paradoxal

[SOLVED] Tagging your uploads

Since tagging is now mandatory in the DL section, I thought it would be useful to have a thread where to discuss correct tags for each release. So if you have any problems how you should tag a certain release, feel free to discuss it here!

And to my own problem:

At least I'm not too familiar with different genres, and I'm really unsure how I should tag my uploads. I know that for 99% of my uploads, the correct tags would at least be visual kei, rock and male vocalist. But is there any use for the tagging system, if almost every release is tagged like that?

Would it look weird, if I used the tag electronic combined with the previously mentioned tags to tag releases, that use a lot of synths? Bands I specifically have in mind are Royz, Lycaon and Arlequin.

Is the tag neo visual kei a proper tag for new bands, that have started eg. after 2010?

Could NEMETH's Creature be tagged as metalcore, metal or something else? (video here)

Should we use the tags major and indie as well?

Sis, I think tagging is useless.

I mean it's not like tags will help in search. Tags like male vocalist or metal will be in lots and lots of uploads.

Ok, you tagged it perfectly, others didn't. It will be a mess.

Just leave it be.

oh, i thought "tagging" in the new rules refers to metadata of files (track name, artist, etc.)?

i've never used the forum tags since the only one i'll use is "visual kei", which kinda defeats the purpose since everything in the forum is visual kei anyway D:

maybe a mod can clarify this..

I'm tagging my dl threads with the name of the band in both kanji and romanji (I thought it was that) I'm doing it wrong since day one ToT

I've changed my mind. I've read search topic and i think tags are our saviours, they should be used to tag short bandnames. Tags can be 3 characters short, maybe shorter (summoning admins to approve). At least there's "pop" tag - 3 characters. If tags support kanji and kana they can be used for short japanese bandnames.

So there will be a way to find D releases via tags.

I'm tagging my dl threads with the name of the band in both kanji and romanji (I thought it was that) I'm doing it wrong since day one ToT

You're doing it right.

I should clarify the rules then since I now realize "tag" is ambiguous. Tagging files refers to the metadata of the music itself, not to the post. So all tracks uploaded should have album, artist field, track number, etc. filled in. Feel free to add any tags to the post which will describe the contents of the release.

Sis, I think tagging is useless.
I mean it's not like tags will help in search. Tags like male vocalist or metal will be in lots and lots of uploads.

Ok, you tagged it perfectly, others didn't. It will be a mess.
Just leave it be.

You're supposed to search for more than one tag at a time to find a combination of things you like. Searching through music one tag at a time is more useless than our search function.

I should clarify the rules then since I now realize "tag" is ambiguous. Tagging files refers to the metadata of the music itself, not to the post. So all tracks uploaded should have album, artist field, track number, etc. filled in. Feel free to add any tags to the post which will describe the contents of the release.

You're supposed to search for more than one tag at a time to find a combination of things you like. Searching through music one tag at a time is more useless than our search function.

Aah right, I just assumed you meant tagging the post. Lol. Having the correct metadata seemed too obvious :D

Aah right, I just assumed you meant tagging the post. Lol. Having the correct metadata seemed too obvious :D

You would think but apparently untagged uploads happen often enough for it to be needed as a rule.

Also note that this has nothing to do with tags being corrupted upon download. That's outside the control of the uploader. While nice, I don't expect anyone to go out of their way to fix it when it happens. That's what including the track list in the post is for.

Noone was talking about track taging i think. Everything was about forums topic tags.

Imo that's a rare case when you have no idea what you're searching.

There's no certain tagging rule => tags are random. It also depends on person's way of thinking. I would tag Rose Noire as "violin" and I did when uploaded their disco. But there's more Rose Noire stuff uploaded and it's not tagged as "violin". This tag is really obvious from my side, but noone used it.

When it comes to genre tagging things become more complicated as people points of view on genre categorising differ.

Tagging is not bad, it's just imprecise.