaking for indie rock, nor for itsue itself, the off-kilter riffs that lead into the verses and the handclap interlude are welcome changes to the song's overall linear approach. While this song is pretty good on its own, it's a bit of a shame that it's probably one of the best tracks on the release.

"Red Carnation" by Jupiter

album imgartist

I am unfortunately in the growing boat of people largely disappointed with Jupiter's latest album. This particular song, however, was a surprising return to what we've come to know and love from the Versailles members -- something epic, fanciful, and pompous. Due to the violin by ex-A's Rookie Fiddler, the majestic harp throughout, and female guest vocals, the song introduces a number of new elements, which ultimately set the song apart from the rest of the drab album. Take a listen and transport yourself to a fantasy world of castles, moonlight, and rose carnation-obsessed vampires!

"ストッキング (stocking)" by 吉澤嘉代子 (Kayoko Yoshizawa)

album imgartist

Kayoko's first album comes out in early March, but she's graced us with the PV for the first single. Compared to her previous singles like the bouncy "美少女" or the quirky ode to body hair "ケケケ", this is probably one of her more heartfelt songs. Showcasing twinkly keys and effervescent power pop, the pleasant music accompanies her uniquely "twangy" vocals. With the strength of her earlier mini-albums and now this single, I am eagerly anticipating her new album!

"アイリス (iris)" by 新川忠 (Tadashi Shinkawa)

album imgartist

Knowing that Tadashi is signed to Lamp's new label, Botanical House, should make his approach to music come less as a surprise. It's low-tempo, relaxing, and has a timeless catchiness. I suppose what sets it apart from Lamp's work is the cushion of 80s synth work. Sit back and let the airy tunes soothe your ears!

@CAT5's picks:

"Enigmatic Feeling (2015 mix)" by 凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Sigure)

album imgartist

The turbo-charged rock power-trio Ling Tosite Sigure has blasted into the new year with their very first Best-of album. While old-time fans may be pleased to hear remastered tracks from early in the band's career, the most ironic production-makeover takes place with this song - which is only a few months old. The new mix is fully realized and shows that Ling can still be effective, even when they're creating anime themes.

"MEBIUS" by FEAR FROM THE HATE

album imgartist

"MEBIUS" from FEAR FROM THE HATE's new mini album "RETURNERS" is a pop-oriented, electrocore epic sure to please music fans that may not even gravitate towards the genre. The song is skillfully composed with a great balance of post-hardcore and bleep-bloop moments that perfectly compliment each other, never overstepping their boundaries or becoming self-indulgent. Everything here is coherent and the chorus has a nostalgic melody that'll stick with you.

"笑うドッペルゲンガー (warau doppleganger)" by 東京カランコロン (Tokyo Karankoron)

album imgartist

Quirky indie-poppers turned substantially less interesting pop-rock band Tokyo Karankoron has just released their 3rd major album "UTUTU". Even though the band continues to churn out pleasant but ultimately forgettable tunes, every now and then they write a song as wacky as "warau doppleganger". The vocalist's cockamamie delivery (that often veers off into over-the-top dramatics) and the infectious main guitar riff make this song too fun not to return to.

"月曜のメランコリー (getsuyo no melancholy)" by BOMI

album imgartist

BOMI's 2nd album is a curious affair in which the concept has manifested itself in the form of a disturbing amount of skits. Skits that detract more from the album than they add. Thankfully, the actual music on the album makes it worth it. Lead track "getsuyo no melancholy" is a playfully bizarre tune composed by akai koen's (赤い公園) guitarist with additional basswork from Hama Okamoto of OKAMOTO'S. The song is anchored by a groovy, melodic chorus, but the frantic and trippy nature of the rest makes it one of the most standout Jpop tracks this year so far.

"四角のトモダチ (Shikaku no tomodachi)" by 中納良恵 (Nakano Yoshie)

album imgartist

"Shikaku no tomodachi " is off the 2nd solo album of EGO-WRAPPIN'S eccentric frontwoman Nakano Yoshie, and it shows just how much of her ego is infused with the band - A LOT. With Nakano's compositional propensities and trademark vocals all present, the only difference between this and your usual EGO-WRAPPIN' song is the absence of Masaki Mori's twangy guitar musings. But that's precisely why this song stands out - Nakano is at her best when she's musically closest to home.

"想い想われ (omoiomoware)" by 福原希己江 (Fukuhara Kimie)

album imgartist

Indie singer-songwriter Fukuhara Kimie's new album "よりそうものたち (yorisoumonotachi)" is full of songs that she wrote for and featured in both a TV drama and a movie. Because of this, the album itself seems sloppily glued together and doesn't really work, but this song stands alone wonderfully. It's a somber folk song with a simple, yet haunting beauty to it.

This list inspired me to give SEKAI NO OWARI a chance in the end, lol (I really need to get over their "Japanese Owl City" stigma) - thanks beni for a convincing sample :P

Your lists look cool in general but...Cat, where did you get that Yoshie song from? The album didn't even leak (yet) :(

This is a really cool idea! January was kinda underwhelming for me (mostly because I didn't have much to listen to), so this will definitely help me out a lot.

I've just listened to Silent Siren's KAKUMEI on yt, it sounds nice and fresh !. thanks for the discovery, I will take a closer look to their stuff.