Sign in to follow this  
doombox

doombox's Favorites of 2014

Thanks for checking out my favorite albums of 2014. I've tried to keep things to just mini albums and full length albums. I am not a big listener of singles really, so trying to include them is rather pointless for me. I also tried to go easy on the International releases, which by that I only mean non-Japanese releases, since that list could easily be as big if not bigger than the Japanese list. But I just didn't feel it was that relevant so I just tried to cover my absolute can't-live-without releases there. Below is the index of the 4 posts of this list, so things will be a little easier to find. Comments are appreciated, as always. I hope you enjoy~! 

Index:

..i. Japanese: Visual

.ii. Japanese: Metal/Alternative/Hardcore

iii. Japanese: Rock/Pop

iv. International

Japanese: Visual

1z6b3ae.jpg

BUCK-TICK - 或いはアナーキー
tags: gothic rock, industrial rock

After 30 years of making music, I really don't know how this band continues to churn out album after album of quality tunes. The band knows their strengths and plays to them effortlessly with this album. The songs boast the fun of classic rock'n'roll combined with the darkness of gothic mystique. It never ceases to amaze me how B-T not only ride the line, but have perfected it. There is no other band that could compete, compare, or even imitate. BUCK-TICK are truly legends. 或いはアナーキー is another rock solid album for your collection from the godfathers of visual kei.

1589mj5.jpg
DuelJewel - Story
tags: hard rock, metal

DuelJewel gained my respect a few years back when I saw them live for Jrock Revolution. I had limited exposure to their music and considered them rather stuffy until they took the stage and showed up every other band that night (which included Vidoll, Alice Nine, Miyavi, and Kagrra,). Ever since, I've been a believer. In the years since their early releases DuelJewel did fall victim to being rather stale and 'same-y'. But Story was the comeback all DJ fans were waiting for. Every single song on this record is near perfect. The songs compliment each other without sounding too similar, the album goes from beautiful ballads to break-your-neck headbangers and even some sprinkles of tried and true pop balance it all out. I reviewed this album in depth already, but it's not hard for me to sing it's praises as many times as necessary. Get this album. Seriously. Do it. Do it right now.

b8wf9i.jpg
girugamesh - gravitation
tags: hard rock, alternative metal

girugamesh returned to their dark side with this mini album. While I do think fans would love them to go even a bit heavier than they did with gravitation, it was a nice reprieve from the lighter pop sensible music they had been promoting in recent years. Satoshi not only has a lovely singing voice, but his scream is as formidable as one could find in visual kei. Even if they aren't necessarily visual anymore, it's hard to not continue to group them with their former peers. The best thing about gravitation is the group ventured into some new territory with hardcore breaks and palm-mute laden guitar riffs. It might be what's popular at the moment, but it's still a trail the band hasn't traveled until now. I recommend giving this mini a spin if you've been waiting for some of that old girugamesh feeling to come back to you.

28tvtxv.jpg
MUCC - THE END OF THE WORLD
tags: rock, alternative

I make it no secret MUCC are long time favorites of mine. Even though I don't feel THE END OF THE WORLD surpassed last year's Shangri-La, I do still consider it to be one of the best releases of the year. I enjoy every single track on this album, no matter the similarities to previous work. I have to admit "ENDER ENDER" knocked me right on my ass when I first heard it and I've only grown fonder of the song from there (maybe you noticed the name change lol). Other great surprisies on the album were the gorgeous "Tell Me" and the anthemic "JAPANESE". Altogether another wonderful and fun album from the fearsome foursome.

2je49xu.jpg
NAINE - NEW ANSWER IS NEW ENDING
tags: electronic rock

NAINE's disbandment this year was a bitter pill to swallow. It was maybe the second hardest hitting for me after xTRiPx. Then made even worse when they left us with this awesome album. And even though I'm happy to see some members already have new bands promoting (DADAROMA), they won't be filling the hole NAINE is leaving behind. The band made sure to include 2 of their singles, "BRING ME ALIVE" and "BEAUTIFUL CRIME", to round out 4 songs total from the 8 previously released. And then there were the 5 new songs, of which "FALLING" and "OUTLINE" were particularly fantastic. It's hard to recommend them to a new listener since it feels like an empty promise, but if you were ever curious from seeing their name around the forums, I suggest you give them a listen.

11hwb3m.jpg
NoGoD - Make A New World
tags: metal

I felt horrible for almost overlooking this release this year. I find NoGoD to have become a band with reliable quality in recent years. While their earlier indie records had some works of genius, they also went so far into left field sometimes there was no recovering. Admittedly they play it a bit safer these days, but the realm they've built for themselves with Make A New World is a joy to listen to. They do however include songs like "メメント・アビス" that work as nice homages to their past. I think the fun and bouncy "EZ L1F3", despite its uber 1337 title, is my favorite on the album. It makes for perfect driving music. I also have the utmost respect for a band who has a singer as amazing as Danchou, yet continues to release equally amazing instrumental tracks in their albums, "Ⅰ-回顧" being a particularly epic one at that. And if you're looking for a visual metal band who has not gone the way of metalcore, this record is for you, my friend.

Japanese: Metal/Alternative/Hardcore

vzfuq9.jpg
a crowd of rebellion - Calendula
tags: emo, post-hardcore, metalcore

a crowd of rebellion are true to their name, they rebel against all genre standards mashing together emo and metalcore (managing not to fall into pop-punk 'easycore' territory) with catchy pop chant along vocals to offer up the most interesting results in their genre. Which they are relatively new to since Candula is their first full length album. I can't get enough of their crazy high contrast style and encourage everyone to give them a chance if you like heavy punk-inspired yet catchy music. a crowd of rebellion will give you something you definitely haven't heard before.

2612fiq.jpg
ARTEMA - STARGAZER
tags: electronicore

Although ARTEMA aren't the flagship band for this genre, they have managed to debut on a major label and make long strides to break out of that other band's shadow. With their second full length album, STARGAZER, ARTEMA blend EDM and hardcore elements resulting in what they personally brand as 'KIRA☆CORE'. This album ultimately stood out this year among the plethora of other electronic -core releases not having the same replay-ability factor in my library. Even my beloved Crossfaith fell painfully short this year. But ARTEMA's songs were there to soften my disappointment. And due to that they became a staple in my playlists. Hopefully they can do the same for you!

xeo202.jpg
BABYMETAL - BABYMETAL
tags: heavy metal, pop

BABYMETAL are that band people love, hate, love to hate; They are peoples' dirtly little secret or not-so-guilty pleasure. Even tr00 metalheads seem totally split on what to make of them splicing metal with Japanese idol pop. A few years ago, who would have ever dreamed something as oil and water as those two genres could have found harmony in the form of BABYMETAL. But it did, and their self titled album has gone viral appealing to fans at the huge metal festivals the girls' have played or touring with massive pop divas in the likes of Lady GaGa herself. The girls have even got metal giants Slayer and Metallica endorsing them. World domination certainly seems apparent if they stay the coarse. BABYMETAL is an album full of tooth rotting sweetness and neck breaking aggression. I love it and recommend it to EVERYONE.

nquzxf.jpg
CHRONOMETER - Construction of Destruction
tags: electronic, alternative, industrial

Though CHRONOMETER's members have been in the punk and hardcore scenes since the late 90s, this is the first project I've gotten familiar with from them. Instantly, they filled space only bands like AA= and THE MAD CAPSULE MARKETS ever held in my library. Which was great to broaden. Construction of Destruction is a great high energy mini album that mixes 90s alternative nostalgia with new electronic and metal nuances. I can't get enough of this CD right now. And if you enjoy the bands mentioned above you should definitely check them out.

2h8cytz.jpg
CRYSTAL LAKE - CUBES
tags: hardcore, metalcore

It's really a toss up between this mini album and the FACT album as to which is my AOTY. I would consider every Crystal Lake song on this CD perfect. I have listened to them a sickening number of times. lol. I only specify this because of the Limp Bizkit cover they included on it. Which is the only song I skip. Not in part to quality of the cover (it's quite good as far as that goes) just my personal dislike of LB. But don't let that stop you from digging into this mini. It's well worth it. Ryo's vocal style blends hardcore with a hip-hop-esque bounce that reinvents this band from their more traditional metalcore glory days with ex.vocalist Kentarou. The energy is on this mini is practically tangible. The band is really into their new style and it's infectious.

2hhznk9.jpg
FACT - witness
tags: post-hardcore

FACT have never been happy being a standard band that play standard post-hardcore. They went from 10 years of relative obscurity in the Tokyo punk underground to watching their last 3 albums crack the Oricon top 10 and ultimately signing with music industry giant Avex. 2014 landmarked FACT's 15th year together and the band celebrated by releasing their 5th full album, WITNESS. This album marks the musical debut of the 3rd guitarist , Adam, that joined the band nearly 2 years ago. Whom people might recognize as ADSKILLZ that was featured heavily on FACT's electronic alter ego project co3 and he takes on a sizeable amount of lead vocals for WITNESS too. I met this with some resistance in the beginning, since Adam's vocals on co3 helped it to have it's own identity unique from FACT. I worried his addition full time might make FACT lose some of their signature sound. But after a couple of spins I grew to like the new blending of duel vocalists.

WITNESS digs it's teeth into mainstream alternative and weaves it into songs like "drag", "ape", and the title track, "witness". Though it does not forgot their hard and fast roots with instant staples "new element", "devil's work", "termination", and the song that had my favorite music video experience of the year, "disclosure". Though, I'd have to say the largest mark left on me from the album is the introspective and somber "circling"; An acoustic track that shows uncharacteristic maturity and restraint that adds an emotional depth lacking in the previous releases. The new elements put a fresh spin on all of the things FACT have spent their careers building on and they just keep getting better. For those that have put off checking out this band, I have to say you've been missing out.

15f5dfd.jpg
Make My Day - Relentless
tags: post-hardcore, metalcore

Relentless was a release I was hyped for simply because Make My Day had gone through a few changes right before it's release. New vocalist, new name, new major label, ... to name a few. But it feels like a natural progression from Ashley Scared The Sky. Make My Day was a step forward without leaving too much behind. The album itself is pretty straight forward, but that is to be expected with a major label debut. I still consider it a really strong album, and it was really easy to replay, which is a big thing for me and albums that can still sound fresh months or even years down the road.

11ha3qd.jpg
SHARK ETHIC - NEVER SAY NEVER
tags: hardcore

NEVER SAY NEVER finally leaves SHARK ETHIC's pirate theme in the dust and feels like their first serious album. And it's a great one. The band got the approval of Japanese hardcore legends Loyal To The Grave some time ago but it seems SE are just now getting their foot in the door with the global hardcore scene. Having an Australian transplant for a vocalist may or may not be helping with that. So for those who have problems with 'Engrish' you won't find any of that here. Just solid kickass music.

j7df5s.jpg
sukekiyo - IMMORTALIS
tags: atmospheric rock, alternative

Talk about a monster album. But would you expect from a "supergroup" put together by Kyo of Dir en grey with members of Rentrer en soi, 9Goats Black Out, and Kannivalism? It's already an all star cast creating a massive 16 track album filled to the brim with musical gems. Then they took those songs and had them remixed with a plethora of other scene giants from LUNA SEA to GLAY that really take this album to surreal heights.

IMMORTALIS runs the gamut of pace and style, but the strongest songs are the soft and atmospheric epics "destrudo", "aftermath" and "hemimetabolism". Though, my personal favorite is the mid-tempo hook-heavy "mama". It's the type of song we haven't heard the likes of since "The Final" for those who have been missing something just a little less complicated. The second disc could have been a stand alone release with some really amazing revamps and fresh takes on the songs, some of which become nearly unrecognizable from the originals. It also seems to follow a theme of double album releases this year, not that I am complaining. IMMORTALIS was everything a Kyo fan could have wanted, and a second disc. A definite must-have of 2014.

28l71hd.jpg
wrong city - Induction of Otherside
tags: alternative

WARNING: Thar be Engrish here. There's no getting around the fact that it's blatant with this band, but I have never been put off by that kind of thing, myself. However, I know quite a few users here are so... here is my attempt to spare all of you. lol. wrong city have a distinct sound that's brings in influences from emo, screamo, post hardcore, and blends them into an interesting alternative mix. Definitely a band I'd recommend if you like ONE OK ROCK, coldrain, and the likes. Induction of Otherside has been an album I've enjoyed tremendously this year. Keep this band on your radar, they're on the up.

Japanese: Rock/Pop

155l4ip.jpg

about tess - Shining

tags: rock, pop, alternative

2014 was a great year if you dig instrumental bands. about tess topped the pile for me. Jazz, funk, rock, pop, this album really has a little bit of everything for every listener. If you've always found instrumental music to be a total snooze I dare you to give about tess a try, they really know how to make multi-dimensional music that both holds your attention with strong grooves while it takes you on a wild ride through the gamut of your own emotions.

30c4s95.jpg

Age Factory - 手を振る

tags: rock

Age Factory's mini came out in early December and wasn't something I planned on making this list as it was a mini album from a band I was totally unfamiliar with, but it's really an awesome mini if you like emotional rock with visceral, gritty vocals. 手を振る just pulled on heartstrings that no one release did for me this year and I think they are another band to watch with such a distinct and hard hitting sound.

lxgll.jpg

asobius - pray&grow

asobius make it infinitely hard to describe their sound. They fuse elements of indie rock and ethereal pop then layer it with soaring angelic vocals resulting in a sonic wonderland. pray&grow makes me want to turn my headphones all the way up, close my eyes, and escape into another world. This band has a way of building up their songs instrument by instrument and layer by layer until they are so full they are almost overwhelming. They can take you to the brink with huge dramatic choruses, and also subdue you with jazzy interludes at the next turn. There is not a single song I can bring myself to skip, so I have to agree that the promoted singles "starlight", "discovery", and "I'm in the love" are all great representations of the album for new listeners. Not only is it an amazing album on it's own, but the fact that they released it as a double album with the songs recorded in both English and Japanese languages is a unique approach I've not seen done before. pray&grow is one of my favorite releases this year and I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys melodic rock with lots of character and depth.

2rw7r7o.jpg

back number - ラブストーリー

tags: rock, pop, ballad

back number really came through this year with ラブストーリー, which I checked out based on the strength of their "fish" single- that I am still hopelessly addicted to. Their music is often slow and somber, but contains an undeniably strong emotional element (which you can probably tell if you made it this far down the list that I value over pretty much everything) that keeps the music from ever getting stale. If you're into pop rock, this album is a must.

ruramo.jpg

Hello Sleepwalkers - Masked Monkey Awakening

I really loved this album, it was just a shame the follow up mini album wasn't on the same level for me. But Masked Monkey Awakening is still in heavy rotation in my playlists. I think a lot of the anime crowd might have warmed up to Hello Sleepwalkers for their song pulling double duty as a Noragami theme. For everyone else, MMA is a great album that is full of fun upbeat rock if you're looking looking for something not overly intricate, too indie, or too heavy. HS keep everything light and energetic.

2d94oxv.jpg

UNLIMITS - アメジスト

tags: rock, pop punk

UNLIMITS were also strong competition for my AOTY. I adore this album so much. It's just got a warmth and genuine feel about it. I'm not even sure how to explain it other than bands like this are extremely rare. The vocalist has an wonderful husky voice that is also rare among Japanese female singers. The entire package just makes them very much a unique and welcome change in the lighter rock arena. If you enjoy female vocalists, アメジスト is an album you have to give a chance. I highly recommend it!

2s9eqzk.jpg

和楽器バンド - ボカロ三昧

tags: vocaloid, neo-traditional, folk, pop

Samples: 天樂 & 千本桜

和楽器バンド (Wagakki Band) were a breath of fresh air this year. For a band who has barely been together over a year, the amount of solidarity found in their unique blend of neo-traditional Japanese rock is impressive. Their debut album, ボカロ三昧(Vocalo Zanmai), gained a lot of traction with the help of the promoted song "千本桜(Senbonzakura)" and it's music video that received something like eleven million views on Youtube and counting! So to say this band is well on their way is an understatement. I don't follow vocaloid music so all of the songs were new to me, but I think that speaks to the strength of this album. It's approachable no matter what path led you to it. I will say that the promoted songs gave me the expectation of a bit more rock elements that came up rather short on the album overall. But there are still some gems on Vocalo Zanmai I'd recommend: "いろは唄(Iroha Uta)" which probably has the strongest electric guitar presence on the entire album. "Episode.0" showcases the duel vocalists in the group in an epic, historic drama soundtrack worthy ballad. And "脳漿炸裂ガール(Noushou Sakuretsu Girl)", a rapid fire delivery, quirky, hand-clapper that should get just about anyone up out of their seats. If you're in need of something to spice up your playlists, this is your album.

International

2chp5d2.jpg

akissforjersey - New Bodies

tags: post-hardcore, christian

Normally I shy a way from bands that label themselves "Christian". I just don't enjoy feeling beat over the head with lyrics about Jesus. Probably aided in part that I'm not of Christian faith. But when it comes to akissforjersey, the lyrics definitely aim more for spirituality and inner strength instead outright religious praise. And their strong emotional focus makes them one of my long time favorite bands. They are one of those bands that takes their sweet ass time between releases, hardly tour, and print in usually short runs for anything merch related. BUT, their albums are ALWAYS worth the wait.

ixvwn7.jpg

††† - Crosses

tags: electronic rock, alternative, post rock

Well, you can pretty much put Chino Moreno (of Deftones fame) in any group and it's like 99% guaranteed I'll stan for it. Crosses is no different. In fact the dreamy new wave and post-rock edge to the music suits his haunting voice perfectly. Why is this project just coming into my life now? The self titled album was amazing in every way I could have wanted and if you're into the new 80s electronic revival in music trend, you absolutely need to check out this album. I can't get enough of it.

33ff22r.jpg

Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

tags: dance punk, indie rock

The album finally happened this year, 10 years after the first. And 3 years after the band's reunion. Living up to that kind of hype is basically impossible, but this album is still everything it needed to be. Fun, fast, and just as good as the first one. If you enjoyed Death From Above 1979's funky dance punk debut, you should should get your hands on The Physical World a.s.a.p. Even if you've never heard of them before, this is an album that will improve your life. I am not even kidding around.

2qlwmlu.jpg

Emarosa - Versus

tags: alternative, emo

I've been a fan of Emarosa since their debut album. It was one of those random "Hey, you like ______ so could you check out our band?" messages I think a lot of people get when you follow a lot of bands. And lucky for me (or maybe them? lol) I did actually enjoy the band. After their previous album, former vocalist Jonny Craig was booted from the band and Emarosa took on a long period of radio silence. Rumors swirled but finally they resurfaced with ex. Squid The Whale front man Bradley Walden on the mic. And while Versus leaves behind most of their post-hardcore style, the more approachable alternative rock songs show massive steps forward in maturity and compositional growth. It's become my favorite Emarosa album so far. If we were only speaking in American releases, this is definitely my AOTY.

2ef5j4m.jpg

FrnkIero AndThe Cellabration - Stomachaches

tags: punk, garage rock

It's kind of crazy how many albums made my list this year that I checked out on a whim. I was never much of a My Chemical Romance fan. Gerard Way's vocals were always a little too grating for my tastes. But the more garage rock driven approach Frank Iero has spawned since the split is right in my wheelhouse. Or maybe things just sound that much different without Gerard. I'm not sure, I never got too far past MCR music videos if I'm being brutally honest here. And I checked out this album simply because the cover art was interesting to me. But I'm really really glad I did because these songs are a collection of punk anthems I won't be able to get unstuck from my mind for a quite some time. I definitely recommend this album if you loved or hated MCR. Frank Iero's got his own thing and it's awesome.

dcfqj9.jpg

Geri X - White Light

tags: indie rock, americana

Geri X was a my favorite random find this year. I didn't find one of her albums online. I actually got to experience her live first and foremost. She opened for David Cook (American Idol winner) with no back up band. Just her and her guitar and the remnants of a chest cold making her voice even more husky and sultry than usual. And she still was magical that night. Her style is dark and atmospheric indie rock with poetic, introspective lyrics about love and family. I couldn't believe she was actually just the local opener, with a small but dedicated fanbase. I hope posting about her here gets her a few more. She deserves it.

70bd6u.jpg

GOGO STAR - 망가진 밤

tags: electronic rock

I've been anticipating a new GOGO STAR album for a couple of years now, and I wasn't disappointed with 망가진 밤 (Broken Night). The band has a way with fun quirky electronic rock. They're definitely far and away from the typical sound most people think of when they think of popular Korean music. But it shouldn't be so, GOGO STAR have something to offer everyone. I think their sound is especially approacheable for those who enjoy Japanese music as it seems to take a lot of influence from the J-indie scene. I highly recommend MHer's give them a shot.

1z5ktc9.jpg

Issues - Issues

tags: post-hardcore, pop

I initially became interested in Issues due to their vocalists both being previous vocalists for Woe, Is Me, who I was big fan of. Though Issues has very little in common with the previous project. Issues merges post-hardcore with rnb, hip-hop, and pop music to create something really very special. Not to mention Tyler Carter has argueably one of the best clean voices in the post-hardcore scene, with the ability to sing all of these genres and more. I can't recommend this band to people enough, you should definitely give their self titled album a spin no matter what genre of music you favor. There's something in there for you.

e0kc50.jpg

Life and Time - The Great Deep

tags: garage rock, psychedelic rock

Don't let those let those Kpop idol babyfaces fool you, these guys play some amazing garage rock that sounds like it's played by fogeys three times their ages. It's that good and that genuine. When I finally looked up what the band looked like I couldn't believe that was actually their picture. I'm posting this and still expecting someone to tell me that picture is wrong because it's just so hard to believe this music is coming out of them. But if you can dig some 60s psychadelic rock vibes, you should love this mini album.

1zp1tzo.jpg

입술을 깨물다 - FINE

tags: indie rock, pop, ballad

When someone talks about Korean indie rock, 입술을 깨물다 (Lips-Bite) are pretty much the a-typical sound that comes to mind. But I have to say the quality of the songs just hit above everything else I heard this year, and the mini album is cohesive and solid all the way through. I checked out this release at random, knowing nothing about this group, now I'm a little distressed that there is so little information about them (at least on English search engines). But I advise checking them out if you're into K-indie and Kpop, or you know... indie or pop from any other country.

21o816r.jpg

Slaves - Through Art We Are All Equals

tags: post-hardcore, alternative

If you read my Emarosa blurb, then you know they booted a vocalist not that long ago. This would be the very same vocalist, Jonny Craig's, new project. Jonny didn't only come back with a band of heavy hitters (members from Hearts & Hands, as well as Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows), but enlisted cameos from Tyler Carter (ex. Woe, Is Me and currently Issues), rapper Kyle Lucas, and Vic Fuentes (Pierce The Veil). The album walks the fine line between post-hardcore and alternative rock, but it definitely showcases Craig's soulful vocal style front and center. While the album really isn't groundbreaking, it is a fresh approach to a popular genre and an easy listen that I think you'll like. I know I do. :)

Good to see B-T there~ :3 Also, I somehow totally forgot that the Crosses album came out this year... a solid release nevertheless!

There's some stuff on here that I might check out later, mainly the Japanese 'core stuff I've missed out on this year (like I know Crystal Lake are pretty rad but I somehow never listen to them that much). Some possibly interesting international picks too, gonna go "hunting" there in the first weeks of the new year I guess. :D

Couldn't deny the power of B-T! XD And the Crosses album was pretty early in the year so I can't blame people for thinking it felt a little far off.

Not sure if you're into the older Crystal Lake releases but they're pretty different since Gaku and Ryo joined. But since our boy also is drum support (or is he official now? idk) for Hone Your Sense, it might be up your alley. 

Good luck hunting! Hopefully something good sticks for you.

Ohh, a tier-list!

Hehe, I can't believe BABYMETAL is the band we have in common on our lists. I'm glad at least one other Reviewer appreciates their ridiculousness :D

So far, the bands I'm most interested in checking out are DuelJewel, a crowd of rebellion (almost a VK vibe from the way they mix genres and the over-the-top clean vox?), Age Factory, and UNLIMITS from the Japanese lists.

I remember listening to Death From Above 1979 back in the day -- I had no idea it was 10 years since their last album! I'll have to check this out, because it's a style of music that was sorely missing from my playlist this year. I actually checked out Emarosa earlier this year (I think you shared them on Facebook or Plug or something). A decent album overall, but the music video song was still the highlight for me; that guy has a good voice! GOGO STAR sounds pretty neat too! I still have a lot to learn about Korean music.

LOL. inorite? Babymetal was one of the more fun releases this year. Also the constant chaos their presence creates is always fun for me to read in the blogosphere. 

I think DuelJewel, Age Factory, and UNLIMITS will be easy listens. a crowd of rebellion is the wildcard, but if you are fan of the duality in scream-y chorus to more melodic hooks similar to vk and the higher voice pitch I think you'll enjoy them. 

Yeah, 10 years went by fast, huh? XD I know for sure I spammed Emarosa on fb, but chances are high I played them in plug too. The Korean rock scene is so much smaller than Japan's and is also a lot harder to get info but there's a few good sites I could recommend if you're interested in finding more.

holy fuck The Physical World is good

I'm so glad you gave it a shot! It's amazing. Were you a fan of the first album too? I think they're basically on equal footing.

Never heard of them before trying this :3

Oh even more kudos for trying them, in that case. Then I definitely recommend their first (and only other) album "You're a Woman, I'm a Machine" too. 10 years old and still sounds fresh. :)

DuelJewel ...I remember reading your full review for their album, but never got around to check it out. These samples sound pretty good. How long have they been around? The vocalist sounds much different than I was expecting, so I'm guessing he's from an entirely different school of Vk vocalists?

MUCC - so THIS is where your name comes from! You'll probably denounce me as a friend after hearing this, but I've never actually listened to any MUCC albums before. Would this be a good starting point?

和楽器バンド - why haven't i listened to this yet? @___@

Death From Above 1979 - this sounds fantastic. Was actually supposed to listen to this with sweetholm when it came out, but we didn't get around to it and I completely forgot about it til now.

Geri X - you recommended this to be before, but hearing the samples I need to push it up in my queue

Life and Time - wow, this sounds great. loving the retro vibes. Great to hear stuff like this out of Korea.

Thanks for taking the time to make this ender. I was already somewhat familiar with your taste from our plug sessions, but it's always great to get a more indepth look and find out a bit more about scenes that I'm unfamiliar with.

I also have a few new things to check out now.

DuelJewel are oldschool, they've been around since '97. Hayato does have an interesting neo-classical style about his voice, and his voice is a bit lower than a typical vk singer so he's always stood out, imo.

Dangit, Cat. MUCC and Wagakki Band, howwwww. Get it together! XD

But yeah, for current MUCC you can start with END OF THE WORLD or their last album Shangri-La. That'll give you what they're all about these days. The farther back you go the darker and more alt. metal they get. 

*throws CDs at you until you listen to them* That Death From Above 1979 will not disappoint you, I promise!

There is really a lot of cool stuff coming out of the Korean rock scene, it's just not half as accessible as their Japanese counterparts and the pop artists tend to hog all the spotlight so these kind of bands get lost in the shuffle. I'm happy to give some a little time in the sun, especially bands like Life and Time who deserve it.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to go through the list. That's just about as daunting a task as it was to make it. lol.

Sign in to follow this