Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Jigsaw's 2014 Favorites

Jigsaw's favorite Japanese releases 2014

或いはアナーキー by BUCK-TICK

qrf6ut.jpg eja06.jpg

Ever since 2009's memento mori there hasn't been a BUCK-TICK album that was

as much fun as this latest gem, fittingly titled Arui wa Anarchy. From the rowdy

tounge-in-cheek opener to the ethereally beautiful closing track, this is Atsushi &

co. at their surreal, sensual best, delivering one catchy pop-rock hook at a time.

Sample: Devil'N Angelボードレールで眠れない

DIStopping by Charisma.com

313t2ee.jpg 32znxpt.jpg

Charisma.com came, saw and conquered me with their ridiculously catchy mash-up

of electronic, pop and hip-hop elements. Infectious beats and clever raps are on the

menu here that will surely please even the most jaded pop fanatics. If you just

want something fun and cool to listen or dance to, look no further.

Sample: イイナヅケブルーハッピーターン

ARCHE by DIR EN GREY

1ylv5s.jpg 2itn9xt.jpg

DIR EN GREY take no prisoners as they unleash one of their most eclectic albums

to date, ARCHE. Spiritually continuing on the path of its dark and proggy

predecessor, the songs are tailored to regular rock listeners' taste this time.

The outcome, however, is far from being regular. It's an atmospheric,

kaleidoscopic ride with enough twists and turns to keep you on your toes.

Sample: 空谷の跫音 / Revelation of mankind

NERO by ギャロ

5chc7b.jpg 2urkwar.jpg

I'm only a recently converted THE GALLO listener but even so, it's not hard to

see why their 2nd full-length NERO is so wonderful. The band takes cues from

all over the visual kei spectrum to construct their own quirky style where nostalgic

melodies and sheer aggressivity are good neighbors (and then there's Jojo's

ridiculous vibrato). A nice colorful surprise coming from the indies-VK scene.

Sample: 夢葬大日本黒鶏主義者聯盟行進曲イ短調

終焉 by グリーヴァ

aaygau.jpg 2mdp3s1.jpg

Grieva is like a machine pumping out release after release, but thankfully this

doesn't show much in the quality of their catalogue. Shueen is another proof of

why I consider them to be the premiere "nostalgia kei" act. It's got attitude,

mystical atmosphere and songs coming at you like a kote-kei rollercoaster.

Sample: Lost tears

HER NAME IN BLOOD by HER NAME IN BLOOD

2rh1p9y.jpg 2qamr9g.jpg

HER NAME IN BLOOD's eponymous second album is a no-nonsense kick in the teeth

(or ears?), and you're guaranteed to be grinning when it's over. Their caveman-like

explosive aggression is close to being unrivaled but at the same time they haven't

forgotten to include some melodic bits either. Just an all-around badass record.

Sample: HALO / ZERO (FUCKED UP WORLD)

ABSOLUTE SENSES by HONE YOUR SENSE

24329vc.jpg flli5i.jpg

The debut album of HONE YOUR SENSE is simply a beast. If you want to know what

it's like to be torn to shreds by a whirlwind of metalcore, death metal and melodic

extreme metal, then this is your poison. This relentlessly heavy and unexpectedly

catchy full-length is a true diamond in the rough in the underground J-metal scene.

Sample: BLACK LOTUS / THE LAST MAN STANDING

Heart by KAMIJO

6on7ko.jpg 2prur5t.jpg

KAMIJO, the uncrowned king & queen of cheese starts off strong with his debut

album Heart, leaving former bandmates Jupiter in the dust. This album is packed

with the stuff you expect from the vocalist: epic melodies, fluffy piano and synth

flourishes and some symphonic rockin' too, of course. It has just enough variety

to keep your interest, making this quite a smooth (and fun!) listen.

Sample: 闇夜のライオン / Moulin Rouge

LOST by Lillies and Remains

ruo1ht.jpg izw3ee.jpg

As soon as I heard LOST, I knew it would be the staple Lillies and Remains release

for me, and that hasn't changed throughout the whole year (not even with their

subsequent full-length). Six tracks of expertly crafted pop-rock with touches of

new wave, post-punk and even some gothic influences. Simply beautiful!

Sample: This City / You Stand Alone

SOVILLETTA & SEXIVIA by SPEECIES

xehe8o.jpgs25wux.jpg 15odkjb.jpg

What a treat to able to listen to two albums by SPEECIES within a few weeks' time!

Mastermind Sadie Pink Galaxy continues where he left off on his first record, that is

delivering oodles of fun and weird lo-tech jams. It's like the '80s never left – rather,

they hid out in a dingy basement to make new-wave electrojunk tunes for the initiated.

Sample: MUZIK / HARDCOWALSKI

IMMORTALIS by sukekiyo

2ro6b7m.jpg 5v253s.jpg

sukekiyo's debut is typically one of those albums you might be confused by on first

listen but then you have an urge to come back to it, to re-discover its every corner.

And boy, there's sure plenty to discover here! Kyo and his band of merry men

concocted a curious mixture of avant-garde rock coupled with proggy and folksy

bits that sneaks up on you. Before you notice, you're hooked!

Sample: in all weathers / hidden one

賑やかな食卓 by the god and death stars

11aygq9.jpg icvbyh.jpg

the god and death stars, being a band fronted by aie, is a project I'll always hold

dear to my heart. I was somewhat disappointed with their first full-length, but

none of that feeling is present on their latest mini album. Nigiyakana shokutaku

is a wonderful display of the band's usual grungy, melancholic garage-rock style

woven into hypnotic songs that will burrow their way into your ears.

Sample: 出来事と偶然の為の媒体隣人林

晩成 by THE HAKKIN

juju6e.jpg n3lyww.jpg

As I love that typical '80s new wave sound, THE HAKKIN were like a godsend for me.

Their first relatively longer offering Bansei (or "Bansay") is only a mini album but it

delivers in spades! Addictive emotional vocals fuse with catchy synth sparkles and

guitar lines that evoke old affairs like COMPLEX and newer acts like cali≠gari at the

same time. Perfect listening for misty-eyed nostalgia enthusiasts.

Sample: NO NO モチベーション / Tokyo Lung

Jigsaw's favorite non-Japanese releases 2014

The Necrotic Manifesto by Aborted
28lz6z4.jpg 2ez67aw.jpg
Following their impeccable album Global Flatline, Aborted's new sensory attack
The Necrotic Manifesto provides more of the same razor-sharp death metal brutality
laced with grindcore elements. Blastbeats, breakdowns and killer solos are executed
precisely like clockwork, making this a formidable entry in modern extreme metal.

Hellish by Apey & the Pea
1628boy.jpg vec31e.jpg
Although their name is kind of ridiculous, Apey & the Pea are no laughing matter.
In their latest full-length Hellish, this stoner/doom power trio drops gargantuan riffs
and sweet grooves one after the other like it's nobody's business. If you crave some
metallic heaviness tinged with grungy vocals, this should soothe your appetite.

Broke with Expensive Taste by Azealia Banks
hvqfx4.jpg 2cojvwo.jpg
The self-proclaimed queen of "witch hop" (whatever that might be) finally serves up
her first album, and it comes with a bang! Broke with Expensive Taste is a colorful
playground of cool samples, versatile beats, dance-pop bangers, plus a machine-gun
rap or two. Perfect music to (get drunk and) shake your ass to.

The Flesh Prevails by Fallujah
2u9kdqe.jpg 11ul0t0.jpg
The evolution of Fallujah is quite impressive, considering they started out as an
unremarkable deathcore quintet that have now become a progressive tech-death
force to be reckoned with. Continuing where they left off on their previous EP, The
Flesh Prevails is a gorgeous powerhouse of crushing brutality and ethereal grace,
so perfectly illustrated by the cover art. Fallujah has prevailed!

Commune by Goat
mhrdhu.jpg otd6ye.jpg
The band name might conjure up images of occult retro-metal clichés but Goat is
an entirely different beast. Their music sounds somewhat nostalgic and timeless
at the same time, blurring together krautrock minimalism, pulsating afrobeat and
freaky but gentle psychedelic rock tendencies into an exotic mixture. This is one
commune I'd gladly join any time!

At the Idyll's End by Gustave Tiger
10dfwox.jpg 2yllqag.jpg
Gustave Tiger immediately won my heart with this charmingly kooky and hectic
art-punk attack somewhere on the crossroads of White Lung and the Pixies. In
a handful of short bursts they go from calm to manic while weaving a grungy wall
of noise into the mix and not forgetting about catchy hooks either. One of the
more intriguing sounding bands I had the pleasure of listening to this past year.

Spectre by Laibach
23h6gxj.jpg jhshz9.jpg
Martial industrial/EBM masters Laibach cooked up one of their most accessible
albums to date, and they did it quite effectively. With some of the tracks bordering
on tame synth pop but still retaining their signature darkness (plus cynicism and
deadpan humor), Spectre seems like a good introduction for newcomers and a
nice change for hardened old-time listeners too.

Elddop by Martyrdöd
s4npdi.jpg ao5quf.jpg
The title of Martyrdöd's latest translates as "baptism of fire" and it sure is a fiery
blaze in our ear canals. Blackened crustcore is the name of the game, and the
guys are in top shape to deliver some well-deserved kicks in the balls. Sweeping,
aggressive but also melodious. A rock-solid entry in the band's crusty catalogue.

Gay Dog Food by Mykki Blanco
j93qxy.jpg 2dkbr5z.jpg
Always one to shock people, Mykki Blanco's new mixtape is a colorful mish-mash of
styles and influences ranging from trippy hip-hop to noisy industrial sounds and lo-fi
electro-minimalism. Despite the initial quirkiness and weirdness of the tracks (not to
mention the hilarious interludes), it's a fun and addictive musical journey if you have
a thing for unconventional and out-of-the-box rappers.

Hanyatlás by PETOFI
213mald.jpg 29f6sec.jpg
Relative newcomers PETOFI knocked me off my feet with their debut EP. With a
venomous cocktail of anguished screamo and breakneck melodic hardcore, these
guys know how to make one hell of an entrance! Their hectic style is elevated by
poetic lyrics that add extra pathos and fury to PETOFI's brand of hardcore.

I Cannot See For Miles & Piresian Beach/Matthias von Stumberger
by Piresian Beach
rw5bww.jpg14dlr3r.jpg 35nd4hy.jpg
The Hungarian queen of lo-fi pop has been quite active as always, delivering a
new stand-alone EP and another bundle of songs in collaboration with fellow
Slovenian noise-maker Matthias von Stumberger. Both releases are jam-packed
with good ol' overdriven guitar noise and '60s inspired garage/psych-rock licks,
complemented by excellent crooning female vocals.

St. Vincent by St. Vincent
xo1v90.jpg msyf4j.jpg
I have completely fallen in love with the self-titled album of art-rock princess Annie
Clark, a.k.a. St. Vincent. It's a record with a peculiar vibe. It sounds as artificial as it
is organic, and this strange duality is further strengthened by the overall variety of
the songs. From danceable tunes to melancholic meditations, this release has it all!

To Be Kind by Swans
2dcgzly.jpg ap714j.jpg
Swans' latest output is a gigantic double album clocking just over two hours. Noisy,
experimental and completely heavy in atmosphere, this strange post-rock monolith
perfectly encompasses what current Swans is all about. It's a menacing aural trip
with repetitive, tribal (and outright primal) stylings that shouldn't be missed.

Melana Chasmata by Triptykon
vz95k9.jpg rm390n.jpg
Melana Chasmata, "deep black chasms" is one towering behemoth of a record!
Tom Warrior (of Celtic Frost fame) and his partners in crime sculpted a beautiful
ebony-black slab of avant-garde metal with doomy and extreme overtones. The
result is so breathtaking that this just might be my absolute favorite metal album
of the year. Tortured and beautiful, highly recommended!

Nice list! Short, sweet, and straight forward. And a surprising range of artists too!

Co-signed: Buck-Tick, Sukekiyo
These two also made my list. Both are amazing albums for sure!

Likes: The Gallo, Hone Your Sense, Her Name In Blood, Lillies and Remains
I also liked all of these albums this year. Absolute Senses was really really close to being on my list. There was just so much to pick from and maybe I just needed to spend a little more time with that CD. 

Thanks for these: Apey & The Pea, Martyrdöd, PETOF
I'll definitely be looking into music from these three. I think Apey & The Pea the most since I need more doom/sludge metal in my life. It's so hard to find good stuff in that genre these days. And for the other two, I'm always looking for more good -core stuff. Never enough! XD

We have more than a couple of releases that we both enjoyed this year, as expected from someone I discuss music with on an almost daily basis. That Mykki Blanco PV still scares the shit out of me. There's not enough acid in the world to describe what was going on in that video. Mostly I like how varied your list is. I feel like there's something for everyone if they really want to find something new. Great list!

Awesome list, Jig!  I'm most interested in checking out Charisma.com, THE GALLO, Goat, Gustave Tiger, and Piresian Beach.

I already love The God and Death Stars, so naturally, I will need to listen to that mini as well. And Sukekiyo has been on my "need to check dem out" list since the MH tradeoff. 

l've never given Lillies and Remains a chance, but their music seems right up my alley; maybe I can get over the vocals!

Yay for shuuen. but i thought your description of HNIB was off, pretty weak to me.

Looks like everyone is impressed with the NERO album. I must give that a listen as soon as possible. My only fear in doing so is that I'll regret not putting it somewhere on my list. xD I knew most and heard the albums of the majority in the Japanese section and I must tell you, awesome picks Jig! You've pretty much sealed the deal in my having to hear that record of BUCK-TICK's, I don't give these guys enough attention.

I feel horrible to admit this but, all those artists in the non-Japanese post I have never heard of... Still, having given them all listens, I'm really digging St. Vincent (DAT BEAT) and Goat (too much wow, wow). Awesome PVs at that too, and those art covers, goodness me! (The Flesh Prevails one in particular!) I've heard of Azealia Banks actually, but only because of a certain feud, admittedly, but she's actually got a very good voice and catchy songs. 

It's such a varied favourites, great music taste as I had thought. And you've structed this so neatly and clearly too at that. Awesome job Jig. I look forward to looking into more of these artists and I hope you enjoy their upcoming releases. 

Thanks a ton for taking the time to make this, jig! I didn't expect you to do one, but I'm glad you did. Your format was actually the inspiration for my format this year - really like how simple, neat and direct your list is.

I'm digging ギャロ...or is it THE GALLO???

Either way, need to give them a spin.

HONE YOUR SENSE sounds pretty cool...specifically the 2nd sample.

Martyrdöd was also on zess's list, so seeing it here again, I definitely need to wrap my ears around this.

Was also great to see Goat on this list! That was an album I really enjoyed from last year as well!

Was also great to see Goat on this list! That was an album I really enjoyed from last year as well!

Oi! This is a band people should catch live as well if they get the chance. Magnificent live band. Just to put that out there.

Sign in to follow this