Champ213

Drastic changes in musical taste

I think one just naturally tends to broaden his horizons and over time, many things you listened to do seem vapid.

I think I had two big phases before: trance and visual kei. Now there are only a select bands I might like from both genres. When I used to think that trance was so ephemeral, deep and magical, all I see now are tired cliches and copy-paste beats. Looking at visual kei, it is mostly the same thing: shitty vocalists, lame songs and while previously appealing, now ridiculous costumes. Also, once you realize that the concept of "indie" in vk is a joke and the industry just shits out high-school dropouts in glittering garments, packaged to whatever theme that seems cool.

Now, these things happen in most popular, marketable segments of music. However, these days I'd rather listen even to a "mainstream" artist. At least if this particular artist is held by corporate tentacles, I can still spot even a little bit of sincerity on their part. There is a reason why most former VK artists drop the image and clothes, because even they are embarrassed of it.

Mind you, visual kei can be enjoyable, but if one still keeps listening solely to that past their teens, then I feel sorry for you. Because you clearly have no taste in music whatsoever.

Mind you, visual kei can be enjoyable, but if one still keeps listening solely to that past their teens, then I feel sorry for you. Because you clearly have no taste in music whatsoever.

Dude, lol... fuck you :D. I'm past my teens and closer to my 30s, than 20s, I still like visual kei and I don't comment on tastes of people who listen to the music I dislike. I feel sorry for people who think adults have to be serious and do serious things, this is riddiculous. Just because most of the audience are teenage girls, it doesn't mean anyone else has to suddenly drop their interest, just because their age number became higher.

I'm embarrassed that the first part of diru - different sense got me into growling(hate them now), and i that gazette used to be one of my #1 (just music now).

I don't  think alot of people nessesarily dislike vk more than they just think it's cool to say they dislike vk, ofcourse you do have some who just like vk so they can fan girl about looks, but then you 180 turn as champ said(which I personally don't buy) for example someone will scrobble a band upwards of 300 times then a few months or even years later delete that artist from they're library and act like they never listened to them at all. Then ofcorse dis people who do still listen to vk, and say shit like " stupid fan girl you need to expand your musical taste you know nothing about music." My question is why are you childish for listening to any music and more importantly why does ever think you should have broad knowledge of music because you listen to it, we're no fucking music teachers.

It happened I deleted some artists from last.fm, not because I was ashamed, but I often show it to people who ask about my favorite bands and they asked about the bands I lost my interest in, so I wanted it to show my current taste in music. It has nothing to do with being ashamed of anything.

Then ofcorse dis people who do still listen to vk, and say shit like " stupid fan girl you need to expand your musical taste you know nothing about music."

I've never seen people doing that, it's rather people who don't listen to vk say to vk fans. Unless you mean Gazette fans who know like 3 popular vk bands and they act like they know everything, then it's obvious someone will comment on it.

I've never seen people doing that, it's rather people who don't listen to vk say to vk fans. Unless you mean Gazette fans who know like 3 popular vk bands and they act like they know everything, then it's obvious someone will comment on it.

gotta give the gazette, diru fans the clap back somtimes

gotta give the gazette, diru fans the clap back somtimes

I rarely bump into Diru fans, Gazette fans are like a plague for me xD. But it was just an example of fans of a popular band, who listen to a few popular bands and act like they know everything about vk.

I think changes in a person's music taste depends on who they are mostly. Age might be a factor, but not for everyone. I personally feel there's no way I'll grow out of Jmusic, even if my mum foresees it, aha. My taste in music has been mainly Jmusic for a good few years now ever since I found it after thinking the only music out there was the mainstream pop you see on MTV and such. I still enjoy the music I used to listen to at times. I've never done a full 180° turn, music wise, just language wise I no longer look into anything English and just Asian. It's more like the more I discover/am shown to, the more I get into everything else. I've never been able to move past something I once enjoyed. Yes, even Mr Bieber. Music lovers who suddenly move on from their first love or such might be having a moment in their own life and need a new distraction. Or they might've found something else they believe is a step up. Or because the band has changed, they want to forget they were even ever a thing and find something else to latch their attention onto. It's very startling to see such a thing happen, but even so, it's quite interesting. 

(replies to this thread a year and half late) aight.

i can't really add on much to the opinions already shared. i specially agree with peace and beni's, because they particularly resonate with my own experience.

before i was fourteen, i used to listen to mostly american/european indie pop/rock acts and the like, and i still think most of what i listened to was nice despite not listening to much of it nowadays. when i turned fourteen i met a pretty large group of friends, all of whom were into VK in all of its different variants, and so the exposition Begun. in that sense, while i tried to stick by my own standards in what i liked, i still very much believe it had to do with a thing of maturity and exposition, at least when you're young and naive and whatever. despite the jokes in my re-introduction thread, i still have some SuG songs on my phone, think Lycaon's first LP was neat as hell and that a lot of gazette's NIL songs made me. pretty emotional, so to say. but even so i don't really listen to VK much at all now although 95% of my music taste is japanese based. i think in my case, it was a thing of expanding my horizons and actually getting to know what was out there.

in the end, as Champ originally stated and Peace commented, i think people who drastically change their preferred acts and genres often aren't really as into them as they seem, though there's a lot of other factors that can change what you enjoy music wise that could be perceived as that. in fact, i think there's way too many things that can influence what you music you enjoy: what did you grow listening to, whether certain acts have had a personal impact on key moments of your life, whether you prefer intrumentalization over vocalization/viceversa, if you like listening to the radio in your way to walmart, etcetera etcetera. there's people who like to vary a lot on what they listen, and people who can listen to the exact same thing everyday. so, i'd say it's a bit hard to pinpoint that sort of issue in the abstract.