Maiku

What are you reading?

Recently finished The Magus by John Fowles. Goddamn, the edition I read has to be one of the absolute worst printing jobs i've ever seen. Pages where the last letters of each word are cut off, random white spots in the middle of pages that make the letters unreadable, shitloads of intact typos, sentences where words are repeated ''like like this''... It's like they didn't bother proofreading the thing at all. Embarrassing. Novel itself was... alright. Couldn't get into it for the first hundred pages or so, then gradually began to warm up to it, then began to lose my interest in it again when the ending just kept dragging on

IT Books:

• [Self-Learning] Understanding ECMAScript 6 by Nicholas C. Zakas
  • [Classes] Murach's PHP & MySQL
    • ...and ASP.NET w/ C# ... (👀 kill me, give me back my JavaScript. At least I get to work w/ OOP in another language)

Novels:

• The Nocturnal Brain: Tales of Nightmares and Neuroscience by Guy Leschziner

• Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow

• I was reading Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes, but it got boring pretty quickly. I need to find another travel novel to read at some point.

Tried giving 300.000.000 by Blake Butler another chance cuz I dropped it partway through the first time around. I'm almost done with it this time but I've REALLY had to force myself through it at points. Sometimes there's some genuinely interesting and grotesque imagery sprinkled throughout and some of the ideas are certainly quite cool... but at the same time a significant chunk of the novel's text just reads like edgy schizo-tier word salad and it gets to a point where you just kinda feel your eyes glazing over when you spend more than a handful of pages on that kinda stuff... also the author really noticeably overuses certain words & metaphors - you can pretty much create a drinking game based on the number of times the author uses the words 'cream' or 'creamy' in some variety for instance.

MkdNAmu.jpg

Just started this and it's straight flames so far! Literally just a few pages in and tons of light bulbs have already gone off in my head. Looking forward to getting deeper into this one...

Just started reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett yesterday. Somehow never dove into it before (prolly because of its length) but I have all the time in the world nowadays so why not. I'm still at the beginning but so far it's very easy and good to read. I'm usually not really interested in medieval stuff so my enjoyment is a surprise even for myself, haha.

I'm also in the middle of reading Hungarian translations of the "complete works" (vol.2) of H.P. Lovecraft and a book on the history and surviving documents of the Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor. Yeahhhh occult time baybeee lmao

I just finished (a Hungarian edition of) Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice. I liked the narrative structure and I thought it had a really cool premise (a djinn telling more or less the story of his life up till the present day), but towards the end the plot became kinda stereotypical melodramatic pulp fiction / fantasy schlock. I didn't mind that much tho, overall it was an enjoyable reading experience. I haven't read anything else by the author yet, so I don't know how this would stack up to her other works.

...aaand I'm still on the Lovecraft anthology and the Ken Follett book, so gonna continue with those now I guess.

Edited by Jigsaw9

On 12/31/2019 at 10:34 PM, CAT5 said:

MkdNAmu.jpg

Just started this and it's straight flames so far! Literally just a few pages in and tons of light bulbs have already gone off in my head. Looking forward to getting deeper into this one...

I went ahead and bought a hard copy, since this book is truly a great reference and a treasure trove of wisdom. Bought the 2nd book as well, and looking forward to digging into it!

t9H4Osm.jpg

Started reading the Southern Reach trilogy from Jeff VanderMeer not long ago: already finished Annihilation and now I'm in the middle of the 2nd book, Authority. So far so good, I enjoy the mystery and the surreal nature of what's happening. Although I wonder how long it can keep up the suspense while not much concrete is being revealed (or maybe that's the point? :^)). We'll see...

reading the fucking Malazan Book of the Fallen right now. i'm currently on the 3rd book and shit only started to make some sense there. i wonder if this is gonna become my favourite fantasy franchise, hmmmm...

In the middle of the Red Rising series and I am facing some severe sadness and suffering. Really awesome stuff tho if you want to see what happens when you get a more matured version of hunger games with some seasoning of game of thrones thrown in there but it takes place in space.

14 hours ago, sleepy coffee said:

In the middle of the Red Rising series and I am facing some severe sadness and suffering. Really awesome stuff tho if you want to see what happens when you get a more matured version of hunger games with some seasoning of game of thrones thrown in there but it takes place in space.

i like this series as well! first trilogy was very good, even though many plots and twists were predictable and too blockbusterish/cheesy for my tastes. however, 4th book (aka 1st book in the second trilogy) was much less entertaining than the other books and already felt like just milking of the initial trilogy. hence i'm quite reluctant to read the 5th book, but i saw people were praising it a lot, so i will get to it eventually.

finally finished Malazan Book of the Fallen. well. what can i say? simply brilliant. masterpiece. best series i've ever read. A Song of Ice and Fire feels like a child's play in comparison to this. also makes me sad because i doubt there would be any series that is better than this one. anyway, i'm looking forward to reading other books from the Malazan universe and also my next re-reads of MBotF.

Edited by Gaz
typo

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

however, 4th book (aka 1st book in the second trilogy) was much less entertaining than the other books and already felt like just milking of the initial trilogy. hence i'm quite reluctant to read the 5th book,

Ah well I'll have to wait and see since I'm still in the middle of the 3rd book but I might end up being biased enough I'll love the rest of the series as well 

I've been reading some of my VK books that I have in my collection when I have free time. The Malice Mizer interview book 異端審問 (Itanjinmon or Inquisition) is fun to pick up for a few minutes and read. So far, I had fun reading about Yu~ki's "Hermit lifestyle", and how Mana-sama loves reading fan mail (yes, he does read as much of it as possible!)