Pandabear

Horror Movies

^ I agree with you, I'm very sceptical about that remake... If anything, what keeps my hopes up a bit is the fact that during his promo for The Witch he mentioned how he hates like 90% of recent horror movies (that constantly re-use the same tropes), so in that light he made The Witch with a mindset like "okay, here's something I won't put in my movie..." :D So I hope this perspective pays off just as well with Nosferatu, tho there's really no need to re-imagine it imo.

Edited by Jigsaw9

Hell Night - Awfully underrated slasher with Linda Blair and Vincent Van Patten from 1981. Even though it's old it doesn't offer the subgenre anything new, but it's vey effective in its simplicity and I do find the cinematography and atmosphere very nice. As I said it doesn't offer anything new and if you've seen a few slashers you know how it'll play out, but if you're a fan of slashers there's no reason why you shouldn't see this.

hellnight_03.jpg

The Midnight Meat Train - Nice adaptation of Clive Barker's story. Enjoyed the original short story, and the movie's quite entertaining too. Shame about some of the CGI gore, but other than that I liked it. The movie has a vaguely ''Lovecraftian without the Lovecraft'' atmosphere going for it without resorting to the usual OOGA BOOGA SQUISHY TENTACLES stuff.

On a related note - does anyone know any other (good) horrors that are set in or around subways/subway stations? Only one I can think of is Creep (2004), but i haven't actully seen that one yet.

1 hour ago, Tokage said:

The Midnight Meat Train - Nice adaptation of Clive Barker's story. Enjoyed the original short story, and the movie's quite entertaining too. Shame about some of the CGI gore, but other than that I liked it. The movie has a vaguely ''Lovecraftian without the Lovecraft'' atmosphere going for it without resorting to the usual OOGA BOOGA SQUISHY TENTACLES stuff.

On a related note - does anyone know any other (good) horrors that are set in or around subways/subway stations? Only one I can think of is Creep (2004), but i haven't actully seen that one yet.

Try:

End of the line

Mimic (1997)

Or, Raw Meat (1973)

Raw Meat/Death Line and Marebito is the ones to go with for sure. Fantastic films! The latter is a very Lovecraftican film. It's neither an adaption nor a homage, yet there's something so very, very Lovecraftian about it. I need to rewatch both soon. Damn!

But does it have to be set to (mostly) a subway, or can it be subterranean horror in general, where the majority of the film is set to the underground (subways, caves, tunnels, sewers, whatever)?

Also, there's a norwegian horror film coming that looks fairly nice. A ghost film by Reinert Kiil who made Hora/Whore back in 2009, a film I wasn't very impressed with, but it was a cool addition to the nrowegian horror/exploitation scene, a scene that's been dead since... well, forever. However, Huset/The House, his new film, looks like it might be something good. The few pictures I've seen indicate a low-budget, yet gorgeous looking horror film with magnificent cinematography. I hope it lives up to the few ictures.

huset-poster-2.jpg

Oh yeah, there's Marebito too, can't believe I forgot about that one, still got that one sitting around on my HD as well.. Thanks for the recs!

This thing's gonna be screened at a film festival in my country... Anyone seen/heard of it?

Hush - A low-budget home invasion film that gets almost everything right. It feels familiar, because it really is. It's a traditional cat-and-mouse type of film and you more or less know how it'll play out, but it's really well-made and super effective in its simplicity. A twist to the film is that our protagonist is completely deaf and mute, which makes it very interesting. I thought the film was really cool.

Best part is when director Flanagan (Oculus) just mute the sound completely. That's when the intensity and terror is at its top in the film. An awfully simple but powerful way to do things.

HUSH16REVFEAT.jpg

Creepshow and Profondo Rosso. Creepshow's just delicious '80s campiness, plain and simple. I liked the uneven numbered shorts the most, the father's day one, the one with Leslie Nielsen and the one with the roach invasion. Space weed one didn't do much for me. Great stuff overall, though.

Profondo Rosso was cool... Same problem as with the last Argento movie I watched though, the audio track would just randomly jump to an Italian dub for no reason in the middle of some parts of dialogue. At least I did have English subs this time (horribly inaccurate ones, but still) Also, I accidentally spotted the killer already in like the first 20 minutes of the movie.. oops. Still a great looking film, great soundtrack and all that.

Edited by Tokage

On 4/13/2016 at 0:03 PM, Tokage said:

Only one I can think of is Creep (2004), but i haven't actully seen that one yet.

I watched Creep about a year ago. It was a pretty enjoyable movie. Really makes you feel dirty like you would expect from a train station, and the movie was pretty bleak throughout. The  setting was very done. Even when it is bright it seemed off somehow. It made me realize how scary being locked in a train station at night would be. The villain's backstory was mostly implied and I wish they had done more with that, but overall it was a solid movie. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Guess i'll definitely have to check it out then, sounds interesting.

I wasn't too impressed with Creep meself.  Gave it 6/10, which means it's alright, but not all that.

Check out Patrick Brice's Creep instead. Something different than what you're looking for, but I'm sure it'll please you anyway.

Housebound: Funny little horror movie from New Zealand. Honestly couldn't tell what age the female lead was supposed to be exactly, but whatever. Had some funny moments here and there, some nice twists, actual practical effects for the most part (from what I could tell at least...), all good. Nothing revolutionary by a long shot, but it's got charm. Also, that one guy REALLY reminded me of a Kiwi version of Bill Murray for some reason..

Not sure why did they do this, don't think it's necessary but it's happening anyway. 

Looking forward for colossal mess a la AvP and Freddy VS Jason lel :?

Edited by Candy Warhol

Pontypool: YEAH! Finally a spin on the zombie genre that feels fresh again. I really liked the concept of the virus being transmitted through words. Most of the action takes place inside a radio station, but despite that  it never really gets boring. Really enjoyed this one. Apparently it's based on a book, so I guess I'll have to look into that some more as well...

5 hours ago, Candy Warhol said:

Not sure why did they do this, don't think it's necessary but it's happening anyway. 

Looking forward for colossal mess a la AvP and Freddy VS Jason lel :?

The way they presented it made it feel more like a parody than a serious horror movie. Especially that part when the two girls saw Sadako, turned around, and saw Kayako. I'm not a big fan of the movies anyways (only watched the originals) but the novels are rather enjoyable.

Huset (The House) - A decent but very disappointing norwegian horror film. It's beautifully shot and visually stunning, well-acted and at times awfully effective, but director Reinert Kiil just doesn't seem to completely know what he wants this film to be and he steps in the salad a few times going for the cheap scare/thrill with cheap scares and loud music that's supossed to make you jump. The score basically screams "watch the fuck out", and it doesn't really work. It sounds massive and is well-composed, but doesn't do much more than that.

The story isn't the best either. It's a bit too complicated for the director to fully grasp around and there's just too many elements thrown in, which is a shame. He don't quite seem to know what he wants to tell us with the story. The whole exorcist story could've been fully left out IMO. DOesn't add anything to the film, despite looking fantastic. They feel a bit out of place.

But at its best Huset is a fine horror film, and it is at its best and most scary when it turns down the music and let the house, actors and story speak for itself.

But Kiil show that he's got an eye for simple and effective atmosphere and that he's someone to keep and eye on.

eifkeub12.jpg

The Witch: A New-England Folktale - I had huge expectations to this film and it surely didn't disappoint. It's a simple enough tale, but it's incredibly atmospheric and tense throughout the film,  and it's beautifully shot, visually stunning and superbly acted. I thought the film was very haunting and unsettling, much because of its visuals, but also because first-time director Robert Eggers taunts us with certain elements a bit throughout the film, and makes some incredible choices both story-wise and in the way he's decided to tell this story.

A brilliant debut!

the-witch-2.jpg

Edited by Bear

Scream: Shaggy had a rough life... Fun movie. Not as much of a comedy as I expected it to be, but I definitely enjoyed myself while watching it. Can't really take the Ghostface costume seriously in any way though.. Guess I should blame the Scary Movie franchise for that

I always liked the costume quite a lot. Fantastic film! I love how clever and self-aware the film as a whole is, but without losing the horror of it all.  Clever, but very dangerous and witty at the same time. You gotta watch the sequels too. The second and fourth are great too.

... I actually saw the fourth one when it came out (without seeing the first 3 parts... yea... please dont judge me....) and I really liked it. Gonna watch the second part this weekend too, already got it DLed

Ok, just finished watching the sequel...

Scream 2: I think I actually like it more than the first part, somehow. Already guessed at least ONE of the killers' identities before the end, but hell, who cares, that's not really what these movies are about anyway. I feel like the whole ''witty tribute to slashers'' element was even more prominent here than in the first one.

Edited by Tokage

I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle - With a title like that you'll expect something silly, over the top and cheesy as fuck, and I think they manage to make a film like that. It's as low-budget as it's stupid, but it's an incredibly fun horror comedy with a funny premise and good execution. Pure fun!

vampiremotorcycle.jpg

He Never Died - Totally unpredictable, almost insane black horror comedy with none other than Henry Rollins of Black Flag in the lead, and he does a brilliant job. The script isn't too funny, but the script along with Rollins' delivery makes it real fun. He's spot on every single time he spit out something fun, which is quite often. The plot and characters is lacking, they truly are, but Henry Rollins simply makes up for it. He's excellent!

Really liked He Never Died and I'll say something as bold as fuck: He Never Died is as good as Henry Rollins is cool.

he_never_died_still_h_15.jpg

Edited by Bear

The Black Room - Mystery-horror  with a brilliant Boris Karloff in a duel-role as a pair of twins, which means he gets plenty screentime which is fantastic. What an actor! It's very well-acted from everyone, superbly told and beautifully shot with striking cinematography that's sure to make your mouth water up.

But Boris Karloff is half the fun here, and this is easily among his best performances. Top 5 for sure, which says quite a lot.

boris-karloff-in-the-black-room.jpg

The Walking Dead - Another mid-30's horror flick with Boris Karloff, who delivers as usual. He's fantastic here, especially for the second half of the film. As creepy as he is good. I really liked this film, but as much as I liked this film I actually ended up being a bit disappointed by the end. It's directed by genius Michael Curtiz (The Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, Casablanca, White Christmas), so my expectations went straight through the roof. The film is great, but with a filmography like that I couldn't help getting my expectations up, and it didn't live up to those. However, I still rate it 8/10 though, so you could say I reallyy did like it.

Boris Karloff once again steals the show and he's 90% of the fun here. Legend!

3956728n_lv9xkf8d4_glqlhe9am2tno9nfaoaah