sai

THE JAPANESE ELECTRONICA THREAD

As Aion started one for folk, I'm starting one for electronics! I know Pandabear made a similar thread in Global for all electronic-related music, but I'd like to specify this to instrumental electronics (though some occasional vocals for effect are ok), if you catch my drift. Anyway, to give a few examples and therefore immediately favourites:

ESNO

ESNO basically mixes jazz elements with electronics and the result is his debut album Visionary, released last year. CAT has it in his best of 2012 list, might you be looking for more samples.

M-Koda

All his stuff got deleted off YT recently so this was all that I could find that is fairly recent. M-Koda's tunes are just really ambient and you probably need to be in the mood for this, but I can really recommend checking the album out he released this year, great stuff!

Ametsub

I find Ametsub's stuff hard to describe as he does a bit of everything when it comes to electronics, though I'd probably put him closer to M-Koda than other electronic artists I know. It's ambient, though a bit more upbeat than M-Koda's stuff.

Jimanica

I actually really didn't like his last album because the distorted vocals are just not my thing, but this song off the album greatly impressed me. If you don't mind the vocals, I'd say go for it.

I'd love to hear your contributions!

He's a solo chiptune artist, which basically means he produces these 8bit nintendo game-type songs. Imagine Anamanaguchi with less rock and more dance, I guess?

Weird bleeps & bloops, dude's collaborated w/ Coaltar of the Deepers. Sounds very 'spacey' (if that's even a thing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S549z9eoMQE

Glitchy and extremely minimalist electro. Everything's stripped down to its barest form, but there's still a sort of groove underneath everything.

Once again somewhat glitchy, but at the same time with a very warm, organic sound. I guess it sort of blurs the line between post-rock and electronic music

don't know too many asian electronic acts, but i believe that this tread needs the mention of

Shinichi Osawa

i believe he's on the Kitsune Label, so you kinda get that justice/mr.oizo/edBanger distorted elctro groove kinda feel...

Definitely starting my recs with some good ol' Cornelius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuzNvbHY6yA
It has a bit of that indie-ish flavor but at the same time it's very reminiscent to earlier Shibuya Kei scene - a la Pizzicato Five etc.

Denki Groove (obvious choice from J-electro/techno listeners tbqh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMoX18bzbQ
Bleepitybloopitybloop. :D

Also, Fantastic Plastic Machine and their lovely bossa nova x French pop x techno dabble off earlier days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mn3uJzh1FY

Won't post my obvious favorites though here (which might be "way too mainstream" like say, everything Nakata-related, denpa artists like Saori@destiny etc.)

This is so not my forte when it comes to music, but Jesse Ruins are one of my favorite Japanese electronic groups.

In 2012, they were my "study music" band, haha.  There are technically vocals, but they're so muddled (plus, indiscernible) that they fade right into the music.

Relax with these galactic tunes:

This thread needs to be revived (can't believe I never posted here). Seconding everything sai posted. I'm a fan of most of the stuff coming out of the sphere of Japanese ambient/idm/glitch/minimal scenes and I've also delved into some of the house/club/techno/electro stuff too. Too many loves/likes to mention atm, so I thought i'd post about something new:

New artist out on flau called Noah. With a name as common as that, she nearly slipped under my radars, but she seems pretty promising. Nothing new at all - pretty much your run-of-the-mill ambient/dream-pop(really reminds me of cokiyu, moskitoo, and old piana stuff). Still a nice listen for fans of the style, though!

Also revisited oscillator's "夜音" album recently. Some of the tracks featured some very unappealing vocal-melodies that, to me, didn't mesh too well with the backdrop, but overall it was still "pretty nice", as I remembered. One of the standout tracks from that album imo:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread before. Seconding M-Koda, Ametsub, lycoriscoris.

I'd also like to add:

mergrim

Geskia

New Jimanica is out and it sounds promising! Yakushimaru Etsuko, Misato Kinoshita, and Shuta Hasunuma are featured on the tracklist. I also think I hear Anna Yamada on a few other tracks, but she doesn't seem to be credited as a feature.