sai

CD prices: VK vs. non-VK

Perhaps the title is a bit misleading as this isn't really going to be a VK vs. non-VK thread, but after reading the NB thread I figured this might be an interesting point of discussion, so I'm making a thread for this instead of going off-topic.

Anyway, the main question is why are the prices of Visual Kei CDs higher than non-Visual Kei CDs? In order to keep it a fair discussion, let's say that when we'll be comparing artists we'll make sure these artists are either both major or indie and play around the same size of venues.

I myself always thought the price difference was because of the amount of money that's put into hair, make-up and costumes, but that would be plausible for indie bands who have to do lots of that themselves. There are plenty of major bands who still charge these prices even though they get that stuff paid for them, so where's the difference?

There are plenty of major bands who still charge these prices even though they get that stuff paid for them, so where's the difference?

Does it matter who pays for it? If they have a label/management that pays for it, it's most likely the label/management that sets the prices too, and they would add their expenses for costumes to the price as well, wouldn't they? Or are you thinking of sponsorships here, ie. brands giving the outfits for free as a sort of advertising? If that is a thing.

And assuming the outfits are the reason for higher prices to begin with (I have no clue to be honest, and I never really noticed. XD)

I don't think VK prices are actually higher (or noticeably higher) than most non-VK stuff. I tend to see regular J-rock or major J-pop releases in exactly the same price range. However, I did notice that some bands from the post-hardcore / deathcore / emocore / etc.-core scenes have lower prices on their CDs, also some select indie artists.

Yea i would say normal jpop stuff is usually as expensive as vk? just looked at cdjapan and randomly clicked on the new Aldious album and it had similar prices. AKB48s new single also. Johnnys stuff, etc etc.

I wouldnt say that vk is the (more expensive) exception. More like cheaper stuff is the exception.

I also don't find significant differences between the cost of vk and non-vk stuff, however I do notice that vk releases come in multiple types a lot more frequently (the upcoming v-neu- release has what..10 types?!), whereas jpop stuff usually have at most 2 (limited edition + regular edition).

From what I've noticed everything is in about the same category unless you go to the more indie/underground hardcore bands like coldrain, my first story, and whatever else there's there. Those albums are usually quite a bit cheaper than others'. Most of these bands get their money from doing lives everywhere though. They never stop touring. Always on the road.

I think it just depends on the record label, maybe.  I've noticed that prices vary in visual kei, ADAMS (I don't even know if they are visual lol) and LIPHLICH usually have lower prices than MEJIBRAY and Lycaon.  I've noticed that Ayumi's CD's are reasonably priced.  Dir en Grey and the GazettE are both expensive, is it because they are popular or because they are signed to greedy record labels? 

So ranging from indie to major, prices vary with both visual and non.  

this is what I think when I notice that VK cds are usually more expensive than non VK indies. Well, full album usually priced 3000 yen for VK (regular ed), no matter if they are indie or major. Non VK indies full album usually priced around 1800-2500 yen. This can't be generalized as I mention before,but I think VK is an expensive industry, with glamour costume and pricey CDs, I assume they are just want more money

Guest mitsu the indie girl

DeithX252 I think pretty much summed it up. Nothing to add, really haha He/she said what I wanted to say.